As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Oxygen Not Included] Breath of Fresh Air! (DLC in Early Access)

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    They take like 5 watts of power. Its pretty negligible.

Im still annoyed that the AI goes to all the trouble of putting on an oxygen mask and waiting at the airlock, just to dig one or two tiles and then run off to do something else.

This is probably an issue with your dupe's priorities! Also make sure you've got the priotize local tasks ticked, as that means that if there's say, Two 7 priority digging takss on opopsite side of the map, the dupe will stick to one group of that rather than switching between things.

Quick thing on priorities:

So there's two things going on with that system

The first is what number you put on an item. 1-9. or !!. The higher the number, the bigger the deal it is for dupes to do it. Generally speaking you should be leaving most things at 5, and only ticking stuff up when it's absolotuely vital that the dupes prioritize this. !! (the alert) means the dupes should drop everything and get this done *now*.

The other system is what a dupe's priorities are for each grouping of tasks, which you can set per dupe. In general it's a good idea to ban dupes from certain tasks (i.e only your research dupes should be allowed to research), and heavily deprioritize other tasks you don't want them to do but it might be helpful if they can do. It's generally pretty useful to have dupes be focused on tasks, like carrying and delivring goods while another dupe focuses on building.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Also make sure you've got the priotize local tasks ticked
    I didnt even know that was a thing! That's exactly what I wanted, Thanks!

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

I've played this game 1100 fucking hours and this is the first I'm hearing of this, haha

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

I've played this game 1100 fucking hours and this is the first I'm hearing of this, haha

If it's any consolation, it's something I forget to do basically every goddamned playthrough. Including my most recent one.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Some day I'll actually transition away from using plug slugs earlier. The little guys are adorable, and boy can they crank out the energy when happy... but they go through metal faster than one would think. At least they fart hydrogen.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I've got a weird bug, hopefully its just visual, but it seems to happen every time a duplicant is trying to grab something on the other side of a door. They'll walk towards the door, the door will start to open then glitch closed again, and the dupe will just stand there facing a closed door for a couple of seconds and then spring back into action moving in the opposite direction, with the thing they were fetching teleported into their hands. Its a bit off-putting to keep seeing what I think are idle dupes only to find out they're fine and the game is being weird.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Ive had the same thing with airlocks. If it starts to close on them they just sort of wait there until it resets and opens for them again, which takes a minute.

• Options
    Yep, I see it happening all the time, and it's pretty much 100% occurrence if they have a dig task just beyond the door. I imagine they'll sort it out. Early Access and all.

• Options
    This is in vanilla ONI without any of the DLCs though...

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    They did just unify the code base, it's possible something leaked through

• Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Ok, so I am chugging along ok, then I hit a snag. I have no idea where to get wood/oil/plastic. Where I am I am have been digging out a good chunk in all directions. I have probably dug out more than 50-60 spaces below/above the "end" of my base; and around 30-40 past the "end" of my base left/right of my base. I have only found a giant slime/polluted water area, a cold/ice area, some salt water, and a cold steam geyser. I have not found any wood/fiber/oil or even clay (near as I can see).

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    That slime area is made of slime, clay, algae, sedimentary rock and gold amalgam.

Your starting asteroid may not have wood at all.

Oil is waaaay down at the bottom, just above the magma. Keep dogging down. You'll likely have to break through a couple biomes on the way down down it. You'll not find oil digging sideways or up.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I'm on Terra if that matters. Also, I'm digging that deep down, must be something to help get to the dig site and then back up. I know the fire pole can help sliding down, but then they have to climb all the way back up. Doing just that that far away take up soo much time of the cycle. Also, I am wondering what to use the cold steam geyser for. Seems odd to call it cold steam, but that's what the game says, even though that seems odd.

RightfulSin on
    "If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    I'm on Terra if that matters. Also, I'm digging that deep down, must be something to help get to the dig site and then back up. I know the fire pole can help sliding down, but then they have to climb all the way back up. Doing just that that far away take up soo much time of the cycle. Also, I am wondering what to use the cold steam geyser for. Seems odd to call it cold steam, but that's what the game says, even though that seems odd.

This is part of the reason I generally lose interest in my playthroughs, I'm assuming the way to go is the build a big old pipeline to pump the oil so that you only have to make the trip to the center of the earth a couple of times to set up the infrastructure in the first place... but I've always lost interest before actually being able to accomplish it.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It's cool steam because it's only about 110C, which is relatively easy to cool so it becomes water. Regular Steam Vents put out at 500C (harder to make water, but better for steam turbines if you can get around the heat).

I generally quit and restart around the time I reach the oil (I had one base that made it past, but I got distracted by other stuff for a year and when I came back it had been updated out of being playable), but a key thing for me was the distance involved was begging for things like atmosuits and tubes, which required plastics which required oil.

My most successful base had me finding/printing a slickster or two, which I set up at the bottom of my base to eat all my CO2 and poop out a bit of oil. Not much, but enough to make a few things to make expanding down much easier. Likewise with Dreckos.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    That slime area is made of slime, clay, algae, sedimentary rock and gold amalgam.

Your starting asteroid may not have wood at all.

Oil is waaaay down at the bottom, just above the magma. Keep dogging down. You'll likely have to break through a couple biomes on the way down down it. You'll not find oil digging sideways or up.

Technically speaking, you might if your world has generated a bunch of oil wells.

Also, to your thing @Mr Ray - depends what you're doing and why. midgame, it's probably fine to just slam a pipe down there and a pump in a deep part to ensure you're getting a steady flow of oil for whatever you need. Later in the game... You probably have big(ish) infastructure projects, like tapping all the oil wells and capturing the natural gas they output, or even creating a Petroleum boiler.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    On getting oil/plastic, I'll assume this video is still applicable, but it helped me tremendously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlzfMNGCb4E

• Options
    I don’t know if there’s a specific condition that will set it up so it happens more often, but setting up a Dreklo ranch can get you a decent amount of plastic too when the…sheen? morph starts showing up.

Easier access to oil is one of the nice things I’ve found about in Spaced Out!, since usually the first asteroid you visit through the teleported has easy access to a oil biome… but other complications to make your life hell.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    You also will not have all the biomes, and definitely no oil if you are on some of the Spaced Out DLC Clustered starts vs the "Classic" one.

• Options
    Not on Spaced out (been thinking of getting it) as of yet. How does that work with an existing save n vanilla? Would it update the existing file save world or would I need to start over? I ask because I might do finally cave and get it so would want to know how they interact.

So Spaced Out gives better access to oil? Also I do suppose that would be "cooler" steam than the usual, I was just pointing out the irony of calling it "cold steam".

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Oil is sort of a mid-game concern

It can be a pain to process and making into plastics is also difficult. I think some people rush oil production but it’s definitely an advanced thing to do in my experience

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Not on Spaced out (been thinking of getting it) as of yet. How does that work with an existing save n vanilla? Would it update the existing file save world or would I need to start over? I ask because I might do finally cave and get it so would want to know how they interact.

So Spaced Out gives better access to oil? Also I do suppose that would be "cooler" steam than the usual, I was just pointing out the irony of calling it "cold steam".

I don't believe maps from the base game are compatible with Spaced Out, though there is an in-game option to deactivate the DLC if you want to switch back.

Right now there are six starting setups, three "classic" setups with standard, forest and swamp, and the Spaced Out versions of the same. Classic has you starting on a planetoid very similar in size and makeup to a base game but with the addition of some of the new swamp (if not starting as swamp) and sulfer biomes, while the Spaced Out has the Oil, Rust, and most the the starting Ice biomes (including the Themo Nulifier), plus a second starting biome, usually swamp, on a second planetoid that can be reach prior to space travel via 3 sets of teleporters, one for dupes that have a multi-cycle cooldown, and two 1-way teleporters for liquid, gas and conveyor transport that need to be activated on both sides first.

After that, the remaining planetoids remain roughly the same; one nearby planetoid thar has most of the initial uranium (plus the ocean biome for Spaced Out starts) that can be reached with the most basic rocket tech, and more distant biomes for things like water, magma, space-based materials and gassy moos, etc.

Swamp is the newest starting biome; all the P dirt makes O2 a non-issue, but has little in the way of fresh water, primary food source uses P water, and the only real source of power are plug slugs, which eat through metal ore at very high rate when tamed and require significant setup in batteries and capturing the hydrogen they release after eating to fully exploit their power potential.

Oh, and radiation; you'll almost certainly run into needing radbolts for research long before you're ready to make the radioactive planetoid your home. Just an FYI that on top of sunligh from the surface, both shine bugs and Wheezeworts produce (mostly safe) levels of radiation that can be used in radbolt production, though unless stacked to unsafe levels they will take several cycles to produce enough bolts for a single tech.
    klemming wrote: »
    Trying to get back into this after a year or so away and what the hell deodorizers need power now?
    I guess my old slime biome cleansing strategy of digging out the entire area and filling it with wall to wall deodorizers isn't going to work anymore, huh?

It's largely because deodorizers are more important now. Instead of "just" being a vector for slimelung, Polluted Oxygen (Both in Spaced Out and the base game) now gives dupes the "Yucky Lungs" debuff, which increases their oxygen consumption. Most gases not O2 or CO2 also have irritation debuffs as well, meaning it's still ideal to have exosuits for dupes having to enter those areas even if oxygen masks cover their O2 needs.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It’s been so long since I’ve played on base, what was in there and what was added with the DLC sort of blend together in my mind.

Swampy biomes, if memory serves, give access to mud now (in both normal and polluted varieties). Which is handy since you can have a dupe process it in a new building that separates it out into the correct dirt and water types. Bog bucket plants are fun food sources too, since they grow off polluted water.

The Spaced Out secondary planetoids also usually have easy access to the surface so you can get rocket programs going sooner. (Since you’ll need to due to the tech tree changes.) Also nice because it lets you set up solar panels easier so power becomes less of a concern on that one.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options

It can be a pain to process and making into plastics is also difficult. I think some people rush oil production but it’s definitely an advanced thing to do in my experience

Well, if I recall correctly I am around cycle 50 right now and have been doing exploratory digging like I said. The stuff around me has a lot of slime and is producing a lot of slime lung and such. For the suit I need plastic and plastic needs oil. Sadly digging as far down has I have has run me into a large chunk of slime and polluted water. It does have a fair bit of those fish things but without the plastic I can't catch them, right? So I am needing the oil for the plastic.

Course, as stated it might be moot because I might be starting over, due to DLC purchasing.

• Options
    …*do* Atmo Suits require plastic in base? It’s been a while, and if so yeah that can suck. In SO, they use refined metal and reed fiber.

Also, I wouldn’t discount the base oxygen masks. Those I’m *pretty* sure got pushed out to everyone in the Breath of Fresh Air update, and they just need some basic metal (and pump oxygen into the base stations) and you need to build the Workstation. They work pretty dang well if the environment itself isn’t harmful to a dupe. I’ve used them for little excursions onto the surface, like for people who need to set up solar panels or for a researcher running the Material Science station (since you can get radiation from space to run the radbolt generator if you don’t mind them overheating and exploding every so often).

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    …*do* Atmo Suits require plastic in base? It’s been a while, and if so yeah that can suck. In SO, they use refined metal and reed fiber.

Also, I wouldn’t discount the base oxygen masks. Those I’m *pretty* sure got pushed out to everyone in the Breath of Fresh Air update, and they just need some basic metal (and pump oxygen into the base stations) and you need to build the Workstation. They work pretty dang well if the environment itself isn’t harmful to a dupe. I’ve used them for little excursions onto the surface, like for people who need to set up solar panels or for a researcher running the Material Science station (since you can get radiation from space to run the radbolt generator if you don’t mind them overheating and exploding every so often).

Pretty sure they are just refined metal and reed fiber, even in base. I don't see why that would have changed for Spaced Out, considering that oil is arguably less dangerous (if slightly more delayed) to grab in it.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    I built my oil refinery and plastic press down above the oil biome. Sure it gets hot down there but I made it all from steel and it never overheats. I even have two petroleum generators and two natural gas generators down there to make use of the byproducts.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options

I've started just building drecko farms with meal lice and skipping oil entirely.

• Options

I've started just building drecko farms with meal lice and skipping oil entirely.

Petrol is too useful/critical for cooling loops to ignore forever, but yeah glossy dreckos are where I get my plastic, not refineries. It's just way faster, easier and less Dupe Time intensive.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

Petrol is too useful/critical for cooling loops to ignore forever, but yeah glossy dreckos are where I get my plastic, not refineries. It's just way faster, easier and less Dupe Time intensive.

It has the added bonus of adding to your food supply, and by raising both, you get reed fiber as well. Superior in every way.

It does take a bit of know how to get it up and running, though. There's a bit of a learning curve to efficient drecko farming.

• Options

It has the added bonus of adding to your food supply, and by raising both, you get reed fiber as well. Superior in every way.

It does take a bit of know how to get it up and running, though. There's a bit of a learning curve to efficient drecko farming.

Do you have any designs you like?

One thing that always frustrates me on drecos is the dupe labor Time, because you have to wait for the damn things to slowly climb off the ceiling and around to your grooming and shearing stations. No clever tricks like you can do with a door to keep hatches in a 4 wide space while still having a full sized area

• Options

Do you have any designs you like?

One thing that always frustrates me on drecos is the dupe labor Time, because you have to wait for the damn things to slowly climb off the ceiling and around to your grooming and shearing stations. No clever tricks like you can do with a door to keep hatches in a 4 wide space while still having a full sized area

Personally I don't worry about it, but if you want to get fancy with automation, you could have the tiles below the roof of the farm be a line of pneumatic (mesh) doors tied to a motion sensor and a pulse setup so they will constantly open and close so long as a dupe is standing at the ranching or grooming station. This will make sure that as long as the dupe is there, the dreckos can't wander the ceiling without getting dropped back to the ground.

• Options
    Woo, latest experimental patch for Spaced Out added liquid and gas input/output ports directly to the capsule module! No more building and then demolishing a liquid storage tank just to fill the toiliet with water. (Also, the out-of-cockpit ports will dump their contents into space if used during flight w/o a proper storage.) However, you need to re-build the module for the ports to work. It also has a new 1x3 toliet and Hand Sanitizer for more space in the module.

You do want petrol eventually with Spaced Out DLC, as Petroleum rockets are arguably the best balance between ease-of-refueling and range for interplanetary deliveries.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Woo, latest experimental patch for Spaced Out added liquid and gas input/output ports directly to the capsule module! No more building and then demolishing a liquid storage tank just to fill the toilet with water. (Also, the out-of-cockpit ports will dump their contents into space if used during flight w/o a proper storage.) However, you need to re-build the module for the ports to work. It also has a new 1x3 toilet and Hand Sanitizer for more space in the module.

Oh my god, those are all amazing things. The only thing more I could want is something compact for managing suits inside rockets. Maybe a port inside the rocket that you can pump oxygen to that would let a dupe refill the suit?

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    So I am building my hatch ranch. Is the best way to setup a kill room still to set up a water room to dump some eggs into and let it die?

Right now I have my breeding pair in one stable, a separate room next to that with incubators, and a third room that can be filled with water. Above those three rooms is a walkway for the dupes to use ladders for room access. I'm trying to have a coal and meat farm all in one. Also, if the kill room with water works can the meat be auto swept for kitchen delivery?

• Options
    Is it possible to automatically kill innocent creatures? Of course there is, we're gamers!

I'd refer you to this video by Brothgar for all your critter-murdering needs.

I've adapted one of his designs to make my automated meat harvester (in progress because I'm still working these things out):
    5tmdjgdn2az0.jpg
    And the automation settings:
    eaamkhj0s42i.jpg
    Deliver any unwanted critters to the drop-off (the one tile gap makes sure babies won't go in, if that's something you want. Eventually they'll wander into the pit, then wonder why the door just closed and why it's so wet in here.
    The motion sensor makes sure that it won't close on a dupe who's standing in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    I set the buffer gates to 10 seconds to give the water time to settle between doors, but that may be overly cautious on my part, 5 is probably fine.

This is just for the ones that are already here (I have rather a lot of them), but setting a conveyor to drop eggs in there should work fine; as soon as they hatch they'll set it off. And a sweeper to grab the meat and eggshell should be an easy add.

• Options
    Honestly, unless they've changed it it's 110% easiest to just deliver eggs straight into an underwater room and have them mature naturally. But that sort of of Brothgar-style kill room is very very useful. Personally, i tend to build mine a little bit bigger (just same basic design but with twice the width) so i can fit in an auto-sweeper etc. I tend to have the eggs delivered just outside so that the critters hatch and crawl in on their own. Though looks like with that new "Count critters" and not eggs thing, they'll hatch just fine.

Then you just ship that meat to the poor dupe who is going to be stuck running the oven 24/7

• Options
    Is there something that can tell when food is frozen? With the new rules meaning decay isn't as easy to get around, I'm thinking ship everything to a frozen biome, then ship it back once it's cold enough and dropping it in a vacuum. Dunno how to do the automation for that, though.

Unless it could freeze while on the conveyor, so all I'd have to do is send it on a loop?

• Options
    edited August 2021
    klemming wrote: »
    Is there something that can tell when food is frozen? With the new rules meaning decay isn't as easy to get around, I'm thinking ship everything to a frozen biome, then ship it back once it's cold enough and dropping it in a vacuum. Dunno how to do the automation for that, though.

Unless it could freeze while on the conveyor, so all I'd have to do is send it on a loop?

C02 and Chlorine count as sterile environments too, so you really just need to have the food stored in a room that's full of the stuff *and* below freezing. Unless the idea is freeze it once and use the vacuum to keep it cold?

Honestly though, outside of "freeze drying" rocket rations, 9 times out of 10 I've found that food that rots in the fridge is food that, before would have rot on the floor because there was no room in the fridge to begin with.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm assuming that frozen food won't stay that way if I put it in a 28C CO2 pit. But vacuum should keep it that way, right?

Pretty much everything I'm building is Because I Can rather than to fill an particularly urgent need.
    I've carefully gathered close to a hundred paku in a single tile pond (I'm reasonably sure they're happy with their lot, I just haven't checked), so between that and the PETA-offender above I've got enough meat and fish to keep us going forever, I just want to make this work.