As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Boyfriend Dungeon, Garden Story and Axiom Verge 2 out today!

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Rolo why did you have that comprehensive nerf ammo post just ready to go

i like nerf blasters and nerf-related things, I play pretty regularly with my nieces and have helped them build and upgrade their toys

as hobbies go I don't really see it as particularly worse or better than say, spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on electronics and computer components to play a military shooter

Reminds me of when I was into paintball, but seems more approachable and less painful.

Paintball was fun but dang is that an expensive hobby to play even at the recreational competitive level I was at.

yeah I used to work as a contractor for a paintball wholesaler, and got into it from there - once you get beyond the introductory markers it really is a step up into hundreds of dollars for a setup where you can play for an afternoon, which always made it a bit too expensive to introduce to my cousins, and darts are generally safer / more reusable

y0J0tHa.jpg

there's also just the issue of the increasing amount of milsim markers in the hobby - these things looking way too much like actual guns to be shown anywhere that isn't a paintball field, and for a bunch of black teens who wanted to play in a park it's not really a great option

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Be wary of any claim that some material is biodegradable, there is an industry built around making plastic that is """biodegradable,""" if you were to use a ton of power over several years in special facilities that could hypothetically be built but have not because there's no profit in it, just to use 'biodegradable' as a technically not false advertising point. In reality it all just forces the actual composting plants to fish a bunch of plastic out of the stream from people who take the labeling at face value and then it goes to the landfill.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Rolo why did you have that comprehensive nerf ammo post just ready to go

i like nerf blasters and nerf-related things, I play pretty regularly with my nieces and have helped them build and upgrade their toys

as hobbies go I don't really see it as particularly worse or better than say, spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on electronics and computer components to play a military shooter

No I'm not judging then hobby, nerf guns are neat

It was just a surprisingly thorough post

ah, yeah that's more me trying to wrestle with the idea of if i'm tacitly supporting the military-industrial complex by encouraging young people to play with gun-like objects

and the answer is "probably yes", but if they're already playing halo/fortnite/codblops we've pretty much already crossed that bridge

I ain't gonna judge people into nerf guns but now that you point it out it probably ties into US gun fetishization huh

BahamutZERO.gif
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Played a bit more Fallen Order after power came back on last night. Dathomir! It's an awful place and I hate it but the game keeps stopping me from getting it done. First with needing the jump upgrade and now I have to go fix my lightsaber.

Since when are actual zombies a thing in Star Wars. Feels more like an excuse to make a swarm type enemy in a game that does not handle multi-target combat very well AT ALL.

I ain't gonna judge people into nerf guns but now that you point it out it probably ties into US gun fetishization huh

oh definitely

like nerf stuff, especially the on-brand stuff you can get from your local target/walmart, generally stops at "this looks like a toy rifle", and they'll sell you a bunch of functionally-useless add-ons for it to give you that feeling of optimizing your loadout
    PrAkoeF.jpg
    ibWLFHD.jpg

but the aftermarket high-performance nerf stuff generally just uses the same specifications as actual real-world firearms

JuXRTyr.jpg
    so this thing can take all the attachments you'd put on an AR-15, same stock, same picatinny mounts, same foregrip
    for me personally this thing is too similar to an actual firearm to be played with outdoors, but just buying the parts for it is sending money to the same people who manufacture actual firearms equipment

weirdly this stuff is popular the world over though (singapore, for some reason, LOVES milsim style nerf and airsoft blasters), so at least gun fetishism pathology is shared in places where there aren't as many gun violence crimes, so who knows, maybe there's not as direct a line of causation as I've previously feared

which is all a roundabout way of saying that I don't think I'll ever be done with my own self-inflicted intellectually bankrupt moral hand-wringing over this subject

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Nerf is absolutely one of those hobbies that I enjoy (although I am not deep in by any means) and I'm not sure how I would handle if I had kids

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I'm not a gun nut, but I'm good friends with someone who is, and so have handled and fired plenty of all kinds of guns. And man, I dunno, some of these of these toys feel a little too close to real ass guns. Like I'm instinctively keeping the finger off the trigger and doing chamber checks and shit.

But... fuck yeah they're fun.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

There was actually a backlash in the nerf community when Hasbro went from "This gun looks like a tiger" to "this gun looks like a technicolor assault rifle from aliens". I believe they derisively called that stuff "tacticool" with all the rails you can attach sights and crap to.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The core talent from Typhoon Studios, the developer behind Journey to the Savage Planet, have reunited to open a new studio called Raccoon Logic with backing from Tencent.

The new opening will be based in Montreal, Canada, and has managed to acquire the rights to Journey to the Savage Planet from Google, which bought the franchise alongside Typhoon Studios back in 2019 to help bring first-party content to Stadia.

The founding members of Typhoon include creative director Alex Hutchinson, who previously held the same role at Typhoon and prior to that directed Far Cry 4 and Assassin's Creed 3 at Ubisoft, and studio head and executive producer Reid Schneider, who also served as studio head at Typhoon and helped establish WB Games Montreal.
    Yeah, checks out

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Did this include the dude who got into a twitter spat with a Giant Bomb employee over Stadia and had to hastily edit his profile because it just said "creative director at Google?"

Did this include the dude who got into a twitter spat with a Giant Bomb employee over Stadia and had to hastily edit his profile because it just said "creative director at Google?"

yeah that's Alex Hutchinson

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Nerf is absolutely one of those hobbies that I enjoy (although I am not deep in by any means) and I'm not sure how I would handle if I had kids

Something I kind of think about as well.

My hobbies have been: violent Videogames (FPS and strategy wargames are my jam), TKD, Kendo, Fencing, HEMA (full contact with wrestling which broke my ankle) and paintball. Now I am doing Rugby.

It’s weird because I would not describe myself as a violent person at all but like… clearly part of me likes hitting people that consent to it. I also do a lot of military history reading, play military themed miniature games and boardgames…

And if I had a kid would I want them to do any of this stuff? Kinda… nah? Not really?

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Pointing out that it is pretty much all white men? Trolling. Definitely trolling and nothing else

edited August 2021
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »

Something I kind of think about as well.

My hobbies have been: violent Videogames (FPS and strategy wargames are my jam), TKD, Kendo, Fencing, HEMA (full contact with wrestling which broke my ankle) and paintball. Now I am doing Rugby.

It’s weird because I would not describe myself as a violent person at all but like… clearly part of me likes hitting people that consent to it. I also do a lot of military history reading, play military themed miniature games and boardgames…

And if I had a kid would I want them to do any of this stuff? Kinda… nah? Not really?

the obvious answer is to tell your kid how cool all of the dangerous stuff is, but then ban your child from accounting

no child of mine will EVER be an accountant.
    accounting is... too extreme... I don't want to see you even trying it
    if all your friends though it would be "cool" to go for their level 2 Actuary certification, would you do it too? don't give in to peer pressure!

and then hope that teenage rebellion leads them astray

Brolo on
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDclD1QMmYM

most of these games will be coming to PC at some point

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Played a bit more Fallen Order after power came back on last night. Dathomir! It's an awful place and I hate it but the game keeps stopping me from getting it done. First with needing the jump upgrade and now I have to go fix my lightsaber.

Since when are actual zombies a thing in Star Wars. Feels more like an excuse to make a swarm type enemy in a game that does not handle multi-target combat very well AT ALL.

Real answer: this type of zombie since the CGI Clone Wars cartoon, season 2 or 3. There was another, more Romero type of zombie introduced in (imo) some awful EU novels, but I don't think that type exists at all in the Disney canon.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Bomb Rush Cyberfunk still looks cool as hell.

oooh garden story available today!

boyfriend dungeon available today!

axiom verge 2 available today!

not sure what the PC status of these is, but they're listing as console-timed-exclusive

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular

Also the "women are too hard to animate so that's why they aren't in our game" and the "streamers should pay devs" guy

So just a really cool dude all around

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    What axiom verge 2 is out already? That snuck up on me!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    FUCK YEAH

HOLY SHIT

Goddamn, today's gonna be a good day. Axiom Verge 2

What axiom verge 2 is out already? That snuck up on me!

on EGS

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    So i'll have to click that icon on my desktop I never use a couple of times before I can play it.

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

Also the "women are too hard to animate so that's why they aren't in our game" and the "streamers should pay devs" guy

So just a really cool dude all around

there should be a way to pre-ignore a developer on steam

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

Goddamn how long as Boyfriend Dungeon been on my wishlist and now it just pops out of nowhere.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Woah let's be fair to Alex Hutchinson

He's also the guy who said games journalists are racist for liking Japanese games

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Axiom Verge 2 is out? Fuck me sideways, why do I have to be at work?

JtgVX0H.png
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    The core talent from Typhoon Studios, the developer behind Journey to the Savage Planet, have reunited to open a new studio called Raccoon Logic with backing from Tencent.

The new opening will be based in Montreal, Canada, and has managed to acquire the rights to Journey to the Savage Planet from Google, which bought the franchise alongside Typhoon Studios back in 2019 to help bring first-party content to Stadia.

The founding members of Typhoon include creative director Alex Hutchinson, who previously held the same role at Typhoon and prior to that directed Far Cry 4 and Assassin's Creed 3 at Ubisoft, and studio head and executive producer Reid Schneider, who also served as studio head at Typhoon and helped establish WB Games Montreal.
    Yeah, checks out

Had to look up who that is. It really does track - and the tweets I read bring back some really icky memories of some douchebag animator/dev guy who got all uppity on behalf of Ubi when they claimed it was near impossible to implement women in...AC Unity? I think? As playable characters, because the entire skeleton had to be replaced (which is bs of course). His incredible argument was that unless I was broing out with Andy Serkis, I didn't know shit about animation and should shut up, lol. I tried to track down the messages, because for a splitsecond I had the feeling that it was Hutchinson himself, but probably not.

Anyway, fuck that guy

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021

paxa7hX.jpg

there is at least one book.

Han and Chewie and a pair of kids from some of the YA books are stuck on a star destroyer filled with zombies because of imperial bioweapons research, etc.

there was a pretty awesome SWG crossover when it came out, a portion of Dathomir was fenced off and you'd go and kill zombies and rescue people and get rad battle damage armor and stuff

Depressperado on
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Somehow I feel deeply apprehensive about BFDungeon's surprise release and extremely positive about Axiom Verge 2's surprise release.

Something about BFDungeon's status as an eternal heavily advertised but mediocre vertical slice at PAX makes me think the game is just being kicked out the door while Axiom Verge 2 being "whenever the creator is finished it drops" makes perfect sense.

I ate an engineer

there is at least one book.

Han and Chewie and a pair of kids from some of the YA books are stuck on a star destroyer filled with zombies because of imperial bioweapons research, etc.

there was a pretty awesome SWG crossover when it came out, a portion of Dathomir was fenced off and you'd go and kill zombies and rescue people and get rad battle damage armor and stuff

Honestly zombies encased in Stormtrooper armor sounds like the least threatening thing if they're the biting type.

edited August 2021
    milski wrote: »
    Somehow I feel deeply apprehensive about BFDungeon's surprise release and extremely positive about Axiom Verge 2's surprise release.

Something about BFDungeon's status as an eternal heavily advertised but mediocre vertical slice at PAX makes me think the game is just being kicked out the door while Axiom Verge 2 being "whenever the creator is finished it drops" makes perfect sense.

we'll find out in ~20 minutes

Brolo on
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    How do these people keep failing upward? I mean c'mon. I need a job too and i could do those jobs better than Alex fricken Hutchinson.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    edited August 2021
    Brolo on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    same way this shit always happens. they just hire their (white male)buddies from other parts of the industry so it's all one big incestuous club house with the same problems spread across it because it's the same people every time

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I ate an engineer
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I love Slime Rancher so, so, so fucking much. I am incredibly excited for the sequel, even though I'm sure it's a long ways away

JtgVX0H.png

t saves its best tricks until last, but Axiom Verge 2 is another enthralling Metroidvania from solo dev Thomas Happ, and its clever dimension puzzles are a retro-infused feast for the senses. It's out now, and here's our full review -
    https://rockpapershotgun.com/axiom-verge-2-review

This discussion has been closed.