As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] Nope, you still can't buy anything

1939495969799»

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    EVGA has a good reputation, but then again I thought ASUS did too.

Their 3090s spontaneously combusting while playing New World was not a good look, though.

5gsowHm.png
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    That kinda feels like a problem with the game though?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    That kinda feels like a problem with the game though?

Or the drivers.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    The 3090s dying is a great example of why you go EVGA.

They were shipping out replacements to affected users before they even sent their busted cards in.

OrokosPA.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yeah, a manufacturing/configuration issue with cards is not in and of itself a reason to dismiss a company.

Its their reaction to the issue that makes or breaks them. Gigabyte with their explosive power supplies is a good example of a company just trying to offload stale stock and not giving a shit what happens to the consumer.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Of course if it happens with everything a company makes you should avoid them

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Back in the day the Gigabyte "UltraDurable" boards were super solid. Not overly feature rich but solid boards with good components. Gigabyte seemed to lose it's a way bit when the industry shifted towards trying to push really blingy boards.

Speaking of Gigabyte...

I bought a Socket 939 Gigabyte board back in 2019 for a retro pc I was working on. It didn't even power on, and almost every single cap on it was bulging. Got a full refund, and dude didn't want to pay for shipping to get it sent back to him. So I still have it. I had intended to use it as a soldering practice project, but with the new baby, and the 1000 sq ft we were crammed into, there was no space for such a project.

In the intervening years, I bought a house, with acres, and a detached workshop. I had room to dig out the $20 soldering pen I got off Amazon and actually use it. I've been practicing soldering. Finished a clock kit. Fixed an ancient toaster the in-laws gave to us. I upgraded from a no-brand Chinese POS to a nice Hakko iron. I feel like I have a decent enough grasp on the use of the tools. I ordered replacement caps on Mouser.

This weekend, I begin the laborious process of replacing around 30 caps on the damned thing, and seeing if it powers on then. If it goes well, I have an old Shuttle HOT-591P motherboard, coincidentally recently features in an LTT video about every AMD CPU, that also has a few bulging caps. Only 12 need replacing on that. It's probably the far easier job. But it also still has life in it, and otherwise works, albeit with stability issues. So I'm saving that for last.

Moving out to the country is awesome. Highly recommend it.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Shuttle. Now there is a name I haven't heard in a very long time.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I imagine the chip shortages has reduced overall build quality everywhere

The GN video on the exploding power supplies was pretty crazy. They're shuffling in whatever components are on hand even on identical models

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Been lurking the thread for a while now since I became aware of the stupid GPU situation we are in. Bought a 9900K recently to upgrade my desktop and finally decided to do it on Sunday. Plopped it in like I've been doing for decades and put it back online and discovered my motherboard died. Luckily it is still under warranty so I RMA it. Since I'm impatient I decide to buy a new motherboard to play on while I wait (plus it would be a good backup for my desktop). Picked up a Gigabyte board and then got it up and running last night. Open up this thread this morning and read all the posts saying avoid them. :( Dangit... Here I thought they were still decent from the old days since my wife has had her board running for a long time now.

*sigh* I just am having some bad luck with computers lately.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Been lurking the thread for a while now since I became aware of the stupid GPU situation we are in. Bought a 9900K recently to upgrade my desktop and finally decided to do it on Sunday. Plopped it in like I've been doing for decades and put it back online and discovered my motherboard died. Luckily it is still under warranty so I RMA it. Since I'm impatient I decide to buy a new motherboard to play on while I wait (plus it would be a good backup for my desktop). Picked up a Gigabyte board and then got it up and running last night. Open up this thread this morning and read all the posts saying avoid them. :( Dangit... Here I thought they were still decent from the old days since my wife has had her board running for a long time now.

Well, you may or may not have a bad experience. That 3570K is still running on a 10 year old Gigabyte motherboard.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Well shit, I got one of those 750W Gigabyte PSU's bundled with my GPU. Was planning on using it on my next build. So much for that!

Xeddicus wrote: »
    Well shit, I got one of those 750W Gigabyte PSU's bundled with my GPU. Was planning on using it on my next build. So much for that!

At least now you know better. I would be piiiiiiiissed if I had a build get wrecked by their broken shit.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

I got one of the 850W that was bundled with my 3080 and it's in my son's computer. Haven't had any problems. In limited research when I did look into it the 750W seemed to be reported as having issues more vs the 850W but I dunno.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    Orca wrote: »

Well, you may or may not have a bad experience. That 3570K is still running on a 10 year old Gigabyte motherboard.

Yeah, I miss the days when I could trust a company when I saw their name on the motherboard box. Of course those days were nearly 30 years ago now, and the building computers market was much bigger and easier.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular

FWIW I'm on about month 18 on a Aorus Master X570 with no issues. Anecdotally I don't know that I'll go with Gigabyte next time, but this board had a glowing review from Buildzoid so I'll continue to run with it until I get problems.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    When I had to RMA my EVGA 3080, they gave me zero difficulties about it (and advance cross-shipped the replacement) even though the original Amazon purchase receipt I had showed someone else's name and address (because they bought it and had it shipped to me). I had concerns they'd deny the RMA because of that.

EVGA gets top marks in my book.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Every company makes lemons from time to time Doesn't mean everything they were do is bad

Every company makes lemons from time to time Doesn't mean everything they were do is bad

It depends on how frequent the lemons are too.

HDDs are the big ones; WD has had some stinkers but they're doing fine now.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    MSI had a rash of bad boards around the days of Abit. They've since fixed those issues.

I'm still wary of ASRock but I know their last few board generations had good reviews/reliability

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    MSI had a rash of bad boards around the days of Abit. They've since fixed those issues.

I'm still wary of ASRock but I know their last few board generations had good reviews/reliability

Abit, now that is an old name. That company just disappeared basically overnight.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA

Very true. Heck I remember when Thermaltake was probably the worst thing you could buy for a PSU. Now they've been around long enough and I see that people actually recommend them. This also made me look to see if Antec is still around (and apparently they are).

oosik_betsuni.png
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Yea, in every product category there is a "Person A had a bad experience with Company X" while Person B had bought 10 things in a row from Company X without an issue but by god don't ask them about their experience with Company Y.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    When I had to RMA my EVGA 3080, they gave me zero difficulties about it (and advance cross-shipped the replacement) even though the original Amazon purchase receipt I had showed someone else's name and address (because they bought it and had it shipped to me). I had concerns they'd deny the RMA because of that.

EVGA may or may not make quality products, but my experience has them as the best customer service.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    More motherboard recommendations - anyone have any B550 recommendations? Trying to weigh up B550 vs X570.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »

I got one of the 850W that was bundled with my 3080 and it's in my son's computer. Haven't had any problems. In limited research when I did look into it the 750W seemed to be reported as having issues more vs the 850W but I dunno.

For what it's worth: the 850 exploded for GamersNexus also, but at a lower rate than the 750. I would for sure replace the power supply with something else when you can afford to. They couldn't definitively prove it was at fault, but the 3080 they had in their test bench for one of the failed supplies failed when the power supply went kaput.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    More motherboard recommendations - anyone have any B550 recommendations? Trying to weigh up B550 vs X570.

I can only say that I built a pc for a friend using the b550 Tomahawk and it was a pleasure to work with.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

IIRC evga still has transferable warranties anyway?

steam_sig.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

I can only say that I built a pc for a friend using the b550 Tomahawk and it was a pleasure to work with.

Unfortunately it doesn't have Wifi. I want a board with Wifi 6.

Two I'm looking at - Asus ROG Strix Gaming B550-F and Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus.

Both have Wifi 6, TUF gains points for being a bit cheaper and not having RGB.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
This discussion has been closed.