As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kids/Parenting: It’s fine, everything is fine.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Parents of SW Ohio kids who got HFM this summer, represent! :biggrin:

We were freaking out because a week before we left on vacation my daughter had to be picked up early because she threw up at school (and she has never thrown up before in her life, aside from spitting up as a newborn). She got off easy though with just 1 sore on her cheek and one on her tongue. She got over it just a day or two before we had to leave but then caught the other bug circulating around daycare that week, which was an upper respiratory virus. Let me tell you how fun it was driving 16 hours in the car with a sick kid who is too young to take cold medicine and cannot entertain herself for long stretches at a time.

Oh man. I drove from SW Ohio to the Outer Banks... I don't even remember how long of a drive it was (eternity) but my son was about 1 and my oldest was 4. My son had a double ear infection that we were unaware of at the time. My daughter got night terrors. So on our drive home we were about 100 or so miles out and my daughter started screeching which of course made the son upset which causes a whole wave of emotions I'm not even sure I can recall correctly.... I told my wife that if our marriage survived that trip then we know we'll make it through anything because that was definitely a test!

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Day 1 of daycare and we get an email sent to us (to every parent) saying Hands, Foot and mouth virus is sweeping the daycare. And if your child gets it you must wait for the sores to heal before they come back in.

Ah how I've not missed this part of the daycare lol

Hey guess what, a small percentage of adults can also contract this, and the symptoms are WAAAY worse for adults. Ask me how I know!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    They really need to rename Hand, Foot and Mouth to "It sucks a bit, but they'll be fine" disease to help out new parents.

Because holy shit does it sound dire when you first hear it.

BSoB on
  • Options
    BSoB wrote: »
    They really need to rename Hand, Foot and Mouth to "It sucks a bit, but they'll be fine" disease to help out new parents.

See my post just above yours for a rebuttal ;-)

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Parents of SW Ohio kids who got HFM this summer, represent! :biggrin:

We were freaking out because a week before we left on vacation my daughter had to be picked up early because she threw up at school (and she has never thrown up before in her life, aside from spitting up as a newborn). She got off easy though with just 1 sore on her cheek and one on her tongue. She got over it just a day or two before we had to leave but then caught the other bug circulating around daycare that week, which was an upper respiratory virus. Let me tell you how fun it was driving 16 hours in the car with a sick kid who is too young to take cold medicine and cannot entertain herself for long stretches at a time.

Oh man. I drove from SW Ohio to the Outer Banks... I don't even remember how long of a drive it was (eternity) but my son was about 1 and my oldest was 4.

It's time we told you the truth. You're still in the car on that drive.

What, you thought the events of the last five years actually happened? How plausible does that seem?

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    Go to daycare, they said. It'll be fun, they said. Meet new kids and catch interesting diseases, they said.

Haha when my kids started daycare I went from getting kicked off the list at my physician a few times because of never coming in to getting chest x-rays to see if something is bronchitis or pneumonia while the doctor scratches off the antibiotic he was going to prescribe, writing a new one down and telling me he'll give me 'the good one'... now that they're in grade school I'm back at getting kicked off the list again, although the pandemic response probably is as much to credit as their age and improved hygiene practices.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    And we just got notification of a confirmed HFM case in our kiddos classroom. Awesome! This is on top of the COVID contact in their class last week.

Ugh!

• Options
    oldmanken wrote: »
    And we just got notification of a confirmed HFM case in our kiddos classroom. Awesome! This is on top of the COVID contact in their class last week.

Ugh!

Good news is, if your kid gets it, they might be unhappy for a couple of days, but they'll get over it.

Great news is, if you're one of the lucky few, there's a chance you might get to work on your stay-puft marshmallow man routine for a bit!

Also, look forward to all the skin sloughing off your hands and feet once the disease has run its course! Oh also find a hobby that won't require walking or typing for a week or two.

Ain't I a stinker?

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    So my son hasn't had any accidents in the last few days of potty training. Like, he's been really good about using the toilet when he has to, way faster than his sister did at the same age.

Are we....are we almost done with diapers (except for naps/sleep)?! It feels like the finish line is so close.
    My friends went all in with four kids, with the first born in 09 and the last is just getting into the potty training groove, and for the first time in more than a decade, a truly diaper free life lies in front of them.
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    @urahonky daddy, where do trees come from?

"Bad kids get stuck in the ground head first and their legs keep growing."
    "We live outside a forest."
    "Yup. Used to be a whoooooooole lotta bad kids around here. Used to be."

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Safety proofing doorknobs, any better designs then the classic oversized cover with cutouts? We have those currently and they're difficult for some of the non-toddlers in the house to operate.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Potty training update:

My son has been really good about using the toilet. Like, he went all of last week and the weekend, with no accidents. Then, for no reason whatsoever, he had 3 poop accidents at school. I'm going to chock it up to bad luck.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Potty training update:

My son has been really good about using the toilet. Like, he went all of last week and the weekend, with no accidents. Then, for no reason whatsoever, he had 3 poop accidents at school. I'm going to chock it up to bad luck.

Typical of potty training. He'll do great, then he'll slip, back and forth until all of a sudden there's no more poopcidents.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    And two more today. Stop sliding son!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »

See my post just above yours for a rebuttal ;-)

He didn't say any adults would be fine, just the kids.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    knight11eknight11e Registered User regular
    Anybody have any recommendations for kids masks for all day at school? The ones I’ve gotten so far have been ok but not great.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    knight11e wrote: »
    Anybody have any recommendations for kids masks for all day at school? The ones I’ve gotten so far have been ok but not great.

I'm going to recommend my wife's etsy page for some cloth masks. It's here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/GlacialMemories if you want to have a custom image put on the mask just let me know via PM and I can have her put just about anything you want on it. We have about 4 of them for my kids and they're very comfortable. I can't comment on efficacy of a soft cloth mask (the kids sizes don't have a pocket for filters for some reason). But it might work underneath a bigger one if you need to.

urahonky on
  • Options
    I'm looking into some kids-sized KN95 masks, because I'm pretty freaked with my kids being too young to get vaccinated anytime soon (10 and 6). I worked off this list
    https://www.nbcnews.com/shopping/wellness/best-kids-kn95-masks-n1275419
    and ordered a couple to see how the sizing will go. I'll post back my results.

Unfortunately, the KN95 ones are disposable, and not super cheap.

• Options
    knight11e wrote: »

https://www.amazon.com/Wovenx-Registered-Disposable-Adjustable-Individually/dp/B08R9NXSQ3

These will be less comfortable than cloth masks due to being more effortful to breath in, but more protective. My kids have some of each.

• Options
    knight11eknight11e Registered User regular
    Thanks everybody

• Options
    Also... while it is true that N95s, KN95s et all are single use in the sense that you can't clean them effectively at home (the former were cleaned via vaporized hydrogen peroxide for medical staff during the height of the pandemic), a partially loaded filter actually works better than a new one. A fully loaded filter loses protection because you'll end up pulling air around the edges instead of through it. So while I can't reliably convey how to know if your kids masks are fully loaded you don't necessarily need to avoid more protective masks due to the impracticality of replacing them with every use. A pediatrician may have helpful guidance on this.

• Options
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    Also... while it is true that N95s, KN95s et all are single use in the sense that you can't clean them effectively at home (the former were cleaned via vaporized hydrogen peroxide for medical staff during the height of the pandemic), a partially loaded filter actually works better than a new one. A fully loaded filter loses protection because you'll end up pulling air around the edges instead of through it. So while I can't reliably convey how to know if your kids masks are fully loaded you don't necessarily need to avoid more protective masks due to the impracticality of replacing them with every use. A pediatrician may have helpful guidance on this.

Too bad the same doesn't apply to diapers...

• Options
    dennis wrote: »
    Gilgaron wrote: »

Too bad the same doesn't apply to diapers...

I have never tried to VHP a loaded disposable diaper... if you followed it up with a trip through the oven to recharge the desiccant it would at least be sterile and empty but I doubt the elastic would survive.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I bought a lot of masks for my kids, and they eventually settled on different brands that they like. My daughter's favorite was from etsy, and the store no longer makes them >< so we have to be careful about losing them.
    I might look into some kn95 or similar, though, as school starts.. they were safe last year, and but the new variant and all..

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Old Navy sells masks that are adjustable and fit well. We ended up with a couple dozen of them for our kid so she can bring three to school each day to change out as she needs.

Edit: you might need to look in store, the ones online aren't adjustable.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Our kids have liked the crayola branded ones as they come in a bunch of colors and they can match to what they're wearing.

• Options
    I've had to stick with cloth masks unfortunately because they're extra soft and have some cool designs on them. We've tried the higher protection stuff but my kids would take them down often because they had a hard time breathing with them.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So, nighttime potty training question time!

For context, my daughter is 3 years old. She's been daytime clean for months now... more or less. She does wet her underwear a little, especially when she's playing and doesn't want to stop, But full-on accidents are like once a month now. Nighttime, she still wears a pull-up, and it's pretty full when she wakes up. Just last night it even overflowed. When it does that always wakes her up. But lately she's been arguing with us at bedtime that she's a big girl and doesn't want to wear a pull-up to bed.

So now we're wondering what's the best strategy for nighttime-training her? The one I've always heard was that we should wait for her to wake up with a clean pull-up, and if that's the case she's nowhere near ready. But some friends of ours who also have a 3-year-old daughter say they let her sleep in underwear the day she asked and she's been nighttime-clean since, minus one or two accidents. And if asking to do it is the bar, then she's well past ready. Also, I don't want to risk doing a yo-yo with her training, allowing her to sleep in underwear for a few nights then pushing her back to diapers, and I don't feel that will be a positive experience for her.

What do you people think? How did you handle nighttime cleanliness training?

sig.gif
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    So, nighttime potty training question time!

For context, my daughter is 3 years old. She's been daytime clean for months now... more or less. She does wet her underwear a little, especially when she's playing and doesn't want to stop, But full-on accidents are like once a month now. Nighttime, she still wears a pull-up, and it's pretty full when she wakes up. Just last night it even overflowed. When it does that always wakes her up. But lately she's been arguing with us at bedtime that she's a big girl and doesn't want to wear a pull-up to bed.

So now we're wondering what's the best strategy for nighttime-training her? The one I've always heard was that we should wait for her to wake up with a clean pull-up, and if that's the case she's nowhere near ready. But some friends of ours who also have a 3-year-old daughter say they let her sleep in underwear the day she asked and she's been nighttime-clean since, minus one or two accidents. And if asking to do it is the bar, then she's well past ready. Also, I don't want to risk doing a yo-yo with her training, allowing her to sleep in underwear for a few nights then pushing her back to diapers, and I don't feel that will be a positive experience for her.

What do you people think? How did you handle nighttime cleanliness training?

We've been trying to limit night time liquids, and are also waiting for her to finish her sleeps with dry diapers. She's definitely asked when she can sleep potty train, and we've mostly pushed the question off for now.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    I'm just not worrying about it right now. I wore night pullups until I was 7 or 8, some kids wear them later, some train earlier. I'd love to stop needing pullups because they're $$, but it's far from a priority right now.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    At only 3 I definitely wouldn't push the transition too hard, it's really not a big deal at that age to still be in pull ups at night.

If she's really insistent on it and you can't distract her away from that goal, there's always bed pads, but that's going to be more expensive that pull ups and a much bigger hassle to clean up (minus the overflow nights I guess).

Particularly when young kids have older siblings, they want to be in "big kid" underwear at a younger age, but if they aren't able to hold it until they wake up, and their body isn't properly alerting them during sleep to relieve themselves (or they're ignoring it, there is a chance that the pull ups may be encouraging poor recognition of signals to use the bathroom, but at 3 I'd say it's less likely the cause, IMO.), then they need protection still. Because going to normal underwear, and if they still have a lot of accidents, even if you're (or siblings) not shaming them for it, there is still a very good chance they will feel ashamed, and that's going to just lead to a lot more potential problems.

As others have said, for sure, limit liquids within an hour or two before bedtime. Have them sit on the potty, even if they are insistent they don't need to go, for a few minutes before going to bed. See if they have fewer instances of overfull pullups after some changes to pre-bedtime routines. Depending on how communicative they are at that age (my son was still barely verbal at 3, so potty training was particularly difficult; whereas his older sister, who was still speech delayed, but more communicative, was pretty painless), you could encourage recognition of the signals to use the potty; for example, explain to them that if they wake up at all during the night, even if they don't know why, they should go sit on the potty for a couple minutes. You might even have one of those portable kid potties that they can have in their room and access without needing to go all the way to a bathroom (I have no idea what the layout of your home is). Either way, you should also be praising them during the day a lot, when they use the bathroom properly, and take a moment as frequently as possible to remind them of the feelings they had before going potty, and help them be as aware as possible how to know those signals so they're set up for success at night. If their bodies aren't waking them up, then honestly there's really not anything you can do other than keep them in pull ups. They can't obey the signals if their body isn't alerting them, and there's really no way to force them to wake up if they're not. And I'd really advise against waking them up at night for the purpose of having them use the bathroom, if they're not being woken up by their body. Their body will eventually begin to do so, it just might not be right now.

The goal is, for sure, consistently dry bottoms before moving full on to underwear; but accidents can always happen, and they need to feel safe, even if it happens occasionally after moving to underwear. Maybe make a game out of it, where they can't ever "lose". Maybe give them a fun token of some sort every time they have a dry night, and if they collect 3 they can have one night in underwear (but maybe with a bed pad until it's consistent), but no way to lose the tokens. Or, if a full night of no incidents is too much, if you've got a portable potty, maybe a reward for every use at night, and some further reward for a night with no overflow of their pull up? Maybe you find out that their bodies just aren't ready for no protection at night. At that point, maybe the best option until then, is to just reward them for not complaining about their pull ups, and just slowly work towards dry nights.

One of the easiest and probably worst mistakes that can be made here is punishing them if they have an accident. I know that seems like an obvious statement, but for those of us who have had particularly difficult training with some of our kids, there's a level of frustration that is pretty inescapable when you're replacing sheets and cleaning up messes day after day. Most parents aren't saints, it's just important to make sure that that frustration, that is absolutely normal and fair, can't be projected onto the kid, so that the experience remains as positive as possible, even if it is an uphill battle that feels Sisyphean. Also, I'd say, just make sure, if you've got older kids, they're not shaming the child in training, intentionally or not; sometimes an older sibling can think they're encouraging them by telling them how cool it is to be out of diapers/pull ups, but even that can create a pressure/shame situation for the younger child, and it's best to make sure your older kids know to let you do the parenting, even if they're just trying to help.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ellie's 5 and we're not even thinking about it.

Pediatrician said that for some kids the bladder size and control doesn't really become over night able until about 7.

It's one more stress that I just can't be bothered with when I'm trying to make sure she eats enough food.

• Options
    We had no liquids past 7 with bedtime at 8, then tried no diaper when they were dry 3-4 days in a row. We didn't rush it, and presented it more as "try to think about not going" .
    Kids are very different on the subconscious control stuff.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I'm just not worrying about it right now. I wore night pullups until I was 7 or 8, some kids wear them later, some train earlier. I'd love to stop needing pullups because they're $$, but it's far from a priority right now.

Yeah my son is 7 and still uses them. He's woke up once or twice dry.

• Options
    Ellie's 5 and we're not even thinking about it.

Pediatrician said that for some kids the bladder size and control doesn't really become over night able until about 7.

It's one more stress that I just can't be bothered with when I'm trying to make sure she eats enough food.

And didn't kill herself running around like a maniac.

• Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    School started Wednesday, we got our first Covid exposure letter for our oldest, exposure was on Wednesday.
    Made it a whole 0 days before an issue this year. He is quarantined until he can get tested Tuesday. Off to a great start.

southwick on
  • Options
    I don't know what we're going to do if we have to test my kids for covid. They freak the fuck out about the flu shot and we have to essentially tie them down... And now we're talking about shoving a cotton swab deep into their nose for 15 seconds on both sides? I don't think they'll do it.

• Options
    I don't know what we're going to do if we have to test my kids for covid. They freak the fuck out about the flu shot and we have to essentially tie them down... And now we're talking about shoving a cotton swab deep into their nose for 15 seconds on both sides? I don't think they'll do it.

I've had to test both my kids at least three times. It sucked and was worse each successive time since they knew what was coming. Basically I had to bearhug them and let the nurse do their thing.

On the plus side, they tended to get over it pretty quickly, especially if a cookie or something was involved. Of course it's kids, so YMMV.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

I've had to test both my kids at least three times. It sucked and was worse each successive time since they knew what was coming. Basically I had to bearhug them and let the nurse do their thing.

On the plus side, they tended to get over it pretty quickly, especially if a cookie or something was involved. Of course it's kids, so YMMV.

Yep, it's been a non event for us as there's a sticker or a candy on the other side.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    No liquids before bedtime would be useful... Unfortunately my girl's bedtime routine still includes a 240ml bottle. We're gradually reducing the quantity, but she really likes her bottle, it'll be a challenge to cut it out completely (the one time we tried was major drama). Any advice on that?

sig.gif
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    No liquids before bedtime would be useful... Unfortunately my girl's bedtime routine still includes a 240ml bottle. We're gradually reducing the quantity, but she really likes her bottle, it'll be a challenge to cut it out completely (the one time we tried was major drama). Any advice on that?

Can you do it earlier? Like, I don't know your current bedtime routine, but move it to before the story instead of during, or during a bath, or whatever. Suggest it to her one night and see how she takes it?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile