As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Boyfriend Dungeon, Garden Story and Axiom Verge 2 out today!

19596979899101»

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Star Citizen has been in development for 9 years

Feels like just yesterday

can't let a perfectly good money laundering scheme end

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Just saw your post.

The cipher you can get is one of my favorite party members.

The other fun melee you can do is a chanter with a big fuckoff huge sword. There's an npc chanter but he's kinda meh.

Actually @Brovid Hasselsmof , chanter might be right up your alley now that I think about it.

They work really well in melee, in fact you can make them great tanks if you want. A lot of their abilities are various chants they use to buff themselves and party members, but they have a system where you can pre-plan out what chants you want to do in what order and set it to have your character just automatically do them in combat so that you can focus on just beating mooks up and occasionally using your non-chant abilities.

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I assume the marketing is like 99% algorithm generated

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I assume the marketing is like 99% algorithm generated

oh definitely, it's full on a-b testing, throwing shit at the wall and seeing what stick

• Options
    With a lot of advertising, it ends up being advertising to bots, resulting in weirder and weirder ads

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I just wonder if they'd do better with a visual novel approach that kept the pre-rendered movies and maybe turned it into a subscription service? people can get a chapter of a serialized story every week for a small fee

t4zV3gg.jpg

like people want to see the crazy stories, but it seems like the actual "playing the game" bit isn't as appealing

but I guess while increasing your base revenue is good, it might not compare with the chance of hooking a whale who's going to pay several thousand times that of the average user

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

I remember buying my first ship !

My pc could barely load the hanger, back when they added them.

I wonder if it'll be out this decade.

• Options
    When Star Citizen started, the engine they chose wasn't practically dead from what I remember

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Define "development."

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Define "development."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFwpX_PSpk0

look we are creating NEXT GEN GAMEPLAY and that takes a LOT OF GRIT and and HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS and HARD WORK and HEART

star citizen is going to be SO GOOD you guys and I'm NOT going to let this thread end with star citizen HATERS saying BAD SHIT about the FUTURE GAME OF THE YEAR

Brolo on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Define "development."

look we are creating NEXT GEN GAMEPLAY and that takes a LOT OF GRIT and and HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS and HARD WORK and HEART

star citizen is going to be SO GOOD you guys and I'm NOT going to let this thread end with star citizen HATERS saying BAD SHIT about the FUTURE GAME OF THE YEAR

How many custom spaceships did they make for you? How badical will they be when the very real game totally comes out?

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2ay-KbMyA8
    Immigration Enforcement Case 112: You are under arrest. Unless your friends can cross a broken America, retrieve your identifying documents and stay out of trouble... this is the end of the American dream for you.

- Sequel to the original Not Tonight, the Brexit sim played by 400,000 players
    - Set in an “alternative” USA, where capitalism and political greed have taken center stage
    - Three branching stories, written by a team of POC authors and artists
    - Plot your route across America, making terrifying decisions along the way
    - Rhythm games, serving burgers, assessing religion, word association, checking chickens, working the Texan wall, and more

It's basically "*America: The Video Game*", so it's sure to go down extremely well with everyone

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUmQokMZRRI
    Frostpunk 2 is the sequel to the highly acclaimed, BAFTA-nominated society survival game that blended city building, strategy, and management gameplay, creating a brand new genre. Its successor takes place 30 years after the apocalyptic blizzard storm, and Earth is still overwhelmed by the icy climate of never-ending frost and harsh weather.

You play as the leader of a resource-hungry metropolis where the expansion and search for new sources of power is an unavoidable reality. After the age of coal, conquering Frostland for the oil extraction industry is expected to be the new salvation of what’s left of humanity. However, change does not come easily, and not everyone in this new multi-layered society will welcome this new direction.

Demands and expectations of various factions will raise tensions and evoke conflicts, but will a cold-blooded rule and a Machiavellian approach to politics be necessary? As the everlasting cold continues its grip on the city and outside threats arise, you’ll need to make sure your people are united, driven, and ready for difficult, unavoidable sacrifices!

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Set in an “alternative” USA, where capitalism and political greed have taken center stage

Wait how is that alternative

• Options
    wJ5XQYC.jpg

Rebel Galaxy
    Free Now - Aug 19 at 11:00 AM

COMING SOON
    Void Bastards
    Free Aug 19 - Aug 26

Yooka-Laylee
    Free Aug 19 - Aug 26

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/free-games

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    oh yooka-laylee was decent, wasnt it?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Set in an “alternative” USA, where capitalism and political greed have taken center stage

Wait how is that alternative

I guess that's why they put it in textual finger-quotes... Which I suppose are just quotes.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular

Depends on who you ask. I liked it, but even I, as N64 era collectathon apologist, think they went too far in recreating that type of game, some of the level design and segments with clunky controls feel really archaic. I'd say give it a shot for free, but be aware that it can get frustrating for the wrong reasons.

The 2D sequel is fantastic though

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    No Man's Sky came out five years ago. Wild.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

I liked it, but a lot of people didn't. It's a true Banjo-Kazooie style collect-a-thon, for good or ill. My biggest beef with the game is it only had four worlds, plus the overworld, while Games like BK had 8. They get around this by giving you the ability to "expand" levels, making then twice as big, but that also means you're spending way longer on these worlds and they eventully wear out their welcome. I figure this limitation has its origins in YL being a kickstarter project, so they only had so much budget to work with, but it's still noticeable.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

Define "development."

How many custom spaceships did they make for you? How badical will they be when the very real game totally comes out?

It can't be long before they bring out a Death Star ship that comes with its own solar system.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I've been continuing to play stuff on this GPD XD Plus through Steam Link, and it still works really well.

Fallout New Vegas is great, and also way harder than I remember.

Jupiter Hell is pretty good too!

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular

Absolutely cannot deal with all the twists in this game trailer

The worst thing about trailers like this is you can be like, okay, I WILL play that game, that looks wild!
    ... and then it's NOTHING like that.

their entire marketing strategy is the hope that some morbid curiosity folks will try and like the game, and eventually spend money

I have to assume it's working because they keep doing it

what's also funny is that games keep copying each other's fake games. there's one that's popular now where you have a tower of enemies each with a different power level. it has the guy fight an enemy, if he wins you absorb their power and continue. usually the character will win 2-3 fights then fight something with a higher number and lose. it's like...this is basic math what is going on.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular

I liked it, but a lot of people didn't. It's a true Banjo-Kazooie style collect-a-thon, for good or ill. My biggest beef with the game is it only had four worlds, plus the overworld, while Games like BK had 8. They get around this by giving you the ability to "expand" levels, making then twice as big, but that also means you're spending way longer on these worlds and they eventully wear out their welcome. I figure this limitation has its origins in YL being a kickstarter project, so they only had so much budget to work with, but it's still noticeable.

It's weird, but I think there's one thing they could have done to make the game feel better without even touching the gameplay: bump the tempo on the music by 50% or so. If you load up Yooka-Laylee's music in Youtube and set it to 1.5x or 2x playback speed, it sounds like Banjo-Kazooie music. As written, the music is kind of sleepy and makes you feel the weight of walking around in slightly overlarge areas.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    They just put out a gameplay trailer for Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, different from the one in the Nintendo thing yesterday.

https://youtu.be/1mptdlfRJkw

I remember they were on twitter looking for a Warriors-style radio DJ. Sounds like they succeeded.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »

Absolutely cannot deal with all the twists in this game trailer

The worst thing about trailers like this is you can be like, okay, I WILL play that game, that looks wild!
    ... and then it's NOTHING like that.

their entire marketing strategy is the hope that some morbid curiosity folks will try and like the game, and eventually spend money

I have to assume it's working because they keep doing it

what's also funny is that games keep copying each other's fake games. there's one that's popular now where you have a tower of enemies each with a different power level. it has the guy fight an enemy, if he wins you absorb their power and continue. usually the character will win 2-3 fights then fight something with a higher number and lose. it's like...this is basic math what is going on.

There's an entire genre of mobile game marketing that is "Play so badly that the viewer gets upset and has to do it themselves", the funny part being that the gameplay shown usually isn't even actually representative of the game at all.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular

It doesn't reach the highs of the Banjo games, but I liked it a lot.

Of course I'm a crazy person who loves DK64 so I might just be biased towards 3d collectathons.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I played a paladin in poe, if you want a big fuck off melee person I highly recommend it. they have a few cool abilities and the main thing they get is called faith and conviction, which buffs your defensive stats based on how well you align with your dispositions. there is an npc paladin but she is stuck with base faith and conviction so she will never be as good defensively as a pc paladin, who is fucking ridiculous. you can run around with a 2 handed weapon and still have as much defense as someone else with a shield.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Couple pages back there was Axiom Verge talk. Saw this just now and..yowza

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I've started a dual-wield barbarian. Played up to getting the stronghold and am enjoying it more than the priest, enough that I've kept it on Normal difficulty so far. I've also switched off auto-leveling for my party members so I can build them myself when they join the crew which is helping I think.

Barbarian's quite fun, I like that all my abilities are per encounter instead of per day so I don't feel like I have to hoard them.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, auto level for your party is garbo. Glad you're liking the barb. They're good fun.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Most character classes in PoE are more focused on per encounter abilities - I think it's only the Priest, Druid, and Wizard that are primarily per day (although there are some exceptions in both directions).

Barbarians are a lot of fun, I've played through both games as a barbarian. Just make sure you have Eder or Pallegina around to soak up some damage, you can definitely end up a bit fragile.

• Options
    I love how PoE lets me play a priest that would absolutely kill their god if they could

• Options
    Yeah I need to get Eder more tanky. He hasn't properly died yet but it's come butt-clenchingly close a couple of times.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Oooo….

PoE also stands for Pillars of Eternity, not just Path of Exile.

I am slow sometimes.

This discussion has been closed.