As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Loop Hero] A Roguelike Deckbuilder hybrid, that asks the tough question:

1235»

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Evasion
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Died on my next loop and I'm not sure why. Maybe I placed out too many monster tiles or didn't push into a build properly. Regardless, my next loop went the distance, but I still ran from the boss since I was at 10% HP.

I'm assuming that loops become easier as buildings are constructed at camp, which give me the extra oomph I need to handle the boss. Also, I finally understand the Poll question I made.

They can be a big help but aren't quite a panacea. I'd say the cards some buildings unlock is the real boost more than the buildings themselves in many cases. Or the fact that one of the other two heroes might click better.

The building that gives you an exp bar to fill for level up traits is a pretty big boost though, albeit one where you're at the mercy of which traits you get to choose from. The potion maker is also a potentially big deal that can get you out of a bad situation.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Cool. Does building placement in camp make a difference?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Evasion
    Cool. Does building placement in camp make a difference?

A few buildings can only be built next to each other. Off the top of my head, the warehouse needs to be right by the supply depot. And since you can build two of them, that's two spaces adjacent you'll need to keep clear and there was a lengthy gap between when I built the two types of buildings so I ended up needing to demolish something. The rest usually can be built right after the building they need to be next so it's very hard to not have space for them.

Two buildings also produce resources based on the tiles around them. Lumberjack wants to be surrounded by as many forests, the farm by as many empty spaces it'll turn into crop fields. But those aren't major factors given that they both produce very common resources.

The river can only be placed in the southwest corner of the map but you'd have to make a concentrated effort to expand in that direction to even think about obstructing the path and I'm not sure you even can build on its chosen tiles.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Just beat the second boss. Not a bad run.
    Camp upgrades can represent huge bumps in power sometimes, but other times are barely noticeable. You’ve just got to experiment like much of the game.

I will say that the first quantum bump in power I found was unlocking a better terrain card to take the slot of the flower fields in the deck. Those fields are rubbish.

There was a tip earlier in the thread of pairing them up with the Chrono Crystals and that was a pretty good one. Ended up getting over 100 hp per day using that. I also like keeping them around to surround Treasuries with.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Evasion
    Just beat the second boss. Not a bad run.
    Camp upgrades can represent huge bumps in power sometimes, but other times are barely noticeable. You’ve just got to experiment like much of the game.

I will say that the first quantum bump in power I found was unlocking a better terrain card to take the slot of the flower fields in the deck. Those fields are rubbish.

There was a tip earlier in the thread of pairing them up with the Chrono Crystals and that was a pretty good one. Ended up getting over 100 hp per day using that. I also like keeping them around to surround Treasuries with.

Treasuries didn't seem worth the gargoyle trade off to me. Haven't looked at them in awhile.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    they're nice early, but later on you don't need the resources they give as much. I stopped using meadows and peaks and all that once I got forests because forests are by far the best tile, since they're the only one that gives you an offensive stat.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    they're nice early, but later on you don't need the resources they give as much. I stopped using meadows and peaks and all that once I got forests because forests are by far the best tile, since they're the only one that gives you an offensive stat.

yeah, I could infer what forests did from context in-thread, so now I'm unlocking them next. :biggrin:

The Orb of Evolution is slightly annoying to farm though. Not too bad, but worse than wood or metal or even food.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Evasion

yeah, I could infer what forests did from context in-thread, so now I'm unlocking them next. :biggrin:

The lack of clarity about what unlocked cards do is annoying. Admittedly it would be a bit tough to explain what some of them do in the small amount of text a building gets.
    The Orb of Evolution is slightly annoying to farm though. Not too bad, but worse than wood or metal or even food.

Let me tell you about Astral Orbs . . .

Steam Profile
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Defense

The lack of clarity about what unlocked cards do is annoying. Admittedly it would be a bit tough to explain what some of them do in the small amount of text a building gets.

I purposefully set out to try to farm astral orbs, building my whole deck around them, and ended up with like 3 shards after an hour and 8 loops.

That was the final straw for me. I'm waiting for the eventual patch / expansion before I go back to trying to finish my camp and beat chapter 4.

• Options
    Evasion
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

I purposefully set out to try to farm astral orbs, building my whole deck around them, and ended up with like 3 shards after an hour and 8 loops.

That was the final straw for me. I'm waiting for the eventual patch / expansion before I go back to trying to finish my camp and beat chapter 4.

I'm specifically trying to farm the shards to build the facility that lets me transmute other materials into astral shards. Unfortunately I accidentally used an orb on an upgrade I didn't notice the requirements of.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I'm pretty happy I clicked into this thread, 'cause I purchased this game a couple days ago and was a little frustrated with getting punched in by the Chapter 1 boss. This thread set me straight and I had an easy win on my next expedition. Granted, I probably would have figured it out after unlocking the Encyclopedia and seen the Palace terrain description, but at least I saved an unnecessary grinding run. The Encyclopedia also let me know why I had only earned one Orb of Expansion, so I might need to engineer some farming runs for those as well. There's quite a few upgrades that are being gated by my lack of that resource, and I think I'm going to need them going into Chapter 2.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Vampirism
    After learning that orbs for later buildings unlock in act 2 and on I finally stopped being lazy and bopped the lich. I went into Act 2 hoping to do some farming runs before progressing but wasn't paying attention and accidentally spawned the boss. I was fully expecting to get murdered but my rogue tore her in half in like 30 seconds flat.

It was an almost perfect Oh No!... Anyway moment.

I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do now that I have the forest unlocked and can go straight for bonkers attack speed. I'm not sure how best to farm up the Orbs of Unity tho for the river. They don't seem to drop from much. Maybe just some heavy duty Vampire Mansion runs to keep fighting bat swarms?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Bats help, but another way to fight more Swarm-type enemies is
    overgrown fields.

You make these by having a wheat field which is not connected to a Village tile (either because you Oblivioned it or, more straightforwardly, if you connect a wheat field to a fake forest village instead of a real one). In addition to spawning Scarecrows as normal, when you get in a fight on this tile, all empty enemy slots are filled by these blade-grass things which count as Swarms.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    I played my 4th or 5th loop today and got to the first boss. I had planned ahead and covered up his squares ahead of time, so I felt reasonably confident I could beat him.

It was getting down to the wire and I lost my only potion. But my hero had something like +40% attack speed and was going to town. As both health bars chunked down, I could see I was going to just barely win. As his bar had only a few pixels remaining....

...evade, evade, evade, evade. And I died.

Man, talk about fucking deflating. Four evades in a row is such a backbreaking way to lose. I go back to camp with a paltry amount of stuff and can barely build one new building.

There's something here that I like, but I wonder if it's not buried under a lot of tediousness. Perhaps it's just a lack of game information or bad luck, but I don't feel like I'm making a lot of progress. I don't mind dying, that happens in rougelikes, I just want to know I moved the needle forward in a meaningful way, which I felt I did with the last game ending loop.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Evasion
    I played my 4th or 5th loop today and got to the first boss. I had planned ahead and covered up his squares ahead of time, so I felt reasonably confident I could beat him.

It was getting down to the wire and I lost my only potion. But my hero had something like +40% attack speed and was going to town. As both health bars chunked down, I could see I was going to just barely win. As his bar had only a few pixels remaining....

...evade, evade, evade, evade. And I died.

Man, talk about fucking deflating. Four evades in a row is such a backbreaking way to lose. I go back to camp with a paltry amount of stuff and can barely build one new building.

There's something here that I like, but I wonder if it's not buried under a lot of tediousness. Perhaps it's just a lack of game information or bad luck, but I don't feel like I'm making a lot of progress. I don't mind dying, that happens in rougelikes, I just want to know I moved the needle forward in a meaningful way, which I felt I did with the last game ending loop.

Progression is a bit weird since the game borrows from so many different types of games. Depending on the building, one building can make a huge difference. But knowledge from a run is often the biggest progression. Your strategy for when and where to play cards is a huge thing and not measured by an in-game system.

That was some seriously bad luck though. I don't think I've even seen the first boss evade more than two times in a row.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Vampirism
    The first batch of loops are a bit of a slog tbh. Once you get some upgrades and start flying around the map as a rogue with 150% attack speed shit gets really silly and fun. Once I got the Armory and Intel Center up shit got wild

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    the base building is such a minor thing. outside of forests and rivers and, depending on class, the armory none of them are that impactful. this isn't darkest dungeon where the goal is to grind materials to level up your town.

none of these things are available in act 1 anyway so the lich can be killed with pretty much 0 buildings. your progression is items during your run. there are times you have to abandon runs because you simply get bad traits or drops. you don't lose anything for doing so either

Jars on
  • Options
    You know, I've been dropping stuff on the loop sort of willy-nilly. Usually I spread things out a bit so I don't end up fighting like 4 spiders in back to back tiles or whatever. I try dropping Villages for HP recovery between long stretches of the loop. I also put Beacons out to cover areas that are getting a bit too overrun with baddies. Finally, I try and put all the treasure chest spawning buildings near the beginning of the loop to get the loot ASAP.

Is this OK? Should I be hoarding things and placing them in a more uniform or planned style? Does it matter? And does it matter how mountains/meadows are placed, outside of the Mountain Peak and adjacent HP buffs? Right now, I just sort of clump the mountains on one side and meadows on another. Although I do try and build the Treasure Tower out and ring it with mountains, and then destroy and convert it to a Peak once the Tower is tapped out.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Vampirism
    If you put a meadow next to something it turns into a blooming meadow and gives 3HP instead of 2 so I'd usually pattern them in with the mountains to crank my daily HP gain up.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    It is often better to only place the good version of a landscape tile, since you usually get twice the benefit for half the 'cost' of summoning the boss. With burned forests being an exception.

There are tile combos all over the place. I suggest experimenting.

BSoB on
  • Options
    You know, I've been dropping stuff on the loop sort of willy-nilly. Usually I spread things out a bit so I don't end up fighting like 4 spiders in back to back tiles or whatever. I try dropping Villages for HP recovery between long stretches of the loop. I also put Beacons out to cover areas that are getting a bit too overrun with baddies. Finally, I try and put all the treasure chest spawning buildings near the beginning of the loop to get the loot ASAP.

Is this OK? Should I be hoarding things and placing them in a more uniform or planned style? Does it matter? And does it matter how mountains/meadows are placed, outside of the Mountain Peak and adjacent HP buffs? Right now, I just sort of clump the mountains on one side and meadows on another. Although I do try and build the Treasure Tower out and ring it with mountains, and then destroy and convert it to a Peak once the Tower is tapped out.

I build a peak out of the first 12-14 mountains/rocks I get. I surround the Tower with meadows to get the blooming meadows upgrade. The chrono crystals also double the effect of the meadows, so if I have the crystals in my deck, I place or pre-place meadows where they’ll get the most benefit from eventual crystals.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I built the peak then kept building mountains and fields around it. I also used treasuries early on, but chrono crystals never felt worth it.

I think I was getting flesh golems out, since they drop piles of items. for something that would have prevented that death: putting a blood grove next to your camp will work on the boss.

• Options
    Evasion

There are advantages to planned styles. Getting more use out of Vampire Mansions can help put you over the number of enemies you need for Orbs of Expansion to drop. Once you have watchtowers, you get fire support near your camp so clumping things around there means easier fights than elsewhere. Blood Groves are handy early on to help finish off enemies so maximizing how many tiles they can hit via where you put the forest they need to border has great payoff. Lots of ways you can build things once you're not fighting for dear life all the time.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Vampirism
    So I'm in act three and just kinda having fun doing some farm runs in act 2 to get my camp fully upgraded and decided to take the warrior out for the first time since I got the Rogue up and running and sweet fucking shit that class is way better than I thought it was. Now that I got forests and rivers boosting my attack speed to wtf BBQ levels I can skip attack speed on items all together and focus on defense, vampirism, and counter. I got a hair away from killing the act 3 boss and suspect I just need to do some more camp upgrades and I'll have that one licked.

But yea, the warrior is so much tankier and good at killing that I thought he'd be. Hot damn.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Vampirism
    Oh fuck Loop Hero just gave me a heart attack and such a good gaming moment.

I decided to try and take on the last act again and got my loop all set up as a rogue and managed to make it to the final boss with no potions and no resurrection available.
    The fight turned into a knock down drag out slog. The boss hit me with a nuke and dropped me down to a sliver of health but I got one last attack in and my upgraded blood grove kicked in and ate its last 20% of health. I just sat there on the edge of my seat the whole way and thought I had biffed it right until that happened. I just sat there watching the credits rolls going HOLLLYYYY FFFUUUUUUU

Fuck that's such a good game. Now to go on some very silly farming runs to get the last camp upgrades and get hard into crafting.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Vampirism
    I'm pretty late to the party here, but I've been playing a lot of this lately. I just beat Act 2!
    My first run where I got to the Act 2 boss I had a warrior build with a lot of maquis and high defense, with the armory helmets for retaliation. Felt like a pretty good build until I got to the boss that oops, she's a summoner and that didn't go so well!

So I made a necro build which ended up working pretty well, though I did have a misstep where I discovered that outposts will NOT help the necromancer.

I think that forest behind blood grove next to graveyard is a pretty good pattern for necro runs. Skeletons and flesh golems are both fairly easy for necros, and the flesh golems give pretty good drops, with the skellys giving regular food to the grove...I'm assuming both that the blood groves spawn the golems with enough dead bodies, and that skeletons count.

The game is pretty fun, but I have to admit what I'm really digging is the style, and all the lore and things to discover. I really want to spend time digging through all the encyclopedia entries.

I need to spend some more time with the rogue, I think I have a good handle on warrior and necro builds, but I've only done a couple rogue runs.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Evasion
    Has this gotten any major updates? I did really like it but I feel like I mostly consumed it.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Picked this up, I'm in act 2 now, tooling around with getting a hang of things and not accidentally immolating myself

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Has this gotten any major updates? I did really like it but I feel like I mostly consumed it.

There was an update back in june that added some new tiles and enemys, but i've no idea what those are.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Vampirism
    After several tries I finally reached the act 3 boss, and managed to beat them first try. I think I might need to do some more grinding for camp upgrades before I can get much further, but you need about a million orbs of expansion for everything, and they seem extremely stingy with them.

I also just recently discovered the last resource type I was missing
    which are the time shards, apparently from mages and cosmic stuff. I just recently figured out how to spawn vampire mages, so that should help. The only buildings I have left to build are the bridge and the alchemist's lab, hopefully alchemy can make it easier to get the specific resources I need.

I still have a lot of blank spaces left in the encyclopedia, I need to do more experimenting.

sig.gif
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Counter
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

There was an update back in june that added some new tiles and enemys, but i've no idea what those are.

It added a monster spwaning thing to sand like what trees and rocks have, and also makes enough swamp tiles give you a witch hut card, which refills potions when you pass its tiles, butt also makes wtiches to heal your enemies.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Vampirism
    I really wish there were some hints or clues about how to activate these last tiles. I've done a couple experimental runs and no dice. It's a pain to try to come up with a deck I can experiment with, but is also competitive enough to survive to get back, and also gather the couple resource types I need.

edit:: I know I could just look them up, but I like discovering them organically.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif