As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help with DS4 controller and it's use on a pc....

PittviperPittviper Registered User regular
Hi,

First post here.

I have had a DS4 controller for the past few months. Initially, I played with a wire over usb. Then I bought an official bluetooth adapter made by sony. Here is my issue.

3 days ago, I was unable to play with the controller wirelessly, as it would not stay on. I though, of course, the battery was dead. I do have a charging dock as well.

But, when I plugged it into the charging dock, it showed the battery was charged.

Never, up to this point, have I used, or even heard of, DS4Windows.

So, I've done a lot of reading. The main game I play is PGA Tour 2K21 on steam, and use was using the Dualshock 4 Pro 2 profile.

Ok, after all of the reading I have done, I determined that perhaps my battery went bad. So, I purchased a new battery, from amazon, one that looks like many have purchased and had great success with.
Also, playing wired again yesterday, I used DS4Windows, which I never knew existed before, and was able to play, and controller stayed on while plugged in, but since steam now thinks I'm using a 360 controller, the profile for swinging that I was using is no longer available to me, as steam now thinks I have an xbox controller, and the I am only presented with generic gamepad profiles for the controller.

This is sort of rambling, so, let me sum up what I want to know.

1. I changed the battery today to a new one. It seems to have come charged, but controller won't stay on, just like before. I feel there is something else amiss here.
2. What, in all of your opinions, is the "best" gamepad to play pad games on steam? I really like the DS4 controller, but from what I have read, and I lost the forum I was reading on, there was a thread regarding this issue that was about 16 pages long. I've tried everything, from pressing the reset button, multiple times, to pairing, unpairing, new battery, etc, all to no avail.
3. Do I NEED to use DS4Windows to use a DS4 controller on a pc? Up until a couple of days ago, I never even knew it existed.
4. I am thinking the issue with the controller is much deeper than the battery, as since I have replaced it, and have the same problem, perhaps it's the circuit board. It won't charge either via the front usb or the rear docking port. Just plain won't stay on.

So, if 1) this isn't the best controller to use for games on steam, and 2) the particular model has issues, I'm not gonna shell out another x amount of dollars to get another DS4, although I like having the joysticks placed where they are.

I would like suggestions on what to use, and how to best, game on steam. I am NOT a big gamer, but a major fan of the golfing games.

I am literally at a loss here, as I was 99% sure, from what I read, that the battery had puked, hence the replacement. But, that does not seem to be the issue.

Please give me suggestions on the best all around controller (wireless hopefully) to use for pc gaming, and perhaps proffer suggestions on what is wrong with the DS4 controller I currently have.

I will await your replies. I really don't like being tethered to a cord, but at this point, with current controller, I don't seem to have an option. That is what I need you guys for.

I KNOW there will be many various opinions on what is the "best" all around controller pad to use on steam. Throw me all of your suggestions, and perhaps a "why" you are making said suggestion.

I won't repurchase another DS4, since this one seems to be dead, and that seems to have happened to many people from all that I have read in the last couple of days.

Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    DS4s have some problems with windows yeah, which is a shame because I greatly prefer their design. Xbox controllers are the controllers with the least problems on PC since it's microsoft on windows. I use a DS4 via USB cable myself, since the bluetooth connection is for some mysterious reason far weaker when it's trying to connect to my PC than it is connecting to the actual playstation and it loses signal constantly when it's 3 feet away from the tower. I don't use an official sony bluetooth adapter though, that might make it work better if it's different from a standard bluetooth adapter.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    You should, in general, be able to wirelessly pair a DS4 to Windows. I think it's you hold the PS and share buttons, and the light rapidly blinks indicating it's in pairing mode, and you do the same on your computer. If you don't mind a wired connection though, you can just use a USB cable and Windows recognizes it all the same.

As far as using DS4Windows goes, if you JUST connect a DS4, Windows recognizes it as a "wireless controller". It will work just fine, but in my experience some games get real damn confused with the layout. The "Confirm" button could be mapped to options, "Cancel" will be on triangle, and shit like that. If the game lets you reconfigure the buttons, it's easily fixed, but it's damned annoying trying to initially figure things out. This is where DS4Windows comes into play. With that running, Windows now recognizes the controller as an "Xbox 360 controller". A controller standard virtually all PC games use, which means your controller will now just work logically. Some games will show the visual mapping for a 360 controller, meaning X is A, circle is B, but the layout will be identical.

To sum it all up, most games should just work, and most games today will either show proper PS buttons, or have an option to switch to them. If any games don't, then you just turn on DS4Windows and they will. Like for me, Stardew Valley on Steam won't even recognize my controller unless I use DS4W, and Half Minute Hero thinks the A button is on square, again until I use DS4W. I've personally never had to mess with any of the profile options, everything works as it logically should. So just have the program downloaded, and if any games either don't work or have wacked out configurations, then turn it on. Or you can leave it on and have peace of mind that everything will work, but the downside is some games will prompt you to press A, and you have to mentally know that that means X.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    turn the controller off, go in to Edit your DS4W profile, try enabling the option "Use Dinput Only"

re-connect and see if that's any better.

Xantus on
  • Options
    I'm reading the advice so far, and have a few additional questions. BTW, thanks so far for the help!

First off, it does seem very logical to get a Microsoft product (xbox controller), to seamlessly work with windows. But, I have seen, and actually have in my cart, ready to pull the trigger), the following: [Xbox Wireless Controller – Daystrike Camo Special Edition for Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Windows 10 Devices], which is ~73.00 new. But, I also see there is an xbox elite controller, for a whopping $179.00!. What would make that one, although I cannot afford it, sooo much better than one less than half the price? I have never used a controller that did not have the joysticks in line horizontally, and am worried that I won't like the xbox controller, but will like the seamlessness with windows. So, can someone suggest an xbox controller for the casual gamer? Even if I had the cash, I can't see me spending the cost of an elite for the amount of gaming I do.

Also, this next question ties into another subject entirely, but is worth asking here. Do I "need" the xbox wireless controller dongle? The reason I ask is this. My primary hobby is listening to music and amateur radio. I have MANY devices connected to my pc that are audio oriented. But, after one of the last windows updates, I discovered a stuttering with bluetooth audio, that, via research, I was able to fix by using my 1mil dongle (audio only), and disabling, but not uninstalling, native bluetooth drivers. That would tell me that I probably DO need the specific dongle, unless I want to re-enable/disable native bluetooth every time I want to just lay down and listen to the tv via my iem's. For real music, I use a headphone amp and dac, with their own set of drivers, so that is not a problem. But, that "stuttering" issue was a real bear to figure out how to work around, and took me nearly a week of research, and trial and error, to get working. Luckily, I had the 1mil dongle already.

So, can you all comment on which xbox controller I should get, should I decide to pull the trigger, and why? Also, please comment on the bluetooth issue, as per my personal seetup.

Have any of you encountered the bluetooth stutter that I am referring to? It makes listening to anything you are streaming unlistenable.

Thanks,

Viper

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    The Xbox Elite controller is an edition designed to be as premium as possible and hang the cost. It offers things like interchangeable thumbsticks and D-pad designs, hair-trigger locks, and most people's favourite additional feature is a set of customisable paddles around the back. It's really not necessary for your first foray into Xbox controllers, but some people find it an agreeable, if expensive, upgrade later on, and it's handy for competitive action gamers.

I've not personally run into the Bluetooth problems you've described (not that I use Bluetooth for any PC audio anyway) so I'm afraid I'll have to leave that to someone else to help with. I use an Xbox One controller via Bluetooth on my PC and it runs flawlessly. I do have the official wireless controller dongle from Microsoft as well, and it's an excellent device - it also allows you to connect multiple controllers rather than just the one you'll be limited to on Bluetooth, should that be of any use to you. It's a lower latency connection too, which is especially good for games that demand high precision. If you're at all worried about Bluetooth being problematic, it's a simple and good quality solution for sidestepping that potential problem altogether.

Xbox controllers may take a little bit of getting used to if you're solely used to PlayStation controllers, just as the same would be true vice versa. I find the offset sticks (and their fractionally higher resistance) on the Xbox ones more comfortable and more natural, along with the profile of the triggers, and I prefer the overall layout and the feel in the hand over the DS4. Also, and this may be huge for you given the problems you've had, I like that you can swap out the batteries in Xbox controllers (you can use AAs or rechargeables, or MS' own rechargeable pack, and it's worth noting all of those offer better battery life than the DS4; or of course wired is also an option). Of course, that's just my opinion, YMMV as always, and it really does just come down to personal preference. You'll lose the DS4's touchpad and gyro options, but you'll gain what they call impulse triggers (the triggers have their own individual rumble feedback) too, plus near-universal hassle-free compatibility on PC.

Good luck!

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    You may need to toggle back and forth the steam controller settings. Sometimes different games prefer different settings. I've gotten that error too where a PS4 controller is displaying Xbox buttons.

Long story short, as long as your controller input software is registering button inputs, you are 90% there. The only trick then is making sure steam is reading those inputs accurately. Believe it or not, it's much easier to set up a PS4 controller on steam than it used to be.

• Options
    Well, home from work (only worked briefly tonight!)

I appreciate your input. I think I will pull the trigger tomorrow on the xbox controller I mentioned above. Also, the bluetooth dongle, as well as battery packs.

One think I must ask though, and being, like I said, a VERY casual gamer, exactly what does the "gyro" do on the ds4 controller, and when is it used? Like I said, I play golf. I don't think I've even encountered a use for it. But, it's worth telling me, prior to pulling the trigger, if said gyro, or lack thereof, will cause a disadvantage to me in the future. I don't even know what it is used for, lol...

So, I will again await a response, and if the gyro seems like something I will never need, then the xbox controller it is ($73 one), not Elite!

Thanks for the feedback.

Viper

• Options
    One last question. I'm pretty much sold on getting the xbox one controller. But, here's the catch, for me. Does it come, initially, with any type of battery. I can currently afford the controller and wireless dongle, minus the dual battery pack on Amazon. If I have to get the batteries, I have to wait a bit. So, the question is, does it come with a battery of any kind out of the box?

Thanks,

Viper

• Options
    While I'm still awake, and right before bed, one final last question, I hope. Nobody has mentioned why my DS4 controller doesn't charge, even with the new battery I installed yesterday. I am not very knoledgeable regarding game controllers, obviously. Does this sound like a circuit board failure?

Thanks,

Viper

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Xbox controllers come with batteries, but they'll eat them shockingly fast. You should be able to just play wired via USB-C without worrying about it, though.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Do the xbox controllers come with rechargeable battery packs now or are they still cheaping out and making you buy AAs for them

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    The gyro is a motion control sensor. On PC it won't ever be needed, but it can be set up in Steam as an alternative input method. For PGA Tour I can't see it being of any use to you.

A new Xbox controller will (or should) come with a pair of Duracell AA batteries. They should be good for 20-25 hours of use. Rechargables are recommended when you can; Eneloop are a brand a lot of people around here have had good luck with. I have ones from a brand called Beboncool, that are designed specifically for Xbox One/Series controllers, and they've been excellent too, better than the official MS battery in my opinion. It's a shame rechargeables don't come with the controller (see grumblings above :wink: ), but I guess that's the trade-off.

As for your DS4, it does sound potentially like a board failure of some kind but that's just sort of an educated guess. A DS4 should be getting 8 hours or so from a fully charged new battery. Of course, early DS4s are now eight years old and batteries do deteriorate. The only other thing I can think of is if your replacement battery was also of a certain age; if it was "new" but had inadvertently been sitting on a shelf for years, sort of thing. Lithium ion batteries do deteriorate with age regardless of whether they are used or not. But it's hard to tell without further investigation.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Thanks again to all of you.

The symptom my DS4 controller has is that it simply won't stay on. Orange light flashes once, then within 10 seconds the unit shuts off. "Further investigation" was mentioned above. Can you expand on that. I am not completely electronically ignorant...lol...perhaps I can salvage it, if it is not too costly or difficult.

Thanks,

Viper

• Options
    I have no idea besides trying out different parts with another controller (or parts from one) for process of elimination, I'm afraid. You probably know better than I if it comes to trying to fiddle with its internals - heck, you've replaced a battery in a DS4 which is more than I've done with one.

• Options
    Former EE, but have been on a medical disability for MANY years. Have many medical issues, on of which is my hands tend to tremble. I may "know" internals, but to work with them in any capacity now, and God forbid me even attempting using a soldering iron now, is just undoable.

Thank all of you for the insights!

Viper

• Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    you could also try a cheap alternative .
    something like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0932HCWVN/

i've been using that, it works over standard bluetooth and doesn't need DS4W

or https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Controller-Gamepad-Computer-Windows/dp/B07PQ62D7V/

Xantus on
  • Options
    Hi again!

I mulled over the last comment, very seriously.

Here is what I decided. I purchased a 1/2 price alternative to the official xbox controller. That way, I can see if I can both adjust to, and like, the button layout. As I am not much of a gamer, never had a console, and see no need for the gyro functionality, I went with a model, forget the one right now, that had over 6000+ reviews, and a 4.5 star rating. So, for the ~$40 I spent, I will see if I like the button/stick layout. It also comes with a wireless dongle, so no need to buy an additional one.

Wish me luck. I'll keep you posted.

Someone above mentioned the "stick resistance" of the xbox controller being somewhat more tight. I liked that! I don't know what exactly what to expect from the controller I bought, but, the cost combined with the reviews, seemed to me to be a safe bet. Then, if I do/can adapt to the joystick/button style, and it dies, I'll just purchase the real thing.

Thanks again to all of you!

Viper

• Options
    Ok, now to some more technical questions...

I received the following gamepad, an xbox clone, yesterday. Wireless Gaming Controller, EasySMX Dual-Vibration Joystick Gamepad Computer Game Controller for PC Windows 7/8/10, PS3, Android TV, Switch

First off, I see that the joystick/button configuration is not to my disliking...meaning, yes, I can definitely use an xbox gamepad.

But, most specifically to address the use of xbox controllers, and most especially this particular one, on the golf game I play on steam, this is what I have noticed:

1) When I was using the real DS4 controller, and had selected the DS4 Pro 2 configuration for it for the game in particular, there was literally no, how do I explain, horizontal, motion of the joystick during the swing. There was, I believe they call it, a dead zone, and I always swung the club true. The only issue I ever faced was timing; either fast, perfect, or slow, etc... But, although steam recognizes this gamepad as an xbox 360 pad, it only does so once I run the auto calibration. Otherwise, it only recognizes it as a generic gamepad.

2) Swing (left stick). I am totally erratic. I am unsure if it is this particular gamepad, or will it even be a true xbox controller in general. First off, I see no way to select a gamepad configuration for the particular game, ie. PGA Tour 2K21. The only option I have as far as a gamepad preset is for a gamepad. Nothing for the game and controller, specifically.

3) The swing stick (left), has, in my opinion, no way to control speed of swing. Once I swing back, it is like 0 to 100mph. No way to vary your swing speed. Combined with the fact that there is perceived (and I'm sure) definite horizontal motion, although I don't want to do it, but my hands are human, it is nearly impossible for me to hit any "good" shots. I can't, say, half hit a shot. It is full bore or nothing. And, if you are familiar with the game, I either hit extremely slow (most times), or extremely fast, (some times). I can find no way to calibrate this gamepad to correctly play the game. I need to know if this behavior is this pad specific, or if a real xbox controller will not behave this way. I bought this one just to see if I could deal with the stick/button layout, and I can, but I cannot swing worth a crap!!

Yes, I've run both the steam general calibration, as well as in game calibration (2x), yet my swing remains as erratic as all heck. It is actually much easier to play the game with my DS4 controller wired. No, I don't like the wire, but, at least I can play at the professional level like I have been. With this pad, unless you guys can educate me otherwise, that will NEVER be possible.

So, please let me know your thoughts on these comments. I'm gonna switch back, hopefully temporarily, to my wired DS4, so I can relax and play before bed. It just is an exercise in frustration, currently, to use the xbox clone to try and do this.

So, ALL comments are welcome!

Let me know if there is a way to get this controller to behave, or if a real xbox controller would not behave this way. I hate the fact that to play wirelessly, I need to buy a new DS4 controller, as they are not, at least for me, cheap. But, this current gamepad is totally unusable for my purposes.

I thank you all for the input you give me.

Have a good night!

Viper

• Options
    Well, one more thing. I "used" to, when using the DS4 controller, with DS4Windows, and even without, have steam recognize my controller as a DS4. Now, no matter what I try, it will only recognize it as an xbox controller. I even turned off bluetooth, so it would not connect as a wireless controller, as I am trying to use it wired. All to no avail. No matter what I try, steam sees an xbox controller, and therefore, in the pga tour 2K21 game, I cannot, although I selected DS4 controller in game, get to the controller config screen that says ds4 controller, and not just gamepad. Hence, I cannot load the DS4 Pro 2 config, as it is not available to me, as steam doesn't think I'm using a DS4.

Any advice here?

Thanks,

Viper

• Options
    Actually, in trying to play the game, just for grins, when loading it says gamepad config, but when the game starts, controller does nothing. I believe it thinks I am using a keyboard. I have no clue how to fix this. (Frustrated!)