As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

Yeah I can swing that.

And I don't really ever buy Activision games as a general rule. Like when CoD is free with PS+ I make a point of not making the free purchase.

I just wanna hear like quarterly and then every six months from people inside the studio, candidly. Which is kinda effed up, now that I think of it.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    New experiment up, I don't get it.
    EXPERIMENTAL HERO UPDATES

We’re using the 2-2-2 Role Queue ruleset so that you can get a feel for how these balance changes might affect the live game.

HERO UPDATES (ONLY IN EXPERIMENTAL)

Doomfist

Meteor Strike

Now speeds up the cooldown rate of his abilities by 100% while in the air

Developer Comments: The accelerated cooldown times will enable more fluidity with setting up Doomfist’s combos when using the Meteor Strike ultimate.

Genji

Shuriken

Damage increased from 28 to 29

Dragonblade

Damage reduced from 120 to 110

Developer Comments: The Shuriken damage increase doesn’t sound like a lot but it crosses a threshold or “breakpoint” against some enemy targets, enabling them to be eliminated with one less attack landed. To help balance out this increased power for his primary weapon we’re reducing the damage of the Dragonblade ultimate, which is also a breakpoint against some targets when being damage boosted.

Moira

Biotic Grasp

Self-healing increased from 20 to 24 health per second

Developer Comments: Moira has recently been underperforming a little bit. This increase to her self-healing with Biotic Grasp will help improve her survivability while in range to recharge her healing resources.

Roadhog

General

Now passively grants 25% less ultimate charge

Developer Comments: Roadhog tanks for his allies by being a large and threatening target with high durability which draws a lot of fire from the enemy team. We’re reducing the amount of ultimate charge he provides to better enable him in this role without as much of a downside for his own team.

Soldier: 76

Heavy Pulse Rifle

Damage increased from 19 to 20

Biotic Field

Healing reduced from 40 to 35 health per second

Developer Comments: The damage-per-shot for the Heavy Pulse Rifle has been adjusted several times now as it’s an important tuning breakpoint for Soldier: 76. It was last reduced when his weapon spread was replaced by recoil to help account for the increased accuracy potential, though with the recent reductions to his damage falloff at long range, it’s reasonable to increase his damage output once again while pulling some power out of his area-of-effect healing utility.

Wrecking Ball

Grappling Claw

Now begins on cooldown after respawning

Adaptive Shield

Cast time reduced from 0.2 seconds to 0 seconds
    Duration increased from 7 to 9 seconds

Minefield

Proximity mines no longer stick to walls

Developer Comments: Wrecking Ball is the fastest hero in the game which works well for his disruptive playstyle. However, to help reduce his contribution to objective stalling, his Grappling Claw ability will now start on cooldown upon respawning. Proximity mines will no longer attach to walls as it resulted in accidental bunched up placements, out of range from most enemy targets, more often than any intentional clever uses.

None of these characters really needed to be buffed, and 76's is basically a wash so he's still going to be strong.

I thought they would try to consider console players now with a month of crossplay, but we're out in the cold still and just fodder for PC or for terrible, terrible Switch players to sabotage. Turrets are still OP, the Ball change is going to be such a pain on console being able to just take damage and linger and wait for heals.

Breakpoint is the new buzzword but it all stems from a certain winged doctor, why don't you start there. Damage boost needs a rework or a liability factor in some form or we're going to pop back into an increase shields/armor, increase damage cycle of powercreep again.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Thoughts

Doom: Meteor Strike has been a mediocre ult ever since the range nerfs. Added utility ain't much but I guess refreshing your CDs faster is something.

Genji: Interesting as Genji was considered a terror when his damage was 30. Also remember hitscans are universally nerfed so he was already stronger off that. Blade+SS no longer breaks 200 off Mercy does hurt. And no longer 250 off Ana/Orisa.

Moira: She been meh so long I don't care.

Roadhog: Nice QoL change and maybe a test for OW2.

Soldier: 20 is a big breakpoint for Soldier and he's been decent every time he's had it. Add in general hitscan nerfs and the buffs to his ult and he might have a niche again.

Wrecking Ball: General QoL stuff and a nerf to stall. Nothing major.

Dragkonias on
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    It's wild 5 years into the game they're actually giving roadhog less ult battery

The Ball thing I dislike just because no one else has an ability on cooldown on spawn. Lucio doesn't have to wait five seconds before he amps it up - it's Hamstism, plain and simple. Mercy and Bap might still have time on rez or lamp after a spawn, but the CD isn't reset.

Justice for rodentkind!

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    increasing ball's shield uptime seems weird considering how strong that ability already is

other than that, all the other changes seem fine

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    The Ball thing I dislike just because no one else has an ability on cooldown on spawn. Lucio doesn't have to wait five seconds before he amps it up - it's Hamstism, plain and simple. Mercy and Bap might still have time on rez or lamp after a spawn, but the CD isn't reset.

Justice for rodentkind!

I'll absolutely take grapple cooldown on spawn in exchange for the other stuff, though.

Although honestly the shield duration is almost neutral because you're often out of the fight before it wears off anyway, and that makes it 2 more seconds for it to be fresh again.

Justice for rodentkind!

I'll absolutely take grapple cooldown on spawn in exchange for the other stuff, though.

Although honestly the shield duration is almost neutral because you're often out of the fight before it wears off anyway, and that makes it 2 more seconds for it to be fresh again.

The mines not sticking to walls thing is huuuge. There's a lot of places that's going to make a big difference.

Also, happy Friday everybody! I originally had this whole thing set to Apologize by Grandson, but then I did what I did on Junkrat and needed to find a longer song. So this one's for people who like Junk, Sombra, Pharah, Rein, Sigma, Ball and Sym. And 90s rock.

https://youtu.be/1Afvq7wc_s4

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Yeah...the mines change helps a lot for KotH maps.

There were so many spots where you couldn't get good point coverage cause there were walls everywhere.

Dragkonias on
    All experimental changes are live as of last night but as of this morning it's Friday, so here's some supports getting what they're owed.

https://youtu.be/4dq_J4OCdBU

• sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    The roadhog changed have fooled people into thinking he’s ok now.

He still sucks terribly.

First obvious aimbot of the season. Really obvious too, hitting every shot in fight and the spamming at the ground between fights to keep accuracy numbers down.

One dude on my team got totally tilted and started screaming at everyone, like it’s probable to beat an aimbot in a pub game with randoms. Just chill and report bro.

Went Pharah on Hollywood defense just now vs. a Widow who demonstrated she can headshot me out of the sky and will roll half my team when left uncontested.

I considered my Widow counter swap options - Tracer, Sombra (was already taken) - and figure I'll just stay on Pharah and keep my head on a swivel. Sometimes it's a rough game and you just gotta' buckle in. She had a Mercy pocket most of the game but to our support's credit, so did I, and we held it in streets. I ended up getting a sharpshooter PotG for putting long distance shots on her through the choke, and her Moira, who decided to stand over her corpse, meleeing it as she got rocketed.

Was a good game.

Healed 41% of team dmg. Still get blamed for the loss by the genji who got 2 blade kills across 3 rounds of KOTH.

6 games so far tonight. Lost 4, 3 with throwers on my team. In the actual games that were 6v6, went 2 and 1.

Apparently throwers stream themselves? One guy was advertising his throwing stream during the game (spent most of the game spamming chat and occasionally suiciding to avoid getting disconnected).

Seems healthy for the game.

edited August 2021
    7 and 3 last night, just turned it around from 3 and 7 to 4 and 6 for tonight. That's how it goes : |

Had one of those games where you're flexing for passes, actually get DPS, and actually get to play your main and rock socks. Went 30 and 1 once I switched to Tracer, and drove their Zen up the wall.

Chance on
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    The important thing is that the game experience is consistent.

steam_sig.png
    'tis. In its own way. 7 and 3 tonight flexing back and forth and practicing McCree.

Had one of those Rein shatters that let my brother's D.Va bomb get PotG, it was cool.

:( spend 2 days cutting together a video I'm pretty happy with and Little Black Submarines by The Black Keys is blocked worldwide. :(

poo butt

:( spend 2 days cutting together a video I'm pretty happy with and Little Black Submarines by The Black Keys is blocked worldwide. :(

poo butt

Time to find a MIDI approximation!

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    The PTR is up with some nifty custom game changes. https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/patch-notes/ptr/
    New Custom Game Browser Tabs:
    Popular
    Favorites
    Recent
    All Games

New Custom Game Setting:
    Mode Name

Previously, it was difficult for players to keep track of the ever-growing collection of player-created game modes. The Custom Game Browser’s new tabs give these modes a chance to shine. The Popular tab shows off some of the most-played modes as well as modes that have started to trend. The Favorites tab lets you build a personal collection of modes -- just select the star icon next to any mode you’d like to see in this list. The Recent tab shows modes that you have recently played. Finally, the All Games tab gives you the standard, familiar list of lobbies. We've also added the ability to search for lobbies by share code.

In order to help identify modes, we’ve added a new Mode Name setting right above the Description in Custom Game Settings. This Mode Name will be used to represent modes in the Custom Game Browser tabs. Creators are encouraged to reupload their modes with Mode Name filled out. (If it isn’t filled out, the share code itself is displayed instead.)

Since these new features are being used by the public for the first time, we may need to make adjustments to how the Popular tab chooses its modes. If you notice that the Popular tab isn’t showing the modes that you might expect, please be patient with us as we tune the feature to present the best collection of modes that we can.

We’re excited about the possibilities these new features will bring to Custom Games, and we’ll be watching and listening to your feedback to improve the Custom Game Browser experience.

TLDR, they finally have a Popular tab to advertise mods, and you can filter the list by specific mods that you've favorited or played recently.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The other day it was a box for QP for support and well I carried that team
    99fsq9zcyv5m.jpg
    But I did not get the play of the game or a highlight as oddly it was for someone doing the waiting room?

There's a new Bastion token skin, a pirate ship theme. It's actually very good and detailed, probably his best one for such a terrible, terrible hero, better than lego. It reminds of something Franky would make, ssssssssssssuuuuupppeeeerrrrrr!

K2VnnGp.jpg

Happy Friday, folks.

https://youtu.be/PAA6Fp0NhOY

edited August 2021
    McCree is being renamed due to the controversy around his namesake at Blizzard, and they're even delaying a story event they had planned for September because of it:

Surprised they went that far. I guess they have a lot of voicework to re-record with his name in it, and they want to do it across the entire game's content at once.

Zek on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    That's a lot of audio that needs to be fixed.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Gotta get Matt Mercer back in the booth the record a lot of him saying "not" in the character's voice. Just jam the "not" in where applicable. "Name's NOT McCree"

Need some good PR with everything that's happening internally.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I really wonder how often his name comes up. I mean, some, I feel like Ana says Jesse at some point, but characters don't name other characters all that often.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited August 2021
    Echo obviously says McCree, but I imagine they have that VA on lockdown considering how frequently they'll need to get her in to do lines here and there.

I swear Mercy says "McCree" during one of their pre-match banters, which is tragically impossible to re-record.

Edit: Er, I guess they could for the English Mercy; It's apparently the Portuguese Mercy's VA who has passed.

BloodySloth on
    I'm sorry, this is stupid. No one would know who he's named after if they didn't bring it up like this. A real Streissand effect.

McCree is a great cowboy name. Flat out. You can remove or change the celebrity in the limo calling him Jesse McCree and that's it, the rest is 90% McCree and 10% Jesse. I could even buy his first name changing to Dabmaster or something. I don't even know 76's full name off my head, I think his first name is Jack. And I know he has a last name, I just can't remember it right now, like Reaper's last name is Reyes. For playing the game for five years I actually don't know a lot of their real names....Torbjorn Pewdiepie, right? Reinhardt Yeager? Lucio copa Lucioball?

Maybe next time focus on not employing the harasser or use McCree to talk shit about the previous guy, like "this is someone who should be called Jesse McCree, not this guy who perved on women in the workplace."

TexiKen wrote: »
    I'm sorry, this is stupid. No one would know who he's named after if they didn't bring it up like this. A real Streissand effect.

McCree is a great cowboy name. Flat out. You can remove or change the celebrity in the limo calling him Jesse McCree and that's it, the rest is 90% McCree and 10% Jesse. I could even buy his first name changing to Dabmaster or something. I don't even know 76's full name off my head, I think his first name is Jack. And I know he has a last name, I just can't remember it right now, like Reaper's last name is Reyes. For playing the game for five years I actually don't know a lot of their real names....Torbjorn Pewdiepie, right? Reinhardt Yeager? Lucio copa Lucioball?

Maybe next time focus on not employing the harasser or use McCree to talk shit about the previous guy, like "this is someone who should be called Jesse McCree, not this guy who perved on women in the workplace."

They already fired the guy, that's how it got out that he was one of the perpetrators. Yes they could have just changed his first name and deleted a few voice lines and called it a day. But the name McCree was still chosen to honor a misogynist, and that stain on the game's legacy would never go away. This is a symbolic gesture that's intended to prove that the Overwatch team regrets the part they played in treating this guy like a rockstar which enabled his crimes. Blizzard needs every PR win they can get right now, not just the bare minimum.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021

man I'm used to you having bad takes, but this is a really bad take.

like, the rank and file on the OW team didn't hire the guy, they can't control how the company responds to everything else that's happening, but taking a moment to say "hey, the guy this character is named after? fuck that guy, he doesn't deserve to be recognized or remembered" is far from stupid, and the fact that you think it's a good cowboy name is completely meaningless compared to that. there are a million other good cowboy names out there.

yes, of course the company shouldn't be a haven for sexual predators, and of course they should do everything they can to fix that, but even though this is a small gesture it's still nothing but a good thing.

(also, changing this is going to be a huge pain in the ass for them with no material benefit beyond making a moral statement, so like..."this is dumb, I like the name, wah wah" makes you seem pretty damn immature and selfish)

Houk the Namebringer on
    If this is creating a problem internally for the developers and what they perceive the feelings of the fanbase are, just delete McCree from the game. I’m 100% serious with this. They’re the ones concluding this cowboy with a robot hand in a robot world is too synonymous to a developer in the real world. I’d respect deletion much, much more because that’s a real stand on the whole situation. They already tried to do it with everything Sinatraa related.

Parts are not the whole. Say a voice actor on the game like Matt Mercer is revealed to be a real monster and the casting director knew but did nothing. The solution is to fire both of those people and replace the voice actor. You wouldn’t change the character's voice to be this New England Kennedy Chowda voice to really distance from Mercers portrayal. Because McCree is not Matt Mercer and no one would presume they're the same.

That’s not immature or selfish. If these bad takes are that much of a problem use the ignore button, because you’re the one constantly knocking the posters in this thread for thinking differently about the game.

If this is creating a problem internally for the developers and what they perceive the feelings of the fanbase are, just delete McCree from the game. I’m 100% serious with this. They’re the ones concluding this cowboy with a robot hand in a robot world is too synonymous to a developer in the real world. I’d respect deletion much, much more because that’s a real stand on the whole situation. They already tried to do it with everything Sinatraa related.

Parts are not the whole. Say a voice actor on the game like Matt Mercer is revealed to be a real monster and the casting director knew but did nothing. The solution is to fire both of those people and replace the voice actor. You wouldn’t change the character's voice to be this New England Kennedy Chowda voice to really distance from Mercers portrayal. Because McCree is not Matt Mercer and no one would presume they're the same.

That’s not immature or selfish. If these bad takes are that much of a problem use the ignore button, because you’re the one constantly knocking the posters in this thread for thinking differently about the game.

Are you for real right now? It's like you just have to automatically take the most contrarian position no matter how extreme it is. The problem isn't that McCree's character in the game is modeled after a real life person. His name is a real life name, that's all. If the voice actor had a major scandal they would probably replace him, yes. This time it's the name that has a scandal, so they're replacing it. You seem to be suggesting that changing McCree's name to some other cowboy name is a bridge too far that ruins the character to the point he may as well be deleted.

I’m saying it’s a non issue, the name doesn’t need to be changed because the real life McCree isn’t the game character.

Symbols have meaning. Naming a character after a real life person gives the appearance that you're honoring that person. When that person is a virulent misogynist, and especially when the player is someone who has reason to be sensitive about this issue, the name is a constant unpleasant reminder of misogyny and the power it held over Blizzard during that time.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I’m saying it’s a non issue, the name doesn’t need to be changed because the real life McCree isn’t the game character.

Oh shit you're right, the video game character isn't actually the real life person this changes everything!

Why did no one realize this before??

2x39jD4.jpg
    That is why I am serious about just deleting him if it is such an issue in the company. You change McCree's name, he’s still there. The reminder to the people is still there. Will they ban the name McCree in chats now? Are announcers going to be punished if they misspeak?

They're desperately trying to spin a win out of their own failures, and as I read that statement it's pretty clear they're trying lay all of the blame in that report at this McCree guy's feet without directly saying it, when I'd blame Jeff much more for letting this shit happen for years.

edited August 2021
    That is why I am serious about just deleting him if it is such an issue in the company. You change McCree's name, he’s still there. The reminder to the people is still there. Will they ban the name McCree in chats now? Are announcers going to be punished if they misspeak?

They're desperately trying to spin a win out of their own failures, and as I read that statement it's pretty clear they're trying lay all of the blame in that report at this McCree guy's feet without directly saying it, when I'd blame Jeff much more for letting this shit happen for years.

The real life McCree was the lead designer of Diablo 4 at the time he was fired. Not sure what role he had in the company earlier, and there's no way to know if Jeff or the people who chose the name knew about the controversies. I doubt it though, if they'd known they would have suspected the name choice would backfire eventually.

The idea of deleting the character is just too absurd to address, I don't know how you can seriously advocate for that while also saying the name change is unnecessary.

Zek on