As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC! Thread Title Update

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    harper is great

she's poor, hijacks electricity from the city without paying for it, has cool hair, shoots a giant gun

what's not to like

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    what kind of question is this? of course "character comes to the realization that they're queer and are looking forward to exploring that" is handled better than "character is revealed to be queer by being outed by someone"

I think it's a valid one because as much as I like DC, I have a hard time lately trusting them in handling some of my favorite characters. Case in point, Wally West.
    I had no problem with how Wally was being written during Rebirth until they put him in Heroes In Crisis, a stupid story that turned him into an accidental mass-murderer because of a Speed Force retcon and some delusion of his that everyone in-verse was treating his return like how the fans were. A story that wasn't even built around him, Booster or Harley if what I saw in the AT4W review for the mini-series was correct. It took giving him Dr. Manhattan's powers, resetting the multiverse (again) AND a follow-up story just to fix what happened to him. Not that it makes HiC poof away into non-existence sadly.

As for Tim, let me make it absolutely crystal clear: I don't give a FUUUUUUUUCK in of itself that he's into guys. That in no way changes who he is. He's the guy that figured out who Batman really was, saw that Batman was slowly falling apart due to Jason's death and then put on a Robin suit not just to save him and Nightwing, but to also help Bruce out mentally. The Robins before him put the suit in part so that they'd have a better situation then what life gave them. Tim put it on to give that to someone else that needed it. So if he feels more at home with another guy, good for him. Lord knows being part of the Bat-family, he can use all the good times he can get. That said, I know this is the sort of moment in a comic-book character's life that gets a lot of attention so if DC's gonna swing, they better not miss. And then there's my confusion that Tim's hooking up with someone else. Because last thing I knew, he and Steph were practically engaged. Did they break up mutually? Was it messy? Was it on or off-panel? I like Steph like some others here and as Zoom said, she tends to get dumped on by DC sooner or later. Hell, last major dumping involved Tim's 'death' in Detective Comics and Steph quitting Batwoman's team and I believe going as far as working against them at times. So yeah, I wanna know if the story was handled well, if not better then Iceman's. Because "character comes to the realization that they're queer and are looking forward to exploring that" can indeed be done poorly. ANY good story idea can be done real bad.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2021
    dc has multiple lgbtq+ editors and creators, put out a critically acclaimed queer pride anthology by queer creators starring big name queer characters two months ago, tynion has introduced multiple new queer characters in his batman run, tom taylor either creates new or uses existing queer characters in basically every book he writes (just using two big name writers here)

not to mention like, every dc tv show of the last decade having lgbtq+ representation on and off screen

it just seems strange to me to look at all that and say "was this story handled better than *infamous disgustingly badly handled storyline from 6 years ago *?"

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Iceman's outing was written by Brian Michael Bendis, a guy I consider having written a lot of good stories before that one. Good for DC on presenting it well in the past but that doesn't get them a Get Out Of Jail card for a crappy story later on just like it doesn't for Bendis on that one. We both agree that Iceman's story was a very low bar. All I wanted to know is if Tim's made the jump over it easy. That's all.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    the thing is

if it wasn't good, people wouldn't be talking about it positively

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    the thing is

if it wasn't good, people wouldn't be talking about it positively

Then it's good. Cool then. While we're on the topic of Tim by the way, two new Robin mini-series announced.

DC Comics wrote:
    High-flying action heads your way this November in #DCRoundRobin winner ROBINS and ROBIN & BATMAN. Learn more here: https://bit.ly/37xd9dh

Robins is about Dick, Jason, Tim, Steph and Damien coming together and dealing with someone who claims she's the original Robin. Robin And Batman is about Dick's first days as Robin.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I think it's understandable to be wary of comics handling these issues, but it's also definitely a good idea to listen when people say they're doing it right.

• Options
    calling it now the "original robin" is bette kane

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular

Finally. I've been waiting 7 years for this book.

For those who don't know, Operation Justice Incarnate is a team that formed in 2014's Multiversity and have had sporadic appearances since then. They act as a sort of U.N. Peacekeeping force for the Local Multiverse of 52 universes. They're both the first line of defense against invaders from outside the multiverse and mediators who can help settle disputes between the universes.
    Over in the pages of Infinite Frontier, they're currently dealing with a new team that's been formed to oppose them, Operation Injustice Incarnate. That story will set them up for this mini-series.

The team members pictured on this cover include:
    • Superman of Earth-23 — Born on the island of Vathlo on the planet Krypton, Superman was sent to Earth from that doomed world as a baby. Adopted by a couple reminiscent of the titular protagonists from the sitcom The Jeffersons, he was instilled with their values. He possesses a much less hands-off philosophy toward humanity at large than most other Supermen of the multiverse, as his secret identity, Calvin Ellis, is the current President of the United States.
    • Flashpoint Batman — The temporal disruption known as the Flashpoint birthed a brief alternate timeline where Doctor Thomas Wayne survived his infamous encounter with the mugger Joe Chill in Gotham's Crime Alley, but his son Bruce did not. Mentally broken by witnessing the murder of his child, Wayne became a violent vigilante who slaughtered the costumed criminals of Gotham like animals. When the timeline was corrected, otherworldly forces conspired to prevent this version of Batman from fading out of existence. He was rescued by the Superman of Earth-23 from an abduction attempt, and has so far remained with Operation Justice Incarnate while he tries to figure out what to do next with his life.
    • Mary Marvel of Earth-5 — Mary Bromfield is the long lost twin sister of Billy Batson, the secret identity of the superhero Captain Marvel. When the two of them were reunited, Batson shared the secret of his magic word with her, which led to the discovery that their mystical connection as twins allows her to use the word to transform as well. She has since used her powers to protect Earth-5 from villains such as Aunt Minerva, Mister Banjo, and Nippo the Nipponese.
    • Avery Ho of Earth-0 — Avery was accidentally granted superspeed by a criminal research organization named Blackhole, who were searching for practical ways to tap into the extradimensional Speed Force that gives the Flash his superpowers. After being mentored by the Flash, she too chose to become a superhero. She was contacted by the Chinese Communist Party, as her Chinese American heritage and similar powerset to the Flash made her an ideal candidate for their Justice League of China initiative, a plan to create their own superhero team that's exactly like the Justice League and then claim America stole the idea from them. Ho may now be joining Operation Justice Incarnate to rescue her mentor from the predicament in which he has found himself in the pages of Infinite Frontier.
    • Aquawoman of Earth-11 — When Queen Hippolyta prayed to the gods to give her a child, her wish was granted, but with a catch. The child she received was a male, forbidden on the Amazons' magically secluded island of Themyscira. The Queen took this as a sign that it was time for the Amazons to end their long isolation from Man's World and publicly reveal their existence. With their advanced technology and enlightened culture, Themyscira was quickly recognized as the world's dominant political superpower, though they still had rivals, such as the undersea kingdom of Atlantis. In part to keep the Amazons' ambitions in check, the headstrong and prideful Queen of Atlantis, Aquawoman, formed a team of talented individuals called the Justice Guild. Their membership also includes Queen Hippolyta's own rebellious son, Wonderous Man.
    • Thunderer of Earth-7 — As the physical avatar of the Aboriginal Australian storm god Wundajin, Thunderer acted as a superhero alongside others in his universe, many of whom where stylish, modernized counterparts of superheroes from Earth-8 and Earth-0. Unfortunately, Earth-7 was ground zero for an invasion into our multiverse by the villainous Gentry, a group of surreal, abstract horrors who specialize in robbing universes of their hopeful messages and inspirational meanings in order to make those universes more appetizing to their master, the cosmically nihilistic being known as the Empty Hand. Nix Uotan, the Multiversal Monitor, managed to send Thunderer away mere moments before the Gentry irreversibly transformed his home into a nightmarish hellscape. Now the last son of a dead universe, Thunderer is more committed to the mission of Operation Justice Incarnate than anyone else, in hopes that he might one day avenge his fallen reality.
    • Captain Carrot of Earth-26 — Hailing from a unique tooniverse with much more elastic natural laws, comic book writer and artist Rodney Rabbit gains spectacular superpowers by eating cosmic carrots that have been exposed to the radiation of a meteorite. But even without those powers, his body's ability to squash and stretch upon taking damage, a trait common to all denizens of Earth-26, makes him by far the most durable member of Operation Justice Incarnate, as well as providing his teammates with some much appreciated levity.

• Options
    infinite frontier has been a lot of fun, definitely looking forward to that

• Options
    I wonder how capable FP-Batman will come off as here as he's not exactly the first Batman I'd pick for a team like this. Though that'd probably be a plot-hook in of itself.

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »
    I wonder how capable FP-Batman will come off as here as he's not exactly the first Batman I'd pick for a team like this. Though that'd probably be a plot-hook in of itself.

He isn't actually the team's original Batman. That would be the Batman of Earth-17, a world that was once devastated by a nuclear war and is now a wild wilderness of mutated monsters, not unlike the Fallout video game series. Another member of the team who's missing from the cover is the Green Lantern of Ungara-20, an alien who tries to keep a low profile on Earth because his horns, pointy ears, and red skin might cause humans to mistake him for a devil, much like in the classic science-fiction short story Childhood's End.

Flashpoint Batman being on the team is more a matter of happenstance. As I mentioned above, he sort of ended up with them by accident. He knows for sure that he doesn't want to go to Earth-0 because he's ashamed of his actions in Tom King's Batman run. So for now he's just keeping himself busy by helping out however he can.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Tonight I watched the first three episodes of Titan's third season.

Somehow I forgot that Vincent Kartheiser was playing Scarecrow this season.

And JESUS CHRIST are they having some fun with ol' Dr. Jonathan Crane.
    He's the GCPD's version of Hannibal Lecter but his central requirement for assistance in profiling criminals is the cops have to pay him in weed. An actual line spoken by him is, "I’m talking 70-30 sativa. Lemon lyric is my favorite, but I’m not a name-brand whore."

In one scene, within his prison cage, Scarecrow hits a bong while talking to Nightwing and immediately afterwards offers Dick Grayson a pop off it too.

God, what a show...

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    ....Nippo the Nipponese?

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    ....Nippo the Nipponese?

Whatever you're imagining, it's worse than that. There are some reasons why the golden age Captain Marvel stories haven't been collected in a long, long time, and probably never will be again.

Trigger warning for slurs, insensitive caricatures, harmful stereotypes, really just the whole package.
    I'm not kidding. Just say no to showing this spoiler.
    I warned you.

aket0q0q3ezy.jpg

And that's just one page.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I understand that, but why are we mentioning that shit in 20 godsdamned 21?

• Options
    edited August 2021

Earth-5 is the golden age Fawcett Comics universe. Nippo's just the tip of the iceberg there. Aunt Minerva is an elderly female crime boss who repeatedly tried to trick Captain Marvel into marrying her. Mister Banjo is a fat man in a straw hat who disguised his coded transmissions to the Axis Powers in the form of folksongs. And the super creatively named Captain Nazi was Nippo's counterpart in the other theater of war. They all later ended up working for Mister Mind, the super intelligent caterpillar from Venus who wore glasses and communicated through a tiny radio that hung around his neck.

The place is antiquated in a lot of ways, some more uncomfortable than others.

Ivan Hunger on
  • Options
    edited August 2021

oh shit i didn't read all that, i assumed it was a press release posted, but no, it's just ivan hunger's choice to post it?

ain't that the same poster that posted sinophobic shit in here before and got called out on it?

i highly doubt (hope!) we're going to get racist caricatures in a 2021 mainstream event comic

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    you uh

you don't gotta keep talking about the racist caricature my guy

that's not a choice you had to make

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2021
    @Ivan Hunger Can you please not dredge up racist characters from antiquity? Literally nobody wants that in this thread other than you.

A duck! on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    It's extremely possible to acknowledge racism exists in the history of comics without explicitly saying all of the various slurs and showing the various racist caricatures. I promise that everyone here can do the research on their own, if they'd like.

• Options

oh shit i didn't read all that, i assumed it was a press release posted, but no, it's just ivan hunger's choice to post it?

ain't that the same poster that posted sinophobic shit in here before and got called out on it?

i highly doubt (hope!) we're going to get racist caricatures in a 2021 mainstream event comic

I had assumed that Mary Marvel had been shown actually fighting these guys, which was why I was pissed.

If you had said "she's from the original Fawcetts" it would have been a bit clearer.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    What exactly is the state of the multiverse now? I know there's a figurative North and South Pole to it now via the pair of special Earths but is it still at 52 or are the 52 just the core of a much bigger multiverse now?

Owenashi on
  • Options

I had assumed that Mary Marvel had been shown actually fighting these guys, which was why I was pissed.

If you had said "she's from the original Fawcetts" it would have been a bit clearer.

I was pretty shocked when I learned that the Marvel Family was still fighting some of those guys all the way up to the mid-80's, right before they were integrated into the mainline DC Universe and the Thomases rebooted them in Shazam: A New Beginning, the first of what would prove to be many hard reboots for the characters.

The last depiction of the full Monster Society of Evil lineup was in Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe #15. I wonder how Dave Gibbons felt when he was asked to draw that?

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    As one of like, 3 dozen Zoo Crew fans worldwide, it does my heart good to see Captain Carrot getting some spotlight again (Funny since I was just rereading about the Zoo Crew last week)

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    What exactly is the state of the multiverse now? I know there's a figurative North and South Pole to it now via the pair of special Earths but is it still at 52 or are the 52 just the core of a much bigger multiverse now?

The 52 universes and their immediate, surrounding outer realms, as detailed in Multiversity, were established as the Local Multiverse, also called the Orrery of Worlds. They are relatively (and that's a big relatively) easy to travel between. And the Local Multiverse has been slowly growing since Multiversity. In Metal: The Wild Hunt #1, a newly discovered baby reality matures into a fully grown parallel universe. This turns out to be the home of the Primate Legion from DC One Million 80-Page Giant #1000000, consisting of Titano the Super-Ape, Sea Monkey, the Tarsier, and World's Greatest Detective Chimp, as pictured below:

z5locmdxx3gm.png

The Local Multiverse is suspended in an infinite blankness known as the Overvoid. Other multiverses exist in the Overvoid, and travel between them is possible but beyond the Local Multiverse's current level of technology. One such parallel multiverse is mentioned by the Empty Hand in The Multiversity #2.

vcgbg9yauz4o.png

If you read about Metal or Death Metal, you may have heard about something called the Dark Multiverse. If the Orrery of Worlds is like a carefully cultivated garden, the Dark Multiverse is like a parasitic fungus growing wild in the soil beneath its roots. Uniquely anomalous, it constantly spawns new universes around unsustainably tragic narratives that are inevitably destroyed from within. When distinguishing between universes in the Orrery and universes in the Dark Multiverse, positive and negative signs are sometimes used respectively, such as writing Earth +34 and Earth –34. When the Dark Multiverse is not involved in the discussion, the tradition hyphenated format is still the most commonly used, such as Earth-34.

If the Dark Multiverse sounds like an outlet for comic book writers to indulge their worst impulses without ruining the real multiverse, that's because it is exactly that.

tahjgj14vuhk.png

As for the state of the multiverse after Death Metal, no one really knows exactly what it is. That's why Infinite Frontier is called Infinite Frontier. Everyone's putting their feelers out to get the lay of the land, with various factions (the D.E.O., the Totality, Operation Justice Incarnate, Darkseid and Psycho-Pirate) all taking different approaches. What we have discovered is that all the previously known universes in the Orrery still exist, as does the Dark Multiverse and its endless stream of nightmares, but Death Metal has brought new realities into existence as well. The two confirmed ones, which you mentioned in your post, are Earth-Α and Earth-Ω. We have a pretty good idea of what Earth-Ω is thanks to its appearances in Infinite Frontier, but the only thing we know about Earth-Α is that it is also called The Elseworld, a reference to the branding used from 1991 to 2004 to mark stories that took place outside the mainline continuity. Any other newly created realities are still a total mystery… for now.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    As one of like, 3 dozen Zoo Crew fans worldwide, it does my heart good to see Captain Carrot getting some spotlight again (Funny since I was just rereading about the Zoo Crew last week)

As a fellow Zoo Crew afficianado, fist bump

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    So Infinite Frontier ended in an unexpected way by bringing back something even more unexpected.
    That being the original pre-Crisis Multiverse. Or what looks to be it's collective corpse at least, called Multiverse-2. Oh, and Parah's also back and he looks to be the villain of the next big event story in the same way Hal Jordan was during Zero Hour.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "All of this has happened before, and will happen again."

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    So Infinite Frontier ended in an unexpected way by bringing back something even more unexpected.
    That being the original pre-Crisis Multiverse. Or what looks to be it's collective corpse at least, called Multiverse-2. Oh, and Parah's also back and he looks to be the villain of the next big event story in the same way Hal Jordan was during Zero Hour.

Jesus, DCis really consistent to a fault on their naming schemes.

I can't think of a less interesting name.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    super universe god super universe

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I stand corrected!

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »

gotta disagree because a) the reveal was (unintentionally?) hilarious and 2) the name makes sense in the story and with dc's history
    a) after 6 issues of teasing darkseid, he finally shows up and gives a teaser for the next part of the story, but then there's an epilogue and you're thinking "wait what's gonna be bigger than whatever darkseid is up to?" and you turn the page and it's MULTIVERSE-2

2) earth-2 was home to all of the first dc characters after the silver age took off and the new/revamped characters became "earth-1", so it makes sense to name the original multiverse that was replaced with the current popular one "multiverse-2"

• Options
    Speculation that's been going around based on the ending of Infinite Frontier #6.
    So Pariah somehow uses Barry Allen to create Earth-Flash.1, a universe where Allen's parents are alive, Wally West is still Kid Flash, the Tornado Twins are growing up in the present day, and Wallace West is just an infant.

And people have been pointing out that this is what the Flash's life would be like without crossover events. Crisis on Infinite Earths never happens, so Allen never has to send his wife and children to the 31st Century and Wally West never has to take his place as the Flash. Final Crisis/Flash Rebirth never happens, so Allen's parents never die. Flashpoint never happens, so Wally West never disappears and Wallace West never takes his place as Kid Flash.

And this has got people thinking that Pariah's plan is to create a universe like this for every superhero. Each one will exist in isolation, with no other superheroes on Earth except their family of mentors, partners, and sidekicks. No more team-ups, crossovers, or events. No more shared universe. This is Pariah's way of solving the crisis problem.

I can see why people think that would be an interesting story hook. Exploring why the DC heroes are better together, even if the price they have to pay for that is the occasional crisis event.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Because what makes a hero is pain and suffering and self-sacrifice. :eyeroll: God forbid that someone might want and decide to be a hero just to do good, rather than because of a tragic backstory.

When did DC turn into Marvel pointless wallowing in angst? No no, don't tell me... I bet I can find an actual date. (Side bet, I bet it's somewhere around Flashpoint and/or New52.)

Sometimes it seems like everyone, in all forms of DC-related media, has decided that every hero needs to be Batman.
    (and Bruce himself has to be the unhappiest of the lot.)

Or maybe it's that the tragedy naturally accumulates over decades, the inevitable result of endless serialized soap opera in tights, featuring corporate-owned characters who aren't ever allowed to have actual resolutions or endings.

eh. maybe I should just not post in this thread. sorry.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    sarukun wrote: »

gotta disagree because a) the reveal was (unintentionally?) hilarious and 2) the name makes sense in the story and with dc's history
    a) after 6 issues of teasing darkseid, he finally shows up and gives a teaser for the next part of the story, but then there's an epilogue and you're thinking "wait what's gonna be bigger than whatever darkseid is up to?" and you turn the page and it's MULTIVERSE-2

2) earth-2 was home to all of the first dc characters after the silver age took off and the new/revamped characters became "earth-1", so it makes sense to name the original multiverse that was replaced with the current popular one "multiverse-2"

None of that really makes this seem any less silly to me, but I didn’t come in here to yuck anybody’s yums.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    So for the ending of Infinite Frontier, does that mean, for example
    There’s an “Earth-Barry” and an “Earth-Wally” for each of them to be the Flash? And I guess an “Earth-Jay” as well.

• Options
    There’s an “Earth-Barry” and an “Earth-Wally” for each of them to be the Flash? And I guess an “Earth-Jay” as well.
    The general implication that some are theorizing is that Parah's plan is to stick each hero into their own reality in which the various Crisis events never happened if Barry's Earth-Flash.1. is the standard.

• Options
    The numbering does imply that. Note that the universe created from/for Barry Allen is Earth-Flash.1. This means there could be an Earth-Flash.2 and an Earth-Flash.3 for other superheroes who are also called The Flash.