As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Remastered GTA Trilogy?

Feh. Gimme Bully.

Bully was awesome too. Man, I'm just being reminded how rockstar is a shadow of their former selves. They used to be awesome. Now we get the same game over the span of 3 console generations.

I'd say releasing the same work over and over again is completely in keeping with the idea of a rock star

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I was working at EBGames when GTA3 launched. We had 1 preorder for it and received 6 copies. That morning, the preorder guy was waiting for me at the gate and was fucking psyched about picking it up.

In retrospect, that game flew under everyone’s radar and then picked up steam via word of mouth. Also that guy was way ahead of the curve.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Zunde wrote: »
    For the past two years i have been uploading my screenshots into a folder on my PC from my switch and apparently after curiously looking at it i have taken 56,190 screenshots.

I uh.. i think i have a problem.

Yep, need 43,810 more screenshots.

No no, they only need 13,230 more.

Actually you need 8,619,119 more.

i'm not doing any of this math! I assume it makes the calculator say boobies though

If so the number is off.
    Should be 5,261,818. Yeah, I was bored and used a calculator.

Edit: Some things are just not the same...

boobies.jpg

867530ni-ee-ine

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Also I’ve already taken 390 screenshots in Axiom Verge 2 and that only came out yesterday.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    axiom verge 2 is VERY pretty, I love it. I can feel the improvement the dev has made with their pixel art from the first one.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I was working at EBGames when GTA3 launched. We had 1 preorder for it and received 6 copies. That morning, the preorder guy was waiting for me at the gate and was fucking psyched about picking it up.

In retrospect, that game flew under everyone’s radar and then picked up steam via word of mouth. Also that guy was way ahead of the curve.

Meanwhile we had 350 pre-orders for San Andreas. I drove over an hour to pick up my store's copies from the airport so we could get it a day early. Even then, the publisher wouldn't let us sell it until 7pm.

Fun day.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, Vice City and beyond were bonkers in the presell numbers.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I remember when GTA3 was hard to find for a short while after release, and a lot of rumors were going around that the game had actually been banned for being too violent.

• Options
    Axiom Verge 2 is so good. I’m about 9.5 hours in now.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I sat down and finally gave Disaster report 4 a try and uh.. that game is a god damn fever dream.
    I started out crawling out of a bus after an earthquake toppled it and ended leaping from a shiprun by human traffickers attempting to kidnap survivors after rigging it with a makeshift dynamite bomb and also somehow managed to swindle the USD equal of around 180 million dollars in yen from people along the way.

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Drez wrote: »
    Also I’ve already taken 390 screenshots in Axiom Verge 2 and that only came out yesterday.

So is your thumb just in the wrong place on the controller?

"Time to jump, aw shit, that's 14 more screenshots!"
    Dirty wrote: »
    I remember when GTA3 was hard to find for a short while after release, and a lot of rumors were going around that the game had actually been banned for being too violent.

I worked in two different game stores over the first few months of the GTA3 release and it was drilled into us: don't sell to kids!

The game had a BBFC 18 age rating that didn't apply in Ireland anyway, but no one wanted the associated angry parents or bad press.

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I worked at a gamestore for a few of the big GTA Releases and my experience was basically

"I can't sell you this game you're not old enough."
    "WHY WON'T YOU SELL MY CHILD THIS GAME YOU AWFUL PERSON" *Buys game and storms off*

Next day

"WHY DID YOU SELL THIS GAME TO MY CHILD IT'S DISGUSTING OH MY GOD!"

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I worked at a Blockbuster when Gta 3 came out. I had no idea if it was any good but I'd go look at the pictures on the box and thought it looked neat.

It sat there for weeks not checked out before all the sudden it was all anybody was looking for.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    classic meaning the 2D top down ones? those are terrible though

I assume it's gonna be some combination of GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas, and GTA4 (with the three GTA3 games making the most sense to me)

Edit: I'm pretty sure they know literally no one wants to play GTA before GTA3 :P

NGL, I never got into the 3D games, but I did have plenty of fun fooling around in the original.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    GTA 3 was great when you used the cheat to get all weapons and money and then just run around blowing stuff up. Back when games had cheat codes.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

This reminds me of the pre internet days in elementary school when everyone would spread rumors about video games (secret levels, characters, items, etc.) and we'd always rush home to try them out.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    GTA 3 was great when you used the cheat to get all weapons and money and then just run around blowing stuff up. Back when games had cheat codes.

Seeing how long you can keep the tank from blowing up.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

While I mainly played it on PS2 (where I tried all the cheats), I recall pirating the PC version some years later and finding out online that they had all the car handling stats in essentially plain text in an easy to find file. I remember making ice cream trucks handle like sports cars with the weight and durability of a tank.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I remember playing through Vice City when I was clearing some backlog a few years ago. I really enjoyed it until the last few storyline missions or so, when I was done with it and just wanted to complete a GTA game for once :biggrin: . Having the three GTA3-engine games on Switch sounds cool.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Re: early top-down GTAs.

I played Retro City Rampage on the 3DS, and thought it was pretty fun, and I hear it's similar to the old GTAs.

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    If you weren't using the flying cars cheat to fly the tank off the edge of Shoreside Vale then you weren't really playing GTA3.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

All Top 30 best selling retail games in Japan last week were Nintendo Switch titles, first time a Top 30 is from a single console since at least November 1988, when the Top 30 was Famicom only.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    The Switch is on pace to recording record high hours played this year for me.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    The Switch is on pace to recording record high hours played this year for me.

I'm very interested in seeing what my hours played this year is. I know they have a thing they send out at around December to find out... But this year has been pretty bad for me. I've been mostly playing PS5 and PC so far. If they'd let me play the old Metroid games on my Switch (GBA, DS, etc) then I'd certainly have more.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular

While I mainly played it on PS2 (where I tried all the cheats), I recall pirating the PC version some years later and finding out online that they had all the car handling stats in essentially plain text in an easy to find file. I remember making ice cream trucks handle like sports cars with the weight and durability of a tank.

You just reminded me how amazing the "no friction" mod for Vice City was. The city just slowly descending into hilarious chaos with cars sliding all over the road and up buildings and such. I hope the remasters keep those text files...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I worked at a gamestore for a few of the big GTA Releases and my experience was basically

"I can't sell you this game you're not old enough."
    "WHY WON'T YOU SELL MY CHILD THIS GAME YOU AWFUL PERSON" *Buys game and storms off*

Next day

"WHY DID YOU SELL THIS GAME TO MY CHILD IT'S DISGUSTING OH MY GOD!"

Not a personal experience but an observed one:
    EB Employee [To two kids trying to buy Doom (like, the original one)]: "Okay, how old are you?"
    Kid [after a long pause]: "Uh... fifteen!"
    EB Employee: "Nope, you had to look at the age rating on the box."

(they were thirteen, max)

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Pokemon Direct next wednesday
    Pokémon
    @Pokemon
    Double exclamation mark
    Attention, Trainers!

Tune in to our YouTube channel on Wednesday, August 18, 2021, at 6:00 a.m. PDT for a #PokemonPresents video presentation featuring #PokemonBrilliantDiamond, #PokemonShiningPearl, and #PokemonLegendsArceus!

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    skeldare wrote: »

All Top 30 best selling retail games in Japan last week were Nintendo Switch titles, first time a Top 30 is from a single console since at least November 1988, when the Top 30 was Famicom only.

I don’t understand how this is possible.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Pokémon
    @Pokemon
    Double exclamation mark
    Attention, Trainers!

Tune in to our YouTube channel on Wednesday, August 18, 2021, at 6:00 a.m. PDT for a #PokemonPresents video presentation featuring #PokemonBrilliantDiamond, #PokemonShiningPearl, and #PokemonLegendsArceus!

Please, for the love of God, show off freaking Detective Pikachu for Switch this time... it's been like over a year since you announced this... I still don't even know if it includes the original game + new content or if it's just a straight up sequel...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Pokémon
    @Pokemon
    Double exclamation mark
    Attention, Trainers!

I know it'll never happen and this will probably end up being for the currently known games and other non game related Pokemon things, but would it kill them to make a new Pokemon Pinball game on Switch?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Elki wrote: »

Nintendo games having very long tails on sales, some of the major Western franchises not being popular, and just I guess the timing of what's come out recently?

The actual top selling game on the list is Minecraft... on Switch.

I'm assuming the other major factor is this is probably physical sales. Edit: And the comments on the tweet bring another good point about portable gaming being bigger, and well... there's no competition outside of mobile games (which aren't going to be part of the dataset) for Switch there.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Ya'll missing the point, which is that playstation is moribund in Japan. It's really more about the utter collapse of TV-bound consoles there, and Nintendo likely picking up most of those people still too old-fashioned to just get on with the mobile market like most of the country.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Ya'll missing the point, which is that playstation is moribund in Japan. It's really more about the utter collapse of TV-bound consoles there, and Nintendo likely picking up most of those people still too old-fashioned to just get on with the mobile market like most of the country.

Yeah that was my first thought. No Xbox games, sure, but damn PS 4/5 too huh?

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular

fall guys being on that list is telling of what is going on. Just, nothing that week.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Nintendo games having very long tails on sales, some of the major Western franchises not being popular, and just I guess the timing of what's come out recently?

I'm assuming the other major factor is this is probably physical sales. Edit: And the comments on the tweet bring another good point about portable gaming being bigger, and well... there's no competition outside of mobile games (which aren't going to be part of the dataset) for Switch there.

Poor souls.

Minecraft on Switch is so bad that even my kids would rather play it on GPU-less PC's than on the Switch anymore. :rotate:

It's fine for just basic playing, but as soon as you want to do anything creative or that pushes the processes, boy howdy it's a mess. Not being able to really back up your worlds very easily (that I am aware of anyway, with the cloud saving it seems it's all or nothing) made my kids lose more than a couple worlds that would crash the Switch on loading.

Anyway, that tweet bugs me simply because it says "since at least 1988 when..." That is not a statement where "at least" makes any sense. If that was the last time one console had all slots, then it isn't at least, it is. :lol:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Poor souls.

Minecraft on Switch is so bad that even my kids would rather play it on GPU-less PC's than on the Switch anymore. :rotate:

It's fine for just basic playing, but as soon as you want to do anything creative or that pushes the processes, boy howdy it's a mess. Not being able to really back up your worlds very easily (that I am aware of anyway, with the cloud saving it seems it's all or nothing) made my kids lose more than a couple worlds that would crash the Switch on loading.

Anyway, that tweet bugs me simply because it says "since at least 1988 when..." That is not a statement where "at least" makes any sense. If that was the last time one console had all slots, then it isn't at least, it is. :lol:

Perhaps it could be even further back, but they don't have records?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Poor souls.

Perhaps it could be even further back, but they don't have records?

But if they have records of it happening in 1988, that would be the last time, so the statement would stand without the "at least". Whether or not it happened prior, doesn't change the fact that 1988 would have been the last time it happened.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Seeing Shin Megami Tensei V at number 5 either means that this particular SMT has more hype behind it than usual or that there's just not a whole lot of upcoming titles people are interested in.

• Options
    Seeing Shin Megami Tensei V at number 5 either means that this particular SMT has more hype behind it than usual or that there's just not a whole lot of upcoming titles people are interested in.

JRPG players tend toward wanting physical releases when they're available, and of the upcoming Switch titles that one's at least coming this year. It makes sense.