As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Marvel's The Avengers] Officially sunset as of 2023, goodbye true believers

• McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    It's a shame because they did a surprisingly good job of structuring controls that could apply to multiple superheroes regarding melee and range. Also the sound department killed it. Cap's shield and Thor's hammer have that oomph.

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Combat itself is pretty good, yeah. Aside from off-screen rocket juggle and the camera angle being generally a pain in the ass. But yeah, the heroes generally all play very well and have a satisfying amount of heft to their abilities.

All except Hulk. I still think Hulk sucks and doesn't feel good to play. His whole kit feels wrong.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    Combat itself is pretty good, yeah. Aside from off-screen rocket juggle and the camera angle being generally a pain in the ass. But yeah, the heroes generally all play very well and have a satisfying amount of heft to their abilities.

All except Hulk. I still think Hulk sucks and doesn't feel good to play. His whole kit feels wrong.

Making his invulnerability an active "block" move instead of passive was a miscalculation.

That said, they included my favorite captain america move from the winter soldier. He runs the fuck up at some merc and kicks him at the deck wall. Dude practically folds in half as he goes over:

35 seconds in
    https://youtu.be/svi4S_rHChw

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Previews are coming out mostly concentrating on Black Panther and a little bit of Wakanda, probably some spoilers if you want to go in totally blind but they only got to play about 90 minutes or so and only the first 2 missions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTKr_nkqQxw

BP himself looks like he'll be a fun hero to play, it also seems like they're stepping up their level design a little with some better stuff to do in Wakanda. It does sound like the expansion itself doesn't come with some of the much needed endgame content they've announced (including the gear cap update and another OLT), which just highlights the importance that they shouldn't sit on a roadmap for what's coming after Wakanda. Like is that stuff coming a month after Wakanda (arguably fine) or early 2022 (which would suck a lot).

But it does look like it's good new content for a game that needs more content direly, so I'm pretty excited to give BP a spin.

Also in Forbes preview they reconfirmed that Spider-Man is definitely coming this year. At this point I'd guess he's going to drop around the same time as the new movie. But hey, some news is good.

Kyanilis on
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Previews are coming out mostly concentrating on Black Panther and a little bit of Wakanda, probably some spoilers if you want to go in totally blind but they only got to play about 90 minutes or so and only the first 2 missions:

BP himself looks like he'll be a fun hero to play, it also seems like they're stepping up their level design a little with some better stuff to do in Wakanda. It does sound like the expansion itself doesn't come with some of the much needed endgame content they've announced (including the gear cap update and another OLT), which just highlights the importance that they shouldn't sit on a roadmap for what's coming after Wakanda. Like is that stuff coming a month after Wakanda (arguably fine) or early 2022 (which would suck a lot).

But it does look like it's good new content for a game that needs more content direly, so I'm pretty excited to give BP a spin.

Also in Forbes preview they reconfirmed that Spider-Man is definitely coming this year. At this point I'd guess he's going to drop around the same time as the new movie. But hey, some news is good.

Despite what I said above about their combat, their traversal does not lend itself to spiderman who requires a dedicated focus on that, given that everyone, myself included, has compared subsequent games to something from 20 years ago

McRhyno wrote: »

Despite what I said above about their combat, their traversal does not lend itself to spiderman who requires a dedicated focus on that, given that everyone, myself included, has compared subsequent games to something from 20 years ago

Oh yeah, if Spider-Man's swinging is just Kamala's or Black Widow's swinging, oooooof. Part of me thinks it will be and will be disappointed, but hopefully they put a little effort into it and improve that traversal because you're right, it kinda sucks.

I don't expect Spider-Man PS4 levels of traversal, the game just won't feel as good as a dedicated game obviously, but hopefully they improve their current swinging traversal with his release.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Tbh id just ask Insomniac to borrow their controls, but that would make Spidey the best character in the game by default so..

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah, a character not being locked into godawful animation priority would be OP as fuck in this game

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Jesus the outfits for Black Panther are outstanding

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular

I can’t tell from text if there’s sarcasm attached to this post.

Given the other skins in the game are all underwhelming, I’m assuming that this statement is dripping with sarcasm.

Lucascraft wrote: »

I can’t tell from text if there’s sarcasm attached to this post.

Given the other skins in the game are all underwhelming, I’m assuming that this statement is dripping with sarcasm.

no, they are all really awesome.

significantly better then all the other characters

These are the ones on the challenge card (not my picture stolen from reddit)

h5ovho1g0yh71.png

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    1, 2, and 4 have gigantic necks. It really throws me off... but it could just be because I'm staring at them lol

urahonky on
    Not gonna lie, Kratos as Black Panther is pretty dope casting

Not gonna lie, Kratos as Black Panther is pretty dope casting

The fact that they sound nothing alike really speaks to Chris Judge's abilities. His normal voice is very deep and much closer to Kratos but dang he does a stellar job as T'Challa in this.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Did they add cheeves for this? I know it’s dumb but I like it when addons have more achievements but they traditionally haven’t done that with this game

Also are the bad guys new or more robots

Prohass wrote: »
    Did they add cheeves for this? I know it’s dumb but I like it when addons have more achievements but they traditionally haven’t done that with this game

Also are the bad guys new or more robots

Don't think so with achievements.

We're still dealing with AIM a bit so there's still robots around but they added new Klaw faction enemies who are human and have unique mechanics. Also a couple robot spiders.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    As always with Avengers, 1 step forward and 2 or more steps back. A few new debuffs that make the screen complete unreadable so that it's hard to find the SUPER small enemy that does the debuff, which you seem to have to hit with a thrown weapon.
    And the hero reward track for Black Panther now requires "activating" to receive MOST of the interesting rewards instead of earning them from playing. Which costs tokens so it's basically a single character battlepass. So you still earn them from paying, but after buying/activating the challenge track.

Aside from that, Wakana is a nice change of pace, visually, and BP is a lot of fun to play. I think they do a great job making similar characters play different. He's got some nice moves that are a blast to use. I especially love his leaping move where he latches onto enemies and claws them up.

vamen on
    vamen wrote: »
    As always with Avengers, 1 step forward and 2 or more steps back. A few new debuffs that make the screen complete unreadable so that it's hard to find the SUPER small enemy that does the debuff, which you seem to have to hit with a thrown weapon.
    And the hero reward track for Black Panther now requires "activating" to receive MOST of the interesting rewards instead of earning them from playing. Which costs tokens so it's basically a single character battlepass. So you still earn them from paying, but after buying/activating the challenge track.

Aside from that, Wakana is a nice change of pace, visually, and BP is a lot of fun to play. I think they do a great job making similar characters play different. He's got some nice moves that are a blast to use. I especially love his leaping move where he latches onto enemies and claws them up.

The activated challenge cards was always the intention for those, you just got the original 6 "free". Kate and Clint you have to activate as well to get all their rewards.

Man I forgot this thing was 120 gigs, and Microsoft servers have decided to be slow for me today

The activated challenge cards was always the intention for those, you just got the original 6 "free". Kate and Clint you have to activate as well to get all their rewards.

Ahh...I don't love that. I get the need to monetize but ouch. Ah well.

Well the slightly good news is that all activated challenge cards give back 1300 credits, including the 6 you got with launch. Technically speaking if you make a habit of maxing them out and not spending those credits on other outfits you never need to actually pay money for the rest.

Yeah, just sink 20 hours into each character and it's free

• VikingViking Registered User regular

each of the characters Challenge Cards costs 1000 credits to unlock, and contains 1400 credits as rewards spread within.
    you do not need to give them any more money. just level up other characters.
    Only Kate, Hawkeye and Black Panther will require unlocking so far. the original 6 are freebies"

the marketplace costumes run off the same currency though so you have to decide if its worth sacrificing the points on those instead.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

If you complete a challenge card you get enough credits to unlock one. So it sucks, but isn't the worst.

Ah well all of that isn't too bad.

Man it’s actually 140gig, damn this game is huge

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Man, this game still just...does not feel very good to play. Wakanda looks really nice, at least.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    edited August 2021
    Really? I like the feeling of the combat. Tho there is that delay you get with all coop based games, they never feel as good as single player only games because all the calculations have to be done for a multiplayer setting in the code even if you’re playing solo. But aside from that I really like the combat and movement. For me it’s just the general free to play framing that lets it down

Prohass on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Really? I like the feeling of the combat. Tho there is that delay you get with all coop based games, they never feel as good as single player only games because all the calculations have to be done for a multiplayer setting in the code even if you’re playing solo. But aside from that I really like the combat and movement. For me it’s just the general free to play framing that lets it down

I never liked the way the dodging felt in this game, or how light attack doesn't move you towards the enemy like it does in Batman and Spiderman. It always feels bad to me.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    edited August 2021
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I never liked the way the dodging felt in this game, or how light attack doesn't move you towards the enemy like it does in Batman and Spiderman. It always feels bad to me.

The dodging and especially the 'leap over shielded enemy' move I always find very wonky, the latter being especially unreliable. Overall I like how the combat feels but it definitely has some issues I don't love, though most of that is more how the enemies are designed rather than the movesets.

vamen on
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    I've been playing this for a bit recently, mostly because it's the only game I know that let's me play as Kate Bishop.

Not a fan of most costumes/skins in the game (though Kate has the best. Then again I'm a comic book nerd, so I'll always been drawn to those that stick more closely to the comics). Also don't really like the base Black Panther in this game and most of the variants; Kirby's design is sleek and streamlined, the Texeira version adds a bit of gold accents to it but remained very sleek as well and Stelfreeze version is just Kirby with the vibranium glowing up during certain moves, but the game versions all are littered with multiple different textures and pads and markings to it. I wish there was at least one version that stuck more to the comics. This is a me-problem and not a problem I have with just the Avengers designs; Injustice and the Marvel movies also seem to have these needs to over-design things. At least they didn't give him giant shoulder pads.

I got my ass handed to me in the campaign though, not used to playing a level 1 anymore, especially against unfamiliar foes, so I have leveled him a bit in other missions first. Second try tonight.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
    Im willing to admit maybe its just me but I cant gel with BP's playstyle his moves just never seem to work. His intristic has such a small window for the block to work I end up maybe nailing it 10% of the time so im always wasting meter and his pounce either just bounces off enemies or I get blindsided from a different enemy cause im mid animation and cant jump off.

His daggers seem totally useless unless you are hitting switches

That they added more switch and pressure plate puzzles in the game is my biggest disappointment with the new DLC =p.

I found his daggers very handy after one update for one of the bosses, but I don't use them much otherwise. Maybe the debuff they do is big enough to warrant it, I've not really tested.

So on the whole I think WfW adds more of the "good" type of content that they're good at: More environments, more story, a new character, some new fights. I like BP so far, especially once you start unlocking some abilities. His intrinsic feels more technical in nature, and especially early on it's real tough to build, but then you get specializations that let it build a little on every melee hit and suddenly percussive blasts aren't impossible to get out.

Some of the mixed stuff I think is that some of the new enemies (namely the Sonic based ones) are just terrible to fight and not because they're hard but because the Sonic effect is nauseating. The UI update is a step in the right direction but doesn't get everything right, it's now somehow harder to dismantle things and I don't think I'll ever understand why there's an "Equip" and a "Manage" section to gear.

Unfortunately and somewhat expectedly, It doesn't really address any problems with the endgame. The grind is still there and still not exciting. The expansion doesn't really improve on gear much, gear is definitely "better" than launch gear but I don't think they've figured it out yet.

Anyway, I like it overall and hey, 4+ more hours of what they do well? I'm ok with that knowing that I don't go into the game to grind out to max out characters. So the expansion is definitely "More Avengers". If you were expecting a 2.0 that revamped things you didn't like? This ain't that.

Gonna be an interesting couple weeks waiting on them to reveal what might be next, hopefully they keep up the monthly updates (if small) at least.

Agreed with all of your statements. The sonic attacks and whatever that other one is that the little bots do that make the game complete impossible to see are awful. There's nothing fun about that mechanic, to me. The bots especially are annoying because they just stay RIGHT on you and it's hard to kill them with anything but a dagger, but they are so small that that isn't easy either, especially when your screen is just a blur of weird effects.

I like the compact UI screen a lot but I, too, found the whole 'equip' vs 'manage' very unintuitive at first. It also took me a moment to realize you can't mark stuff to deconstruct across the menus, you can only do it on the specific part you're on at the time, which I found to be a bummer.

edited August 2021
    I’m so confused by the sonic thing. I’m just starting out and it’s like “enemies will have this effect so what you need to do is this effect”

And I’m like it’s been 6 months since I’ve played this tell me the fucking buttons. Like what do you have to do when they get that red glow?

And yeah I know games need to telegraph shit to players but I’m so sick of glowy effects. It’s like hey do you like detailed character models? Too bad here’s a red blob to fight.

So many games do this and it’s so annoying

And who’s bright idea was it to fill the levels with falls into damage pits and then have the best attack be a lunge that sends you flying in a direction

Also they changed the inventory from last time and I hate it. Like I’m sure it’s better or something but I just hate when you get used to something and it changes and it’s like yeah maybe it’s better but it’s not better than what I was used to

I used to be able to hover over all my gear and dismantle and look it as I went, now you have to go into extra steps to see each section of your gear? Am I wrong in thinking this is way worse? Like I have to zoom in and out of the sections of my gear rather than just being able to hover over them and manage all on the front page

Prohass on
    edited August 2021
    Even when I’m enjoying this game I’m thinking about what could of been, all the problems I think actually stem from making it online coop, which is part of the free to play marketplace push more broadly. Like animations that don’t link up, combat and movement that has this contrast between high fidelity but also basic jank, it’s all because the enemies need to be able to react to multiple damage sources from players over a connection, and so you can never produce the immediacy of something like ps4 Spider-Man’s combat, where you press a button and the enemy is impacted in a satisfying way. Everything feels like punching pillows absorbing into their hp bars

And then everything else that’s wrong kind of flows from this structure, you don’t feel like this is your game, you feel like you’re kind of investing in a server side experience, from collectables to your punches connecting, it all feels like there’s calculations going on behind the scenes that prioritise themselves over the actual engagement and immediacy of the experience

Like no amount of production money and quality of the team working on a game can fight against that fundamental feeling that this is an online coop brawler, and so everything feels driven by that. It can’t reach proper heights because of this initial hurdle

It all feels like that while the surroundings are great, that moment when a punch connects to an enemy you get the sensation of running against glass, like it’s not really happening, all due to it having to potentially calculate multiplayer components and that kind of rollback sensation

Prohass on
    Man, that final fight in the new DLC is terrible. 90% of the time the screen was covered in Vaseline and the last 10% of health took as long as the rest of the battle for some reason. I thought I was bugged at first because it didn't seem to be moving.

I am also finding BP's challenge card stuff VERY obnoxious. Maybe it will be less so when I unlock more skills but so far the ones that require intrinsic stuff are tedious.

Man just rage quit and uninstalled. I actually really enjoyed the main game but there’s something about the combat in black panther that is just absurdly unfun and terrible. Like first off I’m bad at it but that’s understandable cos I haven’t played in a while, but this expansion is full of red glowy enemies that you can’t really tell clearly how to attack, tiny little flying things that cause your screen to blur and are so small I literally had no idea you could damage them because I thought they were just visual representations of buffs, and just loads of areas with falls that take almost all your health.

I didn’t even bother finish the story, which was pretty bad, because I just got so sick of the combat, it took something that was flawed but enjoyable for me and turned it into a frustrating visual mess. Like yeah it likely gets better when you unlock all your abilities, which is a whole other reason why this is so ridiculous.

Like everyone else is saying this dlc is decent, but for me the previous Hawkeye ones at least didn’t actively make me hate the game in a way that felt new to me.

Like just dying to god knows what and being knocked around, constantly having moves not connect, or not knowing how to do the exact move you need to do. It turned up all the games smaller problems with combat and made them obnoxiously front and center