As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] Mega Man Custom: GAME OVER Wily Victory

1333435363739»

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Oh this is over! Great job to my mafia bros!

And yeah doing public analysis is always helpful, I always come across suspicious because of not posting enough (disregard the fact that I was actually mafia this time).

I originally landed on Vice Man from a robot mafia joke in the discord - specifically thought it'd be funny to just be Clamps from futurama and pretend that wasn't at all suspicious - then thought of the pun, and like a week later realized the spelling was wrong. I'm just happy my mrpaku gambit paid off helped waste a day of village votes

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    I think type deduction was still very much doable, but it depends on the target not reporting when they've been hit by an attack they're strong against.
    Letting other villagers know what charge/normal/quick/AoE types have hit you is pretty important after all.

Whether that's grokable before the end of a single game, when it's not known that attacks that are ineffective don't do any damage, I'm not sure.

If you have done as Gizzy did you'll see we'd worked out an ok type-deduction scheme and ditched it in favor of blast-bots.
    I don't understand your post

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Was i the only fire type quick attack? I agree that fire wasn’t as represented as you’d figure.

• GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    The rest of these I’ll PM folks as and when I get time, but I feel I owe a well designed one to @Green

i8j16bx37ooj.jpeg

PHOTOSYNTHESIS MAN!

!!!

This is well worth getting Day 1'd. Thank you! :D

• GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Also, getting daily updates as to Phalla goings-on from @MamaWolf was pretty entertaining

"I'm not dead? How am I not dead?!"

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I went guts because I chose the name first - Mr Wiggles Belly Jiggles, and thought having a gut was fitting

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Auralynx wrote: »
    I think type deduction was still very much doable, but it depends on the target not reporting when they've been hit by an attack they're strong against.
    Letting other villagers know what charge/normal/quick/AoE types have hit you is pretty important after all.

Whether that's grokable before the end of a single game, when it's not known that attacks that are ineffective don't do any damage, I'm not sure.

If you have done as Gizzy did you'll see we'd worked out an ok type-deduction scheme and ditched it in favor of blast-bots.
    I don't understand your post

He means if you go back and read the mafia discord you’ll see where they worked out stuff etc

Gizzy on
    Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »
    I went guts because I chose the name first - Mr Wiggles Belly Jiggles, and thought having a gut was fitting
    I also went guys because of my name Wolf Wrathhound

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
    edited August 2021
    Hit me up if I didn’t get you. I know I’ve missed off FE-26 and Bender, but one I’ve drawn before under different context and we all know Bender.

ypy5tqkelwq3.jpeg

THISTLE MAN! ICE CUBE MAN! BOX MAN! STORM MAN! MR. WIGGLES!!!

RELAXERMANDLX! RIPPLE MAN! MAN-O-WAR MAN! BROBOT! JETSTREAM HERON!!!

SWARM MAN! ENDOCRINE MAN! METEOR MAN! ORIGAMI MAN! WENDEL!!!

FLESH MAN! HARDY-BOOOOOOOYYY!!!!!

Endless_Serpents on
    edited August 2021
    what about Free Hugs Man :cry:
    (Otherwise these are pretty cool)

discrider on
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I believe I'm able to offer an official designation of 'Fabulous!' to this artwork.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906

I cannot possibly top your art, nor would I wish to stifle your self expression. But also I just forgot, it was an octopus, right?

I cannot possibly top your art, nor would I wish to stifle your self expression. But also I just forgot, it was an octopus, right?

Nah he just had eight blue arms under the boat

edited August 2021

Nah he just had eight blue arms under the boat

lfmq8n1efrzg.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
    Well yeah. But attached to a body :P

6huttgff5rc6.jpeg

edited August 2021
    Brilliant
    Magnificent even

discrider on
    Oh @kime

You were innocent, right?

s59pw2v25bty.jpeg

INNOCENT MAN!!!

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    @Endless_Serpents those are fantastic, really capture the charm of the early days of the series!

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Also, I realize I missed a golden opportunity with this game. Instead of Meteor Man, I should've been Cabinet Man!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M92VTRfvdwY

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i really love all the drawings!
    i worked the art into an avatar.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Host Notes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkVwuWH-woA&ab_channel=TheEmbracedOne

I think this came about through talking about Megaman with @MrBlarney but I don't know how that started. Initially I wanted some silly interactions like quick man the village vig getting killed when flashman activated his power. Bubble man being a reverse seer because who would ever pretend to be bubble man. MrBlarney had the idea to go full on battle game with a choose your own robot. There was a bit of initial planning but then other people were going to go. Eventually it looked like maybe other people weren't going to go so we had a final push to get things ready. I used my finest pain skills to make an elemental strength table. Upon seeing this horror, MrBlarney made the nice graphics you got to enjoy. (I did do the chalk on the form with my kids).

Unfortunately the week I decided to start had a bunch of unforeseen issues and I had a lot of trouble with timely narration. I know some people are barely able to play because of work schedules and time zones and I felt very badly about cheating these people out of some of their limited playtime. This was all complicated of course by managing all the attacks and shields and elemental impacts manually. Luckily I played around with getting google sheets to do it for me for a long time before giving up and doing it on my notepad. I feel like I have a five year cycle where I run a complicated battle game, have to do a bunch of math and note taking on an actual notepad, swear to never do something so complicated again, and then do something even harder.

Sigil>Space Pirates>Megaman Custom

At least there weren't 50 players this time.

As MrBlarney posted in the stats above, defensive powers were very very popular, including the under-performing repair. On the positive side, the village had very little village on village kills. On the negative they had almost no village on mafia damage.

03767zwbalyp.png

To talk about the actual game for a change, this game was another game where the seer is quickly killed off continuing the trend. SeGaTai day 2 here, Hollow Knight was Day 3 for Invictus, Final Fantasy 1 was day one for discrider. I didn't make a straight Vig or guard since everyone could be a vig and my god we didn't need anymore guards. To everyone on the village feeling bad about their performance, I think the village did more analysis then the average, especially at the end of the game. The mafia sacrificed people to have great vote records. The village did a lot of great analysis, but the mafia's credentials were too good in this game. Perhaps more scrutiny will happen in the future. Again I think discord is huge for mafia engagement. One trap the village fell into was softnetwork leaking to mafia. People tend to trust whoever they are talking to over people they are not talking to even if evidence is against their friends.

I really enjoyed seeing everyone's robot names, and writing narration for them all. I'm glad people seemed to enjoy the narration. The positive feedback is very nice to get.

I probably meant to say some other stuff but have forgotten.

Let me know if there are any questions or things you especially liked or hated.

Looks like we are going to have a good season for phalla heading into fall, I know MrBlarney is working on something and I might potentially get a game out that I started in January 2012 this fall. Crazy times.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Yeah no, I think this game needed a straight vig.
    Something similar to the Mafia kill that didn't take reflected damage.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    omg we had a seer!? SeGaTai I blame you for everything

I wanna reiterate again 38th that the narrations had me for-reals giggling, loved 'em.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Segatai seered me, then died before anything else could be done. :lol:

OrokosPA.png
    As for seers dying quickly, I take no responsibility for dying quickly if I'm a special.
    Not dying quickly is too suspect.

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Host Notes:

I think this came about through talking about Megaman with @MrBlarney but I don't know how that started. Initially I wanted some silly interactions like quick man the village vig getting killed when flashman activated his power. Bubble man being a reverse seer because who would ever pretend to be bubble man. MrBlarney had the idea to go full on battle game with a choose your own robot. There was a bit of initial planning but then other people were going to go. Eventually it looked like maybe other people weren't going to go so we had a final push to get things ready. I used my finest pain skills to make an elemental strength table. Upon seeing this horror, MrBlarney made the nice graphics you got to enjoy. (I did do the chalk on the form with my kids).

I'm pretty sure we were chatting on Steam about the games we were playing before talking you deciding to go about creating another Phalla, but I also don't really know where the Mega Man theme came from. Based on the Discord convos after committing to the project, there's a few additional tidbits perhaps worth noting.
    • Mega Man was originally penciled in as a Serial Killer role, before I convinced you to go with the full battle game route.
    • All Player HPs are, of course the standard 28 HPs to match the theming from the Classic series of games.
    • There was also brief talk of expanding the ability selection at the start of the game to be one offensive ability + one defensive ability, which would have probably shifted the theming to be more on the X series of Mega Man games.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    I picked Repair because I figured everyone would be bloodthirsty, and that Repair would be the least common option.

I feel like I don't understand you all anymore, going for defensive stuff instead of punching harder :D

Steam profile
    edited August 2021
    Eh. I went AoE because everyone was taking defensive stuff and someone needed to try and stop the charge powers.
    Maybe not the best vs spike shields but meh

discrider on
    Wait...
    kime wrote: »
    I picked Repair because I figured everyone would be bloodthirsty, and that Repair would be the least common option.

I feel like I don't understand you all anymore, going for defensive stuff instead of punching harder :D
    38th is gonna feel really silly when it turns out no one, including the mafia, built a robot that can do damage.

We all stare menacingly at each other, holding up our shields and repair wrenches.

Watching

Waiting

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I picked guts and normal attack because I assumed they'd both be the least common choices. I kinda wonder how many guts choosers were in the same boat

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    I thought fire and water would be less common.
    Was surprised by how few metal there were.

edited August 2021
    I thought fire and water would be less common.
    Was surprised by how few metal there were.

Dr. Light does not actually know anything about structural integrity.

Endless_Serpents on
    Wait...

38th is gonna feel really silly when it turns out no one, including the mafia, built a robot that can do damage.

We all stare menacingly at each other, holding up our shields and repair wrenches.

Watching

Waiting

It was a joke ! I didn't think it would actually happen, basically!

Steam profile
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Starting with a second ability would have been great.

Or gaining an ability if you made it to day X.

Bedlam on
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Ah yes! That’s what I was going to mention above. I was going to open things up to pick another ability as the game progresses but I was overwhelmed with the work just to keep it going as is so I never brought it up. That’s one of the hallmarks of mega man, powering up as you go. I think it was the element system that added the extra layer that overwhelmed me.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀