As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Blood Bowl] Triple Skulls Every Time

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Thanks. That's good to hear. I was considering putting bin 10k from the treasury for a keg or a bribe but there's currently only 35k in it.

Edit
    Got the book now. You can do some weird stuff with the mercenary rules. I could take a stunty superstar with pa6 instead of 4 and leader for 30k. Could even put on another agility skill to get to 40k (our league limits stat decreases to no more than 2)

honovere on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Yeah the Death Zone mercenary section is a big crunchy thing unto itself. It seems very... min-max-able. We're not fucking with it at all this season.

edited August 2021
    I'll call him Da Playa Koach.

If I had a halfling model, there would be good puns available, he would be Tom Brandy, or Curly Lambchop.

Looking at the inducements the Waaghdrummer also seems like a fun option, especially against another slow team like orks or dwarves.

honovere on
    Another forge world number, I'm guessing. Doesn't mention it in the article. Shame FW stuff is so damn expensive.

Also chaos has to be the next spike, right? That's two star player previews now who are both chaos aligned and don't officially exist yet.

edited August 2021
    Maybe this has come up before somewhere but I can't find anything about it:

Death zone mercenary stat improvements - it always says that you can increase or decrease any stat by up to 2. So far so good.

Then there's the blocker with the additional bullet point to increase MA by 2 for a discount compared to taking the normal increase option twice, but only for chaos and lizards. Still makes sense.

But then there's the reliable ringer that has the option to increase each MA, AG, PA by 2 but only for elves. These options offer no discounts though compared to taking the normal option twice.

And then similarly there's the big guy where Some teams can incrase pa by 2 without discount and other teams can increase MA by two for actually more than it would cost to increase it twice by 1.

Question then: Is every other race only allowed to improve these stats by 1? Would that then mean that blockers other than lizards can only increase MA by 1? What about the other stats where there aren't two options? It's a bit of a mess.

honovere on
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    ...Also chaos has to be the next spike, right? That's two star player previews now who are both chaos aligned and don't officially exist yet.

Both Scyla and Max Spleenripper are specificially Khornate as well. I'd love to get Khorne/Slaanesh/Tzeentch teams, to compliment Nurgle.

I went Favored of Slaanesh on my Renegades team just for flavor reasons; It'd be great for it to actually mean something.

As for mercenary messiness... yeah I wish I could be of help there. Part of why we skipped it this season was because of all the disagreements I had seen over how to parse the rules for character creation. I'll try to remember to take a deeper look at that section when I can.

edited August 2021
    Brought it up with with our league and for now we're probably ignoring the initial sentence of maximum + or - 2 to each stat and cap it at +/- 1 unless the option for +2 is spelled out. Not having -2 for a stat as an option should also reduce the min maxing. It would be -2 PA 99% of the time otherwise anyway.

Chaos could really use a spike with specific options for the other 3 gods. Currently its all nurgle.

Next Game is against Dark Elves. I'll probably just go with a Stunty superstar with sneaky git and a little side bet as inducements.

honovere on
    Our season finally started, after a long delay due to a coach dealing with extended family drama. In both of my two games so far, I have missed out on a turn 16 touchdown from failing a 2+ roll (a bone head in one, and a rush in the other). Against skaven and norse, respectively. What could have been an amazing (for ogres) W/L/D record of 1-0-1 is instead 0-1-1.

That's Blood Bowl baby

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Just about finished my ogre bb team (except bases).

Is there a point in having the players numbered?

The models make it quite clear who's the runt punter, at least.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    (I don't actually know the rules yet, but from what I hear, I'm not convinced the ogres do so, either. I may get a game tomorrow, perhaps.)

Numbers is mostly important for keeping track of star player points. Who did what during the game

Particularly if you enter into a league, numbers are really useful because players earn their own individual experience and gain their own skills, so you'll need to have a verifiable way of telling who is who. Occasionally you need to roll a random player, too, in which case it can be convenient (though not strictly necessary) to have them numbered 1-16.

Numbering: Gnoblars too, or just ogres?

The potential exists that your gnoblars could earn experience, so even though they're probably the most disposable players in the entire game, it could come in handy.

So far I've had the most success treating gnoblars less as individuals and more as a fluid medium that makes your ogres work better, but I have had a couple nearly do something useful on their own.

I'll give them all some numbers, then. Will post some pictures after.

(But I treat rumors of gnoblars achieving anything as the sort of tall tale you tell newcomers as a prank.)

They can achieve fouls like almost noone else and are very handy at getting thrown or kicked around the pitch, be it for scoring or as missiles against other players

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    (I don't actually know the rules yet, but from what I hear, I'm not convinced the ogres do so, either. I may get a game tomorrow, perhaps.)

The ogres do know the rules though. Collectively, I mean. Each one knows one rule, which is why they’re so confused all the time; they’re trying to figure out whether their rule is relevant.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited August 2021
    Had my second league game against dark elves.

Basically a not that eventful 2:1 grind with both teams not even doing all that much damage except for the last two turns.
    Cage with goblin is 8 squares away from the Endzone. To free it up blorc on one side throws a two die block against a tagging elf. Double both down. RR from brawler. Both down. Turnover. Uh oh.
    Last turn for the dark elves. Blitzer blitzes the goblin in the broken cage. Only knocked down. Ball scatters between two Blorcs in the cage. Rest of the elves try to clog the way to the Endzone.
    Last black orc turn. elf Blitzer gets blocked by blorc on the other cage edge. Off the field, niggling injury. You don't mess with a black orc's favourite pet gobbo. A gobbo from the backfield does a double rush plus dodge into the Endzone after a black orc made some room for him, ready to catch the ball

Question from a guy watching: what was that? Why didn't you just pick up the ball and make a handover to the goblin running into the endzone?... because it's more dramatic This way and not at all because I've
    Blacked out on the at possibility. Sigh.

So I fucked up. Anyway. Another goblin runs into the mess around the ball, picks it up and throws it. 6 squares, short pass. Ball is in the air. Elf runner tried to interfere. Ball goes through, reaches the goblin in the endzone. Successful catch. 2:1. End of game.

Got really lucky there but it also was a super fun and awesome way to end the game, because I basically forgot that black orcs are a rugby team, not a football team.

Also not that much luck with random skills again.

I now hat the following players:
    Black Orc with break tackle
    Black Orc with multiple block
    Goblin with jump up
    Goblin with diving tackle
    And best of all, a goblin with leap.

honovere on
    Those rolls are tough, man. diving tackle and jump up aren't the worst for gobbos, though.

My experience has been that random rolls are super situational. Rolling random Strength skills on my ogres has been fucking great; nearly all the skills they can get are perfectly suitable. Getting multiple block or break tackle on a ST4 guy, though, that's a little painful. Skaven coach in my league rolled randos on his Gutter Runners and got sneaky git and diving tackle. Yikes! I think the Agility table in general is a minefield unless you're rolling for Goblins or something.

edited August 2021
    We've got a Norse player who rolled dodge and defensive for his catcher, kick and wrestle for a lineman, and brawler for a berserker. So it can work out :biggrin:

Yeah, strength is the only table that remotely works for randoms on the black orcs. Break tackle would even be okay on something like a chaos warrior, but on a blorc...
    Anyway I'll try to make the most out of multiple block on the line if scrimmage in the upcoming games against Skaven, goblins, and goblins.

On the upside I made bank last game. 85k due to good fan rolls and running a little sidebet of 10k inducement gold giving me.
    In the downside my team is no 200k more expensive than m upcoming opponents. I hope none of them realizes how mean a mercenary with dirty player (+2) is.

honovere on
    Ogre season continues apace; Rolling three dice all the time is fun, being a pack of big roundbois is fun, and not having to care even a single bit about what happens to a Gnoblar is fun (my last game saw a Gnoblar roll three dice uphill against a Blitzer and get a KO, which... god that was good [that Gnoblar died later that game]) but I'm honestly pretty excited for the season to end so I can switch to a roster with greater positional variety. I'm still hoping that I just hardcore fall in love with these guys because I think a season 2 would be pretty killer with leveled up Ogres, but so far I'm not seeing myself make that decision.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Just out of idle interest as someone that doesn’t play, could you make a team where every player is a different race, or are they in sets?

Just out of idle interest as someone that doesn’t play, could you make a team where every player is a different race, or are they in sets?

Each team has a strict list of positions that are allowed. There are a wide variety of teams, and many of them feature players of different races, but you can't ala carte produce your own invented team with whatever positions/races you want.

For example: there are Goblin teams, and they're a mix of weird Goblin players, with the additional feature that they're allowed to take a couple of Trolls. There are Skaven teams, too. There's another team which features Goblins and Skaven, called Underworld Alliance, and it has a couple of unique features of its own.

The latest Blood Bowl video game adaptation that was released (not the upcoming one) has a mode where you can take positons from different teams in whatever mix you want, but I don't know how popular it is.

That said, between Star Players being available to many more teams than they used to be and the Death Zone advanced Mercenaries rules, you can still have a lot of variety in a team if you are down on TV at the start of a game. Or are flush with cash and feel like burning a couple hundred K before your players bet it all on the snail races or something.

Chaos Renegades fit the bill the most. Their base players are human, but they can take a goblin, a skaven, an ork, a dark elf, a minotaur, a troll, and an ogre.

Yeah, the mixed teams are interesting n I kinda want to try an Old World Alliance team, though they really make me wish there was a way to unlearn traits. Animosity on the thrower is just …

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    You also have the midenheim maulers, and the underworld creepers who are both also mixed teams.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

c1jq9hmku4d6.jpeg
    They may be stupid, they may be ugly, but at least their coach doesn't know the rules.

Back row, left to right: Chubby Hubby, Thick Mint, Punch Line
    Front row, l2r: Super Fudge Chunk, Boom Chocolatta, Strawberry Topped Tart
    Gnoblar: Not worth the dignity of a name.

Theme naming:
    They're all (including the team) named after Ben & Jerry's ice cream flavors, the team colors are B&J logo colors, and the team logo is based on the B&J logo (same font, shape, and colors).

Big Rock Candy Mountain is the legendary land of milk and honey in hobo lore.

It's important that you know I've had Big Rock Candy Mountain stuck in my head for hours now because of this post.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    I really want ice cream now.

edited September 2021
    Welp, my ball-carrying ogre with break tackle and pro pissed off our sponsor so I'm back down to just over 1 milly TV near the end of the season. My next match will likely net me a stupid amount of petty cash, but I don't have high hopes for a victory.

We only have 2 wins in the book, but bonus league points from casualties and shut-outs have made the team a potential playoff contender, which is hilarious.

Mrs. Sloth, on the other hand, has just spooled into high gear with her Chaos team, after the traditional slow Chaos start. Her last match against Skaven ended with a full team on her side and a whopping two ratmen trying to contest. It was hard to watch such a tragedy of a game.

Edit: a line actually spoken during this chaos/skaven game: "hey, this is the first time I haven't broken armor this game! Oh, actually, that guy has claws. Does 8 break with claws?"

BloodySloth on
    Some games the dice are just brutal. I hope the Skaven coach took it well.

New Wilhelm Chaney:
    46WjxF4v3Orpgw8e.jpg

I think maybe the way the fur is painted makes h look worse than he is. Also GW traditionally chooses the worst angle for their promo pics.

The skaven coach in our league might be the most good natured of the whole bunch, so he was able to shrug it off pretty well, even though it was an understandably rough time.

I like the Wilhelm, although, yet again, he's been around in this edition long enough for me to have already started building a custom job for him. I like how he matches his artwork in the necromantic spike. Definitely agree that the photo doesn't seem to be doing any favors. An increasing number of their figures just don't photograph well and look a lot better in the flesh where you can appreciate the model's 3D qualities.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well the Dark elf pitch is up this weekend for order so that's another pitch
    Still keep getting outbid on the templates. I just need to get a team for my brother and we have another game to play on the weekends

edited September 2021
    I wouldn't get too hung up about the templates. "interception" is a nice little no frills app for throwing and pass interference. Throw in and deviation templates can easily proxied with a piece of paper I think.

As far as I can tell the passing template is a love it or hate it thing with players. quite a few of my opponents have insisted to not use it while a few others insisted on using it.

honovere on
    Our league's resident Skaven player is going to demolish the league this season. Three games in he's at 10:0 touchdowns.

I hope the GenCon reveal for BB is at least 1 new team and a roadmap like last season going forward with 1 team per quarter.

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    10 touch downs? I'd love to watch one of his games, sounds wild.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    It’s skaven you are scoring 2-3 times a game easy if you are aggressive and don’t have your team die . So has there been any new news on bb3 improvements?