As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So Paypal's terrible.

ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morningLoserdomRegistered User regular
edited August 2021 in Help / Advice Forum
Obviously, right? In this specific case, they are no longer allowing me to just skip the "add your mobile phone number to your account for extra security" thing. I have to add it.

I am not naïve. I know that regardless of how recalcitrant I am about adding it to various online accounts, if data companies want my mobile phone number, they have it.

The problem is that I do not have a mobile phone number.

I have a mobile phone, but it's a piece of shit hand-me-down from 2014 I use entirely as an MP3 player, and I don't have cell service with it. Checked online, and with their support Twitter account, and was directed to call in to the actual customer support line. I called in...and was told I need a mobile phone number. No other option. I eventually got an explanation that it is definitely a new security feature they've started forcing since June. It's super secure! I can't get my money.

I have to either buy a cheap-ass pay-as-you-go phone or the cheapest cell service I can find, neither of which I want or need (though, to be clear, another reason I have a garbage phone with no cell service is I am also poor), all in order to give the number to a third party for "security", who will then despite what their terms of service say almost certainly turn around and sell it to fourth, fifth, and Nth parties (and spreading my number around I am certain will do wonders for my account's security), or they're just going to hold my money hostage, forever.

Anyway. Anyone know any other possible options? Preferably free or super-inexpensive ones, and ones that don't require me to be able to get into my account just one more time, because that is very much not an option right now?

Shadowen on

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    There's Google Voice, but PayPal does use your phone to send you SMS about transactions made on your account. I don't know if Google Voice can handle SMS so you'll have to check.

Otherwise it's free and doesn't require a physical phone.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Google voice can do SMS so that is probably the best option. It is fairly quick to set-up as well.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    There's Google Voice, but PayPal does use your phone to send you SMS about transactions made on your account. I don't know if Google Voice can handle SMS so you'll have to check.

Otherwise it's free and doesn't require a physical phone.

If they just needs it for the few minutes it will take to transfer all the money out of PayGarbage then maybe that's sufficient.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    If you're going to kill the PayPal account, maybe ask a friend if you can borrow their phone to do it?

Don't do this if you plan on keeping the account

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Google Voice sounds like a great idea but it is not (as far as I can tell) available outside the US (sorry should have mentioned that part). Given I would never be using the number for anything but Paypal (assuming I do not, indeed, close the account), perhaps a similar service like TextNow? Anyone have experience with that or something like it?

• Options
    I have zero idea if this will work because I'm just farting around with Google.

https://www.virtualphone.com/uk-phone-number

• Options
    edited August 2021
    I'm not sure how well it will work, but you can also use a cheap VPN to get a Google Voice number. Which seems like it'll be a solution for your intended use case.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Sadly, using a cheap (actually free, Opera's got it built in) VPN, I was able to discover that Google Voice still requires an existing US-based phone number. It can be a landline, so I guess that makes it not totally useless (e.g. if you were to need, just thinking out loud, a specifically mobile phone number), but it does make me wonder what the point of Google voice is beyond that.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I use Google Voice specifically as a spam trap or in other situations where I don't want to give out my actual phone number. I disabled call forwarding so any calls to it go directly to voicemail.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Sadly, using a cheap (actually free, Opera's got it built in) VPN, I was able to discover that Google Voice still requires an existing US-based phone number. It can be a landline, so I guess that makes it not totally useless (e.g. if you were to need, just thinking out loud, a specifically mobile phone number), but it does make me wonder what the point of Google voice is beyond that.

Same number ringing multiple devices. My phone's in the other room charging but a call will ring on the PC.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Stupid question but can't you just like...make up a number? Use your area code and first three digits and go crazy?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Stupid question but can't you just like...make up a number? Use your area code and first three digits and go crazy?

No, the reason they want a mobile number is basically 2-factor authentication. They'll text a code to that phone number that must be used to verify that it's you when signing in or withdrawing money or whatever.

It has to be a valid number capable of receiving texts. That said, I believe the number of any trusted friend/family/acquaintance that is willing to help could be provided as long as they are nearby or in contact when OP is signing in and using Paypal to get that money, so that they can relay the code that's texted to them.