As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] Cable Television for the Internet Age

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I've only seen the original Evangelion series and I'm going to go right into watching the new thing.

There's no way in hell that I'm watching a bunch of rehashed nonsense in those other movies. I am chaos.

I was one of those nerds who got gifted the original EVA run on 4 VHS tapes back in like 1996. While I rationally understand where to start if I want to step back in, I can't imagine it's worth the mental anguish. =P

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Watching the original Evangelion on Netflix like 2 years ago though, I cannot fault anyone for looking at the original last episode and going:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhe3vSe-mmw

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    My friends got together and watched all of Evangelion and while I was invited, I had to decline because that shit was just yeah, I'll just Konasuba again thanks.

Nosf on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Along with Dragonball Z, Evangelion was a definitive moment in my youth with animoo, and also a big reason why I noped out of it for so long. Those stupid white ADV VHS tapes? I owned them. The dub was actually good. Still own the soundtrack CDs because the music was always the best part, way before memes were a thing, along with the animation studio that did the Asuka Strikes, DDR episode and the 14th angel episode. But the story is so fake, even for deep thunk animoo stuff. And Shinji is such. a little. bitch. even accounting for the depression themes.

I know the production was troubled (hence like three different studios drawing the episodes, which is why they look distinct), and Rebirth/End of were needed to makes things better, but the side things like the deputy commander's backstory and living through second impact and Toji or even Ritsuko's backstories were way more appealing. My bro Toji, he was the best.

I watched up to the second rebuild so now that it's finally done I'll give a go again. I want to take Hideaki Anno to a gym and get him to lift and work out, sweat out all the depression abloo abloo.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I'm kind of glad to have missed Evangelion when it was new. Robotech might not be the best, but at least it made sense.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I'm kind of glad to have missed Evangelion when it was new. Robotech might not be the best, but at least it made sense.

I would kill for a full-series Macross remake that a) avoids all dumbass tween/teen shit, b) doesn't go neck-deep in painful anime tropes to prove how anime it is, and c) is actually as serious a take on war as the original.

Set it up to run three seasons. First season is the end of the World War into the arrival of the SDF, then the world uniting afterwards and repairing the SDF; we'd get to see some of Rick as a kid with Roy leaving to fight in the war, plus the state of the world before the SDF changes everything. Second season is the SDF stuck in space, getting its footing and fighting its way back to Earth to ultimately help destroy the Zentraedi fleet. Third season is putting the world back together, though maybe this time give us an ending beyond "wait, did they just kill basically everybody left on Earth except like three people, and one of them ran off into the bones of the ruined city in the middle of winter?" to show the Zentraedi and humans building a new future together despite all that had happened.

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    If anybody who has seen the Evangelion series is not watching the Rebuilds because of [reasons], rest assured that's what I thought too.

Then I watched 3.33. Then 3.0+1.0.

Yeah. That was a proper ending.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Brand New Cherry Flavor is worth a watch. It's like The Player but with witches? That's really fuckin' reductive, but I enjoyed it, and Catherine Keener is just an unstoppable force in anything she's in.

Trigger warning for throwing up live kittens...and eyeballs.

Trigger warning for that's not even the weirdest thing involving live kittens.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

These videos are spoilers for the entire original series and End of Evangelion, btw

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Saw the first three episodes of Reservation Dogs. The tv show set in a Oklahoma Rez. It was funny in a bittersweet way and worth the watch.

Its about four teenage natives and their struggle to acquire money to leave their dead end town and go to California. Since there are not a lot of legal jobs, that means hustling and stealing any way they can. Thereby the name of their gang: Reservation Dogs.

Edit: Not relevant.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Man, Sean Lock died today from cancer. A british quiz show staple, this sucks too. Ever since Carr got his hair transplant everything's been less classy in comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHwxioMj8so

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Man, Sean Lock died today from cancer. A british quiz show staple, this sucks too. Ever since Carr got his hair transplant everything's been less classy in comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHwxioMj8so

Really sad news, clips from 9 out of 10 cats do countdown has been a staple on the my YouTube fees for ages, I'll even rewatch clips I've seen because they're so funny. He was great.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Is Aliens on Disney+ the extended cut? I started it and I could've sworn it said 2h17m but now its 2h5m.

It's definitely not got the scenes I was expecting in it.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Is Aliens on Disney+ the extended cut? I started it and I could've sworn it said 2h17m but now its 2h5m.

It's definitely not got the scenes I was expecting in it.

The theatrical cut is 137 minutes long, the director's cut is 157.

• Options
    So it's definitely the theatrical cut. Disney+ letting me down again.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Babylon 5: Grail
    A man comes from Earth seeking the Holy Grail. Also, there's a gangster mindwiping people.

In order to show off his new toy intimidate Jinxo into doing A Crime, an important gangster creates a witness to a murder, as he has "Ambassador Kosh" (Obviously not him to the viewers; the encounter suit is unpowered. The creature is called a Feeder, which is very descriptive of all animals and some plants.) mindwipe an informant. (Who was not under guard, and who hadn't had her testimony recorded already. Very professional work there.) Also, you remember how in the last episode, I pointed out that having people on the station who don't have a job and can't afford to leave is a good way to end up with organized crime? Well, here we have a person (Jinxo) on the station who can't leave (albeit for a weirder reason than normal) and so he had to resort to dealing with organized crime in order to survive. Then the organized crime started pressuring him into crime to pay them back.

Side note: while I haven't compared screen captures to confirm, my first thought when I saw the mindwipe tentacle was that it was one of Londo's dicks again (or that of another Centauri, technically). It doesn't help that these two episodes are adjacent. That definitely gave an odd feel to the scene before the actual nature of the monster was revealed.

Side side note: I just noticed that the HBO Max episode order is different from release order. Internet says it comes from the planned order posted midway through season 1, before the realities of production required moving stuff around. I actually checked this before starting because I vaguely remembered that there was something weird there, but only spot-checked the first bit of season 1. I'll continue using the HBO Max order, but it apparently creates a bit of weirdness here and there where people will refer to things that haven't happened yet. Point is, in the standard episode order there would have been significant time between the two episodes, so this wouldn't have been as obvious.

Getting back to the actual plot, this episode's weird guest is Gajic, a seeker of the Holy Grail from Earth. The Minbari are extremely respectful of him, and the episode is as well, so let's talk about Destiny. In Babylon 5, Destiny appears to be a real force. We've seen actual prophecies, plus whatever's up with Sinclair. From this episode, Gajic and Jinxo have something similar going on as well. Point is, the Minbari's respect seems to have an in-universe logic, not just being "lol aliens don't know this guy's a crackpot".

Gajic gets his pocket picked by Jinxo, who is immediately caught, declared guilty, and sentenced to exile from the station. (Oh, look. They have enough money in the budget to give *him* a one-way ticket.) Jinxo protests that he can't leave the station, and Gajic agrees to take responsibility for him instead. Turns out Jinxo was involved in the construction of Babylon 1-5, and 1-4 exploded while he was away. (Except, of course, for the one which burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp.) Surprisingly, he still got hired for Babylon 5, and now he's convinced that leaving will destroy the station. (And with Destiny being a real force, that's a much more serious concern.)

After talking with some ambassadors, Gajic tells Jinxo how, after the death of his family, he was lacking purpose, then encountered the previous Seeker of the Holy Grail, dying, and took on his purpose. Later, Gajic points out that Jinxo staying on the station because of the curse, even though it puts him in direct conflict with the underworld, shows that he has a noble soul. Meanwhile, Mr Gangster decides that killing a judge is a good followup to his obvious murder of an informant, and orders his minions to kidnap the judge that had ruled on his trial as well as Jinxo. (Look. Security knows you killed the informant, they just can't prove it. Any raid on your base of operations (say, to recover the kidnapped judge) will turn up the creature that's been mindwiping people, and then you're going away for multiple murders. Maybe don't feed people who's kidnapping would result in an immediate full-station alert to your pet. You can only get away with stuff like that if you control the authorities.) Kidnapping the judge worked, but Gajic beats off Jinxo's attempted kidnappers with a stick. The second attempt succeeds in capturing Gajic, though.

After the capture of Gajic, Jinxo finally goes to the authorities, and Mr Gangster's base of operations is suddenly swarming with cops. Mr Gangster and his men that didn't run away decide that getting killed in a shootout is a great idea. Gajic gets shot by Mr Gangster while protecting Jinxo, who was trying to free the judge. Mr Gangster escapes, but the mind-eater gets killed. As Gajic lies dying, Jinxo accepts the search for the Holy Grail as his new purpose. (Signified by him later rejecting the name Jinxo, and returning to his actual name Thomas.)

The weakest element of this episode is, I feel, the mind-eating monster. (The Feeder.) While it does result in some scenes with Londo and the staff while they try to track it down, it doesn't really do anything for the main story, which would have been very similar if Mr Gangster was just going around shooting people. I thought it was about to go somewhere interesting when Gajic started talking to it. The only source that it was an always-evil species was Londo, and the Centauri encountered them while trying to settle the planet they were living on. A version of events where the mind-eating monsters were just defending themselves from the Centauri, and this one had been threatened into cooperating by Mr Gangster would not have needed many changes. But instead, we just got a space monster where the only legitimate response is a hail of energy blasts.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Babylon 5: Grail

Always been a fan of this episode, mostly because I'm a fan of David Warner, and had too often only seen him in roles where he was a bad guy (Tron, Time After Time, Time Bandits), and awesome at that, but here he gets to not be.

He brings a certain gravitas to things that not a lot of actors can pull off.

Also, because it has one of my favorite Ivanova lines of the series.

"No "boom" today, "boom" tomorrow. There's always a "boom" tomorrow. What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here. Boom. Sooner or Later... Boom!"

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2021
    Jinxo is a terrible, terrible actor and having him on screen at the same time as David Warner must have broken several cameras.

Bogart on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I have discovered the gay agenda

It is called Centaur World and it is delightful

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Jinxo is a terrible, terrible actor and having him on screen at the same time as David Warner must have broken several cameras.

Counterpoint: I didn't find his performance bad at all. Jinxo as a character is meant to be a broken man, which was conveyed well. The contrast with David Warner just showed this off. Maybe I just have a higher tolerance for this, but his performance didn't break my immersion at all.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I’m not sure why we don’t have a Ted Lasso thread, but the second season has been fun so far. Hoping they keep it up. This week’s episode was particularly fun.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I’m not sure why we don’t have a Ted Lasso thread, but the second season has been fun so far. Hoping they keep it up. This week’s episode was particularly fun.

Maybe Apple should let me buy I on anything not Apple

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Maybe Apple should let me buy I on anything not Apple

You can? I subbed and watch on Xbox

• Options
    I would really like to watch Ted Lasso, but I also refuse to subscribe to any more services on principle when I already have a hojillion shows to watch on the bazillion services I already subscribe to.

Sorry, Ted.

Also: the theatrical version of Aliens is the superior one, fight me. The extra 20 minutes add nothing but length to a perfectly paced film.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I would really like to watch Ted Lasso, but I also refuse to subscribe to any more services on principle when I already have a hojillion shows to watch on the bazillion services I already subscribe to.

Sorry, Ted.

Also: the theatrical version of Aliens is the superior one, fight me. The extra 20 minutes add nothing but length to a perfectly paced film.

I am waiting for all of season two to be out and then free trialing for a month.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular

Sorry, Ted.

I disagree for 1 or 2 scenes on thecolony.

A lot of the content around the turrets was removed from the theatrical release and the sudden tension to go to the perimeter didn't make sense considering the attack shown were on the on the corridor with the sealed door

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

Sorry, Ted.

Yeah I feel this. Apple definitely doesn’t have the same quantity of content as others. I’ve made an exception for the Lasso, might keep it around for Foundation, but not sure.

The Balkanization of content is truly the dumbest timeline.

• Options
    Me in 2000: "Oh man, Netflix is so cool, this streaming idea is great!"

Me in 2010: "And now everything I can't see on Netflix I can just watch on Amazon Prime, streaming is truly a perfect idea that couldn't possibly go awry!"

Me in 2020: "...oh."

• Options
    Honestly, that template works for the internet in general.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I wanna go back to when Crunchyroll was a piracy site

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Sorry, Ted.

Yeah I feel this. Apple definitely doesn’t have the same quantity of content as others. I’ve made an exception for the Lasso, might keep it around for Foundation, but not sure.

They apparently have turned Foundation into an epic thousand year chess battle between Hari Seldon and endless clones of Cleon, the evil emperor so...not enthused by that.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

Sorry, Ted.

They apparently have turned Foundation into an epic thousand year chess battle between Hari Seldon and endless clones of Cleon, the evil emperor so...not enthused by that.

Hmmm, well, I figure I’ll watch as many as episodes as my last sub-month will allow and go from there.

Thinking I need to switch to HBOmax soon since they’re releasing movies on their platform in a reasonable manner.

• Options
    HBO Max is weirdly good. Like, my usual plan when I can't find anything to watch on a streaming site is to just unsub and pick a different site, but I've been on HBO Max for almost a year now, and there's still plenty of stuff on my to-watch list.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

The two callbacks to Season 1 had me giggling my ass off.
    First was the joke Ted started when Beard wasn't talking to him.

Second was Ted setting a seed, Roy resisting, and then realising what he needed to be. Wasn't as funny as the Wrinkle in Time one (because that one came early enough in S1 it hadn't established what the show was, yet), but was still funny.

I really hope two of the plot seeds from the latest ep are red herrings, or at the very least, disposed of quickly.

1) Nate being jealous or resentful of Roy. Don't want it, especially not as an ongoing thing. If we get a quick "Nate clarifies things to Roy" like we did in S1 with the team roast, fine. Maybe a trip to the docs office for couples counselling. If it drags out though, I'm gonna get tired quick.

2) Really fucking hope the Bantr thing is a red herring. I like Rebecca. I like Ted. I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THEM EITHER AS A COUPLE OR AS A WILL THEY/WON'T THEY. Them being two independent parties is better.

The Higgins romance thing was surprisingly touching.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Me in 2000: "Oh man, Netflix is so cool, this streaming idea is great!"

Me in 2010: "And now everything I can't see on Netflix I can just watch on Amazon Prime, streaming is truly a perfect idea that couldn't possibly go awry!"

Me in 2020: "...oh."

On the other hand it’s never been easier to sub and unsub for limited periods which was never an option with cable. The monthly fee is almost the same as renting a movie on most of the services as well.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I mean I live in a house with 4 roommates and one of the few upsides of that situation is we all get one service and share with the homies. Cracking down on account sharing will be the end of streaming services for the frugal. Disney+ already toes that line with a maximum number of activated devices. Game sharing is also one of the major reasons I play on Xbox, I can even share Game Pass. Without it, I might not even bother.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I wanna go back to when Crunchyroll was a piracy site

I don't, I love getting simultaneous sub releases.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think the extra footage of the colony in Aliens before the infestation is probably unnecessary, but I like the sentry turrets stuff. It's not too long, develops the team dynamic of the characters, and builds the siege-mentality tension as the aliens almost break through.

• Options
    I think on your first viewing the colony footage would be detrimental to the surprise, but on repeat viewings I appreciate it a lot. The theatrical cut also removes the part where Ripley learns her daughter is dead which gives a lot to the Newt relationship.

This discussion has been closed.