As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come talk about the Jaguar, 3DO and Gex in the [Retro Games] Thread

Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
edited November 2021 in Games and Technology
Old Games. Some age like wine, some like milk. Let's talk about all things retro.

First, the consoles. While there are some generation numbers people go by, here are my categories.

Old as Dirt.
c01busbicjog.jpg

These are the ones that you had to hook up with weird adaptors to your old 12" TV with those prongs and two screws in the back of the TV. This generation's leaders would be Odyssey, Atari 2600, Colecovision, and Intellivision. Simple games that mostly were high score chasing and hit or miss arcade ports. For every Yars Revenge that still is fun to play, there are a bunch of Star Raiders that make no sense today. Personal fun fact: I enjoy playing ET and don't think it's even in the top 20 of worst games ever made.

8 Bit Era
9u91euy5dp8q.jpg
j28jlst1bcj8.jpg

Honestly, this is where games start aging well. Games start to have stories, look like their arcade originals, and controller buttons became more plentiful. The leaders were NES and Sega Master System (and maybe the Atari 7800 is part of this group). Highlights might be the start of Mario, Zelda, Megaman, Castlevania, Contra, and whatever your weirdos with Master Systems played...Alf maybe? Personal fun fact: I was once convinced to get Hydlide instead of Zelda because they looked sort of similar on the box and Hyldlide was $10 cheaper.

16 Bit Era
3ggl7d7irz0e.jpg
l6tmrp5sbibc.jpg
z27otdpjz5z8.jpg

This was the big console wars era. Nintendo and Sega just consistently crapped on each other and gamers picked sides and a game named Ballz got made. The three leaders would be SNES, Genesis, and TurboGrafx 16 (and any odd add-ons they stacked underneath them). Highlights were sequels to NES games, Sonic, SNES RPGs, sports games really starting to get closer to the actual sports, and the massive rise of fighting games. Personal fun fact: Might and Magic on the Genesis remains my favorite RPG.

32 Bit Era
zamkx1n4j530.jpg
p5jo6zlzdhlp.jpg
3t8xjpgia01n.jpg

The first true 3D consoles. The leaders were the Nintendo 64, Playstation 1 and Sega Saturn (with Atari sputtering its last breath with the Jaguar). This was really a transitional period, with games hitting 3D for the first time with Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time, new characters like Crash and Rayman emerging, and analog sticks appearing on controllers for the first time since the Atari 5200. Personal fun fact: My then-girlfriend (now wife) got fired from a temp job because we skipped work to rent an N64 and Mario on launch weekend.

Beyond: The PS2, Gamecube, Dreamcast and XBox are clearly now retro. I didn't grab pictures of them, but they are starting to be very collectible (check the prices on Cube games for proof of that).

Handhelds
eb7kl1ynemee.jpg
yxe1x8kepize.jpg
n2aygqalbowc.jpg
1dmjjvknzks2.jpg

There are also a ton of handhelds, that I won't bother splitting up into years. Let's just say Nintendo has ruled pretty much forever with their various handhelds with every other company except maybe Microsoft trying to best them and then giving up. Sony arguably did the best with the PSP and Vita but even they decided to eventually bow out of the market. Personal fun fact: We used to play link cable Tetris on the ferry boat to math team competitions in high school. That is the nerdiest sentence I'll write today.

Aside from these, there are weird systems like Vectrex and those folks that collect Retro PC stuff like Commodore 64, Apple IIe or big boxed PC games.

What fills your bookshelves of old crap?

Lindsay Lohan on

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    That new retro thread smell.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    just think, when this thread is as old as the last one, we'll all be hahaing at the quaint nintendo switch and missing the sizable girth of its joycons as opposed to the paper thin controllers of the switchcUbe

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    It'll take some time to get used to these new digs

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

This thread doesn't feel the same, it's lost something. Kids today just won't understand. I'm currently in a bidding war on eBay with a bunch of people for refurbished old versions of the thread.
    (It's a good thread, this is jokes)

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    just think, when this thread is as old as the last one, we'll all be hahaing at the quaint nintendo switch and missing the sizable girth of its joycons as opposed to the paper thin controllers of the switchcUbe

Also someone will finally use the lines from Back to the Future II.
    “You mean you have to use your hands?”
    “That’s like a baby’s toy!”

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

The only thread on PA where that new thread smell actually has a musty scent and that's ok.

Good job on the new thread @Lindsay Lohan! Looking forward to talking retro games with you all for another 9 years.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    So you know how my son got me a PSP? So I started researching games that I've never played...then I found out that many PSP games are dirt cheap...and then I went a little nuts.

EBPNgRAl.jpg

I think I'm done for now, but any other possible suggestions are welcome. I like platformers, RPGS, and unique weird stuff.

I don't like shooters or anything horror related. :P

Edit: Just to add to this, I also got in Mercury Meltdown Revolution for the Wii. If you have never heard of it, it is a fantastically fun puzzle game where you play a ball of mercury. Great stuff!

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's a good time to collect PSP games for sure. Good choices.

Off hand, don't forget the two God of War games that came to the PSP and the Patapon games.

I don't know if you are into racing games, but the PSP has a surprising amount of awesome arcade racers.

• Options
    I don't know if you like sports but the Hot Shots Golf games are pretty much my favorite things on the system. The Rock Band game on it is pretty great too.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Nintendo and Sega just consistently crapped on each other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bun8tA_ksZw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEamI0_pd-Q

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I remember Ys Seven being pretty good on PSP.

• Options

This thread doesn't feel the same, it's lost something. Kids today just won't understand. I'm currently in a bidding war on eBay with a bunch of people for refurbished old versions of the thread.
    (It's a good thread, this is jokes)

The problem is the old thread was analog and the new one is digital. There's something that gets lost in the move to digital, a kind of warmth that isn't the same.

Sorry, I also collect vinyl...

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Switch will be featured in this thread, and we’ll all have an existential crisis before the nurse gives us the special “calming milk”.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Sterica wrote: »
    The Switch will be featured in this thread, and we’ll all have an existential crisis before the nurse gives us the special “calming milk”.

Something is only retro once there's a replacement. So let me be the first to say, what's with these OLED Switches with decent battery life? Back in my day, we brought bad screen Switches up to rooftop parties and then caught Covid while explaining that we did in fact pay full retail price for 1-2 Switch, why are you laughing?

• Options
    I'm probably too easy to impress, but to this day I still think the PSP and GBA SP screens look pretty great.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    I'm probably too easy to impress, but to this day I still think the PSP and GBA SP screens look pretty great.

Hope you mean AGS-101, because I've inherited a pair of 001s (frontlit) that look absolute crap.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Currently playing Hagane on the SNES.

Level 1-4 can fuck right off.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Oh hey this is my kind of place.

Anywho, a while back I picked up a fancy painted Dreamcast from some custom shop and have since been on a bit of a DC kick.

First up got Jet Set Radio to match the Beat designed DC. That was a pretty fun little replay.

After that I decided I needed something a bit longer.

Skies of Arcadia is pretty expensive, y'all.

I've been enjoying the hell out of it, though. Really taking my time and using the first person view button I totally avoided when I was younger. There is some cool views! Cool designs too. Also just a wholesome as fuck game that is.

Trying to stick to just one game at a time so I don't end up bogged down, but still having to keep an eye out and snag something when I can. I think I want that Lodoss War game next. It was a janky arpg but it was pretty fun to get all overpowered.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anywho, a while back I picked up a fancy painted Dreamcast from some custom shop and have since been on a bit of a DC kick.

First up got Jet Set Radio to match the Beat designed DC. That was a pretty fun little replay.

Bruh, you can't just tease us like that.

• Options
    Does anyone have experience good/bad/otherwise with HDMI adaptors on the Dreamcast? I know they aren't compatible with every game (but it seems like most of them) - but otherwise, are they worth the money?

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Dirty wrote: »

Bruh, you can't just tease us like that.

That's fair. I'm at work and on a phone so I didn't think about it.

http://imgur.com/a/DfeS7VE

I dunno what that'll do but that's the best I got going for me right now.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That's pretty dope.

• Options
    That is pretty fantastic looking!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Ok. This is more retro adjacent but I need to share it. My son has a Kirby shelf as part of his collection. It's one of his favorite characters. So, I got him one of those Japanese snap together models for his birthday in a few weeks. While looking on eBay for Kirby related items, something came up. It claims to be a nap pillow you can set on a desk and put your head in, or a small pet bed. I had to have it and it arrived today.
    i5uwjkg7q2v9.jpg

• Options
    Don't stare into it's soulless eyes!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    I've seen those before. They are both terrifying and awesome.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I was born in the 8-bit era, at 343.05ppm of CO2.

I put this Pi Zero W kit together a while ago:
    0dm8kjth2xhy.jpg
    Plays everything you could ever want, but I mostly use it to play Quake and SNES games. It eats batteries for breakfast, lunch and dinner though, and I've forgotten what I did with the custom USB power cable.

Is Skyrim a retro game now? My four year old nephew would probably think of it as a retro game.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    I'm having that existential crisis right now.

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »

0dm8kjth2xhy.jpg
    Plays everything you could ever want, but I mostly use it to play Quake and SNES games. It eats batteries for breakfast, lunch and dinner though, and I've forgotten what I did with the custom USB power cable.

Is Skyrim a retro game now? My four year old nephew would probably think of it as a retro game.

Came out during the 360 days, so I'm inclined to actually say yes?

Except for the fact that they re-release it for every new system, so because of that maybe not so much.

• Options
    edited August 2021

0dm8kjth2xhy.jpg

So what you are saying is that you built a 2021 GameGear?

That thing is awesome looking and I always wanted to make one. I have never gone to look how to build one.

Edit: Really bad grammar.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

0dm8kjth2xhy.jpg

Came out during the 360 days, so I'm inclined to actually say yes?

Except for the fact that they re-release it for every new system, so because of that maybe not so much.

Yeah, it feels sort of on the cusp despite being a decade old in less than three months.

Or, if you will, as old as Jetpac and Manic Miner were when the original Doom came out.

And I've just realised that Mass Effect 3 - yes, 3, not 1 or 2 - will be a decade old only four months after that and fuck I'm old.

• Options
    Let's get snapped turn into dust together, @Jazz . :P

• Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    That thing is awesome looking and I always wanted to make one. I have never gone to look how to build one.
    @Betsuni https://www.retroflag.com/GPi-CASE.html

• Options
    Oooh thanks. Now I have something to try out.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I see retro as less a time thing and more of a gameplay style thing. I don't see Skyrim as being retro because outside of its graphics it's essentially a standard modern RPG. The gameplay is the same. I wouldn't consider Call of Duty: Black Ops a retro game, even though it came out a year before Skyrim did.

To me, Doom is retro because it released in 1993, but also because it was a product of its time. It's designed around a series of limitations in hardware and software that no longer exist. The difference in videogames released in 1990 and 2000 is absolutely insane, the difference between games released in 2010 and 2020 is non-existent. For the most part we're still getting the exact same games as we did ten years ago, they just look prettier now.

I see the "retro era" as an era in videogaming where the industry was just starting to figure itself out, an era where we saw the creation of brand new games in what would become baseline genres. Retro gaming to me is creation and experimentation, whereas modern gaming is mostly iteration. However, I am more than willing to admit that if you ask ten different people to define "retro" with regards to videogames you will likely get eleven different answers.

• Options
    I see retro as less a time thing and more of a gameplay style thing. I don't see Skyrim as being retro because outside of its graphics it's essentially a standard modern RPG. The gameplay is the same. I wouldn't consider Call of Duty: Black Ops a retro game, even though it came out a year before Skyrim did.

To me, Doom is retro because it released in 1993, but also because it was a product of its time. It's designed around a series of limitations in hardware and software that no longer exist. The difference in videogames released in 1990 and 2000 is absolutely insane, the difference between games released in 2010 and 2020 is non-existent. For the most part we're still getting the exact same games as we did ten years ago, they just look prettier now.

I see the "retro era" as an era in videogaming where the industry was just starting to figure itself out, an era where we saw the creation of brand new games in what would become baseline genres. Retro gaming to me is creation and experimentation, whereas modern gaming is mostly iteration. However, I am more than willing to admit that if you ask ten different people to define "retro" with regards to videogames you will likely get eleven different answers.

I don't agree with this interpretation, there were 6 Mega Man games on the NES. Iteration started from day one. Ms. Pac-Man was a slightly improved sequel to Pac-Man!

• Options
    I don't agree with this interpretation, there were 6 Mega Man games on the NES. Iteration started from day one. Ms. Pac-Man was a slightly improved sequel to Pac-Man!

Of course Capcom was cranking out cookie cutter sequels, that was their jam (just look at the 83 different versions of Street Fighter 2 they released). But still, in 1987 to 1997 you saw the transition between Megaman and Megaman X4. Even back then, when they were iterating, they were still seeing major changes. You went from a slow game played via a series of single screen encounters to a fast paced smooth scrolling game with voiced dialogue, cutscenes, and multiple playable characters. The technology was changing so quickly that you were able to see big fundamental changes in gameplay between subsequent games in the same franchise. Compare the technical difference between Megaman and Megaman X4 to the difference between Megaman X4 and Megaman X8 (which is basically shinier graphics and some rail sections added).

Even Ms. Pac Man had some big technical changes, like the addition of multiple mazes (instead of the single maze that the original had), more complex AI, primitive cutscenes, and more animation.

• Options

Of course Capcom was cranking out cookie cutter sequels, that was their jam (just look at the 83 different versions of Street Fighter 2 they released). But still, in 1987 to 1997 you saw the transition between Megaman and Megaman X4. Even back then, when they were iterating, they were still seeing major changes. You went from a slow game played via a series of single screen encounters to a fast paced smooth scrolling game with voiced dialogue, cutscenes, and multiple playable characters. The technology was changing so quickly that you were able to see big fundamental changes in gameplay between subsequent games in the same franchise. Compare the technical difference between Megaman and Megaman X4 to the difference between Megaman X4 and Megaman X8 (which is basically shinier graphics and some rail sections added).

Even Ms. Pac Man had some big technical changes, like the addition of multiple mazes (instead of the single maze that the original had), more complex AI, primitive cutscenes, and more animation.

The lack of change between X4 and X8 isn't because of the era, it's because Capcom burgled all the senior staff for games like Resident Evil, which were massive innovative, industry shaking games in themselves. This idea that old games were innovative and newer games aren't is not even rose colored glasses, it's just false.

• Options
    I think it's a difference of revolutionary innovation vs evolutionary innovation.

Back in the day shit just didn't exist. So you threw out whatever idea struck your fancy.

These days most things have existed, so it's more about making them engaging.

Basically someone had to make a kendama once upon a time, but I think given enough boredom I could do that. Ask me to make a kendama fun for a modern audience? I couldn't do that, but I'd find it absolutely interesting and innovative if someone could.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The lack of change between X4 and X8 isn't because of the era, it's because Capcom burgled all the senior staff for games like Resident Evil, which were massive innovative, industry shaking games in themselves. This idea that old games were innovative and newer games aren't is not even rose colored glasses, it's just false.

No, I said the retro era was innovative, and it was, because we saw an absolute explosion of technology and genres. Just because Capcom put out a new Megaman game every year for six years doesn't mean that other developers weren't innovating.

How many new genres have been created in the last decade that didn't exist in the retro era? Looter shooter, battle royale, and walking simulator?