As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Power Bottom

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Power Bottom

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    I love how you can tell which Pokémon is Gabe and which is Tycho.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Sooo. It's pokemon and it's some kind of multiplayer... and it's some kind of MOBA?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Sooo. It's pokemon and it's some kind of multiplayer... and it's some kind of MOBA?

It's a MOBA. One I'd be interested in if not for
    By the time you exhaust all of your freebies you should have enough coins (free currency) to spend on one or two other Pokemon (depending on price) — or invest them into picking up all of the held items (you get three slots in which to customize which upgradable items you hold) in the game. Alternatively, you can navigate the trainer cosmetic system, character skins (of which there are a staggeringly low amount at launch), experience/coin boosts, and gacha cosmetic rewards. Oh and there’s a season pass with a free and premium track, and a third currency (tickets) that can be used for several purchases. Outside of challenge reward exceptions, coin gains are gated to roughly 2,000 per week, and season pass progress is predominately time-gated.
    https://www.destructoid.com/reviews/pokemon-unite-review/amp/

I am very, very tired of this shitty business model.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Nothing about this game is quite as frustrating as the absolute worthlessness of your random teammates.

I thought they were bad in LoL...
    I though they were horrible in Smite...
    I thought they were awful in HotS...

But Unite really takes the cake!

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Ahhhh MOBAs never change. This is the same drama from DotA, LoL, Heroes, etc.

And yeah, I tried it. It's neat and fun. But it's made by Tencent so I'm not going to ever support it financially even a little bit.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Also...

I really wish that if Nintendo/GameFreak/ThePokemon Company (or more generically any studio at all) is going to farm out their properties to 3rd party developers that they wouldn't go with the company that at best is a highly predatory and soulless corporation, and at worst a possible sinister agent of the CCP.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yes, yes this is a problem and I like this comic.

• Options
    beeftruckbeeftruck Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Djiem wrote: »
    Nothing about this game is quite as frustrating as the absolute worthlessness of your random teammates.

That's because they're literally schoolchildren.

beeftruck on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    beeftruck wrote: »

Seriously.

Is this one of those things were grown men are going to rage on people for not being elite players without realizing they're literally playing with a bunch of kids?

Guys, it's a Pokemon game on the Nintendo Switch. Who the goose do you think the audience is?

• Options
    BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    ironzerg wrote: »

Seriously.

Is this one of those things were grown men are going to rage on people for not being elite players without realizing they're literally playing with a bunch of kids?

Guys, it's a Pokemon game on the Nintendo Switch. Who the goose do you think the audience is?

I dunno, pokemon fans? The series has been around since 1996. Has it ever NOT been on Nintendo consoles?

Anyway, handled correctly, it could be a learning opportunity on the importance of coordination and teamwork.

Bropocalypse on
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Who the goose do you think the audience is?

People with access to money. Their money or their parents. Nintendo doesn't really give a fuck.

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    This is one of those jokes that really only works if you know how a MOBA works. The Pokemon's expressions are perfection, though.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The only thing wrong with this is that Vulpix is more adorable than that.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ValeroisValerois Registered User regular

Seriously.

I dunno, pokemon fans? The series has been around since 1996. Has it ever NOT been on Nintendo consoles?

Anyway, handled correctly, it could be a learning opportunity on the importance of coordination and teamwork.

I'm not going to be holding my breath for the people raging about it to be able to handle it correctly, and I seriously doubt Tencent would handle it in any way that's satisfactory for those same ragers.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

Seriously.

Indeed, pokemon fans. Most of which are children.

Again, Nintendo doesn't mind giving some bits to the grownups, but the primary audience of pokemon is and will always be children, and as someone who has also been playing every gen since Blue, I have been tired of the constant refrain of "Nintendo should cater games to me" coming from some of my fellows since, like, Sapphire. We're the side audience here. So yes, I expect your average player, at least while the game is new, will be literally twelve years old.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    LtPowersLtPowers Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    This is one of those jokes that really only works if you know how a MOBA works.

Sometimes I think I have more need for explain-penny-arcade.com than for explainxkcd.com. And that's even with Jerry's accompanying posts! (Language artiste that he is, of course, his writing can be hard to interpret properly...)

Powers &8^]

• Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    LtPowers wrote: »
    T-Danger wrote: »
    This is one of those jokes that really only works if you know how a MOBA works.

Sometimes I think I have more need for explain-penny-arcade.com than for explainxkcd.com. And that's even with Jerry's accompanying posts! (Language artiste that he is, of course, his writing can be hard to interpret properly...)

Powers &8^]

There are two lanes where you can score points (at the top and the bottom), and five players on each team; so if you have everyone at the bottom, you should easily beat any enemy players who come to the bottom with weight of numbers, but you're leaving the top entirely undefended.

• Options
    LtPowersLtPowers Registered User regular
    Showsni wrote: »
    There are two lanes where you can score points (at the top and the bottom), and five players on each team; so if you have everyone at the bottom, you should easily beat any enemy players who come to the bottom with weight of numbers, but you're leaving the top entirely undefended.

Well, thanks. It seems like there ought to be some way to ensure lane balance besides chatter in the lobby, but what do I know? =)

Powers &8^]

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    There isn't really, unless part of the game design is that you can't change lanes, which sometimes you have to do for various reasons. Otherwise, no matter what method you use to divvy up responsibility, it leaves the possibility open for people to not fulfill the assignment.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    That title >.>

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    That title >.>

Could also have worked for the Aug 18 comic.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png