As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] Rumor has it there are GPU's in the wild

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    @Orca what kind of ram do you have?

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Just had one of the fans on my Lian Li Gallahad 360 die a violent and loud death. Was just playing a game and all the sudden it sounded like my PC was about to explode, like a fire alarm was going off. Shut it down immediately and some investigation later realized the back fan on the 360 radiator was making a horrible noise and sure enough it grew over time and became the sound of hell emerging through my PC like some kind of Doom portal. My assumption is that the blade is off balance or has a bad bearing.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

I was paranoid and paid more for less performance so I could hit 64 gigs while still being on the QVL for my motherboard with 3600 MHz RAM.

I went with the Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600 MHz C18 64 gig kit: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK64GX4M2D3600C18

I’m sure you could hit better marks with better RAM.

Orca wrote: »

I was paranoid and paid more for less performance so I could hit 64 gigs while still being on the QVL for my motherboard with 3600 MHz RAM.

I went with the Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600 MHz C18 64 gig kit: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK64GX4M2D3600C18

If you open up task manager and go to the memory section of the performance tab, what does it report the speed as?

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I don't think this was mentioned, but in Nvidia's earnings report this week they are now warning that they don't expect GPU supply issues to be resolved for "the majority of 2022"

So I think I'm giving up on PC gaming, except for the Steam Deck.

Ooooof. I sure hope my graphics card doesn't die in the next year and a half.

BahamutZERO.gif
    If you want a graphics card over the next couple years, be prepared to part with a kidney.

Or two.

If you open up task manager and go to the memory section of the performance tab, what does it report the speed as?

Reported speed is 3600 MHz, 2 out of 4 slots used.

DOCP profile enabled and I set Ryzen Master to do an automatic overclock.

• SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    So I'm hearing rumours GPUs might not get much cheaper in the future and honestly, if I was running AMD/NVidia, that's exactly what I'd do too. So I'm thinking of replacing my 4-5 year old dell gaming laptop and doing a build.

I'm down in Ozzieland (Australia) so prices and availability can be pretty different.

Last time I did a 'build' was around 2010 when I was adding SSDs and the like to old laptops, and before that would've been 2005 or so...

pcpart picker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7ffHPV

Or my own list:
    Case: Fractal Meshify 2 Compact
    CPU: ryzen 5 5600x
    MB: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
    AIO: NZXT Kraken x63 RGB
    PSU: seasonic focus gold plus 550 W modular
    SSD: Samsung 980 1TB M2 NVME
    Ram: Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMW16GX4M2D3600C18 Vengeance RGB Pro 3600MHz DDR4 RAM
    GPU: 6600xt

Any comments/ideas?

the gpu goes for $700 here, and the next step up, the RTX 3600 ti, goes for about $1000 and comes with much better ray tracing performance but barely any other performance boosts outside of ray tracing.

edited August 2021
    About the only thing I'd suggest is if you like the look of the Kraken and don't mind the cost, go for it, otherwise consider a tower air cooler, which will generally be about as effective for much less. Assuming it fits in your case.

Unless you plan on moving your case around a lot, in which case the minimal weight of the water block on the CPU is an advantage.

Orca on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you want to do a water cooler for the aesthetics, go for it. Otherwise, though, a 5600x is totally fine with a mediocre air cooler

steam_sig.png
  • SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    Revised the AIO to the Arctic Lqiuid Freezer II 280mm for significant less cost and better performance...

So here's an RGB question, in case I want some more red speed or blue cooling:

Do I just replace the fans later? or do I need a special controller? Right now i'm going kinda budget to start + performance, so the AIO and case don't have RGB even if the ram + gpu do (a bit). What do I need?

@LD50 Any particular reason for those pointed questions?

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Ugh, that hurt.

So, there were 2 stockists in Australia that had the Sapphire 6800XT Pulse. Both sold out yesterday. I checked Amazon and Ebay, and you're looking at a +$800au markup to buy them there. Fuck scalpers.

However, there's an Australian stockist for Powercolor, and they had the 6800XT Red Devil for almost the same cost as the Sapphire Pulse.

So I bit the bullet and bought one. I was hoping to wait around and see if a sale happened, but what I'm seeing is high end video cards are just never getting discounts, and are very, very hard to find outside of scalpers. So if I waited longer, I'd end up needing to get a lower model video card.

So yay, I'm now the proud owner of a RX 6800 XT Red Devil. Pressing 'proceed' on the order felt like part of my soul was sucked out of me.

-Loki- wrote: »
    Ugh, that hurt.

So, there were 2 stockists in Australia that had the Sapphire 6800XT Pulse. Both sold out yesterday. I checked Amazon and Ebay, and you're looking at a +$800au markup to buy them there. Fuck scalpers.

However, there's an Australian stockist for Powercolor, and they had the 6800XT Red Devil for almost the same cost as the Sapphire Pulse.

So I bit the bullet and bought one. I was hoping to wait around and see if a sale happened, but what I'm seeing is high end video cards are just never getting discounts, and are very, very hard to find outside of scalpers. So if I waited longer, I'd end up needing to get a lower model video card.

So yay, I'm now the proud owner of a RX 6800 XT Red Devil. Pressing 'proceed' on the order felt like part of my soul was sucked out of me.

But it's a sweet card!

Even if it costs almost as much as my entire planned build

But it's a sweet card! You gonna do some 4k with it??? VR? GOOD STUFF

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    No, I actually prefer 1440p for desktop PC, so it should do for a long time.

I’m planning on getting into 1440p Ultrawide at some point and from what I’ve seen framerates don’t budge much on this card between normal and Ultrawide 1440p.

Sounds awesome... you might've paid a pretty penny but it lets you do something awesome!

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @Serpent
    PSUs are starting to drop in price here. Can you get something closer to 700W with some looking? A 550W is fine if you can't.

@LD50 Any particular reason for those pointed questions?

Your CPU score is lower than mine for Horizon. I have a 3090 so that is probably why the score is different, but I wanted to make sure your ram was running at the right speed since most AMD motherboards won't load the XMP profile automatically.

LD50 Any particular reason for those pointed questions?

Your CPU score is lower than mine for Horizon. I have a 3090 so that is probably why the score is different, but I wanted to make sure your ram was running at the right speed since most AMD motherboards won't load the XMP profile automatically.

Interesting. Could also be your CPU can overclock better as well, better RAM timings, 4 sticks instead of 2, etc.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Hm...just got picked for a Arous 3080 + Gigabyte Z590 combo on the shuffle. $1600 is a lot and my 3070 has been great, but got an hour to decide if it's worth the upgrade premium. No use for the motherboard though.

Feels like highway robbery and I shouldn't be so tempted.

That is a lot of money. Can you afford that kind of hit? Are you willing to pay $1600 for a video card?

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Hm...just got picked for a Arous 3080 + Gigabyte Z590 combo on the shuffle. $1600 is a lot and my 3070 has been great, but got an hour to decide if it's worth the upgrade premium. No use for the motherboard though.

Feels like highway robbery and I shouldn't be so tempted.

I can appreciate the feeling. Can you use the mobo as backup or sell to someone else to take a bit of the sting off?

I seriously hate the feeling of both fomo and the uncertainty of video card prices possibly staying this level for years.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    That is a lot of money. Can you afford that kind of hit? Are you willing to pay $1600 for a video card?

I'd have no real issue paying $1000 or so for the card since it's one of the premium liquid cooled AIO versions, especially since I could get back a good chunk of that if I resold my 3070 I got back in February. My wife doesn't care either way and we can easily afford it.

But spending an extra $400 for a motherboard I don't want and can't use is really grating. I can probably resell the motherboard new in box but that's hassle I'd rather not deal with.

Edit - just annoying that it's a month short of a year of waiting and my first real chance at a 3080 and still having a hard decision.

zagdrob on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

I'd have no real issue paying $1000 or so for the card since it's one of the premium liquid cooled AIO versions, especially since I could get back a good chunk of that if I resold my 3070 I got back in February. My wife doesn't care either way and we can easily afford it.

But spending an extra $400 for a motherboard I don't want and can't use is really grating. I can probably resell the motherboard new in box but that's hassle I'd rather not deal with.

Edit - just annoying that it's a month short of a year of waiting and my first real chance at a 3080 and still having a hard decision.

Do it, is my take.

Ask yourself how much your time is worth, and if you are going to keep doing this.

If you can step away for 6-8 months and try again then, then sure - wait it out. But a 400 dollar premium to get what you want now and not spend countless hours watching this thread or discords or whatever to try and get a card is easily worth that, right?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    If you have kids or friends wanting to build a pc, that mobo and your 3070 could be a good starting point too.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    So made some small adjustments based on deals, and exploring a SFF case...

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mkqmXb

But, would probably go with 32GB of ram as the ITX motherboard only has 2 ram slots, so I'd over invest here instead of upgrading later.

Total price of this build with 16GB ram is $2049 vs the previous build I had which was $2018.... so $31 premium to go SFF plus add WiFi onto the motherboard.

Case: CoolerMaster NR200
    MB: MSI MPG B550I Gaming Edge Wi-Fi (includes $40 steam voucher)
    AIO: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280
    PSU: SilverStone SFX-L Platinum Modular 700W Power Supply (bundled with case for a deal)
    Ram: Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMW16GX4M2D3600C18 Vengeance RGB Pro 3600MHz DDR4 RAM (to be upgrade to 32GB for extra +$135)

Serpent wrote: »

But, would probably go with 32GB of ram as the ITX motherboard only has 2 ram slots, so I'd over invest here instead of upgrading later.

Total price of this build with 16GB ram is $2049 vs the previous build I had which was $2018.... so $31 premium to go SFF plus add WiFi onto the motherboard.

PSU: SilverStone SFX-L Platinum Modular 700W Power Supply (bundled with case for a deal)
    Ram: Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMW16GX4M2D3600C18 Vengeance RGB Pro 3600MHz DDR4 RAM (to be upgrade to 32GB for extra +$135)

Looks good to me!

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    hooooo had a graphics card scare tonight, started having weird monitor black out crashes and reboots occasionally today, then stopped getting a monitor signal on reboot, thought my card was dying, but reseating it seems to have fixed the issue

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited August 2021
    For a gaming PC, is it worth getting a Platinum or Titanium power supply over a Gold? I'm seeing some really good reviews for the supply I'm looking at (Corsair RM850x 850W Gold).

Also, does it matter if the RAM you're getting isn't on the motherboards QVL? All of the compatible G.Skill RAM I'm seeing for the Unify at 3600mhz is RBG, and what I'm getting isn't RGB so it's got a different part number that's not on the list.

-Loki- on
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    QVL Ram is nowhere near as important as it was in the Zen1/Zen+ days

I would pay more attention if you plan to populate all 4 RAM slots, but don't feel constrained.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    That Corsair PSU is great - I have one.

-Loki- wrote: »
    For a gaming PC, is it worth getting a Platinum or Titanium power supply over a Gold? I'm seeing some really good reviews for the supply I'm looking at (Corsair RM850x 850W Gold).

Also, does it matter if the RAM you're getting isn't on the motherboards QVL? All of the compatible G.Skill RAM I'm seeing for the Unify at 3600mhz is RBG, and what I'm getting isn't RGB so it's got a different part number that's not on the list.

Silver/Gold/Plat/Titanium are efficiency ratings; not reliability. The higher rated PSUs tend to have higher quality components to get the better efficiency, so they will usually be more reliable as a result. But that's not the intent of the rating.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I know this is the build thread, but could I get opinions on this prebuilt at Newegg? https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali489/p/N82E16883360084?item=N82E16883360084 I’ve been out of the PC gaming world since the PS3/360 days and all I know about it now is that GPUs are costing like half the cost of that entire rig. I’m not interested in anything fancy like 4K, VR, overclocking, or running more than one screen. My minimum is to get Doom Eternal running at 60 FPS with similar visual quality as the PS4 version, but with ray tracing on. Could this get me there? Reviews indicate great performance for AAA games but aren’t clear about performance with ray tracing. The monitor I’m planning to use isn’t even 1080p (1680x1050), though I’ll likely invest in a 1440p monitor around Christmas. Thanks in advance!

steam_sig.png
    Bullio wrote: »
    I know this is the build thread, but could I get opinions on this prebuilt at Newegg? https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali489/p/N82E16883360084?item=N82E16883360084 I’ve been out of the PC gaming world since the PS3/360 days and all I know about it now is that GPUs are costing like half the cost of that entire rig. I’m not interested in anything fancy like 4K, VR, overclocking, or running more than one screen. My minimum is to get Doom Eternal running at 60 FPS with similar visual quality as the PS4 version, but with ray tracing on. Could this get me there? Reviews indicate great performance for AAA games but aren’t clear about performance with ray tracing. The monitor I’m planning to use isn’t even 1080p (1680x1050), though I’ll likely invest in a 1440p monitor around Christmas. Thanks in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2vrvQydVIw

I can't tell the branding of the PSU or SSD, but overall that seems like a reasonable build. I also don't know how that case handles air intake without choking the front fans. I don't think the side intake sections allow enough air to get to the fans, but I'm a bit biased (I'm not a fan of solid front cases in general). The motherboard is also a Intel mATX board, so I've got reservations there. It's not "bad," per se, but that's a good place to start if/when you look for upgrades down the line.

Serpent wrote: »

Looks good to me!

ORDERED

Thanks guys, I'll stick with that power supply and the RAM I was intending to get.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Bullio wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2vrvQydVIw

I can't tell the branding of the PSU or SSD, but overall that seems like a reasonable build. I also don't know how that case handles air intake without choking the front fans. I don't think the side intake sections allow enough air to get to the fans, but I'm a bit biased (I'm not a fan of solid front cases in general). The motherboard is also a Intel mATX board, so I've got reservations there. It's not "bad," per se, but that's a good place to start if/when you look for upgrades down the line.

Thanks for the feedback! I dug around some more and found a basically identical build, ABS ALI497, but using ASUS versions of the mobo and GPU and a different (possibly better) case. I built my last PC so I know how to swap out parts if necessary down the road. Just hoping the GPU survives the next couple years.

steam_sig.png
  • qwer12qwer12 PhilippinesRegistered User regular
    So my 9 year old computer is dying, so I decided to just build a temporary budget computer for gaming and work. I'm planning to forgo a video card and just go for a ryzen 5700g. Build will look something like this:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700G
    Mobo: ASRock B550M-ITX/ac
    RAM: 16 GB 3200mhz
    Memory: 1 TB Gen 4 SSD
    Case: In Win Chopin Pro
    PSU: 200w

Based on what I've read, the 5700g should be enough since I'll mostly be playing older games and sticking to 1080p. Most graphic intensive games I can see myself playing are the yakuza games I got from humble bundle, but I think those are playable at low from what I read. I only intend for this build to last for a year or two, before building a new high end PC (hopefully by then zen 4 will becoming out). My only concern is if 200w is enough for the build. The case comes with the psu, and I'm really hoping it's enough since I want to save some money. If it's not enough and I have to get a separate one, then I'll probably change the case as well to something with a similar form factor but no psu.

steam_sig.png

PSN: jrrl_absent
This discussion has been closed.