As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Twitching

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Twitching

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    SolkardSolkard Registered User new member
    Is that where everyone from OnlyFans is going after Oct. 1st?

• Options
    GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    As with most Microsoft projects, Mixer seemed to die mostly due to their absolute inability to make their products sexy to consumers. A ton of people found out that Mixer existed in the first place when they were announcing that it was shutting down. That's... not usually a good sign for a service.

Maybe they just put all their ads in places where old-man me doesn't look, I know they hired some really popular Fortnite streamer or something, but I really think the problem is the same as the Zune - somehow their tech guys know what people want, but their marketers can't get their heads out of their asses long enough to convey that it's really cool. Getting people to migrate to a new service requires more than just building a cool service. You've gotta give them a reason to go there. And while Mixer had some cool stuff for the creators, the consumers really didn't have a good reason to hop on the bandwagon. If you're an established streamer and can get people to follow you that's cool, but if you're a hobby player trying to get some chill people to hang out with you while you play DotA you're not really going to hit up Mixer when the odds of picking up randoms is way better on Twitch.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    It’s been a while since Penny Arcade savaged a company this hard. Kudos.

• Options
    BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    It's like back during the MMORPG gold rush; There were a lot of MMOs coming out due to the wild success of WoW, but you can't just draw people away from a community they're already engrained in. I'm sure a lot of games at that time were probably better than WoW, but they had no hope to out-WoW WoW. That's the power of social links. It's what makes social media sites immune to competition.

• Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    Could be worse. You could live next door to Wish and have all those FBI tactical vans blocking your street. That or Pinterest, with all the crap they build in the backyard contributing to the view from your deck. Or maybe Onlyfans, and have dudes showing up at your door 'cause they can't read the house numbers.

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    Armored ChocoboArmored Chocobo Registered User regular
    I mean if Mixer invested their money into features instead of buying Ninja into using it, maybe we'd still have it right now.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I mean if Mixer invested their money into features instead of buying Ninja into using it, maybe we'd still have it right now.

I'm not sure how you figure that. They were already way ahead of Twitch on features. Their problem was lack of audience. That's why they bought Ninja et al. The audience wasn't coming (in the huge numbers they needed) for features.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Also, sometimes successful apps/platforms just muddle on in relative obscurity for years until they become household names. Annoyingly Microsoft (and Google, for that matter) have a tendency to kill off stuff if it's taking too long.

• Options
    LtPowersLtPowers Registered User regular
    So, who's got the background on how Twitch is awful?

• Options
    palidine40palidine40 Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Any social media that gets big enough is the equivalent of a city compared to a town. Once you get a high enough population density, the crazies have a higher chance of bumping in to each other and talking about their crazy theory.

If you multiply the population of any group by a million, you're a million times more likely to have a serial killer. The internet makes the world into one big community. Get rid of one social media company, another forum takes its place. The governments of a people are responsible for them, as they are responsible for their government, we can't easily police the russians when they try to incite hatred within our borders, for instance. And any "perceived" threat across borders are something for which governements are responsible to each other.

There's a cultural evolution that rises in humans whenever we learn the ability to gather in larger numbers too. One where we learn to live together in different ways than when we were lower density. There's a rise in the crime and negative at first, but there's also eventually a trust and submission to the ideas that allow us to "love" or live with our communities better, and an equilibrium happens. It doesn't always look the same, compare New Yorkers to Los Angelans, Portanders to Londoners, Parisians to Bismarkans; they don't look the same in attitude or mannerisms, but the same thing has happened. They had their monsters, they'll still have monsters in the future, but they've learned to live. Imagine.

Edit: cut off sentence fixed, lost train of thought when convo started irl

palidine40 on
  • Options
    LtPowers wrote: »
    So, who's got the background on how Twitch is awful?

My impression is it's more a case of a) twitch lacking features and not improving the stability of their service (re: telescope never once pointed at the sky) simply because they don't have to do that to compete, even though they could, and b) twitch being somewhat inconsistent about what they ban and when and doing things that hurt creators (mutes/takedowns) in a somewhat callous manner (re: kills cats). Plus their community can be toxic.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/21/22543428/twitch-bans-amouranth-indiefoxx-sexually-suggestive-asmr
    https://kotaku.com/twitch-will-finally-tell-streamers-why-they-got-banned-1847456655
    https://www.looper.com/263700/the-shady-side-of-twitch/
    https://www.polygon.com/streaming/2021/2/2/22219391/twitch-down-feb-2-2021-investigating-problems
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/nnll3x/why_it_sucks_being_a_girl_streamer_on_twitch/
    https://www.sportskeeda.com/esports/summit1g-reveals-might-leave-twitch-toxic-chat
    https://gamingcareers.com/podcasts/why-twitchs-new-ad-experience-sucks-for-streamers/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/mt7cnw/what_is_wrong_with_twitch/

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I mean, I can't think of any specific shenanigans they've been up to recently, other than their general Amazon parentage and some of the stuff around hot tub streams, and DMCA etc.
    But telescope never once pointed at the sky is definitely meant to imply they use it to peep the neighbors. Like, that whole 3rd panel is just unsavory.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Or it's just generic bad neighbor kid? The telescope thing is a peeping tom problem and the more PG version of killing cats is Sid from Toy Story who steals and tortures toys

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    zero-pointzero-point Registered User new member
    I start to believe the Deep Fakes, after a while.

• Options
    SicariSicari Registered User new member
    If Mixer had been the "twitch killer" than we'd have all the same problems with it as we have with Twitch.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Sicari wrote: »
    If Mixer had been the "twitch killer" than we'd have all the same problems with it as we have with Twitch.

Yes and no. We wouldn't have the same problems with a lack of features, because Mixer already had the features. I believe the protocol Mixer used also avoided some of the issues that plague Twitch.

The rest is more of an unknown.

dennis on
  • Options
    Armored ChocoboArmored Chocobo Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

Yes and no. We wouldn't have the same problems with a lack of features, because Mixer already had the features. I believe the protocol Mixer used also avoided some of the issues that plague Twitch.

What's certain is if it had any foothold worth noting, it'd eventually have copyright problems that Microsoft would over-solve.

• Options
    SicariSicari Registered User new member
    dennis wrote: »

I guess I mean more that the problems that come from the lack of competition would just carry over to Mixer. Mixer wouldn't have to adapt the same way Twitch doesn't.

• Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Or it's just generic bad neighbor kid? The telescope thing is a peeping tom problem and the more PG version of killing cats is Sid from Toy Story who steals and tortures toys

Not really fair. He makes Frankenstein toys, but had no idea they were living things.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Geddoe wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »

Not really fair. He makes Frankenstein toys, but had no idea they were living things.

Also to be fair, even us humans watching the Toy Story movies have a hard time figuring out how all the rules work. Where does a toy's "soul" reside? Is it the head? Why, since they have no brain? If you combine parts from two toys, would it be a melding of the two personalities? Would one take over, and how is that determined?

That's just scratching the surface.

dennis on