As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I think an open world game where you find boss zones on your own, and unlock new areas somewhat like Metroidvania with their powers could be a good direction for a Megaman game. But if you make it full 3D, how to get the same jump and shoot feeling would be THE biggest challenge with that.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I think an open world game where you find boss zones on your own, and unlock new areas somewhat like Metroidvania with their powers could be a good direction for a Megaman game. But if you make it full 3D, how to get the same jump and shoot feeling would be THE biggest challenge with that.

Metroid Prime?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'm trying to imagine what a big-budget (by today's standards) Mega Man would be and it's just breaking my brain.

Yeah, this probably isn't going to be Mega Man 12 or Mega Man X9. I'm really curious what this game is going to be, especially with a title that can be translated to "Mega Man War". I'd almost say "crossover", but XDiVE is already doing that. Plus the fact that the Mega Man series actually has a very cohesive timeline means that it would be difficult to have characters from various series show up without introducing time travel or using the premise of XDiVE (that these are all data copies of video game characters).

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Megaman Legends redux.

Apparently UDON is working on some kind of Mega Man Legends book. I don't know what it could possibly be, given that they only translated the other Official Complete Works books and Legends never got one...unless they themselves have gotten permission to make one or something.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Metroid Prime?

Oof. I love MP, but I would hate for MM to go in that direction. MM needs a more action-y tempo. Less Metroid Prime, more Vanquish.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Maybe this war or battle could take place over the internet using some kind of digital network navigators that integrate with human users.

Endless_Serpents on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

Metroid Prime?

Oof. I love MP, but I would hate for MM to go in that direction. MM needs a more action-y tempo. Less Metroid Prime, more Vanquish.

Over the years, I've seen Ratchet & Clank compared favorably to what a 3D Mega Man could be like. I've only played bits here and there, mostly the PS4 remake, but I can see that style working.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I honestly would not be shocked if it was Legends 3. I kind of feel like current Capcom is not the same as "Inafune quit so let's can all his Mega Man projects" Capcom (maybe the difference is the schadenfreude of seeing Mighty No 9 fail so spectacularly :P). A Legends game fits the bill of "big budget" IMO, especially if you're throwing in lots of dialog and story and big open areas.

Or it could be something totally different, who knows :P

(This doesn't qualify in any way as big budget, but I still do wish they'd revive Mega Man Universe... the way it was looking before getting cancelled was a bit clunky and bad-ish, but if done right, yes, I could go for an official Mega Maker please :P)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282

Metroid Prime?

That's fair, Mega Man definitely leans more action than exploration compared to Metroid. I do think that it's a valid reference point for design though, since Prime games still incorporated some platforming and other stuff in the 3D space.

edited May 2021

Metroid Prime?

That's fair, Mega Man definitely leans more action than exploration compared to Metroid. I do think that it's a valid reference point for design though, since Prime games still incorporated some platforming and other stuff in the 3D space.

Capcom and Koei Techmo team up to bring you... Mega Warriors! :P (I'm not going to lie, I would play the shit out of that)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I honestly would not be shocked if it was Legends 3. I kind of feel like current Capcom is not the same as "Inafune quit so let's can all his Mega Man projects" Capcom (maybe the difference is the schadenfreude of seeing Mighty No 9 fail so spectacularly :P). A Legends game fits the bill of "big budget" IMO, especially if you're throwing in lots of dialog and story and big open areas.

(This doesn't qualify in any way as big budget, but I still do wish they'd revive Mega Man Universe... the way it was looking before getting cancelled was a bit clunky and bad-ish, but if done right, yes, I could go for an official Mega Maker please :P)

You know, after the Mighty No. 9 debacle I wonder if Capcom canning Inafune's Mega Man projects was less spite and more they weren't looking like good games.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    To be honest, in the right era (mainly MMX or MMZero, but probably also the battle network games), I could see a Mega Man Warriors working pretty well. I don't think it'd fit with Classic, and even Legends would feel like a stretch. I don't know shit about Starforce. IIRC ZX was basically just more of Zero (but starting to presage Legends a bit), so it'd probably work too.

I'd love if Taisen was a full-blown modern MM Legends though. That's what I would be most excited about (except I probably couldn't play it since the only modern platform I have is a Switch; my PC is falling short on CPU requirements anymore).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

Metroid Prime?

I was more thinking like the ds games but less meyroidvania map and more botw. But with boss zones being more cutoff from the world and very clear boss fights to end them with new weapons both being great for combat but also exploration.

But yeah I dunno how that works with the combat like I said. There is a reason very few attempts at megaman in 3d have been successful

Metroid Prime?

I was more thinking like the ds games but less meyroidvania map and more botw. But with boss zones being more cutoff from the world and very clear boss fights to end them with new weapons both being great for combat but also exploration.

But yeah I dunno how that works with the combat like I said. There is a reason very few attempts at megaman in 3d have been successful

I don't think any attempts at Mega Man in 3D have been successful. MM Legends may have been a decent/good game, but it didn't really feel like Mega Man. X7 was terrible. Was there anything else?

Metroid Prime?

I don't think any attempts at Mega Man in 3D have been successful. MM Legends may have been a decent/good game, but it didn't really feel like Mega Man. X7 was terrible. Was there anything else?

Star force, by technicality?

I didn't play those. I thought they were just an extension of the EXE/Battle Network games (ie: not a proper MM game), and just had 3D battle animations (ie: not really a 3D game).

I didn't play those. I thought they were just an extension of the EXE/Battle Network games (ie: not a proper MM game), and just had 3D battle animations (ie: not really a 3D game).

Eh, pretty much just a 2D space in 3D graphics, yeah.

edited May 2021
    I'm having a hard time imagining a 3D Mega Man game that I'd like that wasn't like Legends, honestly. I was never a fan of games like Ratchet & Clank for whatever reason. I liked Vanquish, but I still don't know about making a Mega Man game like it.

When I think of most Mega Man games I think of the words "timing" and "precision". It feels to me like side-scrolling enables those features in a way that 3D spaces wouldn't. Even X7 allowing players to lock-on to enemies and fire at an angle in side-scrolling sections felt off, to me anyway.

Hexmage-PA on
    edited May 2021
    Warlock82 wrote: »

You know, after the Mighty No. 9 debacle I wonder if Capcom canning Inafune's Mega Man projects was less spite and more they weren't looking like good games.

I dunno. I do know I heard some very unflattering things about Mega Man Universe from press events and such (but then it was still pretty early in development), but still, the timing seemed really, really coincidental if it wasn't related. The impression I get is that they would not have canned the projects if he hadn't left, but also if one or more looked to be huge sellers, they might not have canned after he left too. But TBH I think at that point in Capcom's history they didn't really view Mega Man as a money making franchise anymore. So maybe not spite "per sae" but certainly I think they were only allowing the development because Inafune was still in charge of them and he was respected senior staff. Once he was gone they didn't see any reason to continue development (and I do kinda think some of it was a pride thing). But all that's just my speculation of course :P

It's like, you're telling me they were building a prototype demo for Legends 3 under upper management's noses and yet it was widely publicized in so many places. Then suddenly Inafune leaves and it's "well we never authorized the project to begin with." Nah, if they wanted that squashed it would have been done immediately, not after a bunch of promises of a 3DS demo and stuff were out there.

Also TBH, I don't think Mighty No. 9 was the horrible game everyone portrayed it as. It absolutely had problems but I think a lot of them were budgetary (which would be less of an issue with a Capcom-published title). Basically they overpromised after the kickstarter blew up. I mean, the game was only supposed to have like 6 bosses and be on PC (and Xbox?) at the beginning. All that said, Iga managed to do it just fine and Bloodstained was awesome, so maybe Inafune really was out of his depth :P

FWIW, Legends was early days 3D so I'm not surprised it was a bit clunky. And pretty much all of the late X games were just trash in general. Mega Man could definitely work in 3D - I'm sure there are tons of examples of 3rd person shooters out there by now to illustrate a good way to do it. Also I never really hated how Legends did it either, just that, like I said, early PSX so a bit clunky as devs were still learning how to make 3D games in general.

Warlock82 on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I've been playing a lot of 30XX recently, and I've been totally sleeping on Nina's power fusion ability. But some of these combos are really potent.

Black hole + crystal wave = ridable platform
    Gear + tornado = aimable shots that persist in a large zone on hit (these can be rapid fired to chew through pretty much any non-boss)
    Tornado + fireball = tornado that can split into two moving tornados

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I've been playing a lot of 30XX recently, and I've been totally sleeping on Nina's power fusion ability. But some of these combos are really potent.

Black hole + crystal wave = ridable platform
    Gear + tornado = aimable shots that persist in a large zone on hit (these can be rapid fired to chew through pretty much any non-boss)
    Tornado + fireball = tornado that can split into two moving tornados

fireball + tornado makes a fireball that is a fountain of smaller fireballs!

also Negation Pulse + tornado is uh...goofy
    https://youtu.be/5pIjemYTZQg

Megaman X Dive is in early access in the android store. I gave up after a few minutes, but I might try it with a gamepad and see if it's any more palatable.

Oh are they actually bothering to release that in the US? I might try it out just to see what it plays like but I really can't afford (literally) to get into more gacha games :P

Curious what you think of it. It's completely unplayable to me.

Delzhand wrote: »
    Curious what you think of it. It's completely unplayable to me.

I'm sure I will hate it :P Mega Man was *not* meant to be played with a touch screen :P

• homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Looks like Canada's being left out, or least left out of early access. I've said my thought's on playing the Taiwan version earlier in the thread, but to reiterate it's gacha trash that I'm only keeping to look at the pretty models with canned animation and animated art in the character list. Speaking of, does the US version let you see all that without needing to "own" the character like in the Taiwan version?

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    30XX update added a ton of new (well, kinda) augs, some carried over from 20XX and some brand new ones added in an attempt to make aug choice less see attack, stack attack-esque

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    A fansite has dug up a complete timeline of Mega Man Universe's development and cancellation. Apparently it remained in development after Inafune left, but it was eventually cancelled because it was an absolute mess.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    A fansite has dug up a complete timeline of Mega Man Universe's development and cancellation. Apparently it remained in development after Inafune left, but it was eventually cancelled because it was an absolute mess.

This does not surprise me at all. As much as I was looking forward to that game, when they started showing it off at trade shows it looked ROUGH. I heard the physics of Mega Man were all janky too from people who played it.

It was a great idea tho in general. Capcom really should revisit the base idea and do a "Mega Maker" :P (I know there's a fan one but you know :P)

Shared this in the Nintendo Switch thread, but for the benefit of anyone not inclined to check there:

https://youtu.be/QbZhtN11le8

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Honest question; how is that relevant to the Nintendo Switch thread? It's a video of someone playing MMX6 on a PS1. Don't get me wrong, it's an interesting video, I'm just curious.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    We were discussing how crappy some of those later MMX games were in the Switch thread, so it was relevant to the topic being discussed. And MMX6 is available on Switch.

Ah, thanks.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    We were discussing how crappy some of those later MMX games were in the Switch thread, so it was relevant to the topic being discussed. And MMX6 is available on Switch.

This is a good heads up to make sure everyone is aware that it is there and no one buys it by accident.

Viskod wrote: »

This is a good heads up to make sure everyone is aware that it is there and no one buys it by accident.

I hear the first three X games are also on Switch. And Zero and ZX. Just pick one of those.

Viskod wrote: »

I was just saying over in the Switch thread that the MMX Legacy Collections are split up pretty conveniently with all the good games in Collection 1 and all the bad games in Collection 2.

*looks up which one has X4*

Holy shit, wow. They weren't even trying to balance the offerings there.

camo_sig2-400.png
    I'd argue X8 belongs with 1-4, but otherwise... yeah.