As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Oxygen Not Included] Breath of Fresh Air! (DLC in Early Access)

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Deep Freeze status is -18C, though I'm not sure how you'd automate waiting for that.

Going by Francis John's videos, stuff chilled to -18 or below and dumped into a vacuum will have zero decay.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    There's a conveyor temp sensor, so you could loop it inside a supercooled chamber until it froze, then spit it out into your main storage. Alternatively just supercool your main storage area.

• Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Ok, I think I had to go back to an earlier save and try to go a different direction. I ran out of coal in the area around me, and sadly my hatch farm hadn't gotten off the ground before the meat got taken, meaning that the breeding pair was fine, but the mid chamber (hold chamber for coal) didn't have enough in it before the eggs were being killed. So then I ran out of coal and my grid failed. As I mentioned earlier I have that Cool steam vent nearby, but am not sure what to do with it. What would be the next stage of power moving from coal? I haven't found oil yet, though I have dug a fair bit down but haven't hit/seen oil or natural gas. I have a dreko in a chamber by itself, one to the right of my base and one to the left. Any advice on how to best use them? I'm guessing my plastic or w/e but haven't really looked into it as of yet; was preoccupied with the hatch farm. My guys are still munching on meal live mainly as of my partial load save of being on Cycle 45.

My cool steam vent seems good? But not sure because it was taking soo long to analyze it and my researcher was getting beat up bad trying to do it. The stats that I know by clicking on it are 4698 g/s @110 degree C the eruption cycle is 304 s every 568s. Didn't get the activity cycle though.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Did you set up unpowered incubators to keep some eggs safe from drowning so they can hatch?

The goal should be to have several maxed out rooms for hatches.

Also, are your coal generators hooked up with automation wire to smart batteries so that they shut off when the batteries are at 80 or 90% full?

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Did you set up unpowered incubators to keep some eggs safe from drowning so they can hatch?

The goal should be to have several maxed out rooms for hatches.

Also, are your coal generators hooked up with automation wire to smart batteries so that they shut off when the batteries are at 80 or 90% full?

UNpowered? No. My set up now is a room for my 2 breeders, a room to the right with two incubators powered, and a third room to the right filled with water. The plan was to have this be a coal and meat farm. Coal being farmed in the middle and meat the right, with the left being the replenish room.

As far as the coal generators yes, they have a smart battery automation setup. I even have a heavy watt tunnel going up thru my base as a utility shaft with transformers on each floor feeding into the conductive wire (the 2k) wire. So I have the wiring set up just need more power, but am running low with no major supply nearby and the hatches not supplying enough.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Can you maybe screenshot some of your setups? Sounds odd that you're burning through that much coal that fast.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Incubators eat a lot of power that they don't need to; unpowered saves you a lot, but if you want to rush hatching the eggs, set up an automation link to a cycle timer. If you set the incubator to high priority and set the cycle to go on for say, 10% in the middle of the day, that's generally enough time for a dupe to come along and give it the buff. Once that's done you can kill the power again and it'll be fine for a cycle. All the benefit, 10% of the power use.

For multiple incubators, you can stagger the activations so they're not all on at the same time.

The problem with this (particularly on a large base) is that it creeps later and later as the dupes won't see a task until the previous buff wears off, so leaving it automated usually gets me two days with the buff and one without, repeat.

If you're willing to micro-manage, you can shift the timer's start forwards by 5/10% each day to stay ahead of it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Can you maybe screenshot some of your setups? Sounds odd that you're burning through that much coal that fast.

At work right now so can't screen shot. Well, I don't think its producing that much coal. The breeders and then I had the middle room have about 5 hatches and then it kill some eggs in the third about 2. I think it started the kill phase too early before the second room was saturated with hatches.
    klemming wrote: »
    Incubators eat a lot of power that they don't need to; unpowered saves you a lot, but if you want to rush hatching the eggs, set up an automation link to a cycle timer. If you set the incubator to high priority and set the cycle to go on for say, 10% in the middle of the day, that's generally enough time for a dupe to come along and give it the buff. Once that's done you can kill the power again and it'll be fine for a cycle. All the benefit, 10% of the power use.

For multiple incubators, you can stagger the activations so they're not all on at the same time.

The problem with this (particularly on a large base) is that it creeps later and later as the dupes won't see a task until the previous buff wears off, so leaving it automated usually gets me two days with the buff and one without, repeat.

If you're willing to micro-manage, you can shift the timer's start forwards by 5/10% each day to stay ahead of it.

I see. I'll look into that.

And what to do with the cool steam vent? It's left and down from my base. Not far I have a tunnel that leads there already.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

It's possible to do more complicated automation setups where the Incubator will stay on until a dupe's cuddled it, and then shut off - but you need to do some stuff with Pressure sensors and dupe detectors, and it's not very scaleable vs just having a room with a bunch hooked up to a timer.

• Options
    It's possible to do more complicated automation setups where the Incubator will stay on until a dupe's cuddled it, and then shut off - but you need to do some stuff with Pressure sensors and dupe detectors, and it's not very scaleable vs just having a room with a bunch hooked up to a timer.
    I tried to figure that out, but I couldn't figure out the automation logic. Might take another look at it, but I'm getting past the point where I want to ranch hatches anyway. I've got my two drekko ranches spinning up (regular with 8 inhabitants and glossy with just 1), but after that I think I'm going to want to focus on meat generation. I get the impression vole pups are the choice for that, so I'll have to figure that out.

I'm on cycle 180, and I finally managed to make my first scraps of steel.
    I've had big plans that have all been on hold because the heat was too much for me to handle; two natural gas vents that should solve my power generation requirements (but 150C gas would be too much for my pumps), and buried volcanos for copper, aluminum and cobalt.

Now I've got a bit of steel I should be able to make an industrial brick with a cooling loop (my currant setup just dumped all the hot liquid, but that wasn't going to be sustainable), which should let me make more steel, then hopefully I can start exploiting nature as god intended (the copper volcano's top of my list, as I'm running worryingly low on copper ore).

This is close to my personal record on progress; my previous pre-DLC base (made back in the Before Times before I lost interest) I had just managed to make a refinery with a pretty good cooling brick, so I'm moving into unfamiliar territory.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    May want to bump it up to 4 unpowered incubators.

You may also be overthinking it. Just have 4 full stables (7 max in each) with 2 auto-sweepers in each. One sweeper picks up all coal in the room and drops it into the room with your generators (no need to store it, just drop it and have an auto-sweeper there fill the generstors). The other sweeper picks up eggs and drops them in a tile of water. There the eggs will either hatch and evolve into meat, or if an incubator is empty the egg will get saved for hatching into a baby.

• Options
    How quickly do hatches spawn? How big should the stables be if it's 7 max each? My base has a main layout of 4 high.

• Options
    Max size of stable is 96 tiles. So that's 4x24. What you though is put a door and airflow tile on top of it about 5 or 6 spaces inside the real door leading in to the stable. That way the hatches stay on one end, as well as their products. Your auto-sweepers can then efficiently gather everything for you. In that small of a space, you can fit two auto-sweepers, two loaders, a drop off, a groomer station, a feeder and a storage bin for extra food. Dupes fill the storage and sweepers fill the feeder, plus hoover up coal and eggs.

• Options
    I see. Any diagrams/pictures? Having a slight issues visualizing it.

• Options
    Pretty much what FJ does in the video.

https://youtu.be/BUD71i3fvOA

I made mine I tile wider to accommodate a second sweeper.

• Options
    Thanks. I'll look into that. :)

• Options
    His setup takes care of the eggs, but if you expand it just slightly you can fit another conveyor loader to take the coal away separately.

• Options
    What are you feeding them? It better be either sandstone or sedimentary rock. Anything else and they won't produce maximum coal.

• Options
    What are you feeding them? It better be either sandstone or sedimentary rock. Anything else and they won't produce maximum coal.

Sandstone. But I think the issue was I only had 2 breeders, then had 3 other ones, then ate 2 eggs after they turned into meat. I don't think I had enough hatches. But I will address and build the new design for the ranches. Also, didn't know that with that design that you could put other stuff in the ranch space.

• Options
    Just make sure when you're putting stuff in it doesn't break it counting as a ranch - check your room overlay regularly!

For Hatches, you really want to feed them Sedimentary Rock if you can as this makes them produce Stone Hatch eggs. Stone Hatches are basically hatches, but they eat any kind of rock and poop it out as coal (at 50% conversion rate), which you will have a TON of. Just make sure you only feed your Stone Hatches rock - feeding them metal will result in them producing Smooth Hatches, who only eat metal... and poop out refined metal, but at a horribly inefficent conversion rate (75%) - this is better than just crushing metal into refined, and it's power free, but if you need metal fast, crush it, and if you need metal emass... It's vastly more productive and efficent to build a proper industry setup with cooling and everything else so you can use Metal Refineries.

Late game it might be worth keeping a couple of Sage Hatches around, since they eat organic stuff and they make good disposal engines. Though in general you can better send Polluted Dirt to Composts or Pokeshells, while Alagae goes to Pacu.

• Options
    It's vastly more productive and efficent to build a proper industry setup with cooling and everything else so you can use Metal Refineries.
    There's a huge hump in getting to that point, though. If you want to use refineries without a massive heat spike, you need plastics (which you can get from glossy drekkos which is its own pain), but you also need at least a decent chunk of oil for a decent coolant.

Getting that far down to find the oil and pumping it back up takes a fair amount of refined metals, so I've found smooth hatches to be a pretty useful stepping stone.

Once I have my industrial block set up they get to learn how to breathe underwater, but they've been worth the trouble for about hundred cycles.

• Options
    It's vastly more productive and efficent to build a proper industry setup with cooling and everything else so you can use Metal Refineries.
    There's a huge hump in getting to that point, though. If you want to use refineries without a massive heat spike, you need plastics (which you can get from glossy drekkos which is its own pain), but you also need at least a decent chunk of oil for a decent coolant.

Getting that far down to find the oil and pumping it back up takes a fair amount of refined metals, so I've found smooth hatches to be a pretty useful stepping stone.

Once I have my industrial block set up they get to learn how to breathe underwater, but they've been worth the trouble for about hundred cycles.

I mean, it depends on what you're doing and how you do it. I tend to just bum-rush refined metal with brute force, and if a few dupes get a bit crisped... eh, they heal and ice temp shift plates deal with the temp issues pretty effectively.

(For anyone wondering how that works - Ice temp shift plates have a ton of mass, quickly tuck in temp because they're tempshift plates, and promptly melt, dumping cold water on everything. Good way to emergency cool an area if you need).

Like a lot of these things, it's all about the tradeoffs you're willing to make - Metal Hatches take a bunch of time to come online and have implictly limited throughput, plus can accidentally your whole metal pile if you dont pay attention. On the otehr hand, they're heat free, give you meat and eggs in the proccess, and you will have gotten stone hatches along the way giving you easy access to coal which is an always useful power source.

Bumrushing things a metal refinery requires a much more fine grained knowledge of game mechanics, can go badly wrong with dupe injuries, and isnt a sustainble long term soloution until you have better coolant that wont flash to steam... Buuuuuttt it gives you very fine grained control and makes what can be a painful and lengthy step go pretty fast, and can be chained into shennagins like using your first batch of refined metal to make some suits, which then cuts down on temp worries and makes exploring that much easier.

tc.

it's all about the costs you're willing to pay.

• Options
    I found in the process of learning that it's fine to make a setup that won't work long term and will eventually break as long as you have a plan to replace it. For instance, all my oil, petroleum and plastic operations are down near the oil biome. I don't pump that up to the base because I don't want to bring the heat and my coolant loops are maxed out dealing with other things.

At first the refineries would overheat and need repairing, which isn't good. But that was only short term. I eventually used all that production to get steel to replace all those machines. Now they never overheat.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

I mean, it depends on what you're doing and how you do it. I tend to just bum-rush refined metal with brute force, and if a few dupes get a bit crisped... eh, they heal and ice temp shift plates deal with the temp issues pretty effectively.

(For anyone wondering how that works - Ice temp shift plates have a ton of mass, quickly tuck in temp because they're tempshift plates, and promptly melt, dumping cold water on everything. Good way to emergency cool an area if you need).

Like a lot of these things, it's all about the tradeoffs you're willing to make - Metal Hatches take a bunch of time to come online and have implictly limited throughput, plus can accidentally your whole metal pile if you dont pay attention. On the otehr hand, they're heat free, give you meat and eggs in the proccess, and you will have gotten stone hatches along the way giving you easy access to coal which is an always useful power source.

Bumrushing things a metal refinery requires a much more fine grained knowledge of game mechanics, can go badly wrong with dupe injuries, and isnt a sustainble long term soloution until you have better coolant that wont flash to steam... Buuuuuttt it gives you very fine grained control and makes what can be a painful and lengthy step go pretty fast, and can be chained into shennagins like using your first batch of refined metal to make some suits, which then cuts down on temp worries and makes exploring that much easier.

tc.

it's all about the costs you're willing to pay.

I usually save a pond of water for the first few metal refinery uses before going with a proper petroleum/cooling loop setup. As long as I'm drawing the water from the opposite end of where I'm dumping it back in, it won't flash to steam for the first 1kkg or so of refined metal I need for exosuits and ports, and like Captain Peacock, I just deal with repairing/rebuilding things in the oil biome until I can set up something that can make all the steel I need to replace them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    For metal production, I set up a very temporary refinery to just get enough steel to create a proper thermoaquatuner/steam turbine cooling loop. After that's all in place, youre well set for all the refined metals that you can eat.

• Options
    For metal production, I set up a very temporary refinery to just get enough steel to create a proper thermoaquatuner/steam turbine cooling loop. After that's all in place, youre well set for all the refined metals that you can eat.

Yeah, you really need a bit of steel and.. some for some suits to get your dupes down to il, and that's it.

I'm really looking foward to Spaced Out launching properly and seeing how that shakes things up.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    You can get early refined metal for suits from a rock crusher, so that actually can get some suits made relatively quickly. Those can be made from copper..

The only need for your first refinery is to make enough steel to completely replace itself with a refinery & cooling loop.

CaptainPeacock on
  • Options
    Finally got my first Refining Brick working (it really shouldn't take 10 cycles and 5 tries to get a good seal on the steam chamber, and yet), and I've somehow created two squares of inexplicable vacuum next to it:
    zcf090s7mieb.jpg
    There used to be an airlock there (back in the old days when this went somewhere I didn't want leaking into my base), and I think the game think's it's still there or something? Water was sitting on top of it too, so a built a tile under it so it was on the floor and not the wall and mopped it up. Then I deleted the tile, but the vacuum remains.

Is this a known thing?

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I should probably try to set up a “proper” cooling sometime. I’ve just got a cool slush geyser near my base that I use a lot in a completely kludged together fashion.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Max size of stable is 96 tiles. So that's 4x24. What you though is put a door and airflow tile on top of it about 5 or 6 spaces inside the real door leading in to the stable. That way the hatches stay on one end, as well as their products. Your auto-sweepers can then efficiently gather everything for you. In that small of a space, you can fit two auto-sweepers, two loaders, a drop off, a groomer station, a feeder and a storage bin for extra food. Dupes fill the storage and sweepers fill the feeder, plus hoover up coal and eggs.

Out of curiosity, why two autosweepers?

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

Out of curiosity, why two autosweepers?

Positioning if I remember. I could reconfigure to make do with 1 feeding both loaders. Doesn't really matter too much because they only use power when they are activated.

• Options
    Alright. Dug down a chunk last night and found 2 salt water geysers. So that means that I have thus far found that cool steam vent and now these 2 salt water geysers. Think I might be set in regards to water, just need to setup the systems to utilize them properly.

• Options
    Alright. Dug down a chunk last night and found 2 salt water geysers. So that means that I have thus far found that cool steam vent and now these 2 salt water geysers. Think I might be set in regards to water, just need to setup the systems to utilize them properly.

Beware the heat. If that water comes out hot, and likely it does, you'll need a reliable way to cool it down or it will cook your base over time.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Stranded rockets can now be evacuated using the “ABANDON SHIP” sequence. This will cause the rocket to explode. Any Duplicants on board will be launched towards the nearest discovered asteroid in a high speed Escape Pod. Some of the resources aboard will follow in the form of Spacecraft Debris.

THANK
    FUCKING
    GOD

I've had a abandoned rocket (abandoned because everyone on board died when it ran out of gas and eventually oxygen) sitting in my colony list for AGES, and there was no way to get rid of it. Nice that you can at least get some of the materials back.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    ...Okay, this just happened. So I blew that rocket up, and somehow the DEAD dupes were loaded into escape pods, and when they arrived as debris they were alive again.

EDIT: One of them crashed in a REALLY bad spot, though.

m0i03ow4tp2a.jpg

EDIT 2: I guess this was the universe's way to make sure there weren't two Camille's on one planet.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options

Beware the heat. If that water comes out hot, and likely it does, you'll need a reliable way to cool it down or it will cook your base over time.

Ya I know. Luckily I suppose that both of the geysers are around 50-60 tiles down minimum, and are either left/right of my base borders by around 20 blocks.

• Options
    Things I wasn't expecting to say: Where the hell did this nuclear waste come from?

I've got a radbolt collector spitting at a research thing, but that's all the radiation stuff I'm messing with at the moment.

• Options

Ya I know. Luckily I suppose that both of the geysers are around 50-60 tiles down minimum, and are either left/right of my base borders by around 20 blocks.

The danger isn't the heat from the geysers. It's the heat from the water. You pump hot water into your base and you can kiss any crops goodbye.

• Options
    Things I wasn't expecting to say: Where the hell did this nuclear waste come from?

I've got a radbolt collector spitting at a research thing, but that's all the radiation stuff I'm messing with at the moment.

I think if the research terminal is full on radbolts and another one gets shot at it, it'll pass through and when it hits the wall and explodes will leave nuclear waste behind.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »

I think if the research terminal is full on radbolts and another one gets shot at it, it'll pass through and when it hits the wall and explodes will leave nuclear waste behind.

Hmm. Is there way to automate that so it doesn't happen? I can't see one. I'm just hooking the collector up to a cycle timer for now (the easiest way to turn things on and off without needing a dupe to get to them that I've found).