As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] Rumor has it there are GPU's in the wild

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    A Tom's hardware article states its power draw(5700g) at 65w and 85w boosted. I think that psu will prob be enough.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    So I'm sure you all know this, but my wife read on a Reddit thread last Friday that Zotac will put up their cards for "retail" prices randomly during the evening and nights. Last night she was bored and happened to click on their site on her phone and was greeted to a queue. We hopped into our desktops and joined the queue. Found out that people were saying that means they put up some good cards. The queue ended before we got in but we loaded the page to see what is there. Found that there were some 3060Ti cards left so she finally landed a new card. It says it is shipping. I also think I got one ordered but didn't read the fine print which says only 1 purchase per household every 2 weeks. So most likely mine will be cancelled, but just glad she landed one.

Now we don't have to enter in on the Newegg Shuffle unless I want a 3070 or 3080.

Edit: Holy monkeys. Mine actually shipped as well. I'm assuming that is because the Universe knew I didn't really want a 3060Ti but the FOMO is real and I bought it in case I'll never be able to buy another card when I do need one. Here's the link to the Zotac site for anybody who wants to try yourself: https://www.zotacstore.com/us/graphics-cards

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    qwer12 wrote: »
    So my 9 year old computer is dying, so I decided to just build a temporary budget computer for gaming and work. I'm planning to forgo a video card and just go for a ryzen 5700g. Build will look something like this:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700G
    Mobo: ASRock B550M-ITX/ac
    RAM: 16 GB 3200mhz
    Memory: 1 TB Gen 4 SSD
    Case: In Win Chopin Pro
    PSU: 200w

Based on what I've read, the 5700g should be enough since I'll mostly be playing older games and sticking to 1080p. Most graphic intensive games I can see myself playing are the yakuza games I got from humble bundle, but I think those are playable at low from what I read. I only intend for this build to last for a year or two, before building a new high end PC (hopefully by then zen 4 will becoming out). My only concern is if 200w is enough for the build. The case comes with the psu, and I'm really hoping it's enough since I want to save some money. If it's not enough and I have to get a separate one, then I'll probably change the case as well to something with a similar form factor but no psu.

You might also be served well by something like: https://store.minisforum.com/products/hx90

Especially if you don't intend to upgrade this thing.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    So my 9 year old computer is dying, so I decided to just build a temporary budget computer for gaming and work. I'm planning to forgo a video card and just go for a ryzen 5700g. Build will look something like this:

Based on what I've read, the 5700g should be enough since I'll mostly be playing older games and sticking to 1080p. Most graphic intensive games I can see myself playing are the yakuza games I got from humble bundle, but I think those are playable at low from what I read. I only intend for this build to last for a year or two, before building a new high end PC (hopefully by then zen 4 will becoming out). My only concern is if 200w is enough for the build. The case comes with the psu, and I'm really hoping it's enough since I want to save some money. If it's not enough and I have to get a separate one, then I'll probably change the case as well to something with a similar form factor but no psu.

You might also be served well by something like: https://store.minisforum.com/products/hx90

That's... really awesome. My partner is looking at getting a gaming laptop to do some light gaming. Much beefier than this but also more than double the cost of this. That gaming performance they showed looks okay, though it's obviously not saying what settings they were running at. I wonder if we will get more detailed gaming benchmarks.

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Actually got selected a Newegg shuffle today for a 3080 + a PSU combo. Went into a discord I frequent and someone there also got selected for a 3080 and someone else for a 3070. Kinda makes me wonder if Newegg is either getting more supply, or if they maybe finally implemented something to filter out bots from the shuffle entries? Last I heard you had a better chance of getting struck by lightning than getting picked in a shuffle because of how many entries they were getting.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    Actually got selected a Newegg shuffle today for a 3080 + a PSU combo. Went into a discord I frequent and someone there also got selected for a 3080 and someone else for a 3070. Kinda makes me wonder if Newegg is either getting more supply, or if they maybe finally implemented something to filter out bots from the shuffle entries? Last I heard you had a better chance of getting struck by lightning than getting picked in a shuffle because of how many entries they were getting.

My guess would just be better supply and some of the air going out of the scalping market / people eventually finding cards. If scalpers aren't as ridiculously priced there is less FOMO and people will pass on the $1600 bundle (like myself last week when I got a shot at 3080 + $400 mobo) but decided that was just too much to justify.

• qwer12qwer12 PhilippinesRegistered User regular

That looks really interesting, thanks for this. I may just get this since it seems overall cheaper based on the initial pricing I did for the build, especially since it already comes with windows.

steam_sig.png

PSN: jrrl_absent
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    CPU Air Cooler question.

The cooler I'm looking at weighs 1.3kg. That's heavy. The other coolers I see recommended weight similar amounts.

Won't that weight eventually damage the motherboard, the same way heavy video cards end up sagging?

-Loki- on
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Air Cooler question.

The cooler I'm looking at weighs 1.3kg. That's heavy. The other coolers I see recommended weight similar amounts.

Won't that weight eventually damage the motherboard, the same way heavy video cards end up sagging?

Those coolers use always use a backplate to help distribute the load. I wouldn’t drop test your PC with one installed but they are better supported than GPUs, and assuming you don’t over tighten the mounting screws it should stay in place indefinitely.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Gamers Nexus gets a Gigabyte PSU to blow in 12 minutes live

https://youtu.be/7JmPUr-BeEM

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Although if you are spending the money for a chonky air cooler, might be better off going with an AIO cooling system.

Even the cheap ones compete with the good air coolers.

But I wouldn't sweat the weight of a cooler or buy one based on weight (either more or less). Follow the prices and the reviews and if you dont have a weird use case (prosumer who rides an ATV down five miles of two-track daily) whatever you buy should be fine as long as you aren't bottom of barrel. And if not deal with it when you have a problem.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Although if you are spending the money for a chonky air cooler, might be better off going with an AIO cooling system.

Even the cheap ones compete with the good air coolers.

But I wouldn't sweat the weight of a cooler or buy one based on weight (either more or less). Follow the prices and the reviews and if you dont have a weird use case (prosumer who rides an ATV down five miles of two-track daily) whatever you buy should be fine as long as you aren't bottom of barrel. And if not deal with it when you have a problem.

AIO coolers aren't any quieter, and they don't have any better performance if you're willing to spend $100.

The reason to go AIO is if you want to/you move your case around a lot and don't want to worry about motherboard pressure/you like the RGB.

Performance isn't really a factor unless you're overclocking massively and using a 420mm rad with a pump to match.

edited August 2021
    Something I've learned from buying a gaming laptop because the portability appealed to me is I'm never going to move this thing outside of moving house or maybe getting a new desk. I just never ended up moving my laptop much (I moved it to the living room for one particularly hot summer about 5m away) but otherwise this thing has essentially remained glued to my desk. It's staying put.

-Loki- on
    edited August 2021
    You know, I never really considered an AIO cooler. I've always had a bit of paranoia around running water near electronics.

I'm guessing they're fairly reliable these days? My case has space for 2 140mm fans in the top which I was planning on using as an exhaust, but I could also put an AIO radiator there.

-Loki- on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Gamers Nexus gets a Gigabyte PSU to blow in 12 minutes live

https://youtu.be/7JmPUr-BeEM

Gigabyte really needs to recall all those PSU's (and give me a replacement that won't explode!).

edited August 2021
    You know, I never really considered an AIO cooler. I've always had a bit of paranoia around running water near electronics.

I'm guessing they're fairly reliable these days? My case has space for 2 140mm fans in the top which I was planning on using as an exhaust, but I could also put an AIO radiator there.

They're reliable, but represent one more failure mode. They do slowly dry out, so in five years time you may want to consider replacement.

In general they're more expensive for equivalent performance thermally, and worse performance accoustically. After having used one for the last two years, I wouldn't bother again unless the case dimensions necessitated it. There are some cool RGB options for AIOs though, so if that's your thing that may be reason enough.

Or unless I was going to go completely balls out and do an open loop, but that would be stupid unless I planned on taking my overclock to the limit, and really, who can be bothered?

Orca on
    Nah I'm not doing any RGB, and the air cooler I was looking at is meant to be super quiet. So I'll probably just stick with that.

edited August 2021
    AIOs look sweet, so they have that going for them. There's only so much you can do with an enormous chunk of copper and aluminum with one or two fans strapped to it.

Orca on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    TBH, for gaming, how many games really stress out the CPU enough that you need that much cooling anyway?

On the other hand, next time the evga hybrid kit is available, I'm going to be pickign that up, since I'm tired of my 3080 somehow hitting 80C even on not as demanding games like Warframe

steam_sig.png
    Spoit wrote: »
    TBH, for gaming, how many games really stress out the CPU enough that you need that much cooling anyway?

On the other hand, next time the evga hybrid kit is available, I'm going to be pickign that up, since I'm tired of my 3080 somehow hitting 80C even on not as demanding games like Warframe

At issue is that they just can't dissipate more wattage than a tower cooler unless you buy a 360 or 420mm rad with a relatively high speed pump. The 280mm rad couldn't pull heat away faster than the IHS could transmit it when running the i9 9900K flat out at something like 150 watts TDP sustained. An NH-D15 can handle 220 watts TDP.

For whatever reason, radiator makers don't advertise maximum TDP, which makes me suspicious.

With a 5800X, what cooler would you guys recommend, considering I’m not into overclocking so it’s just going to be running stock.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    With a 5800X, what cooler would you guys recommend, considering I’m not into overclocking so it’s just going to be running stock.

Stock for Ryzen CPU's will naturally boost as high, for as long, as their cooling will allow within their silicon limits. The are much more like GPU's than classic CPU's in terms of boosting behavior. It means that there is actually little OC headroom on the CPU's anyway, and that better cooling generally = more better. For the 5800X I'd look at a good tower air cooler or a 240/280+ AIO.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Stock for Ryzen CPU's will naturally boost as high, for as long, as their cooling will allow within their silicon limits. The are much more like GPU's than classic CPU's in terms of boosting behavior. It means that there is actually little OC headroom on the CPU's anyway, and that better cooling generally = more better. For the 5800X I'd look at a good tower air cooler or a 240/280+ AIO.

This is the one I was looking at, though had reservations on it being like 1.3kg.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    I just put a noctua NH-U12S on mine and really liked it. Fairly simple install, pretty quiet.

That cooler looks a lot more reasonable.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    the trick to air cooling is to buy a noctua

best company

• Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Large air coolers like the noctua d15 aren't a problem at all and are very effective.

The noctua u12 according to tests is a really good cooler and will handle a 5800 no problem.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Honestly the best thing about an AIO is the noise reduction

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

While true, Noctua fans are pretty damn quiet. I'm not sure I know what my D15 sounds like.

Certainly more quiet than the 3 fans attached to the AIO?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    The Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B is another good affordable option. Add another Kaze Flex 120mm Fan for $14 and you have something for almost half the price of the top tier dual fan coolers that performs 95% as well.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I think Noctuas run quieter than AIO's, since AIO's still have a pump and 2-3 fans.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Like let's get real here, the real downside to Noctua air coolers is you lose the RGB bling and as a Noctua air cooler owner I totally get and feel that.

I personally prefer having a big fucking thing strapped to my CPU that looks like it belongs at NASA, but RGB bling is pretty great and I just cannot fault anyone for opting for that.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • useruser Registered User regular
    I have a really mixed set up in my LL-O11 Dynamic. Basically I have a custom loop with a slim 360mm rad that just cools the CPU. And the other 6x 120mm fans are there to take care of everything else, including the GPU.

I was really new to custom water cooling and to be honest, I was really negligent about maintenance. Thankfully the fluid I used was true to its spec sheet and lasted the whole 3 years without any issues -- I replaced the coolant earlier this year, and while it did stain some components, all of that cleared up by running some distilled water and white vinegar for a couple days.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Like let's get real here, the real downside to Noctua air coolers is you lose the RGB bling and as a Noctua air cooler owner I totally get and feel that.

I personally prefer having a big fucking thing strapped to my CPU that looks like it belongs at NASA, but RGB bling is pretty great and I just cannot fault anyone for opting for that.

You see, that's a positive for me. The only things that should continuously glow and change colors are my monitor and maybe mouse/keyboard.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I mean... if you want to skimp on RGB, that's your choice, but I'm not sure why anyone would voluntarily gimp their PC's performance like that. :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I mean... if you want to skimp on RGB, that's your choice, but I'm not sure why anyone would voluntarily gimp their PC's performance like that. :razz:

I still remember the days when blue LEDs were all the rage. Heck, even older... non white (or beige) computer cases!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7

Empirically, they are louder, not quieter, than an equivalent air cooler.

This is the main reason why I went back to air cooling after trying it out.

AIO's are the way to go for small form factor builds.

There isn't much difference in performance these days, I think AIO's have the ability to remain below heat equilibrium longer than air cooling which can help with heat spikes but after an hour or two the shits essentially the same.

If you want actual balls to the wall watercooling performance you need a custom loop, which I feel are not worth the extra effort to maintain for 99.9% of people.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    AIO = nothing wrong with it, personal preference though really.
    Custom Loop = a hobby, expect to invest time and money for no return other than personal satisfaction.

I might do a custom loop on my new build sometime like my previous, but it's definitely not under any illusions of performance or gains.

OrokosPA.png
  • useruser Registered User regular
    I dunno, you could argue AIO Liquid Coolers have a set life-time and afterwards you have to replace them. Whereas with a custom loop with some best practices you can reuse every part for a looong time.

This discussion has been closed.