As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come talk about the Jaguar, 3DO and Gex in the [Retro Games] Thread

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Hellgate London is probably the first thing you'd recognize as a modern looter shooter way back in 2007, though I've played other similar but not quite the same kind of games since a long while back. I'd say that genre is mostly iterative.

Same with walking sims, since Myst is right there.

Battle royale is pretty new if we ignore the novel/movie the entire concept was codified by. Shrinking map and all. Though hell I think they made a Btoom game about 8 (edit: correction 5 years) years ago or something.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Well of course it was easier to create new genres when the medium was new and none of the genres existed yet. I'm sorry they're not still re-inventing the wheel over and over again 40 years later. Geez.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Initially, I wanted to say I consider retro to be a home console with cartridges or the first round of 3D gameplay (PS1 era). However, my wife and I were just talking about this because we were buying a Dreamcast and debating if that was now a retro system. I think it could be considered retro because a 20-year old right now was born after its release and likely never played one - and so that sort of becomes my cutoff. If a current college kid wouldn't have owned it, it's might be fair to call it retro.

With that said, I think it also depends on what you think the word Retro is. Retro can be a definition of breaking up the generations of consoles - so anything Dreamcast and earlier might be called Retro on a website of a company selling used games and they might label XB360 to present as Modern. However, Retro could also be taken as a style - I know I've seen games like Shovel Knight or Bloodstained Curse of the Moon described as retro platformers. So in that case, I suppose you'd have to broaden the definition a bit to be "Belonging to any system through the 2nd generation of 3D consoles (XBox, Cube, Dreamcast, PS2) or a game created in their style using limited graphics or gameplay mechanics."

Speaking of which - the Dreamcast showed up last night in a completely smooshed box. Thank god the kid was working so I could open it and test it. Turns out, they had it professionally packed at the UPS store, so it was all these nice layers of shrink-wrapped games and pieces, but they hadn't really done anything for box filler so it had collapsed under the weight of other stuff. Completely not the seller's fault, they probably paid good money for it to be packaged so nicely (but I was snapping pictures at every phase of unboxing it!)

It works great - although Vigilante 8 doesn't support the HDMI adaptor, that's probably not a biggie. I do need to buy some replacement jewel cases, but I tested both controllers, the VMU, and the other 4 games (House of the Dead, Crazy Taxi, Sonic and THPS2) and they all played great and looked awesome on HDMI. The last time I played a DC was on a 27" CRT, Crazy Taxi especially looks amazing on a modern TV.

Are there any games folks might recommend I pick up so I could still have 5 games to go with the system that would be a relatively cheap game to grab? Obviously, I know there are some awesome games to pick up down the road that are on the pricier side, but any common stuff (non-sports) that would be a nice final game?

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Dirty wrote: »
    I'm sorry they're not still re-inventing the wheel over and over again 40 years later. Geez.

Actually, "Reinventing the wheel" is a pretty good descriptor for the modern AAA iterative "we have to copy whatever sells instead of trying anything new or interesting because games cost a hundred million dollars to make now" market.
    Are there any games folks might recommend I pick up so I could still have 5 games to go with the system that would be a relatively cheap game to grab? Obviously, I know there are some awesome games to pick up down the road that are on the pricier side, but any common stuff (non-sports) that would be a nice final game?

Metropolis Street Racer and Test Drive Le Mans are both pretty fun if you are up for a racing game. Also, Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation had its definitive version on the Dreamcast if you guys are into TR games.

SmokeStacks on
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Whatever "retro gaming" is, the "retro gaming community" is effectively built around dead systems. Going back to play stuff that isn't current, systems who have near zero new commercial games attention. You get any more specific and you're just getting hung up on your own era. (Retro has to use carts/CDs? Really? What are floppy disks for?)

The only people who talk about playing Dreamcast today are "retro" enthusiasts. Because its a long dead system. That's the same for PS3 and 360 and even Wii U. Whether gameplay has evolved an inch isn't relevant if people are scouring e-bay or emulators to access hardware that isn't sold new anymore.

The live systems all have their own threads, this is the catch-all graveyard.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The lack of change between X4 and X8 isn't because of the era, it's because Capcom burgled all the senior staff for games like Resident Evil, which were massive innovative, industry shaking games in themselves. This idea that old games were innovative and newer games aren't is not even rose colored glasses, it's just false.

No, I said the retro era was innovative, and it was, because we saw an absolute explosion of technology and genres. Just because Capcom put out a new Megaman game every year for six years doesn't mean that other developers weren't innovating.

How many new genres have been created in the last decade that didn't exist in the retro era? Looter shooter, battle royale, and walking simulator?

Were Contra, Mario, and Metroid all different genres? They kind of became different genres as time went on, but they're all also clearly 2D platformers. Likewise, many people would argue that battle royale is no more a new genre than Oddball was when introduced in Halo. I just don't find it super useful to categorize things in that way.

I just don't find it super useful to categorize things in that way.

Well that's just like, your opinion, man.

If it's the true Dreamcast experience, you need one of those games like Time Stalker where it's not really bad, not really good, just this wishy washy kind of thing they put out when they couldn't quite grok what they wanted to do with this new fangled box.

steam_sig.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Totally seconding the Metropolis Street Racer and Test Drive Le Mans recommendations, cracking pair of games. MSR would later spawn the Project Gotham Racing series on the Xbox (and Xbox 360), and TDLM is still to date probably the best recreation of one of the world's most famous races, with a full day/night cycle (which can actually be accelerated so you can do the full day/night cycle in I think it's something like 15 minutes), it's absolutely awesome.

Even though it's not much older than PS2 or Gamecube, Dreamcast feels way more retro. Since it was pretty much dead before that generation really took off, most of its games seem closer to PS1 levels of scale and refinement. (Though significantly less ugly.)

I don't have numbers to back it up, but I feel like there were significantly more DC-PS1 multiplats than there were DC-PS2 ones.

It would be interesting to see the amount compared to the number of Saturn games that were ported to the PS2 (surprisingly there were a bunch).

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

I'm going to suggest:
    -- Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium 2001
    -- Gauntlet Legends
    -- Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes
    -- Power Stone (#1 and/or #2)

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Initially, I wanted to say I consider retro to be a home console with cartridges or the first round of 3D gameplay (PS1 era). However, my wife and I were just talking about this because we were buying a Dreamcast and debating if that was now a retro system. I think it could be considered retro because a 20-year old right now was born after its release and likely never played one - and so that sort of becomes my cutoff. If a current college kid wouldn't have owned it, it's might be fair to call it retro.

With that said, I think it also depends on what you think the word Retro is. Retro can be a definition of breaking up the generations of consoles - so anything Dreamcast and earlier might be called Retro on a website of a company selling used games and they might label XB360 to present as Modern. However, Retro could also be taken as a style - I know I've seen games like Shovel Knight or Bloodstained Curse of the Moon described as retro platformers. So in that case, I suppose you'd have to broaden the definition a bit to be "Belonging to any system through the 2nd generation of 3D consoles (XBox, Cube, Dreamcast, PS2) or a game created in their style using limited graphics or gameplay mechanics."

Speaking of which - the Dreamcast showed up last night in a completely smooshed box. Thank god the kid was working so I could open it and test it. Turns out, they had it professionally packed at the UPS store, so it was all these nice layers of shrink-wrapped games and pieces, but they hadn't really done anything for box filler so it had collapsed under the weight of other stuff. Completely not the seller's fault, they probably paid good money for it to be packaged so nicely (but I was snapping pictures at every phase of unboxing it!)

It works great - although Vigilante 8 doesn't support the HDMI adaptor, that's probably not a biggie. I do need to buy some replacement jewel cases, but I tested both controllers, the VMU, and the other 4 games (House of the Dead, Crazy Taxi, Sonic and THPS2) and they all played great and looked awesome on HDMI. The last time I played a DC was on a 27" CRT, Crazy Taxi especially looks amazing on a modern TV.

No idea the cost now, but Chu Chu Rocket is a fun puzzle game.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    Sega swirl online multiplayer via email is still one of my most amusing DC memories.

steam_sig.png
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    If you like Gundam stuff or just want to play a good in-cockpit giant mech game on the Dreamcast Gundam Side Story 0079: Rise From the Ashes is pretty great. They haven't really made another game like it since.

Also Maken X.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    anoffday wrote: »
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I was born in the 8-bit era, at 343.05ppm of CO2.

I put this Pi Zero W kit together a while ago:
    0dm8kjth2xhy.jpg
    Plays everything you could ever want, but I mostly use it to play Quake and SNES games. It eats batteries for breakfast, lunch and dinner though, and I've forgotten what I did with the custom USB power cable.

Is Skyrim a retro game now? My four year old nephew would probably think of it as a retro game.

Came out during the 360 days, so I'm inclined to actually say yes?

Except for the fact that they re-release it for every new system, so because of that maybe not so much.
    Goddamnit, speak of the devil; Bethesda just fucking announced yet another new version of Skyrim! 'Anniversary Edition'! It's like my Skyrim-sense* was tingling! :lol:
    *Like Spiderman but much lamer. :lol:

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    Thanks for all the ideas. Guess I'll go shopping this weekend! Greedily Gauntlet may be involved because I want to play it again.

Thanks for all the ideas. Guess I'll go shopping this weekend! Greedily Gauntlet may be involved because I want to play it again.

LINDSAY SHOT THE FOOD

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Even though it's not much older than PS2 or Gamecube, Dreamcast feels way more retro. Since it was pretty much dead before that generation really took off, most of its games seem closer to PS1 levels of scale and refinement. (Though significantly less ugly.)

I'm still mad at Sega for not announcing the Dreamcast 2 back on 9/9/09. Now our next best shot is 9/9/99 again and unfortunately I don't think I'll make that date this time.

Steam: offday
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Absolutely spend an hour to watch this whole video regarding all the bullshit and fraud with the crazy rise in sealed retro game prices:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvLFEh7V18A

I had known about this as a podcast I listen to has followed this basically near the beginning, but so many details we didn't know are discovered in this video. Definitely worth your time.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    I feel like the majority of people that are falling for it will never see that video or hear that podcast or see all the posts on Twitter and Reddit calling this shit out. I feel like the only thing collectors can really do at this point is ride it out and refuse to pay the ridiculous prices.

It's a very interesting video and the research seemed solid. Fortunately, we don't collect boxed/sealed, but we've definitely been hit by everyone thinking the high eBay sale is what they should be selling for. It would be nice to see if enough push could remove the grading guy as an "Expert" on Pawn Stars - I'd assume there are plenty of gaming shops around Vegas whose owner could come in as the "let me call a guy".

On loose games, I do think other factors hurt too - most obviously COVID keeping people home to play and shop online, but also the high profile Youtubers/celebrities getting into streaming old games or sparking the Pokemon card bubble which impacted the game prices too.

With that said, I just bought two sealed games myself. I saw that I could get Clerks and Dogma on UMD sealed for $10 each, and I couldn't resist. I personally am going to burst the bubble by opening them though.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I'm probably too easy to impress, but to this day I still think the PSP and GBA SP screens look pretty great.

The Neo geo pocket was magical back an epoch ago

Brainleech wrote: »
    I'm probably too easy to impress, but to this day I still think the PSP and GBA SP screens look pretty great.

The Neo geo pocket was magical back an epoch ago

For a non-illuminated LCD circa late '90s, it looked fantastic.

• MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Despite all the advances in technology since then, I still find myself returning to the NES/SNES library because of just how enjoyable many of the games were. There was something good to be said about the more stringent requirements Nintendo enforced for their seal of approval process.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    If it's the true Dreamcast experience, you need one of those games like Time Stalker where it's not really bad, not really good, just this wishy washy kind of thing they put out when they couldn't quite grok what they wanted to do with this new fangled box.

Time Stalkers is actually just good.

Zonugal wrote: »

I'm going to suggest:
    -- Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium 2001
    -- Gauntlet Legends
    -- Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes
    -- Power Stone (#1 and/or #2)

I think MvC2 and maybe CvS2 fall into the 'expensive' category.

I'd recommend some lesser known titles:
    Zombie Revenge
    Armada
    Dynamite Cop
    Gunbird 2

Also, just like with Skies of Arcadia and Phantasy Star Online, you can also find very good Dreamcast RPG Evolution on the Gamecube.

uyvfOQy.png
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    It's a very interesting video and the research seemed solid. Fortunately, we don't collect boxed/sealed, but we've definitely been hit by everyone thinking the high eBay sale is what they should be selling for. It would be nice to see if enough push could remove the grading guy as an "Expert" on Pawn Stars - I'd assume there are plenty of gaming shops around Vegas whose owner could come in as the "let me call a guy".

On loose games, I do think other factors hurt too - most obviously COVID keeping people home to play and shop online, but also the high profile Youtubers/celebrities getting into streaming old games or sparking the Pokemon card bubble which impacted the game prices too.

With that said, I just bought two sealed games myself. I saw that I could get Clerks and Dogma on UMD sealed for $10 each, and I couldn't resist. I personally am going to burst the bubble by opening them though.

It's ironic now that collectors of sealed games are looking out for pricing stickers/ labels from retailers etc. The item many have complained for decades about when buying games is actually what helps keep value.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Ziggymon wrote: »

It's ironic now that collectors of sealed games are looking out for pricing stickers/ labels from retailers etc. The item many have complained for decades about when buying games is actually what helps keep value.

I've heard that for nes games especially, collectors also look for the tab on the actual box where it would hang on a display. Not sure of the correct term here or if that's true. Seems like an odd thing to look out for.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
    edited August 2021
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    Despite all the advances in technology since then, I still find myself returning to the NES/SNES library because of just how enjoyable many of the games were. There was something good to be said about the more stringent requirements Nintendo enforced for their seal of approval process.

Unless you're talking about the e-shop I can't agree at all. It's difficult to find too many retail Switch games as bad as the worst NES carts, and its kind of a pointless excercise because you don't want to play either.

"Seal of quality" was basically that it worked, and it met Nintendo's ridiculous "5 games a year" limits and such. To get to that shining coast of retro classics, there was still an utter sea of garbage that you've somehow navigated past and forgotten, though the AVGN can easily catch you up.

rahkeesh2000 on
    Yeah, when people think back to the NES/SNES era, they think of games like Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Metroid, A Link to the Past. They don't think about Flying Warriors or X-Men, and the rest of the mountain of turds that came out.

It's the same with how so many people talk about how music and movies were so much better back in [insert any previous decade] because they're comparing everything out now, good or bad, to the classics of yesteryear that have withstood the test of time.

• DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Has anybody experience with Final Fantasy Chronicles on a PAL Wii with GBA - GC connectivity? I have a original Nintendo GBA cable. I tried Wind Waker and ofc Crystal Chronicles but the GBA won’t connect. Original GameCube Controller works fine on all ports. I tried two different Wii consoles both which have backwards compatibility. Is there a limitation with PAL systems? I wanted this setup for couch koop. Maybe the GBA is the culprit.

Dratatoo on
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    Has anybody experience with Final Fantasy Chronicles on a PAL Wii with GBA - GC connectivity? I have a original Nintendo GBA cable. I tried Wind Waker and ofc Crystal Chronicles but the GBA won’t connect. Original GameCube Controller works fine on all ports. I tried two different Wii consoles both which have backwards compatibility. Is there a limitation with PAL systems? I wanted this setup for couch koop. Maybe the GBA is the culprit.

I'm not sure about PAL but I don't have any issues with my US wii and gba link + crystal chronicles.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I don't agree with this interpretation, there were 6 Mega Man games on the NES. Iteration started from day one. Ms. Pac-Man was a slightly improved sequel to Pac-Man!

Of course Capcom was cranking out cookie cutter sequels, that was their jam (just look at the 83 different versions of Street Fighter 2 they released). But still, in 1987 to 1997 you saw the transition between Megaman and Megaman X4. Even back then, when they were iterating, they were still seeing major changes. You went from a slow game played via a series of single screen encounters to a fast paced smooth scrolling game with voiced dialogue, cutscenes, and multiple playable characters. The technology was changing so quickly that you were able to see big fundamental changes in gameplay between subsequent games in the same franchise. Compare the technical difference between Megaman and Megaman X4 to the difference between Megaman X4 and Megaman X8 (which is basically shinier graphics and some rail sections added).

Even Ms. Pac Man had some big technical changes, like the addition of multiple mazes (instead of the single maze that the original had), more complex AI, primitive cutscenes, and more animation.

I think quite often the changes that Capcom made to SF II would today have been released as DLC for a specific version. To many sequels to a competitive game splits the playerbase.

Yeah, when people think back to the NES/SNES era, they think of games like Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Metroid, A Link to the Past. They don't think about Flying Warriors or X-Men, and the rest of the mountain of turds that came out.

It's the same with how so many people talk about how music and movies were so much better back in [insert any previous decade] because they're comparing everything out now, good or bad, to the classics of yesteryear that have withstood the test of time.

It's funny how many of the games that we all seemed to own are definitely garbage now. Top Gun seemed to be in everyone's collection, and it sucked. Hydlide popped up a bunch, to the point it got sequels, and it's terrible. Wrestlemania and Tag Team Wrestling were in a bunch of collections of my friends, and neither of them is as good as Pro Wrestling (or Techmo World Wrestling). Even "classics" like Ice Climbers and Kid Icarus really haven't aged well, but I think because they felt so new, they got a pass for a long time. I feel like movie/TV games were far more commonly purchased too - I know Total Recall, Fester's Quest, and Platoon were in a bunch of my friend's collections and they are rough to try to enjoy now.

I am surprised how fun some sports games have remained (and are crazy cheap) - Double Dribble, Blades of Steel and (my favorite) Super Spike V'Ball are all still really fun to pick up for a few rounds. Hell, Super Spike V'Ball I would argue is still the best beach volleyball game - or at least tied with Sega Beach Spikers on the Cube.

edited August 2021
    Heffling wrote: »
    I don't agree with this interpretation, there were 6 Mega Man games on the NES. Iteration started from day one. Ms. Pac-Man was a slightly improved sequel to Pac-Man!

Of course Capcom was cranking out cookie cutter sequels, that was their jam (just look at the 83 different versions of Street Fighter 2 they released). But still, in 1987 to 1997 you saw the transition between Megaman and Megaman X4. Even back then, when they were iterating, they were still seeing major changes. You went from a slow game played via a series of single screen encounters to a fast paced smooth scrolling game with voiced dialogue, cutscenes, and multiple playable characters. The technology was changing so quickly that you were able to see big fundamental changes in gameplay between subsequent games in the same franchise. Compare the technical difference between Megaman and Megaman X4 to the difference between Megaman X4 and Megaman X8 (which is basically shinier graphics and some rail sections added).

Even Ms. Pac Man had some big technical changes, like the addition of multiple mazes (instead of the single maze that the original had), more complex AI, primitive cutscenes, and more animation.

I think quite often the changes that Capcom made to SF II would today have been released as DLC for a specific version. To many sequels to a competitive game splits the playerbase.

Paid DLC splits userbases too. Free DLC (or included in updates as it often is now) is the only way not to, really.

Edit: I guess these days you'd see them get added in the update but only unlocked through the DLC, so avoids userbase splitting.

Jazz on
    Hydlide popped up a bunch, to the point it got sequels, and it's terrible.

Hydlide on Japanese PCs is really old ('84), and as such was kind of a pioneer of action RPGs. It looked pretty bad by the time it hit the NES in the West ('89) but it was highly influential on the Japanese devs who made the very games that outshone it by '89. Not necessarily "worth playing" today but it did have a big impact and name recognition in Japan that probably justified its sequels.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    The lack of change between X4 and X8 isn't because of the era, it's because Capcom burgled all the senior staff for games like Resident Evil, which were massive innovative, industry shaking games in themselves. This idea that old games were innovative and newer games aren't is not even rose colored glasses, it's just false.

No, I said the retro era was innovative, and it was, because we saw an absolute explosion of technology and genres. Just because Capcom put out a new Megaman game every year for six years doesn't mean that other developers weren't innovating.

How many new genres have been created in the last decade that didn't exist in the retro era? Looter shooter, battle royale, and walking simulator?

I was going to say rogue-lites, but they sort of started exploding around 2008 with Spelunky? And Borderlands came out in 2009, so looter shooters are at least that old. Looks like we got clickers, survival, and maybe Souls-like. Mobile AR games are new, I'm pretty sure? The "Jackbox-style party games" genre became a thing. VR is a notable mention; it still seems to be sorting its genres out, but there are are a lot of light gun and sword games. The "Breath of the Wild"-like subgenre is making a surge. There's still a fair amount of innovation in the modern era, it's just mostly happening at the edges with mobile and VR, in mods and indie titles, or in shaking up existing genres.

On just one page I see people disparaging both Flying Warriors and Kid Icarus?

We gonna have to box at this rate.

Speaking of amazing NES games that don't get enough appreciation, my housemate has a copy of legacy of the wizard in really good condition. Might have to sit down and play through that again, it's been a few years and that game is pretty nifty. Also just a good excuse to setup the retron again.

steam_sig.png