As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Painting exhibition a thread

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Managed to get some painting done tonight, need to decide how to paint the symbol on the door, black just isn’t doing it.scsfohaqmgoa.jpeg

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Could you make it a really shiny black? Like chipped obsidian shiny?
    Might stand out against the copper door a bit better than just black.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Could you make it a really shiny black? Like chipped obsidian shiny?
    Might stand out against the copper door a bit better than just black.

Or try to get some of that vanta black paint. Make it hurt to look at that symbol.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Mask up the bits around and use the brush flick method to add stars. Spooky alien starmetal.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    Finished some Praetors. Just two more characters to go and I'm done with the Stormcast side of Dominion.

5W5ASvH.jpg

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    THose look great.

I bought a set of those with the diffuse thought to use them as the base models for a Custodes Killteam.

I think the Thunderstrike armour is going to result in a lot of cool Custodes conversions, much more so than the previous armour types.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple and magenta?

I'd better head to the hospital to deal with this priapism.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    If it lasts more than four hours call your doctor so he can give you a high five.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    The edges on those axes are, in technical terms, really freakin' sweet.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I finished some Incubi
    D08ncnJ.jpg

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Shit. Secret weapon minis is going out of business. They have some paints that I really like using.

In not sad news, Duncan posted the Silent King painting video on YouTube for getting to 200k subs.

https://youtu.be/8211QOEgw30

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I did a thing*!

tm3vhuz606co.png

* I have, over the course of the last month, done many things like paint almost an entire 30k Blood Angels army, I just don't have photos.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    edited August 2021
    Love the shoulder pad.

That's some serious old school new school remix.

Now I have to put another BB team on the to do list for a purple and yellow paint scheme

honovere on
  • SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Mudgullet the Froghemoth! (Reaper Bones)

zpcdqd0c55nd.jpg

I've had this guy sitting in a box for two years now, but I finally got an airbrush and thought I'd try it out. In the end I only did a brown undercoat and all of the green with the airbrush but still need to give him an all over gloss varnish - make this big frog monster all wet and shiny.

He's a fun model but maybe I could have gone with something a bit smaller to get back in the swing of things - lots of sloppy layering and mold lines I was too lazy to remove.

Anyhow, I look forward to the day I can put him on the D&D table - he's massive.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Oh wow. Goblin green & flock basing? Oof, right in the nostalgia.

In other news, I have been able to establish that the “deimos pattern” rhino hulls made by Forge World are compatible with the round doors from the recent SoB tank kits. I am sorely tempted to get one just to make a proper sisters Rhino rather then mix in the square doored hulls… how mad am I on a scale of 1 to grotsnik?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    I finished another Troggoth! I went for a much cleaner less cartoonish look. The midriff split from the legs slightly when I was halfway done. I gave up on trying to get them reset and just finished painting it. I have a third that I used Milliput to hold the pieces together before I started to paint them.

unknown.png
    unknown.png

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
    Finished painting my other doorways and also did a silver finish on the black necron symbols which I like how it turned out with the black edges lcfe4sbh7jdq.jpeg

steam_sig.png
  • NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    I’m trying to get back into painting again (I did a bit last year, some chaos marines and stormcats) with one of the little age of sigmar starter kits. I’ve not used white primer before and I don’t know if I did something wrong like not shaking it enough but the finish was kind of powdery. I also spotted a bunch of mold lines I apparently missed (but this is a learning experience so it’s fine it’s FINE)

Anyway, progress! I at least feel like I’ve gotten the hang of thinning my paints
    e7rzrm2al557.jpeg

edited August 2021
    White primer is always very fickle in my experience. All brands I've tried so far. With some you have to get quite close so it doesn't get powdery, with others it happens exactly the other way around when you get too close.

Even white airbrush primer makes way more problems than any other colour of primer as far as I can tell. Clogs way faster.

honovere on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Volupus is magenta, one of the primary colors (the others being cyan (talassar) and yellow (Iyanden)).

Or at least, as close as you get with contrast.

Lyanden yellow is the ugliest yellow I have seen

I have Necromunda terrain that I'm not sure how to improve. I'm waffling on what to do with the lights.
    osf1vwy73aux.jpg

The metallic base is Runelord Brass spray, which is pretty nifty looking, with drow elf skin over shadowed stone (reaper colors) for the deepest wall parts.

INeedNoSalt on
    Rust! Grime! Oil, and dust!
    That’s the Necromundan Way.

Really though, one you have the base colours in, assemble the wall sections (are you magnetising or having a permanent setup?) and weather the hell out of them. The only other things to add are hazard stripes (door edges are good), stencilled location markers (section numbers etc.) and graffiti (clan tags, gang boss names, the occasional chaos star or genecult wyrm). Oh and more weathering.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    A few years back Warhammer Community posted an article on how Peachy built and painted a Killteam table, at the end there was a link to a PDF with a bunch of appropriately sized posters and announcements that you could print out and attach to terrain. Stuff like general propaganda and maps. Depending on the level of Imperial presence wherever your terrain is going to be set in it might be worth checking out to add some flavor.

SmokeStacks on
    edited August 2021
    You can also get generic graffiti waterslide decals from places like green stuff world and, for Necromunda specifically, any of the clan house decal sets would make good random territory markers.

Oh and don’t forget to include the occasional completely random pristine section, where the maintenance servitors finally got around to actioning a service request submitted three hundred years ago by a visiting noble that took office to some outrageous graffiti. And completely ignored the gaping pit next to the shiny part…

Mr_Rose on
    Got a bit more of my necron terrain done, finished 2/12 so only 10 more to go, then the next 28 small pieces 🤪
    1vikkgol3gzi.jpeg

steam_sig.png
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I finally committed to painting and buying an army that's not Space Wolves.

Presenting the first model of my my homebrew Stormhost, the Knights Tempest.

H50Xjmr.jpg

Wanted to do a 'storm-at-sea' vibe, landed on a vibrant, tropical blue armour and a cool method to doing tidepool bases.

It's very easy to paint compared to my space wolves - I spray the whole model with retributor and add a layer of Tallasar blue contrast over top.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I was painting my drukhari raider but since it's mostly built and full of other items I find it hard to paint since it would lay in my lap when I went to get more paint
    I need to build or get a cradle to hold it but knowing I only have 6 {4 raiders 2 ravagers} It's not something I want to have permanently?
    As another point I went and looked at GW's site just to see if they got wraithbone spray in stock and I saw they had them doubled on the US page one out of stock and the same in stock so I am scared the can got smaller?

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Matrias wrote: »

H50Xjmr.jpg

Wanted to do a 'storm-at-sea' vibe, landed on a vibrant, tropical blue armour and a cool method to doing tidepool bases.

It's very easy to paint compared to my space wolves - I spray the whole model with retributor and add a layer of Tallasar blue contrast over top.

the crackle effect on this is great

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

H50Xjmr.jpg

This is cool and all, but have you considered a much grayer blue and maybe adding some fur doodads and/or fur capes? Ideally fur from Canis lupus.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    Are Skaven verminlords hard to paint fully built? I have the urge to build stuff but all I have left to build are warplightning cannons, screaming bells, plague furnaces, and verminlords and I'm doing sub assembly for all of that except verminlords. Not sure if I shouldn't sub assemble them or not.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Full disclaimer: I've never painted one myself, but looking at them I probably wouldn't bother with sub-assemblies myself, nothing looks particularly tricky to get a brush to.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    I have recently bought a verminlord but haven't assembled or painted it yet. All the pieces look quite large so I think the only stuff that would get in the way would probably be the bangs and the tail.

• MatriasMatrias Registered User regular

H50Xjmr.jpg

This is cool and all, but have you considered a much grayer blue and maybe adding some fur doodads and/or fur capes? Ideally fur from Canis lupus.

uh, actually I did. "Maybe I can just make Stormcast Space Wolves!" and decided against it because if i was going to commit to a second army i wanted something a lot quicker and easier to paint and assemble.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
    I built my verminlords. The corruptor and deceiver sucked. One of their feet is supposed to rest on this busted up arch or wall or something and I couldn't line the foot up properly and when I finally hot it stable the plastic cement glue was taking too long to hold so I used super glue.

The other foot on the deceiver connects at the ankle of the leg and shifted a bit so there was a gap. Tossed some sprue glue in there so tomorrow I'll see how that worked and see if I need to add more or do any sanding to smooth it out.
    0vaikdx8pmgj.jpeg

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'm workin on a Beholder right now that I think is going to be great! I finally got my own desk/workbench set up so I can get more painting done.

I also finally got my Mechwarrior mechs in. I also bought some of the Vallejo metal color (its so amazing oh my god you were all right about it) and some tamiya clear red and blue. Did a few paint experiments last night and found that the Chrome stands out better on darker primers. Sadly, the only spray I have is Grey, its a dark grey but I have Vallejo brush on black gloss primer, but haven't used it, all the videos I can find show it being air painted on, but I'm sure I could regular brush it in right? My tests weren't great, but I just used water to thin it, same with the Clear Red and Blue, very goopy. Should I look at thinning these for brush use with an actual thinner?

edited August 2021
    I'm getting so frustrated with my airbrush. I got one airbrush working but it keeps sputtering even after multiple deep cleans so I'm throwing it away. Switched to my other airbrush but air won't go to the brush. This is the same one I've had hose problems with before but the last few times I used it it seemed fine.

Air is flowing but not to the brush or even into the hose. Can't tell where it is leaking from. I got plumber tape on every part that screws so I'm at a loss.

I think I just want to finally upgrade my pump and get a new .3mm nozzle airbrush. I'm pretty confident my .2mm still works perfectly fine but I can't find out cause of the issues.

Stragint on

So far I've really only used my airbrush for priming, but I used the cheap one that came with it and had constantly sputtering and clogging issues. I switched to a Iwata Neo and while it's a lot better for my priming use, it still sputters if I'm not diligently cleaning off the needle during use.

But mine doesn't start off like that, it just builds up over use so if you're having that problem from the get go that's maybe not helpful.

DocSamson wrote: »
    So far I've really only used my airbrush for priming, but I used the cheap one that came with it and had constantly sputtering and clogging issues. I switched to a Iwata Neo and while it's a lot better for my priming use, it still sputters if I'm not diligently cleaning off the needle during use.

But mine doesn't start off like that, it just builds up over use so if you're having that problem from the get go that's maybe not helpful.

Yea, the sputtering happens right away with any fluid. I ran water through and it was still sputtering. I tried different air pressures too and nothing changed.

I feel like my airbrushes are just dying real fast when the first I had that came with my pump latest for easily a year and a half and that was before I knew much about airbrush maintenance.

Bought a replacement .3mm airbrush. Pretty sure it is the same one just a version 2 which is fine, I really liked the one I have.

Still looking for a pump. I want something really quiet for once. Just not sure where to really look.

Also did some painting. The parts I tried to prime with my airbrush I ended up priming with a rattle can. The piece was a screaming bell for my Skaven. I'm starting with the gold/brass/copper paint set from scale 75 and painting metal pieces at random with the different colors to give it a "built with whatever we could find" sort of look since the theme is Skaven that don't leave their caves.

It looks decent so far, hopefully it will look better once the metal and wood are done.

Kill team terrain assembled:
    831k2w4hgkbg.jpeg

I actually like the big fortress look much better then the chunks of scatter the game requires but there you go.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Interestingly these pewter miniatures came with wooden base.

I assume you can just super glue them to the bases, prime them up and then it paints up just like anything else, yeah?

This discussion has been closed.