As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So... uh... PAX?

• every day's greatevery day's great Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    In 2019 the exhibitor list went out two three weeks before the show; this year I could imagine that exhibitors are waiting until the last possible minute to confirm, and PAX is waiting until the last possible minute so as to minimize last-minute cancellations after the exhibitor list and schedule are published.
    Nfan10039 wrote: »
    I'm starting to question my excitement for this event...I need to stay off of Reddit before everyone's low expectations bring my own down.
    My expectations are certainly lower this year (e.g. fewer, mostly indy, exhibitors, pared down schedule, fewer attendees, etc.) but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be quite a bit better than expected and pretty fun anyway regardless of size and scope! The main anti-fun I am fearing is a delta outbreak and/or getting sick.

every day's great on
    edited August 2021
    Wait somehow I missed the 2021 PAX 10 ! So that's 10 exhibitors confirmed at least. :P

Badge letter also says footprint will be smaller (so everything in the WSCC maybe?) and that the Paramount will be the Main Theater. I definitely enjoy the full-scale mega-PAX West, but the idea of having everything in WSCC + Paramount isn't terrible.

They say "We've heard the clamor for space to play with pen, paper and dice, and we're happy to say we're offering a handsome and capacious selection of card, board and cardboard games at this show." I'm not sure whether that means that there's going to be a lot of empty tabletop space in the WSCC along with a game library, or that there will actually be exhibitors there as well, but I guess we'll find out!

It also says "PAX Arena is set to return to the WSCC in a big way." That indicates that the PAX Arena will occupy a lot of the show floor. They confirm there will be a Valorant tournament and say that we should learn to play it (confession: I have never played Valorant.)

The Camp PAX theme is continuing apparently, which I think is fine since I now have an excuse to bust out the merch!

update: noticed Saturday individual badges are sold out though 4-day are still available, which is surprising.

every day's great on
  • Bladed CicadaBladed Cicada Registered User regular
    One thing sounds more and more clear with each day...this year is certainly looking like a Con...

• wolfemancswolfemancs Registered User regular
    update: noticed Saturday individual badges are sold out though 4-day are still available, which is surprising.
    As you might expect, 4 days did sell out first (Tickets went on sale 6/29, 4-days sold out the same day). Then on 7/27, the made more 4-day available, so all options were available again. Then on 8/2 they announced Saturdays were sold out.

• NinjaCoderNinjaCoder Registered User new member
    Seems people started getting their PAX badge:

I can't post links so here is my attempt at sharing the source:
    Twitter: /cerealcam486/status/1429923821721554981

• BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    Why does REEDPOP send badges from so far away lol. Mine won't arrive Until Friday. Are all the users who got them already on the east coast?

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
    I got mine yesterday in Redmond, WA. 4-Day. Don't know if that makes a difference.

edited August 2021
    NinjaCoder wrote: »
    Seems people started getting their PAX badge
    Yes... perhaps "bobcats acquired" wasn't as clear as I thought it would be given prior discussion in this thread. :P

On a badge-related note, they fixed those abyssal PAX XP stickers - they can now be removed easily and completely!

every day's great on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    My badge is still in "pre-shipment" and I'm getting worried as I leave to start traveling to Seattle this Monday.

• 7ucky7ucky Registered User regular
    wolfemancs wrote: »
    I got mine yesterday in Redmond, WA. 4-Day. Don't know if that makes a difference.
    Nice! Still waiting on mine here in Seattle, my tracking also says "Pre-shipment".

pvleevc2o4pj.png
  • PavioPavio Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    My badge is still in "pre-shipment" and I'm getting worried as I leave to start traveling to Seattle this Monday.

When did you get your e-mail notification? They sent me the e-mail on the 20th as pre-shipment, but it was not given to USPS according to the tracking until the 24th. But it's now arriving on the 26th. So once it actually shipped it seems to be going quickly, just took them too long to send it.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    THE SCHEDULE IS LIVE!!!!!!

While I am saddened not to see Microsoft, Sony or my homies Nintendo taking up space on the show floor map currently, it's not set in stone yet and even if the big 3 aren't there, I'm still hoping for a great show! Maybe I'll finally break out of my shell and interact with more people this time. Make some friends in the free play room. I haven't even looked at the full panel schedule list, so there could be some tourneys or something that I would be interested in. A PAX West is better than no PAX West.

Nfan10039 on
    ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
  • BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    WOW small list of vendors/exhibitors for sure.

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • cbelleviecbellevie Registered User regular
    Bluemeane wrote: »

Everyone will be sad and at New Belgium Brewing booth.

cbellevie wrote: »

Hopefully they have samples.

• RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular

What if we don't drink alcohol?

tw787Xr.png

• Bladed CicadaBladed Cicada Registered User regular
    RavenHusky wrote: »

Do something else to kill the pain.

Geek Therapeutics?

To be fair, there are a few booths in the expo hall that I would really love to check out, and sure that there are some indie game companies in there that have awesome games I don't know about.

Wow it looks like most of the big names are no shows. No Sony, no Microsoft, No Nintendo. No Bethesda, Ubisoft, Valve, Square Enix, Capcom... Actually I'm almost surprised that Bandai Namco is there. Are they the only AAA developer?

edited August 2021
    Do something else to kill the pain.
    It really does look like a PAX Ghost Town. Whether that will be fun or not remains to be seen....

every day's great on
  • HeyJoeHeyJoe SeattleRegistered User regular
    Wow it looks like most of the big names are no shows. No Sony, no Microsoft, No Nintendo. No Bethesda, Ubisoft, Valve, Square Enix, Capcom... Actually I'm almost surprised that Bandai Namco is there. Are they the only AAA developer?

Looks that way. What I don't understand is the justification for charging full price for an event that seems like it has the scope of something like Jet City Comicon. Lots of boardgame tourneys though.

Hmm, "redesigned the show to give you more ways to safely come together with the rest of the PAX community."

I wonder if that means there will be more Discord and virtual stuff somehow mixed with onsite?

I wonder if that means there will be more Discord

Speaking of Discord, also not listed on expo hall list.

Also not seeing Geico, Facebook or Twitch - I joked about those being there, but even they aren't!

edited August 2021
    Also not seeing Geico, Facebook or Twitch - I joked about those being there, but even they aren't!
    Even though Amazon is in their backyard. At least our nightmares didn't entirely come to pass?

every day's great on
    I was expecting a little more too, but it's still gonna be a good time.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    I'm even more interested in making PAX friends this year with how barren the expo hall will be

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Pavio wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »

When did you get your e-mail notification? They sent me the e-mail on the 20th as pre-shipment, but it was not given to USPS according to the tracking until the 24th. But it's now arriving on the 26th. So once it actually shipped it seems to be going quickly, just took them too long to send it.

Got the e-mail the 20th, "Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item" the 23rd, and nothing since. I suppose I'd better send an e-mail.

ASimPerson on
  • davobahdavobah Registered User regular
    paxxp.com is live for pax west 2021 now. I just registered.

ewk6x7oeylli.png
    edited August 2021
    Mobile app is live as well.
    Pavio wrote: »
    I was expecting a little more too, but it's still gonna be a good time.
    Yeah, the question is would I have just as much fun spending the weekend at home playing Demon's Souls and Final Fantasy... or sleeping.

Regardless of whether I decide to go to West this time, I am now wondering if I should consider making the trip to South or East for the first time ever... At some point there is likely to be an explosion of goodness as the pandemic conditions lift.

every day's great on
    Yeah, the question is would I have just as much fun spending the weekend at home playing Demon's Souls and Final Fantasy... or sleeping.

Regardless of whether I decide to go to West this time, I am now wondering if I should consider making the trip to South or East for the first time ever... At some point there is likely to be an explosion of goodness as the pandemic conditions lift.

Honestly can't blame you there. I am really just trying to stay optimistic, but I have to admit I was severely disappointed to see the exhibitor list (though there are some indie games I am very interested in which I hope makes up for it). But I've got the vacation time off, flights, etc, so I'm going to try to make the best of it. Though I still think everyone should get a reduced price/partial refund because the price does not reflect the value we're getting.

Also East seems like it would be the best bet for a big return at this point. Or maybe even West again next year...

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    In a way, this is kinda nostalgic, it reminds me a bit of the earlier days of PAX Prime. No olive, no symphony hall, just the buildings around the WSCS.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
    edited August 2021
    In a way, this is kinda nostalgic, it reminds me a bit of the earlier days of PAX Prime. No olive, no symphony hall, just the buildings around the WSCS.
    Ah, PAX Prime - you knew it was the real deal because of the name! "West" just isn't the same. :P

I've heard people say that East is great because it's all in one building. I expect nearly all of West could fit in the WSCC this year with the possible exception of the main theater (which might fit technically but it wouldn't be as nice.)

every day's great on
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    I still remember when there was only one PAX, and it was at the Meydenbauer Center. Of course, it wasn't long until it spread to the surrounding motels' conference rooms.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I would love to see some footage of the very first PAX.

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Here is 2005: https://archive.org/details/pax-2005-dvd-set_202105/PAX+2005+Disc+01+-+The+PAX+Experience.iso

I found the DVD from 2004, but it only has the concerts from what I saw. I am sure it is online somewhere though.

IhtGIyi.png
    SkeleVader wrote: »

Here is 2005: https://archive.org/details/pax-2005-dvd-set_202105/PAX+2005+Disc+01+-+The+PAX+Experience.iso

I found the DVD from 2004, but it only has the concerts from what I saw. I am sure it is online somewhere though.

The 2005 one seems pretty nerd boy. Allot of dudes.

I still remember when there was only one PAX, and it was at the Meydenbauer Center. Of course, it wasn't long until it spread to the surrounding motels' conference rooms.

This is what I remember from the early days, mostly because I didn't attend the first few that were actually in Seattle at the WSCC. But those were the days...

And, yes, Krathoon, there were a lot of dudes there. Videogames didn't have the mainstream penetration in 2005 that they do now so we were all just a bunch of geeks coming together to celebrate our geekdom. That part of PAX has remained true, it's just a much broader audience now.

pvleevc2o4pj.png
  • hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    The 2005 one seems pretty nerd boy. Allot of dudes.

While being gaming focused, back then it was also primarily just people who read the comic.

row1.pngrow2.png
    There is not much of PAX 2004 on the internet. I just see the concerts and a Gabe and Tycho Q&A.
    https://archive.org/search.php?query=pax 2004

That might have been all that was on the DVD. Thank god we have Twitch now.

Does anyone know what the Club PA meetup on Saturday will entail? The Patreon only mentions the time and place, but no other details.

pvleevc2o4pj.png
This discussion has been closed.