As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Rumor has it there are GPU's in the wild

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    @-Loki- I don't think this has come up yet, but if you're throwing in a big honking Noctua air cooler, definitely make sure it's going to fit inside your case. They have a compatibility list on their website. The D15, in particular, is huge. Also whether you use a 2nd fan or not may depend on what the physical clearance of your RAM is.

I went with RGB RAM, knowing it was going to make things tight and that the 2nd fan may block the RGB bling, and sure enough, it did. So I skipped the 2nd fan, and yet my half-strength D15 does the job.

You can also always just get a smaller fan and attach it instead but then it's not gonna have the Noctua silence. Or you can just move the 2nd fan "up" a bit, depending on how much room is in your case.

Can confirm I had to have the outer fan a couple notches higher. In theory, there is a small loss of efficiency. In practice, the DH15 gives no fucks at all.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    Super Nova 750 G5, 80 Plus Gold 750W, Fully Modular

That should be decent enough PSU to replace the explodey Gigabyte 850w? Newegg emailed me and I'm waiting to find out what my replacement options from them are but thinking I'll just buy the EVGA PSU to swap out then just return the Gigabyte for refund from Newegg.

Assuming 750 watts provides you with sufficient margin for your build it looks like an acceptable but not great PSU. There's better, but it will do the job sufficiently. The G5 has poor transient response on the 5V rail, and only mediocre transient response on the 12V rail. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-750-g5-power-supply,6344.html

I would certainlyl rather have the Super Nova powering my computer than that piece of crap Gigabyte.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I just checked and the invoice for the Corsair H60 closed loop cooler I spent $65 on during a sale is dated 09/09/14 if that gives you any indication of the longevity of AIOs.

I just recently attached it to the 4th CPU I have owned since buying it.

I've got a H70 sitting in a build I built in 2011 and its still going strong (temps are fine anyway...). I have plans to move that machine to a new smaller case and I figure I'll swap the cooler at that point.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    What’s the go-to gaming mouse these days? Razer’s software sounds awful and the G502 apparently has little longevity.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bullio wrote: »
    What’s the go-to gaming mouse these days? Razer’s software sounds awful and the G502 apparently has little longevity.

Well it sure ain't the G602, which has the same longevity problems the G502 has.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I use a wired Razer Deathadder with basic drivers for my gaming PC. It's the lower end one though with less RGB and bells and whistles. I find it to be pretty good but I haven't bothered with any Razer specific software.

I am looking at one of the Glorious mice for my work computer, and if I really like it I'll probably buy another one for my gaming PC. I haven't tried one of the open body ones but the idea of hands not getting as sweaty sounds good in theory.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    There's also that recent Asus mouse that has replaceable switches, which is something I'd have loved to see before.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    I just checked and the invoice for the Corsair H60 closed loop cooler I spent $65 on during a sale is dated 09/09/14 if that gives you any indication of the longevity of AIOs.

I just recently attached it to the 4th CPU I have owned since buying it.

Shoulda weighed it then and now to check for fluid loss!

When I put the new CPU in the other day I went back and forth with it and I didn't hear any sloshing, which tells me one of three things:

1.) It's still almost full of fluid
    2.) It's completely empty
    3.) My hearing is going out
    emp123 wrote: »
    I've got a H70 sitting in a build I built in 2011 and its still going strong (temps are fine anyway...). I have plans to move that machine to a new smaller case and I figure I'll swap the cooler at that point.

My case is larger than my first apartment, and one of the things that is really cool about it is at the top the mesh has a double sized bumpout to make it easy to mount a 120mm x 2 radiator, which I am kinda tempted to get even though I know it would be dumb because the 7700k I threw in there still idles in the low 20s and we've passed the peak of summer heat where I am. But it would look cool!

Having a 230mm side intake fan dumping 150CFM of airflow directly onto your GPU is a great way to keep it cool in the summertime. My case is a wind tunnel and I love it.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

I just replaced my G900 with a Roccat Kone Pro Air. If you don't need or want wireless the wired version is significantly cheaper. I use a Roccat Kain 120 Aimo at work and it's pretty nice too. I think Roccat may make the best feeling scroll wheel and middle click of any of the major brands.

The mouse review reddit is a good source of info but also a very very deep hole (like mechanical keyboards) that it best avoided once you have a mouse you're happy with. However, if you ask them what mouse would be good for X size hand, grip type, game type, shape preference (ergo or not ergo), etc you'll be sure to get some good info.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »

I just replaced my G900 with a Roccat Kone Pro Air. If you don't need or want wireless the wired version is significantly cheaper. I use a Roccat Kain 120 Aimo at work and it's pretty nice too. I think Roccat may make the best feeling scroll wheel and middle click of any of the major brands.

The mouse review reddit is a good source of info but also a very very deep hole (like mechanical keyboards) that it best avoided once you have a mouse you're happy with. However, if you ask them what mouse would be good for X size hand, grip type, game type, shape preference (ergo or not ergo), etc you'll be sure to get some good info.

I switched to a roccat mouse (and keyboard) a while back and no regrets.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Is it just me or did some part of this sata cable melt onto the drive's terminal? Looks sus as hell and does -not- want to unplug.
    xxvwjcpdifp9.jpg

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Thawmus wrote: »
    -Loki- I don't think this has come up yet, but if you're throwing in a big honking Noctua air cooler, definitely make sure it's going to fit inside your case. They have a compatibility list on their website. The D15, in particular, is huge. Also whether you use a 2nd fan or not may depend on what the physical clearance of your RAM is.

Decided on a D12S, which specs say is 150-160mm tall and doesn’t overhang DIMM slots. My case is a Corsair 4000D Airflow, which has a CPU cooler clearance if 170mm.

I should be good.

edit - just checked the Notcua compatibility list, and the 4000D Airflow has a big green tick.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    No, that whole area looks melted. WTF happened?

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    No, that whole area looks melted. WTF happened?
    Psycho Mantis
    The video link said "too hot to handle"
    paid for 6gb/s and getting 6gb/s all the time

But seriously, was that touching a heat sink blade?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Great question, especially because the drive is working just fine. The other end of the cable looks normal. It was in the upper front of the case, next to another ssd (860 Evo vs this 850 evo) that is 100% fine. My rig never really gets hot either.

I guess I could keep using it with the now permanent cable but uhhhhhhh

• Options
    Is there insufficient airflow over it? SSDs do generate heat, so if there isn't a fan in front it could be an issue maybe?

Still don't see how it got hot enough to melt the dang cable and outer casing of the drive.

I would certainly be a bit concerned about long term failures with it; maybe only use it for a games drive.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Looks like the youthful primary drive is emerging from its chrysalis as a mature backup drive.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I've seen melted connectors on the SATA power cable, but never on the data cable like that.

The evenness and shininess of it to me looks more like chemical melting than heat damage. Acetone on ABS plastic for example.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    One final post script to the old Socket 939 mobo I did trace repair on.

You may remember I slapped a Geforce 4 in there, which would develop a corrupted display if I installed the GART driver. If I didn't install the GART driver, it performed ok. Got scores in 3DMark2001 that seemed reasonable.

Well, I put a Geforce 7800 GS in there this time. It did not perform ok. I was running at less than 50% of the performance it aught to. I run GPU-Z and it says the card is running at PCI speeds over the bus.

Ok, that makes sense. No GART driver, no AGP speeds. But just to make sure I swap the Geforce 6800 GT from the Socket 754 system I have running. It also is performing at about half power on the repaired mobo. The 7800 is at full power on the fully functional mobo.

So I have a problem. The AGP slot won't function like an AGP slot with the trace repair I did. As a hail mary, theorizing the trace repair just introduced a level of signal noise/delay, I dropped the AGP speed down to 4x from 8x in the bios. Sure enough, the Geforce 6800 GT works with the GART driver at full speed now! The Geforce 7800 GS does not. Go figure. Maybe the AGP-PCIe bridge chip on that card just adds that extra little bit of intolerance for my repair job.

Anyways, the Geforce 6800 GT has it's new home on the repaired mobo. The Geforce 7800 GS is working well in the machine I already had. It feels a little weird pairing the faster card with the slower system. But it's what works.

Why have two Athlon 64 systems? Well, I aspire to have a retro LAN one day. And maybe have small retro lan parties. We shall see.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Got my set of SL120 unifans to replace the fans on my Gallahad since one went bang. Really, Lian Li, why are these not just the default fans on the Gallahad, given the price?

These things are the truth and the light and I now plan to replace the other triple strips of 120's I have in this case with them. Losing 2/3rd's of the RGB and fan power cables in the case is a huge, huge deal.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Got my set of SL120 unifans to replace the fans on my Gallahad since one went bang. Really, Lian Li, why are these not just the default fans on the Gallahad, given the price?

These things are the truth and the light and I now plan to replace the other triple strips of 120's I have in this case with them. Losing 2/3rd's of the RGB and fan power cables in the case is a huge, huge deal.

I feel the same about the AL120's -- the only gripe I have is that Lian-Li's L-Connect software stops working whenever my PC turns off its display (inactivity) and then my fans all pin to 100% -- which is not a behavior I want from my idle PC. Can't really figure out how to fix that, so I am just not letting the display turn off and just letting the screen-saver do whatever.

• Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    Got all my parts!

Was thinking I might twitch stream the build. I uh... am not a real streamer and don't really have any followers or production values. Given that, is there any interest here in seeing that stream?

I'm pumped!

phfy0ph6g9zn.jpg
    78v3ckliehpx.jpg

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Now that I've fallen down this rabbit hole, I'm now looking at gaming performance between the 5600X and the 5800X, and I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference at 1440p. I wonder if a 5800x is overkill for 1440p?

Edit - watching a bunch of benchmarks, and I think I may just drop down to the 5600X. If I find in coming years that I really want a higher core count CPU, the 5900 should have come down in price.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Overkill now, maybe. But to keep up with the consoles I'd stick with at least an 8 core processor.

• Options
    6 cores is the bare minimum I'd consider today, 8 cores for some degree of future-proofing (as emp123 says, to keep up with consoles). 12 cores for maximum reasonable future proofing, but no need to bother if your budget doesn't stretch to it. Anything above 12 is just masturbation unless you have a specific productivity use for it.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    If I need more in the future, I can always sell the 5600x and grab a 5900x.

I’ve been looking at stuff for the 5800x all day and I’m just not comfortable with it.

edit - I am building this with the intention of upgrading it as need be - which is why I'm building it myself rather than getting a company to do it for me, to learn. So I don't mind paying less now (in this case, much less - I'm saving over $300au by going with a 5600X and different cooler). There's couple of things I've dropped on this, like down from 32gb RAM to 16gb. My overall build cost was getting a bit astronomical, and these changes have kept it below my hard ceiling that I had in the first place.

The benchmarks I've seen, a 5600X/RX6800XT/16gb ram combo are running games at 1440p well above 100fps on their highest settings. So yeah, I think I'll drop some of these parts down now, and look at upgrading in the coming years if I feel I need to.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Hey I'm wondering if anyone has any spare/old RAM I could possibly buy/get off them before I try and search online.

I have:

2x4 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (11-11-11-28)

and looking to get to at least 16GB on my Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z77X-UD3H mobo.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Another question - anyone have experience with the MSI MPG B550 Gaming Carbon Wifi?

Because right now I can get it for $30au more than the Asus ROG Strix B550-F I was looking at (it's currently $49au off), and it has on-board Wifi 6 which was my hangup with the Tomahawk.

And I'll get a $40us Steam voucher with it.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    It has arrived.

zotac_rtx_3060Ti.jpg

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Anything above 12 is just masturbation unless you have a specific productivity use for it.

Please don't call me out in public like that.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Microcenter has the 3700X for $219.99 today.

That is an insanely good deal for a very respectable CPU.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    If we've been building PC's that aren't masturbatory then I have a lot of questions.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    Anything above 12 is just masturbation unless you have a specific productivity use for it.

Please don't call me out in public like that.

I mean it's not like masturbation isn't fun

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Serpent wrote: »
    Got all my parts!

Was thinking I might twitch stream the build. I uh... am not a real streamer and don't really have any followers or production values. Given that, is there any interest here in seeing that stream?

I'm pumped!

phfy0ph6g9zn.jpg
    78v3ckliehpx.jpg

D O

I T

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Hey I'm wondering if anyone has any spare/old RAM I could possibly buy/get off them before I try and search online.

I have:

and looking to get to at least 16GB on my Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z77X-UD3H mobo.

I think I have some sticks but I sent some out recently. I'm outside Philly if that matters with regard to shipping.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular

I have:

I have a pack of G.Skill - 2x4GB, DDR3 1600 CL 8-8-8-24
    http://www.gskill.com/specification/165/176/1532078157/F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM-Specification

Yours free, you just pay shipping from Tampa, FL :)

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Hmmmm. So I had some problems with my GPU a couple days ago, occasional momentary screen blackouts that would crash the fullscreen program I had running with a "directX error" but leave windows running, that eventually turned into the screen no longer getting a signal and the computer restarting. I fixed it for a few days by reseating the card but I'm starting to get the screen blackout crashes again.

Is my card dying or is my motherboard maybe wearing out? Either one is terrible but the card is actually less replacable given the current market situation. The card's a 1060 from a few years ago, the motherboard is almost a decade old.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »

I have:

I have a pack of G.Skill - 2x4GB, DDR3 1600 CL 8-8-8-24
    http://www.gskill.com/specification/165/176/1532078157/F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM-Specification

Yours free, you just pay shipping from Tampa, FL :)

Hello from Land O Lakes, Fl.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I heard we are doing masturbatory computers

KATPAQ3.jpg

Smurph on
  • Options
    Niiiice.

This discussion has been closed.