As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You must pay $60 to read the same arguments in the [Nintendo] thread

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Why would you hire any voice actor from the British isles when you can hire any American to do an accurate and hilarious accent?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Why would you hire any voice actor from the British isles when you can hire any American to do an accurate and hilarious accent?

Hm wow yeah that’s a compelling argument, please step into this remarkably cage-like winner’s booth and receive your certificate from the remarkably lion-like hostess.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    It's an jollie oliday wiv yew samus pawpins

• Options
    COMON RIDLEY MOVE YOR BLOOMIN' ARSE!

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Hm wow yeah that’s a compelling argument, please step into this remarkably cage-like winner’s booth and receive your certificate from the remarkably lion-like hostess.

Please you don't have to tell me twice to get in a room with a sexy cat girl.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    The thing I’m looking forward to is the new voice of Samus as leaked by my uncle, which is that her voice actress is from Belfast. I’ve tried to turn this post into a funny bit twice now but I would actually just like any video game character to be Northern Irish.

I believe he was telling you about the new antagonist, Dark Seamus.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Bad joke #1: What, was the Assassin's Creed Valhalla DLC not enough?
    Bad joke #2: What I wouldn't give for the accents of the latest Hololive EN vTubers to be in a video game.. .

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    it's chewsdsay, innit

• Options
    Chall wrote: »
    The thing I’m looking forward to is the new voice of Samus as leaked by my uncle, which is that her voice actress is from Belfast. I’ve tried to turn this post into a funny bit twice now but I would actually just like any video game character to be Northern Irish.

I believe he was telling you about the new antagonist, Dark Seamus.

Please don’t call him dark Seamus this isn’t the 90’s. He’s third generation for God’s sake.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    jeez i'm actually trying to think of what kind of voice i would actually give Samus, assuming she were to be speaking english and...

my brain is on fire

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I immediately jumped to Avalon Penrose, who played Meg in Hades

• Options
    I’m finding it legitimately difficult to find a Northern Irish voice actress, you’ll just have to trust me it would be neat.

• Options
    I keep coming back to Ming-Na Wen for some unknown reason but I think she would be a good choice

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I keep coming back to Ming-Na Wen for some unknown reason but I think she would be a good choice
    ming-na wen's star wars character is also a bounty hunter who travels in an orange spaceship shaped like her hat, so that might be it

anyways. samus should just make bird noises imo.

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I could imagine Lucy Lawless voicing Samus Aran.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqdFAn2T2UI

new Big Brain Academy drops December 3rd
    For multiplayer, we've got 2 players on one touchscreen, 4 player local, and single-player versus online ghosts, no word on actual online play though? The website says online play is supported but the text doesn't mention it at all

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    FYI, if you have a Switch and your joycons are having the common problem of analog stick drift, Nintendo is taking them for repairs again since they had closed for a while during covid.

I sent ours on Monday, got them back today. So it has very quick turnaround time. And no cost at all.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/ask/ht/789

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Also, how about Awkwafina for the voice of Samus?

Or if we wanna go with a traditional voice actor:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimberly_Brooks

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    This robot in Samus Returns is making me the saltiest I've been at a boss in a long time.

• Options
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    This robot in Samus Returns is making me the saltiest I've been at a boss in a long time.

So I've never played the Metroid games before and I just finished Samus Returns.

Fuck that robot fight forever. None of the phases were intuitive and I looked up how to beat it with no regrets.

Also (end of game spoilers)
    That final Ridley fight felt so tacked on and way too long, there's like 5 or 6 phases that are all the same just faster.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

imo it's the worst bossfight in the series

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    How do we make our terribly designed boss better? I know! Make it kill you in 3 hits IF you've collected all the energy tanks you could!

So I've never played the Metroid games before and I just finished Samus Returns.

Fuck that robot fight forever. None of the phases were intuitive and I looked up how to beat it with no regrets.

That final Ridley fight felt so tacked on and way too long, there's like 5 or 6 phases that are all the same just faster.
    It feels that way because it was. In the original you just walk back to your ship with the baby Metroid while a really somber music track plays. That Ridley fight completely ruins the end of the game.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    It's a puzzle boss, but it's puzzle solutions aren't actually super intuitive and it hits like a freight train if you make an error in said puzzles which is just... strange design. Since while just trying to figure out what it wants for a solution you might get obliterated and need to start everything over again. Just beat the game recently and I wasn't big on it or the following boss.

Mechanics spoilers
    The stupidest part of this boss fight is that using the spider-ball to avoid getting sucked in only works when you need to do that to beat it. It doesn't work in the earlier phase when it does the same attack? Also it sucks in missiles, so I assumed those might work but it has to be bombs and the feedback here isn't... great.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    turtleant wrote: »
    How do we make our terribly designed boss better? I know! Make it kill you in 3 hits IF you've collected all the energy tanks you could!

It feels that way because it was. In the original you just walk back to your ship with the baby Metroid while a really somber music track plays. That Ridley fight completely ruins the end of the game.

I knew the general outline of Metroid 2 so
    I was making my way back to the ship, almost there, thinking I had reached the end, then that idiot dinosaur came out and just murdered me when I least expected it. And then he killed me many more times before I finally beat him.

• Options
    I'm not sure if the boss fights were the thing I hated most about samus returns or if it was the awful movement
    I would say that the Ridley fight was probably the high point of the game for me, by which I mean I found the game as a whole incredibly frustrating and a poor experience punctuated by one fight with a sense of cinematic flair

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I didn’t love the robot fight, but you’re all wrong. The plant fight in Fusion was the worst.
    One hit knocks you off the only safe platform into a pit of flowers that grab you and drain your life. It’s practically impossible to escape from them after you’ve fallen off. The only strategy is not to fall off and spam missiles as fast as you can.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    I didn’t love the robot fight, but you’re all wrong. The plant fight in Fusion was the worst.
    One hit knocks you off the only safe platform into a pit of flowers that grab you and drain your life. It’s practically impossible to escape from them after you’ve fallen off. The only strategy is not to fall off and spam missiles as fast as you can.

just don't get hit :rotate:

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

Something to look forward to, I guess

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Wasnt that hard to escape was it? Been a while.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I remember struggling with that my first playthrough a lot,
    the loooong run back due to the save rooms being disabled was a big part of making it feel shittier. Right after the spider boss too, which was ALSO a big roadblock and long runback.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I remember the spider boss in fusion being super annoying on my first playthrough, the only other stuff in that game that gave me trouble was finding my way through some of the mazes

• Options
    other than those nightmare also gave me trouble, and the final fights

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Polaritie wrote: »

Wasnt that hard to escape was it? Been a while.

So it's not intuitive but having played it two weeks ago you have to hold jump to escape not mash it if you get knocked off the ledge.

Ta-da.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I am now about an hour into Blaster Master Zero 3.

Not bad! Enemies are a bit of a damage sponge, but that's okay. The story is still quite crazy compared to the original and Zero, but I do respect that they've tried to incorporate all the stuff from all the different versions of Blaster Master. It feels like this was a game that was originally just going to be a one-off, then Zero-2 and -3 came along. But I don't mind.

I was grinning a bit at encountering the first tank boss:
    You face off against the original Blaster Master Ma-SOPHIA. Like.. just straight up pixel-rip. The weapon effects are the same, everything.

And it KICKS YOUR ASS.

Like I am sure there is something out there if you can get the health down, but it is not gonna be easy. Especially as it has the lightning, homing, and spread shots, as well as the hyper beams. But for a nostalgia hit, this was great. :)

I really hope they stick the landing on this. I'm not a terrible fan of the overhead weapon switching bits and limited ammo, but given that you get all that off the bat in this one, I suspect there will be plenty of room to grow.

Edit: Bit further in now, playing another hour or two this evening. I'm up to Area 3.

I got stopped by a very stupid moment, but I eventually figured it out. I am definitely liking the mechanics that they are introducing.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    There was a novelization for Blaster Master that I loved as a little kid.

Good times.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    There was a novelization for Blaster Master that I loved as a little kid.

Good times.

Worlds of Power was my jam. I was always tickled that the Ninja Gaiden adaptation included the power ups from the game in its narrative.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    my answer is 'no thank you'

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    ...don't they already have a Mario lego set?

Now, if this was like, a Lego Mario game on the Switch, that might be quite something.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    .....you know, a Lego/Paper Mario game could really work. It's already all about the physical objects. Paper Mario stomping on Lego goombas. Collecting the little Lego pips.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.