As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Between that, all the Paper Mario nonsense, and Star Fox Zero I'm starting to think that Miyamoto has been an anchor on development ever since the Gamecube era ended.

I've thought that for a long time. Often creative people need someone to reel them in a bit. I was in the position to do that with a director one time. We needed to get the show on the road but he was still trying to make all kinds of creative changes when we should have been finalizing things. I got yelled at but I stood my ground and in the end I kept the show on track. I get the feeling Miyamoto has his own ideals but no regard for what's best for the product. At this point Miyamoto is a legend in the business and I'm sure a lot of people at Nintendo don't feel they can say no to him, especially in a Japanese business environment.

You can definitely see that influence in popular media. George Lucas had too many "Yes" people around him during episode 1 and the film suffered because of it. The absolute shitstorm that followed the movie's release definitely had an impact on him in the follow-up films.

Creativity is great, but when it's unfiltered and unsupervised, it can get out of control quickly and ruin projects. That's why I like to bounce ideas off a lot of varied opinions before deep-diving on a project.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Yeah, for sure. I don't think what Miyamoto has been doing is actually wrong in general, but I do think he's going beyond "let's stay focused" to "this is my opinion on exactly what the product should be." And yeah, his legendary status probably makes it very difficult to push back.

That said, I do kind of feel like he's been less hands-on the last few years. I know Nintendo gave him some special job title around the time Switch came out and I kind of wonder if that means he's doing less meddling in general. I don't know that for sure but he definitely feels more "figurehead" since then. I could be totally wrong though.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Yeah, for sure. I don't think what Miyamoto has been doing is actually wrong in general, but I do think he's going beyond "let's stay focused" to "this is my opinion on exactly what the product should be." And yeah, his legendary status probably makes it very difficult to push back.

That said, I do kind of feel like he's been less hands-on the last few years. I know Nintendo gave him some special job title around the time Switch came out and I kind of wonder if that means he's doing less meddling in general. I don't know that for sure but he definitely feels more "figurehead" since then. I could be totally wrong though.

My more cynical take on it is that he kind of failed upward. After so many of his creative flops they put him somewhere that utilizes his expertise but minimizes his ability to completely change the course of a project.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I'm sad that "a normal star fox game" seems to just be remakes of the first one.

I like Assault quite a bit, and I would've loved a further sequel from Command.

Or like, a redo of Adventures, with Fox on the flying continents and Krystal on the main planet.

Starlink is what Star Fox needs and he is barely in it

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So it was a rumor before but Dying Light is now confirmed for Switch

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I’m not confident about this one. Dying Light is a very demanding game.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I really need to know when I can get more Project Triangle Strategy in my life.

Even though it's played on maps consisting of squares.

A CONSPIRACY??!?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I really need to know when I can get more Project Triangle Strategy in my life.

Even though it's played on maps consisting of squares.

A CONSPIRACY??!?

The conspiracy is that each square is really hiding two triangles....

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I didn’t realize I was using the old thread.

Reposting:

Well, I’m almost ready to play NEO TWEWY.

I finally finished Ye Olde TWEWY, including A New Day which was totally new for me, and did a bunch of additional stuff, like beating the new bosses and getting their drops on every difficulty.

I’m gonna take a few more days to finish the secret reports, get every drop on the noise report (I’m close, actually), and maaaaybe master all the pins. I’m 54%ish done with that. It won’t be that bad since some endgame bosses give lots of Battle PP and you can abuse the system clock for Shutdown PP without even exiting the game.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Saw that Pokémon Snap got an update. Snorlax and Psyduck are in, but still no Farfetch'd.
    We're getting closer, but NO FARFETCH'D, NO DEAL

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I'm loving NEO TWEWY myself but man those Chameleons and Rhinos can eat every single ass in the galaxy. Both enemies have their own quirks that make them annoying to fight as it is(like rhinos in general do a mid-air 180 auto-turn to face you if they collide with a wall which is fucking baffling in general much less given they null all frontal attacks), but later game adding cheapshit super armor reflex aoes that automatically break out of every combo and force you to back off or get chunked for half your life on Hard+ is the pinnacle of lazy design.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Saw that Pokémon Snap got an update. Snorlax and Psyduck are in, but still no Farfetch'd.
    We're getting closer, but NO FARFETCH'D, NO DEAL

They can't add Farfetch because then all their future DLC will leek.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Speaking of April O' Neil:

https://youtu.be/29BpxAr7_eQ

Nick Smash Bros. also added Catdog:

https://youtu.be/pPQHl1_WOK0

And they're trolling Avatar fans with that cabbage cart.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Not just a cabbage cart; they show what appears to be an entire Omashu stage. Stone mail slides and all

Enlong on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Sounds like the box art silhouettes was mostly spot on then?

I had a particular fondness for Catdog myself.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Sounds like Dragalia Lost's death knell has been sounded and I still find it surprising they never did anything else with the IP, especially on the Switch.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Talith wrote: »
    Sounds like Dragalia Lost's death knell has been sounded and I still find it surprising they never did anything else with the IP, especially on the Switch.

Not a death knell yet, but I'm guessing we'll hear something more definitive after the third anniversary stuff is past. Which is super disappointing. I've been playing since launch and still really enjoy it, but the update today about some of the content slowing down isn't great.

Though at least it's the least popular content that's going away.

• Options

Why? What happened?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021

Why? What happened?
    Regarding Future Content Releases
    Hello! Yuji Okada here, director of Dragalia Lost.

As always, thank you for your continued passion for and support of Dragalia Lost. I'd like to take this opportunity to inform you of some upcoming changes to the game's content release schedule.

Starting this November, the game's development and management structure will undergo some changes accompanied by a reduction in the amount of content released each month going forward.

In particular, the number of new adventurers and dragons added to the game each month will change, and starting in December, new onslaught, defensive, and coliseum events will no longer be added (though existing ones will return at regular intervals). Please note that these details may change without prior notice.

Please rest assured that we are hard at work developing content for the game's third anniversary in late September and beyond, and we will continue to hold events and release main campaign chapters that we hope will delight and entertain players going forward.

Thank you for playing Dragalia Lost.

That kind of talk is usually followed by the end of service in a few months. The DL thread here doesn't seem to be active either, not that that in itself is any indication of the health of a game, but it certainly doesn't look good as an outsider.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Ye Olde TWEWY: Mastering pins that evolve by SDPP and BPP is so frustrating. I messed up Hounder Magnum like 6 times.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Why? What happened?

As always, thank you for your continued passion for and support of Dragalia Lost. I'd like to take this opportunity to inform you of some upcoming changes to the game's content release schedule.

Starting this November, the game's development and management structure will undergo some changes accompanied by a reduction in the amount of content released each month going forward.

In particular, the number of new adventurers and dragons added to the game each month will change, and starting in December, new onslaught, defensive, and coliseum events will no longer be added (though existing ones will return at regular intervals). Please note that these details may change without prior notice.

Please rest assured that we are hard at work developing content for the game's third anniversary in late September and beyond, and we will continue to hold events and release main campaign chapters that we hope will delight and entertain players going forward.

That kind of talk is usually followed by the end of service in a few months. The DL thread here doesn't seem to be active either, not that that in itself is any indication of the health of a game, but it certainly doesn't look good as an outsider.

Hmmm... to be fair, those particular events actually kind of suck (it could just be that they aren't popular enough to keep making). It's honestly hard to say though. I dunno about the reduction of new characters and dragons. Part of me suspects they want to move developers off this game on to other Cygames titles which are maybe doing better? (Princess Connect just launched not long ago in the US and I know they have some kind of dragon game coming). But if that's a death knell or not, I'm not sure.

I dunno, I guess we'll see. I hope the game isn't dying tho - I still enjoy it.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I'm sad that "a normal star fox game" seems to just be remakes of the first one.

Or like, a redo of Adventures, with Fox on the flying continents and Krystal on the main planet.

I still need to play adventures. Wasn't that originally not even going to be a starfox game?

I wish they'd do more with starfox license too. I think it'd be cool if we got a tactics style turn based game using arwings.

Steam: offday
  • Options

Why? What happened?

Hmmm... to be fair, those particular events actually kind of suck (it could just be that they aren't popular enough to keep making). It's honestly hard to say though. I dunno about the reduction of new characters and dragons. Part of me suspects they want to move developers off this game on to other Cygames titles which are maybe doing better? (Princess Connect just launched not long ago in the US and I know they have some kind of dragon game coming). But if that's a death knell or not, I'm not sure.

Priconne is a Crunchyroll thing, they're handling all the localization. Likewise I think Kakao is handling the global localization for World Flipper. But unlike those, Dragalia Lost is a worldwide simultaneous release, and that localization may be harder on CyGames especially with multiple characters and dragons along the road.

But yeah, keeping my eyes on it for now.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

I still need to play adventures. Wasn't that originally not even going to be a starfox game?

I wish they'd do more with starfox license too. I think it'd be cool if we got a tactics style turn based game using arwings.

It was originally called Dinosaur Planet, I think

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    A new spoilery Metroid trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_XnbTayTH4

EDIT: I missed that this was already posted in Metroid thread. Oh well. Belongs here too, right, kinda?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    If you want to go in blind, DO NOT watch this trailer. It is an understatement calling it spoilery!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I am very poorly playing super metroid right now so my hype is high.

also this game is kinda hard when you're bad and also i had to quit using the joystick on the switch i just kept getting stuck in the wrong input trying to turn into a ball. the joycon buttons as dpad are not great but better than that at least.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    If you want to go in blind, DO NOT watch this trailer. It is an understatement calling it spoilery!

Thank you for the warning. I heeded the spoiler warning and didn't watch it, but glad your post will make it so I will not watch it at all till I play the game.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Thank you for the warning. I heeded the spoiler warning and didn't watch it, but glad your post will make it so I will not watch it at all till I play the game.

There's seemingly important story reveals and also ability reveals, we could share the mechanics rundown if you want but "being pleasantly surprised to see the new and returning toys" is also a cool spot to be

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I don't mind being a little spoiled on stuff...but this trailer was so spoiler heavy that I really wish I hadn't watched it. There are some reveals that I would have really liked to have seen while playing the game.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

There's seemingly important story reveals and also ability reveals, we could share the mechanics rundown if you want but "being pleasantly surprised to see the new and returning toys" is also a cool spot to be

Oddly depending on how much I really want to pay attention I could possibly read all of this and when I do get around to playing the game completely being surprised. I mean I have played Breath of the Wild 3 times now and some of the dungeons still surprise me while I remember others. I really am odd what I want to remember.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

I would be doing so much better if not for these frankly childish teammates. It's like... grow up, you guys!

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Nintendo was always made fun of for their approach to online play. No chat? Wtf??

They knew the internet was a mistake.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Why? What happened?

Priconne is a Crunchyroll thing, they're handling all the localization. Likewise I think Kakao is handling the global localization for World Flipper. But unlike those, Dragalia Lost is a worldwide simultaneous release, and that localization may be harder on CyGames especially with multiple characters and dragons along the road.

They don't handle the localization but they're still the primary developers on those games. So I could see them saying "Hey we want to focus more dev resources on these games" and pulling some devs off Dragalia (maybe particularly art resources? I could see that being some of the more time-consuming stuff for new characters and dragons especially). Honestly, these changes in particular are not that bad - just so long as they aren't a bad sign of the game ending.

But yeah, we'll see

Random side note - I've always wished they'd bring Dragalia Lost over to the Switch. Not the exact same game, but sort of turn the whole thing into an action RPG like Secret of Mana but with a lot of unlockable characters and party combos. I think that could be pretty cool.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Nintendo was always made fun of for their approach to online play. No chat? Wtf??

They knew the internet was a mistake.

To be honest the internet was a mistake for some things. I definitely miss being able to play games couch co/counter op. The internet also set the stage for all the microtransaction games with no gameplay or story...

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Micro-transactions and no story is an accurate description of the arcade scene. But I forget myself. Old thing better than new thing

• Options

Why? What happened?

They don't handle the localization but they're still the primary developers on those games. So I could see them saying "Hey we want to focus more dev resources on these games" and pulling some devs off Dragalia (maybe particularly art resources? I could see that being some of the more time-consuming stuff for new characters and dragons especially). Honestly, these changes in particular are not that bad - just so long as they aren't a bad sign of the game ending.

But yeah, we'll see

Random side note - I've always wished they'd bring Dragalia Lost over to the Switch. Not the exact same game, but sort of turn the whole thing into an action RPG like Secret of Mana but with a lot of unlockable characters and party combos. I think that could be pretty cool.

True. To be honest this is probably CyGames pulling people from Dragalia Lost (and GBF to a lesser extent) to work on Uma Musume where they're making money hand over fist (and Priconne to a lesser extent).

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I think it was the Dragalia Lost devs? That said something basically to the effect of "Gosh we could be making so much more money if Nintendo would just allow us to be more exploitative!".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Which is weird because Fire Emblem Heroes is right fucking there.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Which is weird because Fire Emblem Heroes is right fucking there.

But though I lament the loss of playing a 3ds at lunch at work with now FEH I have only bought orbs twice in the time I have played the game compared to Draglia Lost I played it a bunch when it came out then real life got turned upside down so though I still play FEH I I did not redownload Draglia
    I still think it should have been a full game on the switch or such but when it came out it felt like it was only 40% there