As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Desert Online (Orwen Server Ch. Mediah O1)

1495051525355»

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Zero to Hero guide - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jL-U4O4gA0d4e5OdO6v7stmZi_2NDTy-FXdXkR7huv4/view

Pretty handy and includes seasonal info. This morning I realized that I had never accepted any of my Adventure log rewards, so I spent a few minutes clicking through those.

• Options
    Level 61, two free PEN accessories. Sitting at 210(+20) AP. Continuing to piddle about with it, spent some cash on fancy clothes. Playing the seasonal characters is pretty great; always knew that BDO was a fun game trying to escape a Korean grind and monetization.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Fired this up on my PS5 because I like mindless grind with a podcast and it looks pretty and at level 36 I’m actually rather taken with it. I’m playing a Lahn because I like the swooshy swishy and the game basically feels like Darksiders 2 with grindy MMO trappings, combat is so far beyond what I expected from an MMO, it’s very refreshing.

And the node system looks really interesting, despite their being no coherent explanation of it anywhere. Looking forward to diving in more.

There are some rather hilarious “the English translator was off sick for this quest” moments and I’m pretty sure my pocket demon guy is going to try and eat me at some point? Bring it on, pal, and taste my swooshy blade. Also apparently lahns can fly, but I have yet to figure out how to do that yet.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Make sure you're playing a seasonal character.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Nosf wrote: »

I am! But what I am not is in possession of an advanced calculator required to win these conversation minigames :hydra:

Just about to hit Level 56 (so about to go look up what Awakened ad Succession mean), currently got most of my Naru gear at IV and working my way through the Mediah questline, just about wrapping up the Abandoned Iron Mine quests (hampered somewhat by the giant enemies that are considerably tougher than the rest), but I'm getting there.

One question: I currently have not found the correct materials to upgrade any of my accesories even once. What should I be doing, here - buying something else from the marketplace? Or did I miss a quest to unlock a special material that I need or something?

Oh actually, another question - when can I transmute things? That section of the Black Spirit menu is always glowing but when I go in there I don't seem to have any usable gear that can go in any of the slots.

Spaffy on
  • Options
    Hmm I appear to have hit a wall in Mediah. I am not strong enough to complete any of the main quests at level 56, nor do I have any ready crystals to upgrade…

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I bought this for $3 because eh why not. But when I got to play it asks if I want to use the free trial. How do I make sure it knows I bought it on steam?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »

I am! But what I am not is in possession of an advanced calculator required to win these conversation minigames :hydra:

Just about to hit Level 56 (so about to go look up what Awakened ad Succession mean), currently got most of my Naru gear at IV and working my way through the Mediah questline, just about wrapping up the Abandoned Iron Mine quests (hampered somewhat by the giant enemies that are considerably tougher than the rest), but I'm getting there.

One question: I currently have not found the correct materials to upgrade any of my accesories even once. What should I be doing, here - buying something else from the marketplace? Or did I miss a quest to unlock a special material that I need or something?

Oh actually, another question - when can I transmute things? That section of the Black Spirit menu is always glowing but when I go in there I don't seem to have any usable gear that can go in any of the slots.

For accessories I believe you smash two together to make a new stronger one.

https://grumpygreen.cricket/naru-gear/

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jL-U4O4gA0d4e5OdO6v7stmZi_2NDTy-FXdXkR7huv4/view

Soon you'll move onto the next level of gear which is a little harder to upgrade, but I've managed to get all my gear to TET or whatever IV is. I think I used up a lot of my Cron stones that I had to get my weapons to PEN.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I bought this for $3 because eh why not. But when I got to play it asks if I want to use the free trial. How do I make sure it knows I bought it on steam?

Hm, weird. Maybe link Steam and Pearl Abyss account? I believe I did that a long time ago when they migrated accounts from the previous publisher?

Nosf on
  • Options
    I figured out what was weird. If steam itself isn't running with admin privileges it can't pass the auth token to BDO. It was real annoying but I fixed it.

• Options
    Finally finished Mediah on my seasonal character and immediately upgraded everything to Tuvala... took a look at the enhancement requirements and hoo-boy, this is getting rather complicated.

I watched a guide video and they were talking about failstacks and exchanging stuff with other stuff for stuff to do stuff and I gave up and decided to wait for a time when I have a notepad. Why do they make these systems so opaque?!

Also it seems like I can actually transfuse these pieces (Naru I couldn't), so time to drag all those crystals out of storage I guess?

ALSO I just discovered that my pets need to eat and also that they can gain levels and have different abilities and passives I can benefit from. The game continues to amaze me with it's layered systems (I still have yet to successfully figure out how to farm & craft using nodes... soon, node, soon).

• Options
    DinopenDinopen Registered User regular
    Is it still as p2w as it was when I stopped playing like 2-3 years ago?

• Options
    p2fashion, yes.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Just started this up on Xbone since it’s free on game pass. Made a Seasonal character, Lahn, got her to 17 and rolled a new character to just try out another play style. Liking my Wizard a bit more than Lahn as I just wreck everything. I’m sure Lahn wrecks but I haven’t found a good rotation yet. Which brings up a question. I have more skills than show on the guide that is on screen during battle. Is the ones shown the suggested rotation?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    So, uh… the three day compass I got from a quest has expired, and now the desert is pretty much unnavigable. I’ve read about an Oasis vendor that sells a one day compass, but I’m at the spot in Valencia where she should be, and she’s not here.

So is this an error, or are we just intended to wander the desert blindly? Because I’m not really down for that.

• Options
    I’m really enjoying the game so far, but I can’t wait till my PC is fixed so I can switch to that version. Playing on my Xbone can be cumbersome for me as I have a hell of a time trying to remember skills based on the button combinations for that skill. Something like S+LMouse+whatever clicks in my mind much better than LS <- RB+Left Trigger

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Ok, so I’ve tried reading online guides and YouTube videos and I’m still not getting it. Could a very kind and patient person please explain:

How exactly do I “build failstacks”?

I’m looking for, ideally, an idiot-proof step-by-step guide, from literally having nothing but the Tuvala gear I want to upgrade and some Time-filled stones, to an upgrade chance that’s good enough to actually upgrade it.

Because right now I’ve burned through pretty much all of my Tuvala ore on repairing gear that remains at the gear level it was when I started trying to upgrade it.

Thanks in advance

and

Frustratedly yours,

Spaffy

Spaffy on
  • Options
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Ok, so I’ve tried reading online guides and YouTube videos and I’m still not getting it. Could a very kind and patient person please explain:

How exactly do I “build failstacks”?

I’m looking for, ideally, an idiot-proof step-by-step guide, from literally having nothing but the Tuvala gear I want to upgrade and some Time-filled stones, to an upgrade chance that’s good enough to actually upgrade it.

Because right now I’ve burned through pretty much all of my Tuvala ore on repairing gear that remains at the gear level it was when I started trying to upgrade it.

Thanks in advance

and

Frustratedly yours,

Spaffy

This is why I've mostly quit!

• Options
    Failstacks are pretty obnoxious -

long form: https://grumpygreen.cricket/failstack/

Tuvala guide w/ failstacks for the season - https://grumpygreen.cricket/tuvala-gear/

Zero to hero guide, has some failstacks info - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jL-U4O4gA0d4e5OdO6v7stmZi_2NDTy-FXdXkR7huv4/view

• Options
    Do we still have a guild and is it active or should I look elsewhere?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    I think the guild is there, but held by someone who doesn't play anymore. I reached out to them a few times but never heard back.

Searching for the guild now, I don't see it listed.

Season ends in 2 days btw.

• Options
    Just a heads up that with the most recent patch notes, they're going to make the next season server's upgrading of gear even easier. Season ends tonight, so spend all your crap etc. You can use the timepiece quest doodad to duplicate your current character's level onto another non season character. Also, grab the free pen capotia neck quest from the antler season dude since that takes 30 seconds.