As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Where we don't click links we don't know even if our friends appear to send them!

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    It's launchers launching launchers all the way down...

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    It's launchers launching launchers all the way down...

The modern equivalent of emulators emulating emulators all the way down, right?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Is there a steam collection of games where you board enemy vessels to sabotage or take command?

I feel pirate/boarding marine needs to be a type of tag.

Autocorrect changed sabotage to decorate and now airship graffiti is on my mind

Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag
    FTL
    ???

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Is there a steam collection of games where you board enemy vessels to sabotage or take command?

FTL
    ???

If Black Flag is in the list, Odyssey should be too.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

FTL
    ???

Space Engineers sorta?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

FTL
    ???

Space Engineers sorta?

Sid Meiers Pirates!

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Heat Signature. Entire premise is sneaking up to and breaking into starships in various ways. Starships that don't want to be broken into.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular

If you want it in space, Warframe has the spaceship combat now. Railjack

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Heat Signature is great for a while but fair warning it gets repetitive far earlier than the amount of gameplay it demands to clear everything. You'll probably burn out on it well before meaningfully completing the game.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I was thinking about getting It Takes Two to play co-op with the wife. We had a lot of fun with Portal 2 back when and haven't had many good co-op games to play since. I've heard good things, but read it's published by EA. Does that mean I'd have to jump through all the Origin bullshit? I had a similar issue with Star Wars Squadrons and I'd prefer not to deal with it all again.

I'm afraid I already know the answer, but perhaps there's hope?

Squadrons just required a EA account, but doesn't have to run Origin.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Heat Signature is a game I wanted to like way more than I did, esp since I LOVED Gunpoint.

But it's just super hard to parse, and it's one of those games like Crusader Kings or Dwarf Fortress where there's all these emergent systems and crazy storylines that you need to sort of squint to see instead of being overt in the game play.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Drovek wrote: »

FTL
    ???

Space Engineers sorta?

Sid Meiers Pirates!

Pirates! has my vote, it is basically an entire game about stealing progressively larger pirate ships.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire also had a naval combat portion and a lot of ship/pirate stuff. The naval combat is text based and kind of choose your own adventurey, but when you get to boarding range you can fight with your party and crew.

Then of course assassins creed black flag and assassins creed rogue (which is basically just black flag canada edition), and a lot of other creed games to a lesser extent.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    This was from two pages ago but whatever.
    Hevach wrote: »

I'm not sure if I love this or hate it, and I think it's because the enemies are all over the place. I see regular animals, giant bugs, tanks, aliens, dino riders, unspeakable horrors from the abyss, and animate plants.

That's the Metal Max franchise for you. The whole series has been filled with eccentric character and enemy designs since its debut on the NES.

If you've got a PS2 handy I'd suggest finding a copy of Metal Saga, the only officially translated game in the series for many, many years. There's also translation patches for the NES original Metal Max and its SNES remake Metal Max Returns, the latter of which is a contender for my favorite SNES JRPG.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Ianator wrote: »
    This was from two pages ago but whatever.

I'm not sure if I love this or hate it, and I think it's because the enemies are all over the place. I see regular animals, giant bugs, tanks, aliens, dino riders, unspeakable horrors from the abyss, and animate plants.

That's the Metal Max franchise for you. The whole series has been filled with eccentric character and enemy designs since its debut on the NES.

If you've got a PS2 handy I'd suggest finding a copy of Metal Saga, the only officially translated game in the series for many, many years. There's also translation patches for the NES original Metal Max and its SNES remake Metal Max Returns, the latter of which is a contender for my favorite SNES JRPG.

How long do I have to play before this becomes final fantasy with world of war tanks?

Edit
    Is the clown dual wielding flame throwers a recurring character?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    God, Farcry 4's checkpoint save system is annoying as hell wasting time replaying stuff when rhino's etc come out of nowhere and kill you and making you lose quest objectives just because they decide to despawn and no way to load without redoing everything.

Developers won't stop being lazy since sales on console are where the money is and everyone has to accept it, but gah!

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    A heads up for anyone thinking of buying Aliens Fireteam, unless you have two other people to play it with, do not buy it. It has no quick play, and it’s queues are divided by level, settings and difficulty, etc, so all up there’s like 7 main queues and 100 sub queues. There’s no cross play, and bots lock in after 40 seconds of searching, and can’t be replaced by real players at any point. There’s no joining games in progress, including even if you wanted to specifically invite a friend

Essentially there is no way to play online with randoms at this point, and the devs have basically said “eh we might look into adding a quick play down the line maybe”. Which is fucking absurd, it should be foundational to any online coop game

I bought this on Xbox so couldn’t get a refund but it’s outrageous and barely any reviews mention this core and foundational issue

Prohass on
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    A heads up for anyone thinking of buying Aliens Fireteam, unless you have two other people to play it with, do not buy it. It has no quick play, and it’s queues are divided by level, settings and difficulty, etc, so all up there’s like 7 main queues and 100 sub queues. There’s no cross play, and bots lock in after 40 seconds of searching, and can’t be replaced by real players at any point. There’s no joining games in progress

Essentially there is no way to play online with randoms at this point, and the devs have basically said “eh we might look into adding a quick play down the line maybe”. Which is fucking absurd

I bought this on Xbox so couldn’t get a refund but it’s outrageous and barely any reviews mention this core and foundational issue

So that streamlined drop in experience that made l4d a hit is just.....not there?

• Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    God, Farcry 4's checkpoint save system is annoying as hell wasting time replaying stuff when rhino's etc come out of nowhere and kill you and making you lose quest objectives just because they decide to despawn and no way to load without redoing everything.

Developers won't stop being lazy since sales on console are where the money is and everyone has to accept it, but gah!

Wildlife being more dangerous, or at least more annoying, than the enemies is my least favorite thing about newer Far Cry games. Second would be having to collect pelts to carry more stuff, as opposed to taking sufficiently undamaged load-bearing gear off fallen enemies, or just asking the rebels, "hey, you guys got a spare mag pouch or just a burlap sack?"

With a close third being the loss of AI behaviors and environment interactivity compared with 2008's Far Cry 2. Which I've reinstalled just recently, with some mods boosting realism and graphics while removing unscripted malaria attacks.

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    A heads up for anyone thinking of buying Aliens Fireteam, unless you have two other people to play it with, do not buy it. It has no quick play, and it’s queues are divided by level, settings and difficulty, etc, so all up there’s like 7 main queues and 100 sub queues. There’s no cross play, and bots lock in after 40 seconds of searching, and can’t be replaced by real players at any point. There’s no joining games in progress

Essentially there is no way to play online with randoms at this point, and the devs have basically said “eh we might look into adding a quick play down the line maybe”. Which is fucking absurd

So that streamlined drop in experience that made l4d a hit is just.....not there?

Correct! And with no word from the devs that they intend to add it. It’s a fucking joke and I’m pissed

• Options
    A heads up for anyone thinking of buying Aliens Fireteam, unless you have two other people to play it with, do not buy it. It has no quick play, and it’s queues are divided by level, settings and difficulty, etc, so all up there’s like 7 main queues and 100 sub queues. There’s no cross play, and bots lock in after 40 seconds of searching, and can’t be replaced by real players at any point. There’s no joining games in progress, including even if you wanted to specifically invite a friend

Essentially there is no way to play online with randoms at this point, and the devs have basically said “eh we might look into adding a quick play down the line maybe”. Which is fucking absurd, it should be foundational to any online coop game

Thanks for the heads up. I've seen one review say it's not worth it without friends, but that could mean damn near anything. I certainly didn't take it to mean the matchmaking is fundamentally broken, which sounds like it's the case.

Searching for Xbox refund process, it seems you might still be able to pursue one within 14 days. Worth a try, surely. At least one site in the results was claiming a high success rate, though I didn't dig deeper.

• Options
    That’s what I assumed, when it says “play with friends” I don’t assume “impossible to play with randoms”. It bugs me that I read like 3 reviews and none mentioned that matchmaking doesn’t work

I might look into a refund but I’m so annoyed and lazy I just want to forget about it and hope it’s somehow magically fixed,

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Wow, "play with randoms" is basically my usual go-to. That sounds exactly like a not so good experience for me.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Ouch, sounds like GTFO with even less justification.

If I can't play with randos, then I can't play multiplayer. My friends have lives.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Wildlife being more dangerous, or at least more annoying, than the enemies is my least favorite thing about newer Far Cry games. Second would be having to collect pelts to carry more stuff, as opposed to taking sufficiently undamaged load-bearing gear off fallen enemies, or just asking the rebels, "hey, you guys got a spare mag pouch or just a burlap sack?"

With a close third being the loss of AI behaviors and environment interactivity compared with 2008's Far Cry 2. Which I've reinstalled just recently, with some mods boosting realism and graphics while removing unscripted malaria attacks.

If Far Cry animals were realistic, then poachers would rule most of the third world because anyone with a force capable of taking down a rhino or elephant while fighting off unprovoked lion pride attacks would be able to withstand a full regime change intervention by the US Marines.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Aliens Fireteam's matchmaking is... less broken on PC, but that core problem Prohass mentioned is still very much a problem. It's a baffling design oversight that feels like a consequence of them both wanting to make something story-driven and propulsive, but also kind of loot-driven and repeatable

So they want you to play the campaign in order and see their story, but they also want you to go and play it all again on higher difficulties, which is much much harder to do when each map and each difficulty is essentially a separate queue with no option to just go "i'll play whatever"

I have to imagine they're aware of the problem, but that it took the game being released for them to become aware of it is nuts. Maybe another consequence of a tight budget/deadline? I dunno

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

FTL
    ???

Carrier Command Gaia Mission?

Also apparently there's a Carrier Command 2 published by a modern day MicroProse? Did I get hit on the head and the 90s never actually ended?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    DoctorArch wrote: »

FTL
    ???

Also apparently there's a Carrier Command 2 published by a modern day MicroProse? Did I get hit on the head and the 90s never actually ended?

CC: Gaea Mission's bonkers campaign (how the hell did they get FPS in my Carrier Command?) has you finding the carrier and getting it running, so I guess it maybe counts?

I have yet to try Carrier Command 2, the third Carrier Command game. But here's hoping. The '80s original is a classic.

I hope the "new" MicroProse can dig into more of the old library. MidWinter 3 please! Although I'd settle for a remake of 2.

Jazz on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

FTL
    ???

Huh, it's already on my wishlist and I don't remember ever adding it...

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    It's so interesting to watch the issues that multiplayer games can have, primarily because I'm not really into multiplayer games unless they're couch co-op or with my friends. Enough negative experiences with random people has shown me that if it's a choice between playing with friends or not playing at all, I'll always default to the latter. So having any kind of matchmaking ability within an online multiplayer game is arcane and uninteresting by itself for me. However, the intricacies of how those systems do or don't work is very interesting, and I don't think i can effectively explain why.

I started Witcher 3 back up after more than a year and a half away from it and it's . . . still fine. My time back last night was mainly a whodunnit in the not-Scotland-Ireland-Amalgam-Archipelago, with a small amount of fighting a few critters, and it's almost impressive how much better the social and investigative systems are than the combat. At least I'm on PC and I put in some mods to help me not be pissed at the game (fast travel anywhere, instant oil application, auto-win at Gwent, no weight limit), but the combat is just as floaty and inexact as I remember it. Still, I'm having . . . fun? It feels goodish?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    If you're playing Aliens Fireteam Elite on the PC (like God intended) than there are a handful of people from the forum who have been playing fairly regularly, so you shouldn't have any problems getting a multiplayer game going. Drop in/drop out would have been a lot better, but playing with people you know and endlessly spouting lines from the films in voicechat is a much better experience than trying to get some rando to understand that you're supposed to shoot the eggs, not just run past them like an idiot.

For what it's worth, the NPCs can hold their own fairly decently through the campaign on the normal difficulty level, it's just the higher difficulties where you start to really require human players (and consideration on the team's classes and weapon loadouts).

• Options
    edited August 2021

If Far Cry animals were realistic, then poachers would rule most of the third world because anyone with a force capable of taking down a rhino or elephant while fighting off unprovoked lion pride attacks would be able to withstand a full regime change intervention by the US Marines.

The Australians would then be our new overlords, surely. That said, animals don't generally go, "Okay, everybody, we're gonna push those humans off this continent. If you fall on this day, know that you died for the Animal Kingdom! C'mon, you apes, you wanna live forever?"

Well, most animals. I wouldn't put it past the Cape Buffalo.

ArmsForPeace84 on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

The Australians would then be our new overlords, surely. That said, animals don't generally go, "Okay, everybody, we're gonna push those humans off this continent. If you fall on this day, know that you died for the Animal Kingdom! C'mon, you apes, you wanna live forever?"

Well, most animals. I wouldn't put it past the Cape Buffalo.

People think it's the predators you gotta watch out for. Nah, predators are gankers. They want the easy kill with minimal chance you'll hurt them back (because a bad injury for them means they can't hunt effectively, which is pretty much a death sentence). They're optimized for high performance and burst speed/damage, they burn a lot of calories to do it, and if you don't have enough meat and fat on you to make it worth their while, they'll leave you alone. Usually.

Now, a bull herbivore? They'll charge you, gore you, knock you down and trample you into paste if they even think you're lookin' at them or their herd funny. And then they'll just go right back to grazing, ain't no thing.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Australians? Not likely. We lost a war against our Emu population.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

In fairness, most countries/continents would lose that war.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Eh, it was like three dudes with a machine gun and a truck that couldn't cover the terrain as quickly as an emu. They chased the flock around for a while and then went home to an eternity of ridicule.

Hevach on
  • Options
    LD50 wrote: »

FTL
    ???

Huh, it's already on my wishlist and I don't remember ever adding it...

Choose the beta version and watch the absolute final mission on YouTube

• Options
    Eh, it was like three dudes with a machine gun and a truck that couldn't cover the terrain as quickly as an emu. They chased the flock around for a while and then went home to an eternity of ridicule.

Hey man, fighting birds is no easy job, just ask @CorriganX about the time he went toe to toe against four geese.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    And that's it, I've finished Prey. Ending stuff
    I chose to use the Nullwave Device on account of having no way to determine if the station exploding would be enough to take out that monstrosity without propelling its pieces to Earth. I also figured that if the Nullwave worked then I would be able to prevent Transtar from continuing their research because I saved everybody I could, collected so many documents of what was happening aboard the station, and generally had every way necessary to cut off neuromod research and by extension contact with the Typhon as anything but a threat to beware of.

However, while I was ready for some kind of twist when it came to Morgan, since contact with the Coral and the Apex was resulting in various voices and flashes of memory, I wasn't quite expecting the reality of the situation where Morgan is actually a mimic implanted with mirror neurons to empathize with humans and the whole simulation was to judge whether a particular Morgan was the one to pin their hopes on for peace between the species. It was pretty interesting hearing from the Operators about my actions and decisions in the quests that led up to the final choice of whether or not I was the one to bet on.

Not a bad twist, plenty of foreshadowing looking back, and looking back the only thing I might have done different was blowing up the Station since Dahl was still alive to pilot and evacuate everyone while I blew up with the Typhon. But when the real Typhon showed up? That plan went right out the window and Nullwave seemed the best option to neutralize it.

I don't think I'll go back to platinum this game, it got to be a bit much in the latter portions, but I did manage to get the achievements of reading every email, locating most people (some seemed to auto-fail when I tracked them), and also I did not kill a single human (was debating on one of them but when I disarmed his bomb in the escape pod he just died of natural causes I guess).

And now I'm going to go watch the speedrun of this game because ever since someone mentioned how it's pretty funny I've been wanting to see it.

• Options
    edited August 2021

Emu: "What do we get in the peace deal? We hear Perth is lovely."
    Australians: "Best we can do is have you over for dinner."

ArmsForPeace84 on
  • Options

Emu: "What do we get in the peace deal? We hear Perth is lovely."
    Australians: "Best we can do is have you over for dinner."

*as dinner.

We love eating our coat of arms.

This discussion has been closed.