As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Painting exhibition a thread

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Interestingly these pewter miniatures came with wooden base.

I assume you can just super glue them to the bases, prime them up and then it paints up just like anything else, yeah?

Wooden bases? Huh.
    If I were you I’d seal them (the bases, using varnish or PVA) before using superglue; cyanoacrylate and porous surfaces are not friends. If you’re very lucky you just get a week bond. If you’re unlucky you get fire (I had this happen once with kitchen towel).

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I've put dozens of metal miniatures on wood bases I've laser-cut myself, and not had a single problem. Both MDF and plywood, no problems, and I use Loctite Professional Liquid super glue.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Been on more of a printing kick than painting, but I do want to get back to painting (eventually. I swear. Honest.) This was a figure I designed and 3D printed myself and I'm super stoked about how it came out.
    kfez1z86ysz8.png

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Hey I know it's painting adjacent but a buddy hooked me up with a Leman Russ Demolisher tank and I was wondering what guides people have used to magnetize the weapons? The tank is 90% assembled at this point. I just have to put together the weapons it looks like.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Been on more of a printing kick than painting, but I do want to get back to painting (eventually. I swear. Honest.) This was a figure I designed and 3D printed myself and I'm super stoked about how it came out.
    kfez1z86ysz8.png

This is a cool sub for a DG helbrute or DP

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Cross-posting from 40k thread because this was a lot of work dammit.

Time for some fancy (but still awful and blurry) photos of some wardollies! I knocked pretty much the whole thing out within the last two months, which is insane for me. I just wrapped up decals today and got them all spray varnished as dark clouds and thunder were rolling in.

Anyway here's 1500pts on the nose of 30k Blood Angels!

Whole army:
    6omc3eb5vfdc.jpg

Destroyers and Moritat:
    48quqsyqxxrk.jpg

Contemptor Incaendius:
    cflmyb7j7yil.jpg

Dawnbreaker Cohort:
    4uzelltqpv77.jpg

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I love the blood Angels color scheme so much

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Has anyone bought Musou Black paint? I want to try something with it but it seems kind of intense to purchase and import from Japan.

Does anyone have recommendations for a new pump for my airbrush? Preferably something quiet.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Has anyone bought Musou Black paint? I want to try something with it but it seems kind of intense to purchase and import from Japan.

I ordered it

AND US CUSTOMS SAID NEIN

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I just ordered some black 2.0. I'll report back on that once I try it

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021

I ordered it

AND US CUSTOMS SAID NEIN

Damn, that is what I was afraid of. That is a big bummer but I guess I'll avoid it for now, don't want a repeat of when I bought the holiday themed gin from the Yogscast a few Christmases ago. Didn't realize the state I live in wouldn't allow alcohol imports.

Thank you for the info!

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Blood Bowl ogres!
    c1jq9hmku4d6.jpeg
    They may be stupid, they may be ugly, but at least their coach doesn't know the rules.

Back row, left to right: Chubby Hubby, Thick Mint, Punch Line
    Front row, l2r: Super Fudge Chunk, Boom Chocolatta, Strawberry Topped Tart
    Gnoblar: Not worth the dignity of a name.

Theme naming:
    They're all (including the team) named after Ben & Jerry's ice cream flavors, the team colors are B&J logo colors, and the team logo is based on the B&J logo (same font, shape, and colors).

Big Rock Candy Mountain is the legendary land of milk and honey in hobo lore.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

I ordered it

AND US CUSTOMS SAID NEIN

Damn, that is what I was afraid of. That is a big bummer but I guess I'll avoid it for now, don't want a repeat of when I bought the holiday themed gin from the Yogscast a few Christmases ago. Didn't realize the state I live in wouldn't allow alcohol imports.

Thank you for the info!

Id still give it a shot. According to the customer rep I spoke with its basically a 50/50 shot it makes it through

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

I ordered it

AND US CUSTOMS SAID NEIN

But why? Is Musou Black secretly the stealth paint they put on the bombers and they thought you were trading in state secrets?

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

I ordered it

AND US CUSTOMS SAID NEIN

But why? Is Musou Black secretly the stealth paint they put on the bombers and they thought you were trading in state secrets?

Not approved for commercial use in the US. Whether your order gets flagged as commercial is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's apparently paperwork you can do.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

I ordered it

AND US CUSTOMS SAID NEIN

Not approved for commercial use in the US. Whether your order gets flagged as commercial is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's apparently paperwork you can do.

Oh, there’s always paperwork you can do. But yeah that seems excessively random even for customs. Unless you ordered enough to, like paint a house or something… :rotate:

… dammit, now I want a stealth house.

• Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    That's the last of the Dominion box characters, plus some extra troops for squad options. I guess now I pick something else to paint while I wait for the new battletome to finally hit.

AcFuPdE.jpg

• Options
    I legit wish I wasn't so indecisive with color choices.

Trying to lock down something for this custom chapter and I just can't set on something. I've resorted to at least picking an established GW color scheme with generic iconography, but maaaaaaan I don't want to have to pick.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »

Trying to lock down something for this custom chapter and I just can't set on something. I've resorted to at least picking an established GW color scheme with generic iconography, but maaaaaaan I don't want to have to pick.

What are some official ones you like?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2021

I'm kinda narrowing it down to Angels Encarmine red and black or (a totally loyalist) black legion black and gold or a much brighter (but not emperors spears bright) ultramarines color scheme.

Or a really obnoxiously bright version of emperors children (again, totally loyalist) or the more current primaris Soul Drinkers purple and bone.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I'm leaning towards black legion-esque because it seems very quick and easy to knock out. I have enough really complicated paint schemes across various armies. I kind of want something I can just hammer out quickly.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Wyrmwood and similar contrasts over Runelord Brass look very nice if you want fast in that range

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It was the paint deal GW was running two years ago when I went and saw huh Night lords blue as in the weeks before I talked up doing mantis warriors as a kill team. That sold me on doing loyal night lords it was latter when they rolled in the Phobos marines I went in and decided to build them up to combat patrol
    gk06lbvbkaj5.png
    As I got stuck on the iconography and still roll around names for the chapter

I'm kinda narrowing it down to Angels Encarmine red and black or (a totally loyalist) black legion black and gold or a much brighter (but not emperors spears bright) ultramarines color scheme.

Or a really obnoxiously bright version of emperors children (again, totally loyalist) or the more current primaris Soul Drinkers purple and bone.

ohd0i9jdt5ye.png

• Options
    I haven't done a lot with contrast over metallics... maybe time to give that a shot

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    I haven't done a lot with contrast over metallics... maybe time to give that a shot

Yeah I woulnt coat the entire thing but working it into creasesand joints and drawing it across the brass makes for super easy subtle transitions.

Red contrasts over runelord brass look phenominal as well.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Really do the sons of the phoenix as I know last week's faces demo on warhammer + She probably sold more people on the ideal of a wet pallet than the vast number of people from before
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQQ1TRFen_s

• Options
    It's a rad color scheme... but so much white!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options

But in his ESL he with the wet pallet explained how to do it with ease

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

Colors choices have prevented me from getting stuff done so much. I agonize over every little detail. There has to be contrast between everything. Two like colors can't be too close to each other, etc.

Don't be like me.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited September 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQuKPZxlCyI

And the robot did his homebrew chapter as white as well
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlPBoqj0nRo

And a quick way to do it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Q2lSI8TBs

Brainleech on
  • Options
    As an another point to make I had No idea how to highlight nightlords blue and another trip to the GW store showing him two of the minis I had painted he recommended Sotek Green and another color I did but but escapes me
    In looking at the white dwarves on warhammer vault they showed how to shade and highlight night lords blue for a different chapter
    xk8u3bjfnsg3.jpg
    So yay no more blind guess work there

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I have not painted anything since the end of June when I had my car accident. I'm in a lot less pain now and the painting itch, she returns.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I have not painted anything since the end of June when I had my car accident. I'm in a lot less pain now and the painting itch, she returns.

I've had painter's block for like a month. What are you thinking of painting?

• Options

2000 points of Soulblight Gravelords

• Options

How many do you think you could get done in seven days?

• Options

If I wanted to do a sloppy tabletop ready job, all of it. But I will be taking my time and painting them as well as I can, so probably my 2 main heroes Chadukar and Belladamma, plus 10 dire wolves is my goal:

• Options
    I saw soul blight bases yesterday that were pools of ankle deep blood with some light grey ruined masonry sticking out that was so cool I nearly bought a box on the spot.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

If I wanted to do a sloppy tabletop ready job, all of it. But I will be taking my time and painting them as well as I can, so probably my 2 main heroes Chadukar and Belladamma, plus 10 dire wolves is my goal:

ilwzratftx58.jpg

Alright, in the spirit of me getting off my ass motivation, I challenge you to one unit and two heroes painted in a week - I'll do the same, and we can both post our results on the evening of the 9th. Does that sound doable?

• Options
    This seems like very good fun!

This discussion has been closed.