As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] Where we don't click links we don't know even if our friends appear to send them!

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    oh man, Deathloop is out in about two weeks. Very curious how that turns out

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    This was from two pages ago but whatever.

I'm not sure if I love this or hate it, and I think it's because the enemies are all over the place. I see regular animals, giant bugs, tanks, aliens, dino riders, unspeakable horrors from the abyss, and animate plants.

That's the Metal Max franchise for you. The whole series has been filled with eccentric character and enemy designs since its debut on the NES.

If you've got a PS2 handy I'd suggest finding a copy of Metal Saga, the only officially translated game in the series for many, many years. There's also translation patches for the NES original Metal Max and its SNES remake Metal Max Returns, the latter of which is a contender for my favorite SNES JRPG.

How long do I have to play before this becomes final fantasy with world of war tanks?

Edit
    Is the clown dual wielding flame throwers a recurring character?

Doesn't take long for the tanks to come in. The first dungeon usually has your starting tank, typically something light like a dune buggy.

Ted Broiler (the wrist flamethrower guy) is probably the most popular villain in the series, though I don't think he's technically a recurring character. He's the main bad guy for most of Metal Max 2, which starts off with him turning your entire party into air fried human tempura.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Pathfinder Kingmaker is on sale. Someone sell me on this. Or don't. I can't decide.

I certainly have a ton of other CRPGS I will be playing first so it's not exactly urgent that I get it now anyway.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Still alive, just about. Been at home for a week healing from surgery after my gallbladder decided to try and kill me.

Spent the time playing Humankind, which has been the main game I've been looking forward to this year. As someone who has been pretty hyped up for it I'm glad to say the game has lived up to it since it's exactly what I expected of it: an Amplitude 4x take on Civilisation.

There's imbalance for sure but I actually prefer that with Amplitude games. (Protip: want an ez mode science victory? Pick Sweden in the last era and spam their emblematic districts. I went from 500 science per turn to 4,700 in one city alone)

Initially the combat really annoyed me but I'm glad I gritted my teeth and stuck with it, because once you know what you're doing it's quite possible to steamroll the enemy army without taking a single loss.

I'd recommend playing on Endless pace (600 turns) or else you'll have very little time to spend in the contemporary era, much less get to proliferate nuclear arms and stockpile 20 ICBMs for dat cheevo.

Speaking of achievements, they allow you to add more complex attributes to your avatar, which makes its AI more challenging should your friends add it to their game. Mine is already at expert level, albeit a very friendly one who just wants all the alliances and wonders in the world.

If you're struggling with the game I recommend you spend the first 3 eras as builder cultures. Egyptians, Mayans, Khmer. They recover the stability penalty of building districts so you can focus on spamming maker's quarters and the world is your oyster once you can plop one district per turn.

The only bottleneck stopping me from building every single cultural wonder was the influence cost to claim them. Still made 10.

GG solid way to spend recovery time / 10

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Ah yes the gallbladder. It also tried to kill me. I was given the choice of taking it out or taking antibiotics and hoping it gets better, and I chose to get rid of it. Turned out that was a good idea cos it had gone gangrenous.

Not a fun time. I assume you had lacroscopic? I was able to carefully move around in public after a month.

Really want Humankind but I have so many things to play and I don't even know if I like civ style games. Normally a Sci Fi guy.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Ah yes the gallbladder. It also tried to kill me. I was given the choice of taking it out or taking antibiotics and hoping it gets better, and I chose to get rid of it. Turned out that was a good idea cos it had gone gangrenous.

Not a fun time. I assume you had lacroscopic? I was able to carefully move around in public after a month.

Really want Humankind but I have so many things to play and I don't even know if I like civ style games. Normally a Sci Fi guy.

I had keyhole surgery as the plan was to have me on antibiotics until the infection cleared but the pain wouldn't let up despite how much morphine they fed me, just as well they operated because it was partially necrotic hence the pain.

Been home a week but going back to work tomorrow.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    On a whim I picked up Hypercharge Unboxed, which is a co-op wave shooter where you play action heroes versus a variety of toys. Sort of like if Buzz and Woody decided that peace was not an option.

I bought 3 extra copies so I could play with the minions this weekend, and it did not disappoint. It's not the most complex game in the world, and I can see it being a snooze for serious gamers. But the game play is fun, and the longevity seems to come from finding secrets on the levels and completing it on different difficulties to earn unlocks, which include different skins, heads, and action figures. The LAN play was also really, really smooth and it was easy to set up a game and get everyone to join it. It's actually pretty unusual that I can get a co-op game to work smoothly where all the minions can jump in easily without at least someone having some sort of issue finding the game, so that was much appreciated.

Anyway, at $13.99 (30% off)...well, let's call it $55.96 with the minion tax, it was fun for some casual group shooting. Even if we only get a few more weeks out of it, or if it's a game the minions come back to every now and then, still worth the price of admission.

edited August 2021
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »

I had keyhole surgery as the plan was to have me on antibiotics until the infection cleared but the pain wouldn't let up despite how much morphine they fed me, just as well they operated because it was partially necrotic hence the pain.

Been home a week but going back to work tomorrow.

Yeah same situation as me re pain and morphine etc. I was able to do sit down work after the same amount of time but only light duties (no heavy lifting). The public thing I talked about was feeling well enough to attend our national fighting game tourneyathon. Youll be up and at em before you know it!

:+1:

Morninglord on
  • JeixJeix Registered User regular
    If you're playing Aliens Fireteam Elite on the PC (like God intended) than there are a handful of people from the forum who have been playing fairly regularly, so you shouldn't have any problems getting a multiplayer game going. Drop in/drop out would have been a lot better, but playing with people you know and endlessly spouting lines from the films in voicechat is a much better experience than trying to get some rando to understand that you're supposed to shoot the eggs, not just run past them like an idiot.

For what it's worth, the NPCs can hold their own fairly decently through the campaign on the normal difficulty level, it's just the higher difficulties where you start to really require human players (and consideration on the team's classes and weapon loadouts).

Also, they dropped a hot fix over the weekend to fix matchmaking issues. Still no quick play but the devs seem pretty committed to working on problems. Not sure if this fix is out on Xbox yet.

Some of us have started moving up to harder difficulties and I'm really enjoying how much more strategy and teamwork is involved.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Yeah I'll cut them some slack. It's a small developer and they didn't do early access. Seems like that might have been a better way to go in retrospect to get more player feedback. For now I'm happy to buy it and sit on it for a bit to let them iron out the issues.

It's funny how my attitude with games has changed. Not sure if it's the fact that I'm older, or that all games seem to have issues at launch now, or that there is just so much media to consume that I always have stuff in the backlog, but there are very few games I really want to tackle on day 1 anymore.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Also the fact that games now have demos as betas, betas as releases, and the official release is the first non-day 1 patch.

steam_sig.png
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I heard someone say Kingmaker and came running as fast as I could.

*expertly chucks a gifted copy at Morninglord's head like a ninja star*
    Pathfinder Kingmaker is on sale. Someone sell me on this. Or don't. I can't decide.

I certainly have a ton of other CRPGS I will be playing first so it's not exactly urgent that I get it now anyway.
    Kingmaker is a CRPG where you gain a kingdom of your own to rule. It informs a lot about the story, you're not just some random adventurer, pretty much everything you do is in service of improving or protecting your lands.

There are two major gameplay elements to Kingmaker: The regular ol CRPG aspect where you adventure across your lands with your party of fantasy weirdos with all sorts of emotional hangups as per usual and the kingdom management aspect where you rule, build and handle issues facing your barony.

To quote myself a few months back if you want more details about how deep it goes:
    It manifests in a bunch of ways. The story largely revolves around it. Sometimes you handle it in person, sometimes you handle it in the Kingdom Management menu. The two tend to go back and forth.

When you become Baron after completing the first big chapter, you get your own land, by completing more chapters and building your empire up, you can claim new regions around you making your sphere of influence even bigger. Much like your character have stats and attributes, your kingdom has quite a few (espionage, relations, military, stability, arcane, etc) aswell. Depending on how you and your advisors handle certain tasks, they gain or lose points and when these stats reach certain milestones, they can be ranked up which increases their effectiveness and the success of the advisors assigned to the positions in your council revolving around those specific kingdom attributes.

-You can place one town in each part of the map/region that you own. Each town has many slots to place various buildings in that give kingdom stat point increases or more unique benefits like installing teleportation circles or mage towers that allow you to instantly teleport between each of your other settlements that has one of those two in them aswell. These buildings are bought with BP.

-BP is building points and the currency of the Kingdom management system. Ranking up stats? Upgrading your settlements from villages to towns and then finally brick shithouse cities? Claiming new regions? It will cost you BP. You get a certain amount of BP every week based on various things. Do you have a trade agreement with neighbors and other kingdoms? Do you have an an agreement with the bandits to shake down the citizens for extra money becuase you solved a certain quest in an evil way while adventuring? You'll get extra BP from it every week. Raising the Economy kingdom stat will also increase the amount of BP every week.

-You have a council which is comprised of ten slots. Each slot revolves around one of the kingdom stats and can be filled with an advisor. You can assign companions and certain NPCs to this position to handle these tasks. These council members will often come to you in your throne room where they will bring proposals and issues that they need the baron's blessing or opinion on. For instance, a high priest might come to you requesting what should be done about a cult of worshippers of an obscure religion gaining steam in your country. Do you let them worship in your lands or kick them out? You can gain certain kingdom stat raises or losses or even a differing mix of the two depending on what you choose. If an advisor comes to you with a business proposal of some kind, the loss or gain of BP might also be involved.

-Your advisors can also tackle the events, opportunities, problems and projects you choose for them to work on aswell. Each of these represent themselves on the Kingdom managment screen as cards in a deck of sorts with a text description on them. Every month new tasks will pop up for you to deal with. These usually take a few days to solve. For problems and opportunities, you pick an advisor thats suitable for the task and you get a percentage chance telling you how likely the advisor will succeed or fail at it. With problems, if you fail or ignore them and let them expire, you lose kingdom stats. If you succeed at them, you gain kingdom stats for the advisor completing the problem successfully. Opportunities operate very similar except you don't lose any stats if you fail at one.

-Projects are things like just cards that you can pick to raise kingdom stat ranks and the associated advisor position once they reach certain levels. Advisors get a higher percentage chance to solve problems and opportunities based on how high the kingdom stat associated with their position is making raising ranks when they become available very important unless you're in the middle of a main story quest that has a timeline. All rank increases take up to 14 days to solve and you can't do them in the background, the game auto fastforwards time in this case, it does the same when claiming new regions.

-Projects can also sometimes involve creating unique and permanent benefits and buffs for you while adventuring across your lands. Such as immunity to poison, bonuses to attack rolls, etc. These can be extremely powerful.

-The more your stats lower, the lower the stability of your empire becomes and risks falling apart, incurring a game over. Thankfully this hasn't been a problem for me most of the game even despite being a greedy tyrant that terrorizes his people under ruthless law. You get ample opportunity to keep it up and you can use large amounts of BP for certain emergency card events that will pop up and allow you keep yourself out of the red.

-You can buy BP with gold aswell and good lord is there a lot of gold in this game, especially if you sell unique items. I spend most of mine on BP.

-The long term effects of your schemes and policies sometimes pop up in quests or in kingdom stat buffs or penalties. Such as if you accepted a proposal to get all your soldiers hopped up on an alchemical drug/potion that makes your soldiers braver and more powerful while also frying their brains a little. The consequence of that is your military stat raises but if your military advisor fails a problem card event, they also might take more of a hit from in the future.

-You can acquire artisans that will also personally develop unique and magical equipment for you and deliver the results to you once a month in the throne room, you can even request certain types of gear or item. Their items become better as you do more personal quests, upgrade their shops and raise your kingdom stat ranks.

-Make nice with ancient ghosts or necromancers and you can even get stone golem workers or undead guards in your lands which have certain bonuses of their own (the dead don't get tired so they decrease the amount of time needed to build stuff in your villages and captial).

Long story short, its fucking great if you go all in on the premise.

Of course, you can just set kingdom management to auto mode, ignore all of that and just play it like a more straightforward CRPG too.

I love the characters, I've fallen in love with the setting, Its just really got its hooks in me over the past few months and I'm chomping at the bits waiting for its sequel to launch next week.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

Okay, so, two things first off:

1) Kingmaker is my GOATOAT, even though I’ve never actually beaten it because I don’t really beat games. I’ve come close a couple of tomes, got distracted, came back, and my mods broke something so I started over etc.

2) The spiritual sequel to Kingmaker, Wrath of the Righteous, is coming out in a couple of days and improves on basically all of the subsystems from Kingmaker, as well as slathering on a whole bunch of other layers of “Holy shit that is some awesome bullshit that I get to pull!”

I’m also phone posting, so forgive bad formatting and randomly miscorrected words. So I guess that’s three things.

My favorite RPGs, tabletop and computer, are games in which you are adventuring and also doing something else on the side. In Dreadfire / Etrian Odyssey 5(?), you’ve got the ship side. In Wrath, you’re going to be leading a crusade against demonkind, and your adventures will help build up your army (which you’ll use in Heroes of Might and Magic-style combat!). In Kingmaker, your adventures support the foundation, protection, and expansion of your kingdom. Your party members will be your advisors, your actions to drive out monsters (or ally with them) will let you found cities and towns, your court’s actions will give you benefits in your territory (like being immune to poison anywhere within your borders).

Much of the game is on a timer - which some people really don’t like. Fer instance, you are sent into the Shattered Lands by a local lord to start the game with the mandate to defeat a local bandit lord, proving your right to the barony. You have 6 months to accomplish this. If you don’t finish the task in 6 months, you lose. (It’s also really hard to spend 6 months doing this, even though travel and resting, etc., all take measurable time.). That will continue throughout the game, which is divided into chapters, based loosely around an upcoming threat or issue - you have x amount of time to deal with it, and you lose if you don’t; most of these threats will escalate if you ignore them. Like, if there’s a new infestation of bandits, then early in the chapter, they’ll be causing small problems that are easy for your Marshal and (simulated) army to solve. As the timer ticks away, the events for your Marshall to solve will get harder and come faster, such that they can’t actually finish one before the next starts, and when you fail an event, your kingdom takes damage in the form of stats reductions.

This can, if you aren’t careful, put your kingdom into a death spiral. Again, some people really don’t like this. For me, though, it gives me a great sense of juggling competing priorities! I’m running a kingdom, and while I might want to go delve this dungeon or explore those hills, I have a real, pressing issue to deal with! I can’t spend 3 weeks traveling over there because I’m needed over here. I’d love to rebuild this forgotten temple, but my Spiritual Advisor is needed to solve this false-preacher crisis and the current major issue is ghosts, so they’re going to be needed in reserve for that!

I love the way that comes out of the mechanics.

And then, after you’ve resolved the main issue for the chapter, you’ve got some downtime before the next starts - which is a perfect time to do those long-running event cards, or check out an extra dungeon or two.

It is not a perfect game by any means - there are still some rough edges and some events are transparently bullshit; there are ways that I think they could have tied the kingdom management and adventuring together better (where, e.g., leveling up your Magic score to level 4 doesn’t mean a whole lot most of the time, or having a high Military score might have some loyal retainers spawn to help you out in battle or auto-win lower-level combats).

The game doesn’t absolutely require an encyclopedic knowledge of the Pathfinder rule set, but it really helps.

The modding scene is solid, however, and they do a good job of fixing whichever issue is your pet peeve.

Also, play in turn-based mode. It makes so many abilities and builds actually work, and you can reliably use AoE abilities without fireballing your own team repeatedly.

Elvenshae on
    Also, Linzi the Hafling Bard in Kingmaker is my gaming BFFOAT. Seriously just an awesome character (and super useful throughout the game, besides)!

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Okay, so, two things first off:

1) Kingmaker is my GOATOAT, even though I’ve never come close to beating it because I don’t really beat games. I’ve come close a couple of tomes, got distracted, came back, and my mods broke something so I started over etc.

2) The spiritual sequel to Kingmaker, Wrath of the Righteous, is coming out in a couple of days and improves on basically all of the subsystems from Kingmaker, as well as slathering on a whole bunch of other layers of “Holy shit that is some awesome bullshit that I can get pull!”

I’m also phone posting, so forgive bad formatting and randomly miscorrected words. So I guess that’s three things.

My favorite RPGs, tabletop and computer, are games in which you are adventuring and also doing something else on the side. In Dreadfire / Etrian Odyssey 5(?), you’ve got the ship side. In Wrath, you’re going to be leading a crusade against demonkind, and your adventures will help build up your army (which you’ll use in Heroes of Might and Magic-style combat!). In Kingmaker, your adventures support the foundation, protection, and expansion of your kingdom. Your party members will be your advisors, your actions to drive out monsters (or ally with them) will let you found cities and towns, your court’s actions will give you benefits in your territory (like being immune to poison anywhere within your borders).

Much of the game is on a timer - which some people really don’t like. Fer instance, you are sent into the Shattered Lands by a local lord to start them game with the mandate to defeat a local bandit lord, proving your right to the barony. You have 6 months to accomplish this. If you don’t finish the task in 6 months, you lose. (It’s also really hard to spend 6 months doing this, even though travel and resting, etc., all take measurable time.). That will continue throughout the game, which is divided into chapters, based loosely around an upcoming threat or issue - you have x amount of time to deal with it, and you lose if you don’t; most of these threats will escalate if you ignore them. Like, if there’s a new infestation of bandits, then early in the chapter, they’ll be causing small problems that are easy for your Marshal and (simulated) army to solve. As the timer ticks away, the events for your Marshall to solve will get harder and come faster, such that they can’t actually finish one before the next starts, and when you fail an event, your kingdom takes damage in the form of stats reductions.

This can, if you aren’t careful, put your kingdom into a death spiral. Again, some people really don’t like this. For me, though, it gives me a great sense of juggling competing priorities! I’m running a kingdom, and while I might want to go delve this dungeon or explore those hills, I have a real, pressing issue to deal with! I can’t spend 3 weeks traveling over there because I’m needed over here. I’d love to rebuild this forgotten temple, but my Spiritual Advisor is needed to solve this false-preacher crisis and the current major issue is ghosts, so they’re going to be needed in reserve for that!

I love the way that comes out of the mechanics.

And then, after you’ve resolved the main issue for the chapter, you’ve got some downtime before the next starts - which is a perfect time to do those long-running event cards, or check out an extra dungeon or two.

It is not a perfect game by any means - there are still some rough edges and some events are transparently bullshit; there are ways that I think they could have tied the kingdom management and adventuring together better (where, e.g., leveling up your Magic score to level 4 doesn’t mean a whole lot most of the time, or having a high Military score might have some loyal retainers spawn to help you out in battle or auto-win lower-level combats).

The game doesn’t absolutely require an encyclopedic knowledge of the Pathfinder rule set, but it really helps.

The modding scene is solid, however, and they do a good job of fixing whichever issue is your pet peeve.

Also, play in turn-based mode. It makes so many abilities and builds actually work, and you can reliably use AoE abilities without fireballing your own team repeatedly.

That sounds pretty cool.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    +1 for turn-based mode in Kingmaker, it really turned the game around for me.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    Thawmus wrote: »
    +1 for turn-based mode in Kingmaker, it really turned the game around for me.

Re: turn-based mode;

It originally came from a fantastic mod. This was so popular that it was incorporated into a patch for the game, and is in from the start on Wrath.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    On a whim I picked up Hypercharge Unboxed, which is a co-op wave shooter where you play action heroes versus a variety of toys. Sort of like if Buzz and Woody decided that peace was not an option.

I bought 3 extra copies so I could play with the minions this weekend, and it did not disappoint. It's not the most complex game in the world, and I can see it being a snooze for serious gamers. But the game play is fun, and the longevity seems to come from finding secrets on the levels and completing it on different difficulties to earn unlocks, which include different skins, heads, and action figures. The LAN play was also really, really smooth and it was easy to set up a game and get everyone to join it. It's actually pretty unusual that I can get a co-op game to work smoothly where all the minions can jump in easily without at least someone having some sort of issue finding the game, so that was much appreciated.

Anyway, at $13.99 (30% off)...well, let's call it $55.96 with the minion tax, it was fun for some casual group shooting. Even if we only get a few more weeks out of it, or if it's a game the minions come back to every now and then, still worth the price of admission.

I randomly downloaded the demo this weekend and played 4/5 waves of the first level, then realized it doesn't pause when you hit start. Using the bathroom was more important to me, so I just let myself die on the 5th wave.

It's a tower defense game inspired by like Toy Story and Small Soldiers, and I wonder how it would do with actual licenses instead of fake toys.

Then again, you probably couldn't have real toys shooting each other to death.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited August 2021
    Reminds me of Toy Soldiers, which was an excellent TD game back in the day, I played the shit out of it on XBLA.

Oh holy shit they're releasing an HD version in September!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1446160/Toy_Soldiers_HD/

Thawmus on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    What was that game that actually had real life toy licenses?

I know one of them won Giant Bomb's Most Disappointing Game one year because the one guy who played it on staff was really bummed

edit: It was Toy Soldiers: War Chest which had He Man and GI Joe in it.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Note in Kingmaker if you put Kingdom management on auto (and it gets boring fast maybe) the AI WILL end your game for you maybe.

Also the main plot has the habit of dying out so you can do said kingdom management.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Note in Kingmaker if you put Kingdom management on auto (and it gets boring fast maybe) the AI WILL end your game for you maybe.

Also the main plot has the habit of dying out so you can do said kingdom management.
    It doesnt really matter how bad the ai bungles it, as long as you have invincible kingdom turned on and do the timed quests when they pop up, its fine.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I had invincible kingdom turned on and it still Game Overed me inside 10 turns. Maybe it was a time one I didn't notice, shrug.

Behold all ye the danger of asking about Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

s2xx908sw7hc.png

@Dr. Chaos will get ye!

Thanks man!

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Stupid Steam is being stupid... first the Steam Chat app won't connect (common problem for me) and apparently auto-retried enough times that it spat out a "too many failed login attempts detected from your network, please try later" message. Then I post about that in chat on my PC, and after a single reply (I did see, it, @Stabbity Style :+1: ) the entire Steam client appeared to crash - it certainly closed. It refused to reconnect on trying to restart it. Going to the website, I'm still logged in there just fine, and attempted to start the web chat which apparently needed to log in separately, whereupon I got the same "too many attempts from your network" message again.

Nothing's popped up to suggest my account has been compromised - I do have Steam Guard active and 2FA via the Steam app switched on - but it's a real pain in the posterior and it's not even Tuesday!

So fellow chat denizens, I'm not trying to avoid you, honest.

I went and bought the dlc pack for ten bucks for Kingmaker, since I own it now, and it seems interesting enough that I'll eventually play it. The spells look fun. I shall be a Wizard King.

I went and bought the dlc pack for ten bucks for Kingmaker, since I own it now, and it seems interesting enough that I'll eventually play it. The spells look fun. I shall be a Wizard King.

I can't remember if you're new to Pathfinder or not, but if you are, and maybe even if you're not, it is my pleasure to offer:

Treatmonk's Guide to Wizards

Apologies for the scribd link, it used to just be a google doc and I believe they have a slew of youtube videos now as well, but this guide really helped me improve my Wizard/Sorc/Druid/everything game in Pathfinder, 4e, 5e, and beyond. And most of this advice translates directly into Kingmaker, they really, really did the PF system justice in this game.

This guide will, at a minimum, help you avoid the spells and feats that are traps, and go after the spells and feats that are just...mmm...goddamn good.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Yeah I'll cut them some slack. It's a small developer and they didn't do early access. Seems like that might have been a better way to go in retrospect to get more player feedback. For now I'm happy to buy it and sit on it for a bit to let them iron out the issues.

It's funny how my attitude with games has changed. Not sure if it's the fact that I'm older, or that all games seem to have issues at launch now, or that there is just so much media to consume that I always have stuff in the backlog, but there are very few games I really want to tackle on day 1 anymore.

I’m normally like this too, but there’s a difference between issues at launch and foundational core aspects are missing. Like a wuickpkay shouldn’t be something that developers need to figure out post launch. And while I’m normally forgiving of launch issues, a week after launch and after dozens of games, I’ve found maybe 1 person on Xbox when I launch a game. Which is absurd. Their response has been pretty lacklustre given the dire circumstances the online portion of this online game has on consoles

It’s also the case that I really like this game! Flamethrowers cause reflections on the xemomorphs heads, that’s rad!

There’s lots of aggravating factors that make it more annoying than just “rough at launch”, for instance challenge cards, which people who bought the special edition got extra of, so technically paid money for, get used and lost if a host quits or the game crashes before you end the level. So it’s not just that the game is technically unstable, it’s the mechanics make it worse when stuff goes wrong. You lose progress and materials in addition to having your time wasted

Prohass on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Stupid Steam is being stupid... first the Steam Chat app won't connect (common problem for me) and apparently auto-retried enough times that it spat out a "too many failed login attempts detected from your network, please try later" message. Then I post about that in chat on my PC, and after a single reply (I did see, it, @Stabbity Style :+1: ) the entire Steam client appeared to crash - it certainly closed. It refused to reconnect on trying to restart it. Going to the website, I'm still logged in there just fine, and attempted to start the web chat which apparently needed to log in separately, whereupon I got the same "too many attempts from your network" message again.

Nothing's popped up to suggest my account has been compromised - I do have Steam Guard active and 2FA via the Steam app switched on - but it's a real pain in the posterior and it's not even Tuesday!

So fellow chat denizens, I'm not trying to avoid you, honest.

Community is entirely down for me right now, though store works.

steam_sig.png
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Yeah community is down for me too.

There is a single file that stores all your local settings on Steam, deleting it often restores wonkyness, but I can't recall the file name and google is only giving back steamcommunity posts and CS:Go posts..

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »

There is a single file that stores all your local settings on Steam, deleting it often restores wonkyness, but I can't recall the file name and google is only giving back steamcommunity posts and CS:Go posts..

Isnt there a quote from me in the op about that file?

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Got back into Steam client on PC and chat in the client too so that's working okay. Mobile chat app still failed about 45 minutes ago. Will try again in a bit, cheers for letting me know about Steam Community problems, guys, nice to know it's not necessarily anything my end 👍

Jazz on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I heard someone say Kingmaker and came running as fast as I could.

*expertly chucks a gifted copy at Morninglord's head like a ninja star*

Kingmaker is a CRPG where you gain a kingdom of your own to rule. It informs a lot about the story, you're not just some random adventurer, pretty much everything you do is in service of improving or protecting your lands.

There are two major gameplay elements to Kingmaker: The regular ol CRPG aspect where you adventure across your lands with your party of fantasy weirdos with all sorts of emotional hangups as per usual and the kingdom management aspect where you rule, build and handle issues facing your barony.

To quote myself a few months back if you want more details about how deep it goes:
    It manifests in a bunch of ways. The story largely revolves around it. Sometimes you handle it in person, sometimes you handle it in the Kingdom Management menu. The two tend to go back and forth.

When you become Baron after completing the first big chapter, you get your own land, by completing more chapters and building your empire up, you can claim new regions around you making your sphere of influence even bigger. Much like your character have stats and attributes, your kingdom has quite a few (espionage, relations, military, stability, arcane, etc) aswell. Depending on how you and your advisors handle certain tasks, they gain or lose points and when these stats reach certain milestones, they can be ranked up which increases their effectiveness and the success of the advisors assigned to the positions in your council revolving around those specific kingdom attributes.

-You can place one town in each part of the map/region that you own. Each town has many slots to place various buildings in that give kingdom stat point increases or more unique benefits like installing teleportation circles or mage towers that allow you to instantly teleport between each of your other settlements that has one of those two in them aswell. These buildings are bought with BP.

-BP is building points and the currency of the Kingdom management system. Ranking up stats? Upgrading your settlements from villages to towns and then finally brick shithouse cities? Claiming new regions? It will cost you BP. You get a certain amount of BP every week based on various things. Do you have a trade agreement with neighbors and other kingdoms? Do you have an an agreement with the bandits to shake down the citizens for extra money becuase you solved a certain quest in an evil way while adventuring? You'll get extra BP from it every week. Raising the Economy kingdom stat will also increase the amount of BP every week.

-You have a council which is comprised of ten slots. Each slot revolves around one of the kingdom stats and can be filled with an advisor. You can assign companions and certain NPCs to this position to handle these tasks. These council members will often come to you in your throne room where they will bring proposals and issues that they need the baron's blessing or opinion on. For instance, a high priest might come to you requesting what should be done about a cult of worshippers of an obscure religion gaining steam in your country. Do you let them worship in your lands or kick them out? You can gain certain kingdom stat raises or losses or even a differing mix of the two depending on what you choose. If an advisor comes to you with a business proposal of some kind, the loss or gain of BP might also be involved.

-Your advisors can also tackle the events, opportunities, problems and projects you choose for them to work on aswell. Each of these represent themselves on the Kingdom managment screen as cards in a deck of sorts with a text description on them. Every month new tasks will pop up for you to deal with. These usually take a few days to solve. For problems and opportunities, you pick an advisor thats suitable for the task and you get a percentage chance telling you how likely the advisor will succeed or fail at it. With problems, if you fail or ignore them and let them expire, you lose kingdom stats. If you succeed at them, you gain kingdom stats for the advisor completing the problem successfully. Opportunities operate very similar except you don't lose any stats if you fail at one.

-Projects are things like just cards that you can pick to raise kingdom stat ranks and the associated advisor position once they reach certain levels. Advisors get a higher percentage chance to solve problems and opportunities based on how high the kingdom stat associated with their position is making raising ranks when they become available very important unless you're in the middle of a main story quest that has a timeline. All rank increases take up to 14 days to solve and you can't do them in the background, the game auto fastforwards time in this case, it does the same when claiming new regions.

-Projects can also sometimes involve creating unique and permanent benefits and buffs for you while adventuring across your lands. Such as immunity to poison, bonuses to attack rolls, etc. These can be extremely powerful.

-The more your stats lower, the lower the stability of your empire becomes and risks falling apart, incurring a game over. Thankfully this hasn't been a problem for me most of the game even despite being a greedy tyrant that terrorizes his people under ruthless law. You get ample opportunity to keep it up and you can use large amounts of BP for certain emergency card events that will pop up and allow you keep yourself out of the red.

-You can buy BP with gold aswell and good lord is there a lot of gold in this game, especially if you sell unique items. I spend most of mine on BP.

-The long term effects of your schemes and policies sometimes pop up in quests or in kingdom stat buffs or penalties. Such as if you accepted a proposal to get all your soldiers hopped up on an alchemical drug/potion that makes your soldiers braver and more powerful while also frying their brains a little. The consequence of that is your military stat raises but if your military advisor fails a problem card event, they also might take more of a hit from in the future.

-You can acquire artisans that will also personally develop unique and magical equipment for you and deliver the results to you once a month in the throne room, you can even request certain types of gear or item. Their items become better as you do more personal quests, upgrade their shops and raise your kingdom stat ranks.

-Make nice with ancient ghosts or necromancers and you can even get stone golem workers or undead guards in your lands which have certain bonuses of their own (the dead don't get tired so they decrease the amount of time needed to build stuff in your villages and captial).

Long story short, its fucking great if you go all in on the premise.

Of course, you can just set kingdom management to auto mode, ignore all of that and just play it like a more straightforward CRPG too.

I love the characters, I've fallen in love with the setting, Its just really got its hooks in me over the past few months and I'm chomping at the bits waiting for its sequel to launch next week.

By next week you mean this Thursday, right? Release day is the 2nd, and those who've preordered can start their pre-loading now.

steam_sig.png
    SanderJK wrote: »

It was ClientRegistry.blob but I do not see it in my steam folder

Ah hah, reddit has the data
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/2ggaz2/no_clientregistryblob/

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Didn't Valve come out and say "Hey, stop deleting that. Deleting it causes more problems than it solves."

I can't find anything, so maybe that's just a product of my feverish imagination.

• ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    Reminds me of Toy Soldiers, which was an excellent TD game back in the day, I played the shit out of it on XBLA.

Toy Soldiers 1 and Cold War were amazing. Though, overall, I’m more fond of the first one due to the collectibles being items from the daily lives of Great War soldiers. And the classy presentation, with a random selection of popular songs, from WWI era recordings, playing over top of the title screen.

It’s a shame that War Chest was so unfocused, with a disjointed campaign that left no feeling of accomplishment, just busywork. A wasted opportunity, since while most of the licensed properties felt out of place, the playable GI Joe and Cobra factions were a joy to collect and use, with most of the toys from the early Hasbro line represented. They also had a really cool homegrown sci-fi army faction called Phantom, with a neat premise and designs that I’d buy model kits of.

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

Toy Soldiers 1 and Cold War were amazing. Though, overall, I’m more fond of the first one due to the collectibles being items from the daily lives of Great War soldiers. And the classy presentation, with a random selection of popular songs, from WWI era recordings, playing over top of the title screen.

It’s a shame that War Chest was so unfocused, with a disjointed campaign that left no feeling of accomplishment, just busywork. A wasted opportunity, since while most of the licensed properties felt out of place, the playable GI Joe and Cobra factions were a joy to collect and use, with most of the toys from the early Hasbro line represented. They also had a really cool homegrown sci-fi army faction called Phantom, with a neat premise and designs that I’d buy model kits of.

Similarly, Toy soldiers was a great film.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0103112/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

steam_sig.png
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Game is out this Thursday; unless you mean when you'll have a chance to play it. Otherwise Wrath of the Righteous is releasing at 12PM EST on Thursday.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »

Similarly, Toy soldiers was a great film.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0103112/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Not gonna lie my first thought was this masterpiece instead

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122718/

Wow, really? I thought the same thing?

This discussion has been closed.