As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Talith wrote: »
    Sounds like Dragalia Lost's death knell has been sounded and I still find it surprising they never did anything else with the IP, especially on the Switch.

Why? What happened?
    Regarding Future Content Releases
    Hello! Yuji Okada here, director of Dragalia Lost.

As always, thank you for your continued passion for and support of Dragalia Lost. I'd like to take this opportunity to inform you of some upcoming changes to the game's content release schedule.

Starting this November, the game's development and management structure will undergo some changes accompanied by a reduction in the amount of content released each month going forward.

In particular, the number of new adventurers and dragons added to the game each month will change, and starting in December, new onslaught, defensive, and coliseum events will no longer be added (though existing ones will return at regular intervals). Please note that these details may change without prior notice.

Please rest assured that we are hard at work developing content for the game's third anniversary in late September and beyond, and we will continue to hold events and release main campaign chapters that we hope will delight and entertain players going forward.

Thank you for playing Dragalia Lost.

That kind of talk is usually followed by the end of service in a few months. The DL thread here doesn't seem to be active either, not that that in itself is any indication of the health of a game, but it certainly doesn't look good as an outsider.

Hmmm... to be fair, those particular events actually kind of suck (it could just be that they aren't popular enough to keep making). It's honestly hard to say though. I dunno about the reduction of new characters and dragons. Part of me suspects they want to move developers off this game on to other Cygames titles which are maybe doing better? (Princess Connect just launched not long ago in the US and I know they have some kind of dragon game coming). But if that's a death knell or not, I'm not sure.

I dunno, I guess we'll see. I hope the game isn't dying tho - I still enjoy it.

Priconne is a Crunchyroll thing, they're handling all the localization. Likewise I think Kakao is handling the global localization for World Flipper. But unlike those, Dragalia Lost is a worldwide simultaneous release, and that localization may be harder on CyGames especially with multiple characters and dragons along the road.

But yeah, keeping my eyes on it for now.

They don't handle the localization but they're still the primary developers on those games. So I could see them saying "Hey we want to focus more dev resources on these games" and pulling some devs off Dragalia (maybe particularly art resources? I could see that being some of the more time-consuming stuff for new characters and dragons especially). Honestly, these changes in particular are not that bad - just so long as they aren't a bad sign of the game ending.

But yeah, we'll see

Random side note - I've always wished they'd bring Dragalia Lost over to the Switch. Not the exact same game, but sort of turn the whole thing into an action RPG like Secret of Mana but with a lot of unlockable characters and party combos. I think that could be pretty cool.

True. To be honest this is probably CyGames pulling people from Dragalia Lost (and GBF to a lesser extent) to work on Uma Musume where they're making money hand over fist (and Priconne to a lesser extent).

There was a short-lived series of horse racing DVDs in Japan that just had crazy-ass parodies of horse racing. They were just a stupid joke thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2HOdLeUC0E

Those made more sense to me than the popularity of that fucking horse girl racing game.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I do wish they'd make another Pocket Card Jockey though

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Sounds like Dragalia Lost's death knell has been sounded and I still find it surprising they never did anything else with the IP, especially on the Switch.

Why? What happened?
    Regarding Future Content Releases
    Hello! Yuji Okada here, director of Dragalia Lost.

As always, thank you for your continued passion for and support of Dragalia Lost. I'd like to take this opportunity to inform you of some upcoming changes to the game's content release schedule.

Starting this November, the game's development and management structure will undergo some changes accompanied by a reduction in the amount of content released each month going forward.

In particular, the number of new adventurers and dragons added to the game each month will change, and starting in December, new onslaught, defensive, and coliseum events will no longer be added (though existing ones will return at regular intervals). Please note that these details may change without prior notice.

Please rest assured that we are hard at work developing content for the game's third anniversary in late September and beyond, and we will continue to hold events and release main campaign chapters that we hope will delight and entertain players going forward.

Thank you for playing Dragalia Lost.

That kind of talk is usually followed by the end of service in a few months. The DL thread here doesn't seem to be active either, not that that in itself is any indication of the health of a game, but it certainly doesn't look good as an outsider.

Hmmm... to be fair, those particular events actually kind of suck (it could just be that they aren't popular enough to keep making). It's honestly hard to say though. I dunno about the reduction of new characters and dragons. Part of me suspects they want to move developers off this game on to other Cygames titles which are maybe doing better? (Princess Connect just launched not long ago in the US and I know they have some kind of dragon game coming). But if that's a death knell or not, I'm not sure.

I dunno, I guess we'll see. I hope the game isn't dying tho - I still enjoy it.

Priconne is a Crunchyroll thing, they're handling all the localization. Likewise I think Kakao is handling the global localization for World Flipper. But unlike those, Dragalia Lost is a worldwide simultaneous release, and that localization may be harder on CyGames especially with multiple characters and dragons along the road.

But yeah, keeping my eyes on it for now.

They don't handle the localization but they're still the primary developers on those games. So I could see them saying "Hey we want to focus more dev resources on these games" and pulling some devs off Dragalia (maybe particularly art resources? I could see that being some of the more time-consuming stuff for new characters and dragons especially). Honestly, these changes in particular are not that bad - just so long as they aren't a bad sign of the game ending.

But yeah, we'll see

Random side note - I've always wished they'd bring Dragalia Lost over to the Switch. Not the exact same game, but sort of turn the whole thing into an action RPG like Secret of Mana but with a lot of unlockable characters and party combos. I think that could be pretty cool.

True. To be honest this is probably CyGames pulling people from Dragalia Lost (and GBF to a lesser extent) to work on Uma Musume where they're making money hand over fist (and Priconne to a lesser extent).

There was a short-lived series of horse racing DVDs in Japan that just had crazy-ass parodies of horse racing. They were just a stupid joke thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2HOdLeUC0E

Those made more sense to me than the popularity of that fucking horse girl racing game.

I would kill for this to be an actual game

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

There was an actual web game of it, which was just betting on who would win and then it would play videos at random.

(Never bet on the two guys in the horse suit, they ALWAYS fall over.)

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Xaquin wrote: »

There was an actual web game of it, which was just betting on who would win and then it would play videos at random.

(Never bet on the two guys in the horse suit, they ALWAYS fall over.)

I'm pretty sure there's one video for each different 'horse' winning. That particular one in the above video is the last one at the very end (starting at about 24:20).

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Speaking of April O' Neil:

https://youtu.be/29BpxAr7_eQ

Call April O'Neil in on this case, and
    You'd better hurry up, there's no time to waste!
    We need help, like quick, on the double
    Have pity on the city, man it's in trouble!

I'm not. I mean, it's Nintendo's property, right?

I'll bet most of Mario Kart Tour's content never leaves mobile, either.

Probably get like.. double-babies before we get Kamek or some of those costumes or track themes on a console. Baby Baby Mario.
    anoffday wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    I'm sad that "a normal star fox game" seems to just be remakes of the first one.

I like Assault quite a bit, and I would've loved a further sequel from Command.

Or like, a redo of Adventures, with Fox on the flying continents and Krystal on the main planet.

I still need to play adventures. Wasn't that originally not even going to be a starfox game?

I wish they'd do more with starfox license too. I think it'd be cool if we got a tactics style turn based game using arwings.

Yeah, Adventures was an original Rare IP, Dinosaur Planet. They made the mistake of having an anthropomorphic Fox as the lead, Miyamoto saw it, and we were off to the Lylatt System!

Star Fox strategy would be cool, but I don't know if Nintendo would be interested with Fire Emblem and Advance Wars in their portfolio, with Mario & Rabbids on the side.

Unless they came up with something unique enough, of course. I'd fear it would be real-time strategy, and I'm just not a fan of those.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Welp, I'm officially moving on from Ye Olde TWEWY to NEO TWEWY.

I did just about everything I can do that isn't crazy. I got every drop at all difficulties from the Noise List. Did the time attack on Ultimate in under 10 minutes. Got every secret report, including Another Day and A New Day. Etc.

I'd probably complete the pin mastery list (I'm around 75%) item list (I'm around 90%) if the 6's part of your ESP'er rank weren't a crazy ludicrous number of points to complete. No thanks. This is probably the only design decision in all of TWEWY that I disagree with. Such a wasteful grind. For bragging rights. Who wants to brag about wasting their own time? That kind of crap needs to go away forever.

Anyway, finally on to NEO TWEWY. I had played a few minutes of the demo but I didn't want to spoil it so I'm just going to start over.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Hey Switch thread!

I had $9.36 on a gift Visa rebate card that was set to expire in a few days. After looking around everywhere for something to buy, I couldn't find anything under that price. And since most online stores don't allow split payments, I was forced to spend it on something or lose out.

So my loss is your win!

I searched through the Amazon store for digital games on the Switch under $9 and got Bioshock: Infinite the Complete collection for $8.82 after tax. But since I already own the game on Steam, I'm giving it away to someone here!

If you want a chance to win, simply type "ME!" or whatever and I'll add you to a list. At a random time tomorrow, I'll roll a die to determine the winner. If I haven't rolled, that means you can still enter.

Just so we're clear, this is a digital game code and I'll PM the winner the code.

Good luck!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    That’s pretty cool of you, man. Portable Bioshock wouldn’t be bad to have so I’d like a chance. Thanks.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Hey Switch thread!

I had $9.36 on a gift card that was set to expire in a few days. After looking around everywhere for something to buy, I couldn't find anything under that price. And since most online stores don't allow split payments, I was forced to spend it on something or lose out.

So my loss is your win!

I searched through the Amazon store for digital games on the Switch under $9 and got Bioshock: Infinite the Complete collection for $8.82 after tax. But since I already own the game on Steam, I'm giving it away to someone here!

If you want a chance to win, simply type "ME!" or whatever and I'll add you to a list. At a random time tomorrow, I'll roll a die to determine the winner. If I haven't rolled, that means you can still enter.

Just so we're clear, this is a digital game code and I'll PM the winner the code.

Good luck!

When you say "split payments", do you mean between multiple gift cards because you only intend to pay in gift cards? Because otherwise... literally every web store I've ever used has allowed for using the gift card and then paying the remainder with your main payment option (CC or whatever). That does include Nintendo's. Not to dissuade you from giving it away if that's what you'd like to do, just saying... that's not a thing?

God damn the TWEWY series has style. Been playing NEO TWEWY for the past few hours and I love it.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Micro-transactions and no story is an accurate description of the arcade scene. But I forget myself. Old thing better than new thing

Wait, you take that back about skeeball. It had this great story of how you had to send the homeless balls down the lane into their homes. Once they were in their homes all safe and sound they would reward you by giving you tickets. At least that's what my friends told me and... wait... t
    Hey Switch thread!

I had $9.36 on a gift card that was set to expire in a few days. After looking around everywhere for something to buy, I couldn't find anything under that price. And since most online stores don't allow split payments, I was forced to spend it on something or lose out.

So my loss is your win!

Good luck!

Sure I'll be your experimental hamster.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    edited August 2021
    Hey Switch thread!

So my loss is your win!

Good luck!

When you say "split payments", do you mean between multiple gift cards because you only intend to pay in gift cards? Because otherwise... literally every web store I've ever used has allowed for using the gift card and then paying the remainder with your main payment option (CC or whatever). That does include Nintendo's. Not to dissuade you from giving it away if that's what you'd like to do, just saying... that's not a thing?

No, it wasn't a gift card (updated my post to reflect that), but rather a prepaid Visa card that I got as a rebate for buying contact lenses. So technically it counts as a credit card transaction, which most places seem to not like to do. Probably because they get double charged or whatever.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Put me on the list, I guess.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Hey Switch thread!

I had $9.36 on a gift Visa rebate card that was set to expire in a few days. After looking around everywhere for something to buy, I couldn't find anything under that price. And since most online stores don't allow split payments, I was forced to spend it on something or lose out.

So my loss is your win!

Good luck!

I'll take a shot! Thanks!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Well, I made my first "Steam Deck or Nintendo Switch" decision. I've been dragging my feet on Great Ace Attorney American Hamburger Game Bundle Edition because I'm not ready to play it due to other gaming priorities, but since it comes with a free mini-soundtrack if you buy it by August 31st, I went ahead and did it.

I definitely want to play it handheld but I went with the Steam Deck in the end.

The worst part of this story is how much mental space I allowed Capcom to briefly occupy. I mean I'm glad they finally ported Grape Ice Attorney but where is my goddamned Miles Edgeworth Investigations 2? I still don't forgive them.

I’m going to start calling people zeptograms on Twitter and Facebook.

And at work.

OK, let's see who wins a copy of Bioshock: Infinite!
    • Ridley Saria (1)
    • Betsuni (2)
    • Enlong (3)
    • SyphonBlue (4)

vgh3t1q1vl42.png

Congrats @SyphonBlue! Check your PMs for the code.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    OK, let's see who wins a copy of Bioshock: Infinite!
    • Ridley Saria (1)
    • Betsuni (2)
    • Enlong (3)
    • SyphonBlue (4)

vgh3t1q1vl42.png

Congrats @SyphonBlue! Check your PMs for the code.

Awesome! Thank you!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    If anyone is interested, (a) the Switch version of Spelunky seems to work great, and (b) I am very, very bad at Spelunky.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I am probably going to end up buying Spelunky 2 for the third time. Four times isn't even necessarily off the table if a physical release happens.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Which is weird because Fire Emblem Heroes is right fucking there.

It's weird but I swear FEH and Dragalia kind of swapped places in the "exploitative" market. FEH used to be super F2P friendly and stuff while Dragalia was pretty bad about it (especially before I started playing when freaking wyrmprints were part of the summons). Now I feel like FEH is really, really milking whales and Dragalia has gotten really generous with wyrmite and free pull tickets and stuff. Of all my gachas I easily spend the most in FEH which makes me sad :(

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    All micro transaction monetized games are unethical.

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    All micro transaction monetized games are unethical.

That’s a super broad statement to make, and I don’t agree with it. Not gonna defend gachas, no way no how, but devs should get paid for their work.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    My problem with MTX is there's no ceiling. While it's true that it's not the devs' fault that some people lack the self control to reign in their MTX spending, it is their fault for designing monetization systems intended to exploit them.

Oddly enough, Pokémon Picross had a good method where you could start for free, buy some MTX bullshit to keep playing, but if you spent a certain amount, they just removed the pay-wall completely and let you play the rest of the game.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    My problem with MTX is there's no ceiling. While it's true that it's not the devs' fault that some people lack the self control to reign in their MTX spending, it is their fault for designing monetization systems intended to exploit them.

Oddly enough, Pokémon Picross had a good method where you could start for free, buy some MTX bullshit to keep playing, but if you spent a certain amount, they just removed the pay-wall completely and let you play the rest of the game.

Yeah, there were a few games like this on 3DS. IIRC Kirby Clash and Pokémon Rumble Rush were also like that. I don’t know that they were worth $40, but that’s what they capped out at.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah but think about how those poor devs wouldn't be able to milk their fanbase due to sunk cost fallacy.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Hey Switch thread!

So my loss is your win!

Good luck!

No, it wasn't a gift card (updated my post to reflect that), but rather a prepaid Visa card that I got as a rebate for buying contact lenses. So technically it counts as a credit card transaction, which most places seem to not like to do. Probably because they get double charged or whatever.

Why not just buy amazon credit?

can you feel the struggle within?
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Microtransactions aren't inherently evil, but gacha is. And the latter has expanded to be like 95% of microtransactions by volume probably.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    id love to play a mobile game that was just free or just had it's cost. swearing off gacha means i'm basically not mobile gaming anymore

initiatefailure on
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Super Mario Run is the only Nintendo mobile game where you can just pay once. Part time UFO started as a mobile game you buy for a set price as well.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    id love the play a mobile game that was just free or just had it's cost. swearing off gacha means i'm basically not mobile gaming anymore

There're some smaller mobile games to check out, but longer more complete titles? ehhhhh.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I always think I'd like to get more into mobile gaming, but as I search through the play store I always just end up getting more and more discouraged by the sheer amount of crap.

Steam: offday
    edited August 2021
    Polaritie wrote: »

Microtransactions aren't inherently evil, but gacha is. And the latter has expanded to be like 95% of microtransactions by volume probably.

There are also frustration traps that aren't gacha. Like, the big issue with Dungeon Keeper some years ago was just how much it locked stuff out behind days-long build timers, unless you shelled out cash for everys tep of the way. 100% guaranteed stuff, but damn.

Enlong on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

There are also frustration traps that aren't gacha. Like, the big issue with Dungeon Keeper some years ago was just how much it locked stuff out behind days-long build timers, unless you shelled out cash for everys tep of the way. 100% guaranteed stuff, but damn.

True. I should be clear - I mean that not all microtransaction setups are evil, but all gacha setups are. There's definitely other ways to be evil with them. On the other hand, I don't really have a problem with stuff like fighting games selling new characters.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular

True. I should be clear - I mean that not all microtransaction setups are evil, but all gacha setups are. There's definitely other ways to be evil with them. On the other hand, I don't really have a problem with stuff like fighting games selling new characters.

I don't consider DLC purchases to be microtransations. You are playing a specific price for a concrete good. If you are selling 'boosts', in game currency, multipliers or whatever, that's where it crosses the line into being exploitative and unethical. All those tactics serve to do is obfuscate the true cost of the game from the consumer, which is flat out illegal in most other circumstances.

We might need more specific terms. I see "microtransaction", and my first thought is to any purchase that's smaller or separate from the main transaction of buying the game itself. Which would encompass DLCs, boosts, and currency.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Yeah, I also always saw DLC as separate and more in line with what we would call expansion packs back in the day.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    anoffday wrote: »
    Yeah, I also always saw DLC as separate and more in line with what we would call expansion packs back in the day.

I never thought I would be nostalgic for expansion packs.... mannnnnnnn

<= is teh olds

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282