As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Homeowner/House] Thread. How long is it going to take? Two weeks!

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    I'm not much a fan of traditional toggle bolts. Too fiddly with the nut not able to hold itself in the wall and they don't even fill the hole you leave in the wall.
    I really like the ones in this style for heavy duty applications:
    kdrf9v6bzwug.jpg

They're usually called something like "strap anchors" or "flip toggles". The backing part can hold itself in the wall and fills in the hole.
    Though for most applications those anchors that are a big chonky screw thread are good enough.

This video is fun.
    https://youtu.be/lHb-Tcvkn7M
    My field crew loves those EZ anchors.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    So I noticed our water getting hard again, causing buildup and a sticky shower valve. Measured at 20gpg. Ran a manual regeneration on the water softener, and it shit out a big pile of resin beads in the discharge. Now the water measures at 30gpg, same as the hose outside. So that thing is shot. Went out and bought a new one, have a plumber coming to swap it out tomorrow.

Our washer (LG front loader) causes water hammer. I've been too lazy to fix it and just live with the noise. But now I'm wondering if the water hammer could have damaged the water softener and caused it to fail?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I use the e-z anchors (like the first ones in the video, only plastic) for most things because they're easy to install and generally strong enough.

Downside if the thing they're holding gets pulled on / wiggled around, they can gradually make the hole bigger until they come loose, because drywall isn't very resilient against that sort of gradual chipping-away by the screw threads.

• Options
    I use the e-z anchors (like the first ones in the video, only plastic) for most things because they're easy to install and generally strong enough.

Downside if the thing they're holding gets pulled on / wiggled around, they can gradually make the hole bigger until they come loose, because drywall isn't very resilient against that sort of gradual chipping-away by the screw threads.
    Oh my crew likes the e-z anchor drywall toggles, because they hold well and they can be installed fast. They can zip 3 or 4 of them in and throw up some shelving.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Yeah, for shelves or something that's fairly stable they're great -- but we have a curtain holdback that's fixed in place by those, and it's slowly coming loose over time because of it gets wiggling around in use / if someone leans on it, etc, so at some stage I'm going to have to replace the e-z anchors with a more standard sort of toggle bolt.

(edit: hang on, I just noticed you already said the toggle versions, I'm talking about the ones that are just a big sort of spiral thing)

djmitchella on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I always go overboard with anchors. Plastic with ridges and wings on the sides that brace into the wall.

Something that if much larger would definitely be a story told by the ER team that had to remove it from a rectum.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    So I noticed our water getting hard again, causing buildup and a sticky shower valve. Measured at 20gpg. Ran a manual regeneration on the water softener, and it shit out a big pile of resin beads in the discharge. Now the water measures at 30gpg, same as the hose outside. So that thing is shot. Went out and bought a new one, have a plumber coming to swap it out tomorrow.

Our washer (LG front loader) causes water hammer. I've been too lazy to fix it and just live with the noise. But now I'm wondering if the water hammer could have damaged the water softener and caused it to fail?

water softeners need to be regenerated from time to time; did your softener come with any instructions on how to do this?

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

water softeners need to be regenerated from time to time; did your softener come with any instructions on how to do this?

Yeah it regenerates automatically. You can also regenerate manually by pressing a button. Did that and it shit out its resin. Has been working fine for 6 years until just recently.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    So my brother is moving into our house in a few weeks, and his current apartment has cockroaches. We have told him he needs to rent a trailer and bug bomb his stuff. He maintains that this is silly and doesn't do anything.

I am finding all sorts of opinions on this all over the place. What say you?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    DecatusDecatus Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    So my brother is moving into our house in a few weeks, and his current apartment has cockroaches. We have told him he needs to rent a trailer and bug bomb his stuff. He maintains that this is silly and doesn't do anything.

I'd 100% make him do it. Your house, your rules and I wouldn't fuck around with roaches or any other pest.

PSN: decatus90
  • Options
    Decatus wrote: »

I'd 100% make him do it. Your house, your rules and I wouldn't fuck around with roaches or any other pest.

Oh he'll do what I tell him and I'm firm about this, but I'm also intrrested to know if it actually does anything.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Better safe than sorry. Eggs can last a long time.

EDIT: Think of it this way. How much to bomb all his stuff vs how much for you to bomb the entire house.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I would separate it between cloths kitchen and furniture. Bug bomb the furniture. Cloths to the laundrymat (or dry cleaner but not your house) kitchen stuff just hand carry and check.

zepherin on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Oh thanks for this, I guess I know my next purchase.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Oh thanks for this, I guess I know my next purchase.

At lest for ours, I just screwed onto the hot & cold water lines, then attached the hoses from the washer. They're actually "Sioux Chief" brand, but should be the same.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

Oh my crew likes the e-z anchor drywall toggles, because they hold well and they can be installed fast. They can zip 3 or 4 of them in and throw up some shelving.

Those look good. One question, does the toggle flip back when you unscrew them? If they ever have to be removed again?

• Options
    edited August 2021
    honovere wrote: »

Those look good. One question, does the toggle flip back when you unscrew them? If they ever have to be removed again?
    No. Those you push into the wall and patch the hole. I think there’s a way to get them out, but I don’t know anyone who’s bothered to do it.

zepherin on
  • Options
    JimBobtheMonkeyJimBobtheMonkey Registered User regular
    I would separate it between cloths kitchen and furniture. Bug bomb the furniture. Cloths to the laundrymat (or dry cleaner but not your house) kitchen stuff just hand carry and check.
    Any electronics should be treated as well. Roaches love them, they're a perfect enclosed and warm place to make home. Either bomb them too or at least quarantine them in a trailer/shed with a bunch of gel bait traps.

• Options

No. Those you push into the wall and patch the hole. I think there’s a way to get them out, but I don’t know anyone who’s bothered to do it.

Twist!

Although the e z toggles are from Häfele, a German company, e z toggles do not exist in Germany. So back to self drilling anchors and molly bolts then.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Has anyone had Solar installed on their home? I'm curious how the installation went or has there been any issues from storms and having things anchored to the roof?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Any electronics should be treated as well. Roaches love them, they're a perfect enclosed and warm place to make home. Either bomb them too or at least quarantine them in a trailer/shed with a bunch of gel bait traps.

Years ago I worked at a dinky little computer repair shop. A Mexican restaurant was opening next to us and the owner brought in an old computer for us to repair. It smelled like death and was positively infested with those little German Cockroaches. The first time I powered it on a few of them came flying out of the PSU exhaust in pieces. I took it outside and spent a while blowing it out as best as I could. We ended up having to call an exterminator because a few weeks later we were still finding roaches.

I say bomb the electronics and clean them later.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

Years ago I worked at a dinky little computer repair shop. A Mexican restaurant was opening next to us and the owner brought in an old computer for us to repair. It smelled like death and was positively infested with those little German Cockroaches. The first time I powered it on a few of them came flying out of the PSU exhaust in pieces. I took it outside and spent a while blowing it out as best as I could. We ended up having to call an exterminator because a few weeks later we were still finding roaches.

I say bomb the electronics and clean them later.

I know our policy is if there are any bugs in a device being worked on, we double trash bag the device and tape it shut, and then require the client to immediately pick up the computer. Pretty sure we get rid of the computer if they don't come in a week.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I picked up a drywall cutout tool this week, and it just happens to come with the best tool Milwaukee has ever made.

Qkyf7xS.jpg?1

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I am the proud owner of a large hole.
    7kdvzqweheby.jpg

• Options
    Not to be judgey, but kind of looks like half a hole...

• Options
    Don't be an a-hole about my hole, eh?

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    This concept of getting in heavy earth moving equipment is so foreign to me. In the sense that I have literally never lived in or owned a property where that was a remotely practical solution due to either space or verticality.

• Options
    Don't be an a-hole about my hole, eh?

No it's a very nice hole. I'm sure you'll fill it completely.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    There's a hole in your hole.

• Options
    Xzibit was our excavator.

My neighbour is also installing a pool but he's a know-it-all and is actively out there micro-managing the team. The guy told me today that our pool will be done a full week ahead of his because he's a) very needy and b) an arsehole

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

My neighbour is also installing a pool but he's a know-it-all and is actively out there micro-managing the team. The guy told me today that our pool will be done a full week ahead of his because he's a) very needy and b) an arsehole

Trusting your contractors is like..rule number one. Ask for referrals and talk to your team. If you trust them just let them do their jobs.

If you don't trust them go back to rule number one!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Trusting your contractors is like..rule number one. Ask for referrals and talk to your team. If you trust them just let them do their jobs.

Yup, asked a contractor this morning if it'd be too much trouble to get a door switched around to open the other way.

"Yeah, we'd have to do this this and this."

"Okay nvm then I can live with it as is, I'm going to work, getting out of your hair, have a good day."

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Yup, asked a contractor this morning if it'd be too much trouble to get a door switched around to open the other way.

"Yeah, we'd have to do this this and this."

"Okay nvm then I can live with it as is, I'm going to work, getting out of your hair, have a good day."

IMO this is one of the most important skills a general contractor can have - and one a lot of regular tradespeople lack.

Essentially, if I have an idea for something I just want for you to talk me through the options, dependencies, and alternatives so that I can make an informed decision.

• Options
    Something baffling in the new place. There's ethernet ports in the hallway, kid's room, and bedroom. So far so good.

The telephone socket is in the living room. On the other side of the hallway. Where there is no ethernet port.

Am I supposed to run a cable from the router along the living room wall, through a door, across the the hallway to the next ethernet port?

• Options
    Something baffling in the new place. There's ethernet ports in the hallway, kid's room, and bedroom. So far so good.

The telephone socket is in the living room. On the other side of the hallway. Where there is no ethernet port.

Am I supposed to run a cable from the router along the living room wall, through a door, across the the hallway to the next ethernet port?

Is DSL your only option? Could be that the former owners used a cable provider?

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Most electricians will run Cat5 instead of Cat3 for internal phone wiring. However they'll typically daisy chain the pairs together so you don't get home runs back to your demark.

• Options
    I'll talke with the ISP technician when he comes on monday to set up our connection.

It's a 5 year old building and I think the local ISP has exclusive rights or something? No other ISP could provide us with a connection, except 4/5g mobile net for home use.

• Options
    Had slit seeding done today on a big section of my lawn that's mostly dirt and scattered weeds. I'm supposed to water daily but with current watering restrictions I can only water every other day. Will that be sufficient?

I tried calling the city to get a watering permit for new seed and they said they are only doing that for new sod, but not for new seed. Hoping I'm not shit out of luck here.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Most electricians will run Cat5 instead of Cat3 for internal phone wiring. However they'll typically daisy chain the pairs together so you don't get home runs back to your demark.

Newer construction is more likely to have home runs, since electricians are willing to future proof the layout.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
This discussion has been closed.