As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek] Keep On Trekkin' (Lower Decks stuff in SPOILERS)

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Lower Decks season one question
    does anyone else know that Mariner is the captains daughter? I think it only was mentioned in the first episode and hasn't come up again

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Riker wasn't on Discovery, though Frakes did direct a couple eps.

I wouldn’t put it past them to
    have him show up as a hologram or recording in the 32nd Century

Also, Garak needs to show up on Lower Decks for some reason. Any reason, really. Just as long as he gives multiple conflicting but believable explanations.

Spoilers for Lower Decks Season 2, Episode 3:
    Now that we know Mariner served on DS9, I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Also, given the show's timeframe, it's increasingly likely that Mariner is a Dominion War veteran. It would explain a lot about her behavior and authority issues.

I would say it could go a step further than that.
    I think it might explain why she has been on so many ships. The fight with the Dominion destroyed a whole lot of ships. Mariner might have had a lot of practice in surviving the worst possible situation
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    does anyone else know that Mariner is the causing daughter? I think it only was mentioned in the first episode and hasn't come up again

No.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    does anyone else know that Mariner is the causing daughter? I think it only was mentioned in the first episode and hasn't come up again

this will come up, don't worry

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    The season one lower Decks finale is flat out a fantastic episode of star trek

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I think the last five fantastic episodes of star trek all come from the zany animated show.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    So, classic Trek games may be coming to GOG.

I hope it's real, because walking around Voyager on Elite Force again would be dope as fuck.

And, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm going to word vomit my platonic ideal for a Star Trek game. You're most welcome.
    1. Two general fields of gameplay: space exploration and away mission encounters. While combat would be a core pillar of the game, there'd be equal focus on scientific inquiry and diplomacy. Like the Deus Ex games, there would always be a non-violent solution to a conflict—though not necessarily one that's acceptable.

2. Space Combat. It'd be a variation of turn-based strategy similar to Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock. Each side determines a course/attacks while paused, and then everyone's choices play out at once in real-time. The object is to predict your opponent while playing to your ship's strengths. Flying a Galaxy should be radically different from an Intrepid.

3. Space Exploration. As with combat, your ship type will determine whether you're capable of solving—or even finding—anomalies. For example, an Intrepid has better sensors and lab facilities than a Defiant. Anomalies can also be as dangerous as combat—players are encouraged to pick their battles and never assume they can succeed.

4. Ship Customization. Players would be able to choose general ship class, then further tailor their vessels in whatever way they chose. Build your Galaxy as a floating research hospital or a battleship. The choice—and consequences—are yours.

5. Away Missions. Grid-based strategy like XCOM2. But not a total focus on combat. Imagine first contact encounters where you have to break the communication barrier while deescalating potential hostilities, or diplomatic encounters where you have to keep warring parties at the negotiating table.

6. Crew Customization and Interaction. Classic Bioware-level companion characters.

7. Oh, it's also a generational epic starting with Kirk's era in the 2260s and progressing all the way to the post-Dominion War in 2380s. Have recurring characters from long-lived species whose roles in the story would shift over time. Imagine a Romulan whose a young idealist in the 2260s, perhaps even a romance option, who becomes a mentor to succeeding generations. Or a master manipulator using the future characters as pawns in their own battles.

/rant

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Oh shit. I was just thinking the other day how much I miss Elite Force! Shut up and take my latinum!

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    just hit s2 of enterprise and the ending stinger of

T'pol: i still don't believe in time travel
    archer: the hell you don't

is perfect

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

I hope it's real, because walking around Voyager on Elite Force again would be dope as fuck.

And, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm going to word vomit my platonic ideal for a Star Trek game. You're most welcome.
    1. Two general fields of gameplay: space exploration and away mission encounters. While combat would be a core pillar of the game, there'd be equal focus on scientific inquiry and diplomacy. Like the Deus Ex games, there would always be a non-violent solution to a conflict—though not necessarily one that's acceptable.

2. Space Combat. It'd be a variation of turn-based strategy similar to Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock. Each side determines a course/attacks while paused, and then everyone's choices play out at once in real-time. The object is to predict your opponent while playing to your ship's strengths. Flying a Galaxy should be radically different from an Intrepid.

3. Space Exploration. As with combat, your ship type will determine whether you're capable of solving—or even finding—anomalies. For example, an Intrepid has better sensors and lab facilities than a Defiant. Anomalies can also be as dangerous as combat—players are encouraged to pick their battles and never assume they can succeed.

4. Ship Customization. Players would be able to choose general ship class, then further tailor their vessels in whatever way they chose. Build your Galaxy as a floating research hospital or a battleship. The choice—and consequences—are yours.

5. Away Missions. Grid-based strategy like XCOM2. But not a total focus on combat. Imagine first contact encounters where you have to break the communication barrier while deescalating potential hostilities, or diplomatic encounters where you have to keep warring parties at the negotiating table.

6. Crew Customization and Interaction. Classic Bioware-level companion characters.

7. Oh, it's also a generational epic starting with Kirk's era in the 2260s and progressing all the way to the post-Dominion War in 2380s. Have recurring characters from long-lived species whose roles in the story would shift over time. Imagine a Romulan whose a young idealist in the 2260s, perhaps even a romance option, who becomes a mentor to succeeding generations. Or a master manipulator using the future characters as pawns in their own battles.

/rant
    Star Trek: Starfleet Command III

Starfleet Command III still has a rabid cult fanbase but iirc it's notoriously annoying to get to work in Win10. A GOG version would be pretty breakthrough.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I have two wants if this is heralding a new Star Trek video game renaissance.

A Starfleet Command 4 more in the style of 1 and 2; because the changes to 3 made the ships not feel NEARLY as large/ponderous as I think they should.

A Bridge Commander 2, because Bridge Commander is possibly the best Star Trek game ever made.

I'm a little sad to see no Starfleet Command 2/Orion Pirates in that list but hey, I'll take what I can get.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I also prefer 1/2/OP to (what little I've seen/played of) 3.

I got BC at one point, but never got very far with it, which is a shame. Distracted by other things and other games, from what I can recall.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    just hit s2 of enterprise and the ending stinger of

T'pol: i still don't believe in time travel
    archer: the hell you don't

is perfect

Enterprise has some amusing episodes amongst the drek but holy shit Season 3 is a slooooooooogggggg. I know S4 is where it gets really good but I'm having some serious problems mustering up the effort to plow through 3.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Starfleet Academy for PC had pretty great ship flying sections. I liked that I was clever enough that when going into a Mutara-esque nebula I could dump the shield energy into sensors so I could target things better.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

/rant

This would be Christmas come early for me! I think it was only a couple of weeks ago I was actually trying to see if there was any possibility of this and had pretty much resigned myself to never playing these things again.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I want a new Star Trek adventure game. Actually I want a ton of them, in different eras and styles with different mechanics to play around with, like the quasi-sim elements of Starfleet Academy from the SNES, to the action puzzles of the 16-bit console TNG games, but especially more like 25th Anniversary/Judgment Rites. Bonus points if they can get the Kelvin cast in.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I want a new Star Trek adventure game. Actually I want a ton of them, in different eras and styles with different mechanics to play around with, like the quasi-sim elements of Starfleet Academy from the SNES, to the action puzzles of the 16-bit console TNG games, but especially more like 25th Anniversary/Judgment Rites. Bonus points if they can get the Kelvin cast in.

I'd be really interested in a Star Trek Engineering puzzle game. Ship is up the shit, and you need to do repairs on a whole bunch of different things, and different things having unique styled puzzles.

Hillsfar lockpicking, System Shock bypasses, all sorts of different styles of puzzles, as the core mechanic.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

I'd be really interested in a Star Trek Engineering puzzle game. Ship is up the shit, and you need to do repairs on a whole bunch of different things, and different things having unique styled puzzles.

Hillsfar lockpicking, System Shock bypasses, all sorts of different styles of puzzles, as the core mechanic.

Alternatively, every puzzle is solveable by shoving a loose fistful of isolinear rods into it.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

Did you ever play the TNG game for NES and Gameboy? I think only like five people ever bought it, but it was basically this - it was a sim game (without a story, as far as I know, although interestingly it would have been really easy to add a story in with the tools already in the game) where you got an assignment from Starfleet like "go to planet xyz and beam down medical supplies" or "secure the space station abc against Ferengi raiders" or whatever, and each bridge station was a different minigame. Assuming standard orbit was a piloting minigame about flying through rings, beaming was an aiming minigame, Engineering was some kind of Tron puzzle, etc etc.

I wouldn't say it was great, because the aforementioned lack of story meant you played a couple of missions and kind of felt like you'd seen everything, but there was something there that could have been built on.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    just give me EGA trek and forget everything else

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I loved Elite Force and the Armada games so being able to play those again would be awesome (probably have the disks somewhere...but no disk drive).

I thought Bridge Crew was a successor to Bridge Commander, although since I dont have a VR headset I've never been able to try it out. I think its also multiplayer only which is its own thing as well.

• Options

Did you ever play the TNG game for NES and Gameboy? I think only like five people ever bought it, but it was basically this - it was a sim game (without a story, as far as I know, although interestingly it would have been really easy to add a story in with the tools already in the game) where you got an assignment from Starfleet like "go to planet xyz and beam down medical supplies" or "secure the space station abc against Ferengi raiders" or whatever, and each bridge station was a different minigame. Assuming standard orbit was a piloting minigame about flying through rings, beaming was an aiming minigame, Engineering was some kind of Tron puzzle, etc etc.

I wouldn't say it was great, because the aforementioned lack of story meant you played a couple of missions and kind of felt like you'd seen everything, but there was something there that could have been built on.

I had this on Game Gear. It was very. Very bad. The acceleration of your ship was all over the place so just trying to keep an enemy ship on your screen was almost impossible.

I think the engineering minigame of rerouting the power through systems was the only reasonable part.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Give me a new Star Trek Legacy game.

Personally I want a-not-so-Final Unity sequel

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    what's the one with the Borg nano probes that turn Starfleet Cadets in to Mass Effect characters?

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Id like someone to take another stab at Star Trek New Worlds, tried playing it as a kid and it was like impossibly hard. Zero explanation of how anything worked and buggy as fuck, I dont think I ever got passed the second level.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Was that the kind of nonsensical ground RTS where the Federation had tanks with saucer sections?

It's was damn near impossible because the AI was really bad, but had incredible cheats to offset it. It could build without resources, without waiting, and without the right buildings, just spamming every kind of unit out of their last couple bases if you managed to even kind of get ahead of them.

Hevach on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Was that the kind of nonsensical ground RTS where the Federation had tanks with saucer sections?

It's was damn near impossible because the AI was really bad, but had incredible cheats to offset it. It could build without resources, without waiting, and without the right buildings, just spamming every kind of unit out of their last couple bases if you managed to even kind of get ahead of them.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/star-trek-new-worlds/screenshots
    Don't see any saucers in the screenshots, but probably.

• Options
    PolarisPolaris I am powerless against the sky. Registered User regular
    Birth of the Federation I put too much time into. Klingon Academy was about the pinnacle of cruiser-level space combat sims imo - also notable for having a 2hr story with Christopher Plummer that dealt with (amongst other things) the reason why the Klingons were in such dire straights in ST6.

I also really liked the DS9 game "The Fallen", notable for having difficultly being different characters and interactions so the repeat plays were well worth it.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Polaris wrote: »
    Birth of the Federation I put too much time into. Klingon Academy was about the pinnacle of cruiser-level space combat sims imo - also notable for having a 2hr story with Christopher Plummer that dealt with (amongst other things) the reason why the Klingons were in such dire straights in ST6.

I also really liked the DS9 game "The Fallen", notable for having difficultly being different characters and interactions so the repeat plays were well worth it.

I somehow forgot all the time I sank into Birth of the Federation.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Polaris wrote: »

I somehow forgot all the time I sank into Birth of the Federation.

A redo of Birth with a modern day back end would be really good.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Star Trek in the format of Disco Elysium with maybe fewer drugs could be amazing. You would be a lieutenant or maybe first officer dealing with diplomatic missions and everything is a conversation.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    or maybe more drugs

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Yay! Lt Shaxs is back!

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    or maybe more drugs

Yes, absolutely more drugs. Space drugs, symbiotic-life-form drugs, sound drugs, ALL THE DRUGS.

But most importantly... the tie.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    Yay! Lt Shaxs is back!
    And brought back in the most perfect Star Trek way. He's just there. How? You don't ask! You never ask how they come back!

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Yay! Lt Shaxs is back!
    And brought back in the most perfect Star Trek way. He's just there. How? You don't ask! You never ask how they come back!
    Chances he dies once a season and comes back in a new way?

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I also love how the instant Tom Paris was mentioned they immediately use it to reference that episode.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I also love how the instant Tom Paris was mentioned they immediately use it to reference that episode.

You break the warp 10 barrier, but do people call you Tom the pioneer, no
    You build a shuttlecraft without any of the resources people usually have, but do people call you Tom the builder, no
    But you fuck one salamander....

sig.gif
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Dr. T'Ana is the best character

oh h*ck
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Dr. T'Ana is the best character

You misspelled Shax, Rutherford, Tendi, Ransom and Peanut Hamper.

This discussion has been closed.