As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dead Space Remake] Using the dismembered limbs of Visceral for profit

13

Posts

  • ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    Make sure you grab the Awakened DLC, actual end of the story aside, it was really good.

    It's so much better than the main game. You can tell it was made how they wanted to make it, and not with any executive interference.

    I have it downloaded. I'm only on chapter 4 of the main game though.

    I've built a line gun. Fear me

    xyrxwgh58ytr.jpg

    Nothing personal. It's just business.
    BloodySlothGenji-GlovesEtiowsa
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Lol I built a Semi auto carbine with an under barrel force gun.

    This is pretty cool once it stops trying to be 4/10 gears of war.

    I cannot understand why they started with "fight human enemies".

    Also (minor spoilers):
    Why did they decide to give Ellie a low cut top. WILDLY UNNECESSARY

    Karl on
    SorceGreen
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Why did they decide to give Ellie a low cut top. WILDLY UNNECESSARY
    Pretty much everything they did to Ellie in the third game was wildly unnecessary.

    5gsowHm.png
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Oh christ, there's a love triangle between:
    • Issac
    • Ellie
    • Nortan

    I will reiterate. WILDLY UNNECESSARY

    SyphonBlueShenl742Sorceun_rSyngyneAegeriOmnomnomPancake
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Yes everything involving Ellie in DS3 is fucking terrible. She was so good in DS2 and they completely ruined her in 3.

    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    FencingsaxSorcePreacherAegeriGreenForar
  • Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Oh christ, there's a love triangle between:
    • Issac
    • Ellie
    • Nortan

    I will reiterate. WILDLY UNNECESSARY

    It's especially egregious since I'm pretty sure
    both Isaac becoming a couple and breaking up occurs entirely off camera between 2 and 3.

    So not only is the love triangle a bad idea in principle, but there asking us to be be invested in a romance we never actually see!

    FC: 1907-8030-1478
    Fencingsax
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I know we love to put everything we don't like on executive meddling, but has there been any actual after-action interview with the devs or anything that confirms it? Like, is there actual proof that EA said "We want you to make Ellie 'sexier' and add a completely unnecessary love plot", or is it something the devs decided to do themselves?

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I know we love to put everything we don't like on executive meddling, but has there been any actual after-action interview with the devs or anything that confirms it? Like, is there actual proof that EA said "We want you to make Ellie 'sexier' and add a completely unnecessary love plot", or is it something the devs decided to do themselves?

    Well, co-op was plopped into the games development about halfway through, so it wasn't originally conceived as a 2 player game but "someone" has the idea late in the game to change gears which I think made the game suffer overall

    Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Most of it I can see (I distinctly remember speculation/assumption that we'd be getting co-op pretty much as soon as people reached the end of DS2), but the common assumption was that obviously it would be Issac and Ellie.

    My cynical imagination then pictures someone going "A playable woman? We'll just get called a Tomb Raider knock-off", and mandating a new partner, relegating the woman to the role of Damsel in Distress however badass she was before.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Fencingsax
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I know we love to put everything we don't like on executive meddling, but has there been any actual after-action interview with the devs or anything that confirms it? Like, is there actual proof that EA said "We want you to make Ellie 'sexier' and add a completely unnecessary love plot", or is it something the devs decided to do themselves?

    Well, co-op was plopped into the games development about halfway through, so it wasn't originally conceived as a 2 player game but "someone" has the idea late in the game to change gears which I think made the game suffer overall

    Are you sure about that? From what I've heard, Visceral was actually pondering multiplayer as far back as the first game. Then they actually had full multiplayer in 2 and moved to co-op for 3.

  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    klemming wrote: »
    I know we love to put everything we don't like on executive meddling, but has there been any actual after-action interview with the devs or anything that confirms it? Like, is there actual proof that EA said "We want you to make Ellie 'sexier' and add a completely unnecessary love plot", or is it something the devs decided to do themselves?

    Well, co-op was plopped into the games development about halfway through, so it wasn't originally conceived as a 2 player game but "someone" has the idea late in the game to change gears which I think made the game suffer overall

    Are you sure about that? From what I've heard, Visceral was actually pondering multiplayer as far back as the first game. Then they actually had full multiplayer in 2 and moved to co-op for 3.

    I was going off the Wikipedia, which has a section where devs disagree about the origins of the co-op.
    Producer John Calhoun has stated that the game was designed from the ground up to support drop-in, drop-out cooperative play.However, according to producer Chuck Beaver co-op mode was introduced in the middle of production. According to executive producer Steve Papoutsis a cooperative mode was considered late in the development of the first game in the series, but the idea dropped due to insufficient time to implement it and incompatibility with the game's story.
    I'm fairly certain EA wanted Dead Space to be a big tentpole release like a Battlefield, and they felt that making the game more action, more players (Dead Space 2 had an awful multi mode) and more microtransactions, they could milk the franchise. But Dead Space 3 "underperformed" in the eyes of EA (hmmm maybe because you made the third game an action co-op shooter and not a horror game) and they canned Dead Space 4 in favor of making them just literally make Battlefield games until the studio was smothered in it's sleep


    Anyways here's this

    Local H Jay on
    Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
    OmnomnomPancake
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    My annoyance with the co op aspect of dead space 3 is that actual content is locked behind it. There's stuff I can't do solo.

    Green
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Carver's the better experience, too.

    sig.gif
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Yeah, EA was angry because a new horror franchise was "only" selling several million copies with each iteration instead of 10 million+ like they wanted, so they butchered the franchise into a shitty third-person shooter in the final installment of the trilogy and then buried the whole thing when that final shot proved to be worthless for ripping people of with MTX. And just for kicks, they murdered an excellent dev team along the way.

    A premiere example of how astonishingly bad publishers can be at understanding the game industry while still raking in stupid amount of money through shitty practices. But hey, at least EA decided to dump shitloads of money into totally unnecessary and third-rate additional media, then tag those expenses on to the franchise as well to even further justify killing all of it.

    Ninja Snarl P on
    FencingsaxArmsForPeace84cB557Aegeri
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    There's a lot wrong with DS3, but I can see why and how it got more actiony; horror just can't keep being effective with the same villains.

    All scary enemies (not just in horror genres, but anything where they're meant to be scary and dangerous) rely on being the unknown at first. The heroes don't know how to deal with them, they're unlike anything they've faced before and the tried and tested methods of fighting them don't work. They're immune to bullets, headshots don't work, they adapt to all your weapons.

    First appearance of these enemies, the heroes almost never win. Their only victory is that some (usually not all) of them escape with their lives.
    Then the villains come back, and the survivors are more prepared for them. They know what won't work on them, and come up with tactics that will. Stop attacking their strengths, learn about their weak points.
    By the third instalment, the horror isn't working anymore because the heroes aren't up against the unknown anymore, so the only response is to turn up the spectacle.

    Issac goes from (presumably) scared shitless in 1 to determined to find a way out of this in 2, and by 3 he's just pissed off that he's still fighting these fucking things.
    But it's a necessary change, because if he was still scared shitless by regular necromorphs after everything he'd gone through, he'd have to be an idiot incapable of changing.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    SorceThegreatcow
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Changing the facing towards action was not the problem. Dead Space 2 also shifted more towards action and it did it extremely well, without dropping a the slightest bit of the quality of the combat and weapon design from the first game; the enemies from the first game were worked in, and new enemies added to reflect the more combat-heavy focus plus new excellent weapons to fight with. Stasis and telekinesis were also updated to make them much more interesting and reliable combat options. The exception is all the dumbass microtransaction "custom" weapons and suits shoehorned in later by EA, several of which have ridiculously OP traits and take a huge swipe at the game balance.

    Dead Space 3 just... gives up. The weapon design is thoroughly atrocious; all those iconic weapons are completely dead and gone, replaced with a trashy, broken DIY system which almost immediately throws the whole "shoot off limbs" idea, which is a cornerstone element of the franchise, right out the window. Along with that comes universal ammo, which is just... ugh. So no more tension at all from managing resources. To try and offset how absurdly easy the shitty gun system makes the game, they increase enemy speed some 2x-3x to try and force you to take damage. The custom weapon shit also brought the upgrade system, replacing the excellent node-based upgrades with a crappy excuse to shove MTX into the game. And the less said about shoving human enemies into the game, the better.

    And that's just on the gameplay side and doesn't even begin to address the atrocious shit they did with the characters and writing.

    Ninja Snarl P on
    shoeboxjeddyFencingsaxEtiowsaArmsForPeace84DragkoniasThegreatcowOmnomnomPancake
  • ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I'll be waiting until after release, then checking out some hands-on impressions. My affection for the original can really only work against it, here. As it is inadmissible as evidence for the defense of a completely new game.

    A remaster, executed competently, would have been "shut up and take my money." That was probably well understood in the boardroom where this choice was made. Hopefully it was equally felt, around the table, that trying to relaunch Dead Space as a Live Services IP will amount to tossing it on the bonfire of other such quickly-abandoned money pits.

    ArmsForPeace84 on
    Nothing personal. It's just business.
    Fencingsax
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular


    This is good news! Loved his voice and love they got him back.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums On your pacemakerRegistered User regular
    Isaac having a voice in the first game is an objective improvement.

    I just don't trust EA not to shit up the experience, notably by adding an unnecessary multiplayer mode or microtransactions. I loved Dead Space as a franchise and I actually own all the comics etc, but Dead Space 3 was a huge let down. I really want a game more in line with Dead Space and Dead Space 2, which were great.

    I'm just not willing to get excited about this.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    BloodySloth
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »


    This is good news! Loved his voice and love they got him back.

    I can't believe he didn't do his most iconic line!

    "RARGH! *stomp* YAUGH! *stomp* HUAUGH! *stomp*"

    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    cB557BloodySlothel_vicioGenji-GlovesDark Raven X
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums On your pacemakerRegistered User regular
    Personally I was more impressed with the fact Isaac had a massive potty mouth in Dead Space 2. My first reaction to his VA in the second game was that Isaac really had a lot of fucks to get out after the first game.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »


    This is good news! Loved his voice and love they got him back.

    I can't believe he didn't do his most iconic line!

    "RARGH! *stomp* YAUGH! *stomp* HUAUGH! *stomp*"

    Stick around I'm full of bad ideas is pretty iconic for me. I swear I thought that was the line before returning to the ishimura. Which you know good choice script person for this video.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Isaac having a voice in the first game is an objective improvement.

    I just don't trust EA not to shit up the experience, notably by adding an unnecessary multiplayer mode or microtransactions. I loved Dead Space as a franchise and I actually own all the comics etc, but Dead Space 3 was a huge let down. I really want a game more in line with Dead Space and Dead Space 2, which were great.

    I'm just not willing to get excited about this.

    Apparently, the said no mtx in the stream today.

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »


    This is good news! Loved his voice and love they got him back.

    I can't believe he didn't do his most iconic line!

    "RARGH! *stomp* YAUGH! *stomp* HUAUGH! *stomp*"

    Stick around I'm full of bad ideas is pretty iconic for me. I swear I thought that was the line before returning to the ishimura. Which you know good choice script person for this video.

    And yes I looked it up its literally what you say before you return to the Ishimura so yes iconic line and hilarious in the context he's returning for the remake to go back to the ishimura.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
    Fencingsax
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums On your pacemakerRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Isaac having a voice in the first game is an objective improvement.

    I just don't trust EA not to shit up the experience, notably by adding an unnecessary multiplayer mode or microtransactions. I loved Dead Space as a franchise and I actually own all the comics etc, but Dead Space 3 was a huge let down. I really want a game more in line with Dead Space and Dead Space 2, which were great.

    I'm just not willing to get excited about this.

    Apparently, the said no mtx in the stream today.

    I'll believe it when I see it.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Fencingsax
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Seeing the comparison shots between the two look great. I just finished DS1 a few weeks ago and I'm looking forward to this remake.

    Fencingsax
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums On your pacemakerRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »


    This is good news! Loved his voice and love they got him back.

    I can't believe he didn't do his most iconic line!

    "RARGH! *stomp* YAUGH! *stomp* HUAUGH! *stomp*"

    Stick around I'm full of bad ideas is pretty iconic for me. I swear I thought that was the line before returning to the ishimura. Which you know good choice script person for this video.

    And yes I looked it up its literally what you say before you return to the Ishimura so yes iconic line and hilarious in the context he's returning for the remake to go back to the ishimura.

    Here is a fun fact. That iconic sequence occurred because of budget issues and a need to fill some gameplay space cheaply. Everything about it is so minimalist because they couldn't afford a lot of art assets and such for that particular part of the game, but the total minimal aspect of it was what made it so brilliant.

    Almost a happy accident caused by budgetary constraints.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    FencingsaxForarHedgethorn
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    In case you didn't see the stream today here's a screenshot

    PreacherCarpy
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    He's looks a little too shiny, his armor looked more matte in the original

    Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
    OmnomnomPancake
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums On your pacemakerRegistered User regular
    He didn't look overly shiny in motion, I think it's just that screenshot. It's still pretty gritty from the look of things.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Fencingsax
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    In the stream it looked very coppery - it's got a metallic reflection, but it's very dull. I liked it.

    The fog on the floor is great touch.

    urahonky
  • OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    I want to replay the first game now keeping in mind that they'll have Isaac voiced for the remake. More than a few moments where his potty mouth would be extremely present and called for.

  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums On your pacemakerRegistered User regular
    That new dismemberment technology looks fabulous though. Also be really great to tell health by how much flesh and bones are still intact on your target, which is a great touch.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Fencingsax
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah the peeling system looks great.

    Fencingsax
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums On your pacemakerRegistered User regular
    I so want to believe now.

    I want to believe.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I’m at least cautiously optimistic.

    Fencingsax
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    As much as I love Dead Space, I don't want to reward EA for unceremoniously killing off Visceral and now trying to cash in on the nostalgia dollar. I would rather see the franchise dead and buried than brought back like this. Saving all my hopes for Callisto Protocol.

    el_vicioEtiowsaSorce
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I am about halfway through Dead Space 3 right now.

    Man, the decision to put human bad guys in the game was just not thought through.

    My assault rifle with underslung gravity buzz saw is P cool though.


    Also LOL (spoilers)
    The stupid love triangle between Ellie, Norton and me is over.

    Because Norton is a fuckwit, sold us out to Danik and I put a bullet through his head.

  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Also LOL (spoilers)
    The stupid love triangle between Ellie, Norton and me is over.

    Because Norton is a fuckwit, sold us out to Danik and I put a bullet through his head.

    Blind prediction:
    You stomped Norton's body to pieces and probably threw some of them off a cliff.
    Because virtually everyone does that.
    I personally took his head along to show to Ellie, and left it on the box she was rummaging in.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I did neither.
    I yelled "why did you fucking make me do that you twat" at the screen.

    Then I looked at his body, muttered "for fucks sake" and walked off.

    Then Ellie gave me shit about it and I yelled "oh piss off" and the screen.

    Karl on
Sign In or Register to comment.