As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] F-Zero PX II - Race Finale: The New Champion of F-Zero PX is...

• Options
    MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    Voting for a sub on Day 1 seems silly. It's not even the end of Day 1. Give them a chance

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I'm going to say F-Zero was kind of a generic-ish racing game until GX at which point it became noteworthy for being a good simulator of what going 1000 km/h feels like. It also gives my wife motion sickness just from a few glances. GX is super brutal as well. Too many racers in too tight of spaces.

If I had the choice of the original SNES F-Zero vs SNES Super Mario Kart it would be mario kart every time, but then that game was amazing.

Disagree with the first bolded part. I did have a much harder time with GX though.

They're both great, but F-Zero definitely goes faster than Super Mario Kart (in terms of the pace at which you have to navigate turns, hazards, and other vehicles, not the make-believe speed numbers), and the presence/absence of consumable items that do things like attack other cars makes a huge gameplay difference obviously. I think the older F-Zero's have aged a lot better than the first couple Mario Karts did.

First Mario Kart is the only one I liked. I learned how to drive on that game. I'll try playing both tomorrow and see which one I get bored of first.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Ah, that would make a difference. I liked Super Mario Kart, but thought MK64 was a lot more fun. Double Dash's two players per kart mechanics were cool, but meant that for most people you could only have two karts in a multiplayer game (it has my absolute favorite version of Rainbow Road though). But the Wii, Wii U, and Switch Mario Karts have been a lot of fun for me, even more so than the early games. My only real complaints against them are the Blue Shell has gotten both more annoying for leading racers since MK64 and less useful to the trailing players who usually get it, and I liked 64's gameplay of being able to drag deployable items behind you as a poor-man's shield. If you bounced off Mario Kart 64 and everything since, then we're gonna have very different impressions.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I was going to spare JPants a day 1 grudge vote since he spared me the day kime and I were the two wagons, but they used the mafia kill on me the final day, and the only other returning player from the (surviving) mafia is Auralynx...

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Gizzy is now my Sebulba.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    AustinP0027 cause I remember having lots of fun with y'all back in the day.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Do votes have to be bolded?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    MamaWolf wrote: »
    Voting for a sub on Day 1 seems silly. It's not even the end of Day 1. Give them a chance

i was voting for them before they dropped out!

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    So SirFab isn't playing in this one, so I cannot fulfill my grudge over his mafia slaying of me last game.

So instead I must vote for

uhh...

Auralynx

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »
    MrBlarney wrote: »

Voting

Once again, the Galactic Space Police are relying on the cooperation and participation of the F-Zero PX circuit pilots to assist their search for possible Crimson Eclipse members, and to prevent them from winning the championship. Vote for the player who you find most suspicious of being a Crimson Eclipse member in bold red with "!vote for <player name>" or similar phrase. You may retract a vote by posting "!retract vote for <player name>" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or change your vote by making another one in bold red. Do not, under any circumstance, edit a post that has a vote. If an edit is necessary, make a new post instead. The player who receives the most votes will be taken into custody by the Galactic Space Police until the conclusion of the championship, and thus will be eliminated from the game. Should there be a tie in the vote, then only the first person to hit the tied value will be eliminated. If a tie at the top is caused by a vote being removed from a player, the player who was previously in first will still be considered to have hit the tied total first. The vote acts first in each day's resolution, before race outcomes and any player actions are resolved.

Voting will normally close each day at 2100 PDT / 2400 EDT / 0400 UTC / 1400 AEST; any actions before the hour (xx59) will count, any actions on the hour and later (xx00) will not.

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • Options
    Lucedes wrote: »
    MamaWolf wrote: »

i was voting for them before they dropped out!

That's fair. I was more referring to others who have said or were thinking about the unspoken Phalla rules and would vote a sub out.

• Options
    I feel so old. Is that an unspoken rule now?

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I thought it was the opposite - stever’s law or something

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    It was spoken of in the ancient age of 2011.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited September 2021
    38thDoe wrote: »
    It was spoken of in the ancient age of 2011.
    e5fxnz80jnjj.jpg

so around 5 years after my first game and probably around when I mostly had stopped.

I think I'm turning to dust. Help me me, Jar Jar!

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I think I'm turning to sand.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Idk I always heard that rule lol

• Options
    I'm concerned that Mr. Zimmerman may well be 'muscle' for the Crimson Eclipse, but this Kid Glass is apparently 'the Unbreakable'? We should seize the opportunity provided by the current momentum against them to eliminate a possible Eclipse member with Deep Pockets (or an ironically high Body value).

JPants

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Infidel wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I think I'm turning to sand.
    Nah, I hate sand.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Votes should be bolded, correct. But I'll count your vote this time for leniency's sake. Don't make it a habit.

Two hours until the vote closes and Race 1 commences! Make sure you have your tuning settings in before then, and make sure you've posted and voted!

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Yeah. I just thought I remembered it being a thing as I hit post, and was going to edit, but I for sure remembered that editing ruins it, so I was just clarifying if I would need to make a second, correct post.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Omg stevers law is just the worst thing I've heard outside the vault that I can remember.

I'm sure there's worse, but it's been a long time between deliveries and y'all I'm tired.

And I've got my eye on some of y'all now.

• Options
    The thing I'm unsure about WRT to soft-networking is how many people to reach out to:
    • There's a part of me that wants to cast as wide a net as I can, with the assumption that some of them will be mafia, and use that to try and weed them out
    • On the other hand, keeping it small lowers your exposure, and reduces the likelyhood that you'll end up getting pulled in different directions

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    H3knuckles for my day 1

• Options
    premium has always been shady

dont trust that nerd

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Nobody soft network with me

I'm terrible

• Options
    *Lonelyahava immediately receives 27 private messages*

• Options
    I see you there, infy.

• Options
    LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    Romantic Undead

J'accuse!

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I'm concerned that Mr. Zimmerman may well be 'muscle' for the Crimson Eclipse, but this Kid Glass is apparently 'the Unbreakable'? We should seize the opportunity provided by the current momentum against them to eliminate a possible Eclipse member with Deep Pockets (or an ironically high Body value).

JPants

I ask you, friends, is this:
    mx7084g8s50f.jpg

the face of a dishonest man, or a humble, hardworking fiery wrecked hovercraft enthusiast whose car may or may not be loaded with an inordinate amount of explosives?

• Options
    I dunno

But that face is definitely lacking the right face covering at this time and place.

That's just plain not safe.

• Options
    @38thDoe @Romantic Undead Just in case, a friendly reminder, only a half hour to vote close.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Technically votes aren't required. Although it'll still lead to a sketchy vote record.

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    and @Alegis !

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Also @Alegis it looks like you haven't voted yet? Day 1 voting closes in half an hour.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Ack! Almost forgot! Locus

Virgil, I got my eye on you, but it’s the SECOND vote for me that gets the horns! And maybe my front fender too!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Actually Jpants

For safety and self-preservation

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    Voting has closed and it's time to race!

Votes and actions submitted before the hour (xx59 and earlier) will count; those made at or after the hour (xx00 or later) will not.

Results and narration will be up in an hour.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    04h2ld54kd90.gif

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Race 2: Big Blue - Emperor Wave

u03opj9lplgy.png
    What an exciting start to the season, wouldn't you say? Already we've had two pilots withdraw from the competition. It seems something suddenly came up for Kid Glass (JPants), pilot of the Crystal Cannon, and they didn't even make it to the starting line. What a shame, to not be able to see that beautiful machine streaking through this year's selection of courses.

The other withdrawal was due to a quite more frightening circumstance. The Bandwagon, piloted by famed inventor MrBlarney (Infidel), suddenly exploded just as the race got underway! He claimed that the Bandwagon was unstoppable, but it never got going in the first place, haha! MrBlarney was pulled from his machine alive, but with injuries that will see him out for the rest of the season. Word from the hospital is that he's acting a bit more like a 'mad scientist' at the moment, but it's back to the drawing board for him!

The rest of the race also gave us some additional exciting sights. Many of the high-qualifiers got into trouble: Howlsong, Lula Luna, and Anakin Skywalker fell down the rankings, while Dr. K and Morty Slick crashed out of the race entirely! But the pilot of the day must certainly be Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau and his Tequila Sunset. Despite starting in 19th place, they managed to stage a heroic drive up the rankings to take first place. Their second and third laps will definitely be worth a rewatch, along with their final cuts through the field at the end of the race -- make sure to sign up for the premium video package to get all of the views of your favorite pilots!

The next race will see the pilots moving to Big Blue, revisiting the Emperor Wave circuit from last year. This is the longest circuit on the calendar, featuring a long half-pipe section. Pilots can gain a lot of speed through the half-pipe, which immediately leads into a slower, technical section. Join us next time for the sight of fantastic machines skimming past the ocean waves in our next race in the preliminary league.

Race 2 Outcomes:
    1st - Machine: The Tequila Sunset / Pilot: Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau (SLyM) - 100 points
    2nd - Machine: Vitesse Oblige / Pilot: Vicomte Jean-Luc Rapide (Locus) - 93 points
    3rd - Machine: Wild Card / Pilot: Lord Synobazz (H3Knuckles) - 87 points
    4th - Machine: Toxic / Pilot: Nuka Cola Girl (lonelyahava) - 82 points
    5th - Machine: Analog Falcon / Pilot: Lazer Gregg (Brody) - 77 points
    6th - Machine: Centurion X / Pilot: Ace McCloud (AustinP0027) - 72 points
    7th - Machine: Metal Tick 9001 / Pilot: Sparky Dave (3cl1ps3) - 67 points
    8th - Machine: Gold Rush / Pilot: Royce McBucken (Green) - 63 points
    9th - Machine: The Brick / Pilot: Rocket Racer (discrider) - 59 points
    10th - Machine: Like They Used To / Pilot: Skullo-X (Romantic Undead) - 56 points
    11th - Machine: Double Indemnity / Pilot: Lancaster Honshu (Endless_Serpents) - 52 points
    12th - Machine: The Undying Machine / Pilot: Dr. Charles Acula (Lucedes) - 49 points
    13th - Machine: The Mean Machine / Pilot: Dick Dastardly (Cythraul) - 46 points
    14th - Machine: Deadman Switch / Pilot: Bomb Zimmerman (Auralynx) - 43 points
    15th - Machine: The Green Ghost / Pilot: Frederick Clemenceau (JusticeForPluto) - 40 points
    16th - Machine: The Red October / Pilot: Marko Ramius (38thDoe) - 38 points
    17th - Machine: Shadow Pouncer / Pilot: Lula Luna (MamaWolf) - 35 points
    18th - Machine: Song of Whitewind / Pilot: Howlsong (Gizzy) - 33 points
    19th - Machine: Blue Streak / Pilot: Toto (kime) - 31 points
    20th - Machine: Steel Spear / Pilot: Richard 'Hotrod' Hotroddington IV (premium) - 29 points
    21st - Machine: Now This is Podracing / Pilot: Anakin Skywalker (TehSpectre) - 27 points
    22nd - Machine: White Breeze / Pilot: Gust Greenver (JaysonFour) - 25 points

Did Not Finish:
    Machine: Crystal Cannon / Pilot: Kid Glass, the Unbreakable (JPants) - 0 points
    Machine: The Bandwagon / Pilot: MrBlarney (Infidel) - 0 points
    Machine: Big K / Pilot: Dr. K (Virgil_Leads_You) - 0 points
    Machine: Wight Wail / Pilot: Morty Slick (Alegis) - 0 points

Eliminated Players:
    Machine: Crystal Cannon / Pilot: Kid Glass, the Unbreakable (JPants)
    Machine: The Bandwagon / Pilot: MrBlarney (Infidel)

Race Conditions: Big Blue - Emperor Wave features a giant half-pipe section that is great for building up speed - but also great at causing spectacular crashes! Attacks made in either High Speed sector will have a x1.2 chance of causing a crash (instead of x1.1)!
    3 Laps x {Balanced, High Speed, High Speed, Technical, Balanced}

Race 2 will close Wednesday, September 1, 2100 PDT / 2400 EDT / Thursday, September 2, 0400 UTC / 1400 AEST.
    Qualifying results will be posted at Wednesday, September 1, 0900 PDT / 1200 EDT / 1600 UTC / Thursday, September 2, 0200 AEST.

If you want to send me some flavor for your pilots and machines for me to build narrations around, feel free to include them in PMs alongside your standard orders. I don't always know all of the references for your characters, so that can sometimes help me build more interesting narrations. Also, keep an eye out for PMs in your inboxes with race log info, which will be going out over the next hour!

Race 2 Scoring:
    Place - Points
    1 - 100
    2 - 93
    3 - 86
    4 - 81
    5 - 75
    6 - 70
    7 - 65
    8 - 61
    9 - 57
    10 - 53