As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Trek] Baby Targ, Doot Doo etc. (Lower Decks S2 + Prodigy S1 + Disco S4 in spoilers)

Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready.We Hunt.Registered User regular
edited February 2022 in Debate and/or Discourse
708w5udkpnda.jpg

In a recent Star Trek Adventures session, we were describing the cabin/living quarters of our pilot, who is a Klingon named Thok Thinloct. Someone put forth this description: "A wall poster that looks like the Hang In There kitty, but it's a baby Targ holding on to a branch, and below it is the caption in Klingon 'Today is a good day to try!"

Anyway, this is the Star Trek thread. Discuss. And keep Lower Decks Season 2 stuff in spoilers (really, any new Trek stuff, like Strange New Worlds or Prodigy or whatever).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
Jacobkosh on

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    30-50 Feral Targs

fgnwtl4ozkxc.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    yesss this is the good content

rRwz9.gif
  • MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    My first memory is watching a rerun of "Skin of Evil" with my parents when I was 2. Voyager was my first "appointment television," one shared with my mom. Every time I visit, my dad will throw on Wrath of Khan. The Starfleet insignia will be my first tattoo.

Star Trek's okay, I guess.

EDIT: Also, they dropped the main title sequence for Prodigy. The ship looks dope.

Mancingtom on
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    EDIT: Also, they dropped the main title sequence for Prodigy. The ship looks dope.

Amazing. The final "classic trek notes" in the end really hit home.

sig.gif
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Ok, that afterburner was pretty neat.

Before I saw it actually moving, I could have sworn that was one of STO's old Assault Cruiser variants from back at launch instead of the next lockbox ship probably.

Hevach wrote: »
    Ok, that afterburner was pretty neat.

Before I saw it actually moving, I could have sworn that was one of STO's old Assault Cruiser variants from back at launch instead of the next lockbox ship probably.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that inspired the design.

It’s no accident that the Inquiry-class so perfectly fit with the Arbiter/Avenger line.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    For the Internationally Curious

Gonna need some Lower Decks ++ level hype to check this one out as it's not really looking like it's made for me but that's fine! I do like the ship though

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Lots of giant imagry in that opening, and they don't all seem to be from the same creature? Are those just supposed to be interpretations of the cast?

It's on Nickelodeon and not in prime time so I'm guessing it skews younger.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Continuuming (pun!) my trip through Voyager...

Death Wish - A Q is freed from an asteroid and seeks asylum so he can commit suicide. Again with the "what are the fucking chances" ridiculousness that I had with "The 37's", but moving past that, this is how you do a Q episode, not that cheap version in Persistence of Vision. Riker on Voyager. Q on Voyager. I like this episode a lot, mainly because it's what I watch Trek for. Here's an ethical problem with no easy answer, now figure it out. I definitely liked the idea of JdL being the conformist here, then being shaken by Quinn admitting OG Q was the impetus for this decision. "I imagine the Continuum won't be very happy with you, Q." "I certainly hope not.".

Lifesigns - The Doctor puts a dying Vidiian's conciousness into a hologram, and falls in love. It's more than a bit trite, and it definitely made my issues with holographic sentience flare up. But Picardo is enough for me to not dislike the episode.

Investigations - Paris abandons ship, but it's a mole hunt. Neelix attempts journalism. While it explains Paris being a prick to Chakotay for several preceeding episodes, it was wrapped up way too quick. I get not wanting to have one of your title characters off screen for multiple episodes, but it would have made things stronger. Seska's immediately suspicious, and almost immediately proven right. Just felt the chance of any real stakes were blown in an attempt to get back to normal.

Deadlock - Two parallel reality Voyagers are joined at the anti-matter. One ship is completely trashed, and willing to sacrifice itself to save the other, but in a twist, it's the undamaged one that does so. I really did like that twist, and Janeway hamming it up for the Vidiians on the bridge was awesome. Also, Harry died again. And a baby is born. I'm really not sure how I felt about the resolution of that. "Hey, Ensign Wildman, I know you're grieving over the very recent loss of your baby. Here, have a do-over!". I know Wildman continues to have a role, but I'm not confident that issue gets a good resolution.

Innocence - Tuvok crashes on a planet with some kids sent there to die. Turns out it's Benjamin Button time. Bleh. I like Tim Russ, and neither the kids or the adults were bad, but there's nothing helping a stupid story idea and crappy writing. The only thing from this episode I want to see, is the outtake. From IMDB...
    "In an outtake seen in Ultimate Trek: Star Trek's Greatest Moments (1999), Tim Russ can be seen approaching the cave for the final time with Tressa, then turning around, saying "Man, I ain't going in there!" and bolting for the forest.". That I'd watch.

The Thaw - Voyager finds the remains of a lost race with the last three trapped in a virtual reality nightmare. Clowns are already creepy, and McKean didn't change that. I didn't like that it was a technobabble ending. Nothing much to add, there wasn't enough bad to hate, it was just bleh, nothing memorable or interesting.

Tuvix - Tuvok and Neelix get merged in a transporter accident. Don't remember this from my initial attempts through, and that makes me sad. The actor (Tom Wright) did an awesome job channelling both Russ and Phillips, and like with Death Wish, it's the exact type of ethical conundrum I like, and I thought it was played out well. It was a good take on the "split a person into two personalities one extrovert, one introvert" but in reverse. I do like that while they did "revert to normal" at the end of the episode, that they put the weight on the captain. Like with Deadlock, I'm hoping this gets expanded on, but again, not hopeful.

Off to watch a couple more episodes before bed. Have the next couple days off work, and we're still in lockdown, so looking to burn through quite a bit.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Lots of giant imagry in that opening, and they don't all seem to be from the same creature? Are those just supposed to be interpretations of the cast?

Yeah, for a second I thought "wait is this gonna be Star Trek doing inner space?"

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    That prodigy opener looks gorgeous and I can't wait to watch the first episode, even if it is directed at an audience much younger than me.

I was also confused by the giants, though I agree they do appear to be gigantic versions of the cast. Initially I thought the opening was implying the cast and ship are on a different scale from humanity. Which I wouldn't mind TBH, you'd expect there to be some species that are smaller than humans, and animation is the perfect way to explore that.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Thread good. Thread title is a war crime

Damn you

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited August 2021
    The mechanical one gives it away, the robotic crew member is the only one I can remember in detail from the earlier artwork, that metal sphere with the glowing core was definitely that guy.

Hevach on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I don't care, I want to see Star Trek fight Galactus now.

• HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

So you aren't watching LD then?

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

So you aren't watching LD then?

Not yet, my sub lapsed and I'm a cheap bastard.
    Figure I'll wait till the season is done so I can binge the whole thing in a weekend.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    t0d492v52vr4.png
    uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh
    god damn you canada
    For the Internationally Curious

Gonna need some Lower Decks ++ level hype to check this one out as it's not really looking like it's made for me but that's fine! I do like the ship though

thank you!

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    It's on Nickelodeon and not in prime time so I'm guessing it skews younger.

ya, it's for kids by design

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    The best interpretation I saw of the opening is it's a metaphor for the kids going more on a personal journey framed by their space adventures and I like that. It's nice.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    They released a little more information about Prodigy, including the names of the villains and a few story tidbits.

Apparently the show starts in the Delta Quadrant and the kids are trying to make it to the Alpha—and, presumably, the Federation. I'm immediately wondering a) how a Starfleet ship ended up abandoned but intact out there and b) exactly when the show takes place. The Protostar looks quite different from TNG/PIC-era Starfleet—maybe Prodigy will be our first 25th Century show?

edited September 2021
    It's supposed to be 2380's, so after Lower Decks but before or concurrent to the Romulan supernova (not that exact alignment with Alpha/Beta Quadrant events will likely matter unless/until they reach the Federation).

Edit: Then again, looks like that timeframe came from a 2019 announcement of the writer's room roster, at which point it was only known as "a second animated series." Thadiun Okona is supposed to still be alive, though, so that puts a bit of an expiration date on things.

Hevach on
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular
    They released a little more information about Prodigy, including the names of the villains and a few story tidbits.

Apparently the show starts in the Delta Quadrant and the kids are trying to make it to the Alpha—and, presumably, the Federation. I'm immediately wondering a) how a Starfleet ship ended up abandoned but intact out there and b) exactly when the show takes place. The Protostar looks quite different from TNG/PIC-era Starfleet—maybe Prodigy will be our first 25th Century show?
    Yeah, most of the kids are Federation races.

Random thought... perhaps it's not a Starfleet ship but a Starfleet-like ship? Janeway and Voyager left a mark on the Delta Quadrant, giving them a glimpse of more advanced Starfleet ship designs as well as actually giving holodeck technology to the Hirogen. So perhaps some Delta-Quadrant race decided to replicate Starfleet ship designs, complete with holo-emitters they got from the Hirogen somehow. It would explain why the ship has Voyager-style moving nacelles (which were obsolete even by the end of Voyager) and Janeway as a hologram (the most famous and only Starfleet captain they know).

sig.gif
  • AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular
    But how do we explain the Federation kids?

Theory: the kids are descendants of the Protostar’s original crew.

Who said they are Federation kids? They don't look like any Federation species we've seen before.

They could be Delta Quadrant kids who grew up hearing stories about the mythical bountiful Federation, stemming (again) from Voyager's influence in the Quadrant, and took the opportunity to set out for it.

sig.gif
    edited September 2021
    Jason Mantzoukas's character is confirmed to be Tellarite, and the robot is supposed to actually be a kind of suit worn by a Medusan (presumably an improvement on the carrier pods they used in TOS to get around the whole "looking at them kills most corporeal species" problem), so that's one Federation race and a Federation neighbor. Another is a species we've never seen before (Vau N' Akat), and the rest are unnamed alien species, they could all be from France for as much as we know about them.

Hevach on
    OK, everyone who watches Lower Decks needs to scroll back up, and open @Kipling217 's spoilered post, and take a look. Well worth the effort.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Is Season 2 out now ?

If so, is it the whole season, or is it weekly episodes ?

Weekly episodes, the fourth drops tomorrow.

So far I'm really enjoying it. The premiere was a little weak, but it's been firing on all cylinders since.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a trailer for Strange New Worlds next week.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Yes!

It's weekly

There's been 3 episodes so far

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    oh my god paramount+ exits fullscreen after every episode

what war criminal designed this

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    oh my god paramount+ exits fullscreen after every episode

what war criminal designed this

It probably isn’t my fault, but I’ve argued against that design choice at a few big VOD clients before, and CBS was one of them. So…sorry.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    We had to get a Chromecast to be able to watch Paramount+ on our TV, and so far I feel like it's a better experience than the SmartTV app.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Last night, on the voyages of Voyager...

Resolutions - Janeway and Chakotay are both infected and must Robinson Crusoe on a planet. The Doctor's Vidiian, after her race continues to be the scorpion to Voyager's indestructible frog, gives them the cure. Seriously, the short term memory of both parties there is ridiculous. I did like the J/C dynamic, but there was never any real stakes, as I knew they'd be back on the ship by the end of the episode, relationship restored to normal.

Basics, Pt 1 - Seska and the Kazon take Voyager, and it makes me very wary of Star Trek security. Because it was taken without much difficulty. Only upside is Brad is back. His conversation about helping with the airponics, with the emotion and his need for calm, I really liked.

Basics, Pt 2 - Cullah abandons the crew on a planet, and the crew are in survival mode, but whatever, also the CGI snake thing was crap. And Neelix being responsible for Hogan's death ("pick up the bones outside this cave that's likely containing a predator, now I'm going to leave you alone to do it"), and not seeming to care that he's at fault. The interaction with the natives was... there, I guess, conflict to understanding to alliance. But it was all kinda ehh. And Tuvok saying "You may find nobility in a savage, Commander, but he is only interested in killing you." to Chakotay of all people, felt tone-deaf as fuck from the writer's room.

Anyway, action's on and around the ship. End of Seska was anticlimactic, but I've had issues with her character since she was revealed to be a Cardassian. I like the Talaxians getting roped in by Paris not having any idea, and the Doctor trying to look up "How to do an insurgency for Dummies" might have had a different context prior to the start of this year. But Dourif being McClane made me happy. His conflict over not wanting to kill even though he knew it was necessary, screw this show, I want (retroactively) a Picardo and Dourif spin-off, with regular guest star Tim Russ. That Sudor got a fitting send-off from Tuvok ("May your death bring you the peace you never found in life.") was really nice. I like when actors that normally only get to play shitty people meeting shitty endings, get a role that's not.

Next up is Flashback. Oh my. Oh my!

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    We had to get a Chromecast to be able to watch Paramount+ on our TV, and so far I feel like it's a better experience than the SmartTV app.

Yea, I really like this Chromecast after trying the alternatives. My gf has a Roku and it's just annoying in comparison.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    gybw8balpdbp.png

Old content, but evergreen.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
This discussion has been closed.