As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] F-Zero PX II - Race Finale: The New Champion of F-Zero PX is...

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Looks like we cross-posted, Gizzy. Let me see... it's not like we really have a lot more to go on at the moment. I'm willing to trust Spectre on this one- but at the same time, if Green comes up village, well... what was that saying we used to have? That if Spectre made it to Day 4, odds were usually good they were mafia? Then again, though, that particular strategy had a tendency to explode in our faces quite a bit, too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is let's let tonight sort out before we jump to any conclusions. Green's on the block, and nobody else is really jumping out at me for the moment. If they come up mafia, we listen to Spectre. If they don't, we throw Spectre up on the block tomorrow and hope they just didn't get bad info.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    green
    Yes, if you are a good villager it is your honor to die for the rodina!
    Best to be sure

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I have no info. No one has given me a thing, aside from attacking me in the first race.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Your instincts are usually pretty good, Spec.

and i'm pretty clueless.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    ...I admit, it's just like old times, seeing so many of us here. And in a Mr. B game, no less.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Remember who piled on these votes when I die innocent! :rotate:

For what it's worth, TehSpectre and Endless_Serpents are giving off strong mafia vibes to me with how the bandwagons have developed thus far.

• Options
    Don't know if I can read Green's post, it's so long compared to every other 4 he's made all game. :P

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Yeah.
    Please post more next phalla Green.
    We need more to go on than just what Mamawolf says.

• Options
    I'm at 3% battery on my phone and won't be home until after close.

I'm excited to be wrong and then bandwagoned!

<3

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    also

im da best

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »

<3

TehSpectre to get ahead of the curve. No but I'm not feeling the Green vote and it's not like there's competition. And you are acting just too innocent

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i'm so bad at all this

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    i'm so bad at all this

Hey this is how I feel!

Last game mafia got me completely fooled

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    i'm so bad at all this

Hey this is how I feel!

Last game mafia got me completely fooled

Saaaaame

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • Options
    I don't always defend Green btw, but last game was a long time since we both did a Phalla, so I didn't want him day 1'd.

This game I just felt bad that he died day 1 last time and wanted him to get a chance to play more this time. Ah well I suppose:

That's the way the vote floats

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Voting has closed and it's time for Race 3!

Votes and actions submitted before the hour (xx59 and earlier) will count; those made at or after the hour (xx00 or later) will not.

Results and narration will be up in an hour.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »

<3

TehSpectre to get ahead of the curve. No but I'm not feeling the Green vote and it's not like there's competition. And you are acting just too innocent
    1% left!

Now it's too late to change things and I can reveal my True Role!
    kime smells

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I'm still working (at lease working from home) and never got a chance to make my vin diagram of suspicion. Maybe tomorrow ....

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    (people playing phalla) people not playing phalla

Done.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Race 4: Devil's Forest - Tailwind Corridor

u03opj9lplgy.png
    We're halfway through the season, and we've had quite the dramatic race on the Angled Twist circuit. But first, a report on some off-track drama. Royce McBucken (Green), the brash and bombastic pilot of the equally gaudy Gold Rush announced a sudden withdrawal from the rest of the season. Rumor has it that his family caught onto the young man's whereabouts and called him back in for some talking to. The soundscape of the race weekend will not be the same without the eardrum-breaking noises of the Gold Rush.

On to the race itself, where the technical nature of the circuit bared its fangs onto the PX-circuit racers. Aggression raged between many machines during the race, causing a couple of retirements. Dr. Charles Acula and his Undying Machine will need to find some time to rise from an unexpected race after getting unceremoniously deposited into a wall shortly into the second lap. Later in the race, Frederick Clemenceau and the Green Ghost gave up the ghost on the way back after navigating the technical sector on the fourth lap.

The track also got its own bites in. A freak engine failure on the Analog Falcon sent the shining machine clean off the track at the direct midpoint of the race. The final lap also claimed a victim to the course's unforgiving angles, with a crash out from the Deadman Switch. Ironically, despite the Deadman Switch's rather explosive end, Bomb Zimmerman himself was able to rocket away from the wreckage of his machine and will be back for the next race. The same cannot be said for Lazer Gregg (Brody), who suffered severe injuries due to the unexpected nature of his crash. Lazer Gregg will be out for the rest of the season, and have to party and celebrate from off of the track for the rest of the season.

Outside of Dr. K's fall down the order and Frederick Clemenceau's crash, the top of the qualifying order were able to stay out of trouble and remain in the top spots. The Vitesse Oblige managed to maintain its 3rd-place qualifying rank, while The Red October only slid down one spot from pole position. Taking the top step of the podium this time was Nuka Cola Girl. She was able to steadily make her way up the top places over the course of the race, taking the opportunities when they presented themselves. With her race victory, we now have a new leader for the overall league points total! But there's still plenty of pilots in striking distance, the other podium finishers among them.

In the next race, pilots will need to find their top speeds winding through the Tailwind Corridor circuit at Devil's Forest. The tunnel that makes up almost half of the circuit has potential for extremely high speeds, but is just as likely to disorient unlucky pilots that make a mistake. Those pilots who still have designs on the overall championship will need to gather all of their focus in order to get some key points. From here on out, the picture of who's still in the hunt for the title will quickly become clearer, and every pilot wants to be as sharp and in the center as they can.

Race 3 Outcomes:
    1st - Machine: Toxic / Pilot: Nuka Cola Girl (lonelyahava) - 100 points
    2nd - Machine: The Red October / Pilot: Marko Ramius (38thDoe) - 92 points
    3rd - Machine: Vitesse Oblige / Pilot: Vicomte Jean-Luc Rapide (Locus) - 85 points
    4th - Machine: Metal Tick 9001 / Pilot: Sparky Dave (3cl1ps3) - 79 points
    5th - Machine: Song of Whitewind / Pilot: Howlsong (Gizzy) - 73 points
    6th - Machine: Steel Spear / Pilot: Richard 'Hotrod' Hotroddington IV (premium) - 68 points
    7th - Machine: Shadow Pouncer / Pilot: Lula Luna (MamaWolf) - 63 points
    8th - Machine: White Breeze / Pilot: Gust Greenver (JaysonFour) - 58 points
    9th - Machine: Blue Streak / Pilot: Toto (kime) - 54 points
    10th - Machine: Now This is Podracing / Pilot: Anakin Skywalker (TehSpectre) - 50 points
    11th - Machine: Wight Wail / Pilot: Morty Slick (Alegis) - 46 points
    12th - Machine: The Mean Machine / Pilot: Dick Dastardly (Cythraul) - 43 points
    13th - Machine: Double Indemnity / Pilot: Lancaster Honshu (Endless_Serpents) - 39 points
    14th - Machine: The Tequila Sunset / Pilot: Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau (SLyM) - 36 points
    15th - Machine: The Brick / Pilot: Rocket Racer (discrider) - 34 points
    16th - Machine: Like They Used To / Pilot: Skullo-X (Romantic Undead) - 31 points
    17th - Machine: Big K / Pilot: Dr. K (Virgil_Leads_You) - 29 points

Did Not Finish:
    Machine: Gold Rush / Pilot: Royce McBucken (Green)
    Machine: The Undying Machine / Pilot: Dr. Charles Acula (Lucedes)
    Machine: Analog Falcon / Pilot: Lazer Gregg (Brody)
    Machine: The Green Ghost / Pilot: Frederick Clemenceau (JusticeForPluto)
    Machine: Deadman Switch / Pilot: Bomb Zimmerman (Auralynx)

Eliminated Players:
    Machine: Gold Rush / Pilot: Royce McBucken (Green)
    Machine: Analog Falcon / Pilot: Lazer Gregg (Brody)

Race Conditions: Devil's Forest - Tailwind Corridor features a covered tunnel that can be driven on all sides to start and end the track. This potentially disorienting feature makes any mistakes in the high-speed sections extra-punishing, especially when they're caused by other racers! Attacks made in either High Speed sector will confer an additional +1 place loss on the target.
    4 Laps x {High Speed, Balanced, Balanced, High Speed}

Race 4 will close Friday, September 3, 0400 UTC, 2100 PDT / 2400 EDT / Saturday, September 4, 0400 UTC / 1400 AEST.
    Qualifying results will be posted at Friday, September 3, 0400 UTC, 0900 PDT / 1200 EDT / 1600 UTC / Saturday, September 4, 0200 AEST.

Race logs will be going out over the next half hour!

Standings after Race 3:
    1st - Machine: Toxic / Pilot: Nuka Cola Girl (lonelyahava) - 217 points
    2nd - Machine: The Tequila Sunset / Pilot: Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau (SLyM) - 206 points
    3rd - Machine: The Red October / Pilot: Marko Ramius (38thDoe) - 195 points
    4th - Machine: Song of Whitewind / Pilot: Howlsong (Gizzy) - 181 points
    5th - Machine: Vitesse Oblige / Pilot: Vicomte Jean-Luc Rapide (Locus) - 178 points
    6th - Machine: Double Indemnity / Pilot: Lancaster Honshu (Endless_Serpents) - 177 points
    7th - Machine: The Brick / Pilot: Rocket Racer (discrider) - 174 points
    8th - Machine: Metal Tick 9001 / Pilot: Sparky Dave (3cl1ps3) - 172 points
    9th - Machine: The Green Ghost / Pilot: Frederick Clemenceau (JusticeForPluto) - 140 points
    10th - Machine: Wight Wail / Pilot: Morty Slick (Alegis Invictus) - 139 points
    11th - Machine: The Mean Machine / Pilot: Dick Dastardly (Cythraul) - 138 points
    12th - Machine: Like They Used To / Pilot: Skullo-X (Romantic Undead) - 130 points
    13th - Machine: Shadow Pouncer / Pilot: Lula Luna (MamaWolf) - 130 points
    14th - Machine: Steel Spear / Pilot: Richard 'Hotrod' Hotroddington IV (premium) - 125 points
    15th - Machine: Now This is Podracing / Pilot: Anakin Skywalker (TehSpectre) - 117 points
    16th - Machine: White Breeze / Pilot: Gust Greenver (JaysonFour) - 113 points
    17th - Machine: The Undying Machine / Pilot: Dr. Charles Acula (Lucedes) - 106 points
    18th - Machine: Blue Streak / Pilot: Toto (kime) - 85 points
    19th - Machine: Big K / Pilot: Dr. K (Virgil_Leads_You) - 82 points
    20th - Machine: Deadman Switch / Pilot: Bomb Zimmerman (Auralynx) - 80 points

Race 4 Scoring:
    Place - Points
    1 - 100
    2 - 91
    3 - 84
    4 - 77
    5 - 71
    6 - 65
    7 - 60
    8 - 55
    9 - 50
    10 - 46
    11 - 42
    12 - 39
    13 - 36
    14 - 33
    15 - 30
    16 - 28
    17 - 25
    18 - 23
    19 - 21
    20 - 20

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    dang

i apologize
    fer nothin, ohoho

I will accept red votes as punishment, however, I will note that I'm just dumb and not evil, yet...gimme a few movies.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I swear I have high Grip and no Boost.
    These rolls are killing me.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Got double smacked by 1 pilot. Blaming the Crimson Romantic Undead

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    !lonelyahava for believing in me

side eye at endless_serpents for pming me, yesterday

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Someone attacked me 5 times.

Wasting yo time, I'm unsure I can even win with my current point total and racing success rate

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    All status PMs should be out now, let me know if you didn't get one!

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    I'll always believe in you Spec.

Besides, it wasn't Day 4 yet.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I was attacked by, I assume, TehSpectre.

But that’s no indication of being Crimson, just antisocial.

As promised to my idol, and due to… some evidence… I’m voting Romantic Undead

Uh, but now I look at TehSpectre’s choice, which is just who happens to be first, I think I’ll have to have a chat with my hero, because that’s very shady.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    afikv51zb0sy.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    SPARKY DAVE IS PLEASED BY THIS RESULT

SPARKY DAVE EXPECTS TO DO QUITE POORLY ON THE NEXT TRACK

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Are weekends counted as individual days or will it be on 72 hour day?

My sister is getting married on Saturday so I'm not gonna be around a ton.

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    Likewise. Well not my sister, but got a wedding every weekend this month.
    This Phalla is structured as a traditional game, with an uninformed majority composed of most of the F-Zero PX racers pitted against an informed minority, members of the criminal organization Crimson Eclipse. This game also features race simulation mechanics, where players participate in races in the F-Zero Grand Prix in the hopes of becoming champion. At the end of six races, the player with the highest point total will be crowned the champion of the F-Zero preliminary league and win fortune, fame, and the right to participate in the highest F-Zero circuit. Unlike other games, the game does not end with the elimination of all minority members or the outnumbering of minority members to majority members, but instead carries through all six races. If the minority manages to set one of their member atop the podium at the end of the grand prix, then they will be declared the winner; otherwise the uninformed majority wins, with the circuit winner achieving an unofficial distinction on top.
    So podium place - one of top 3 after 6 races is sufficient for village to lose?

Seems there's a gap forming at the top already. Probably better than a pack of players close together where mafia can more closely coordinate rivals on the final days.
    If mafia actions are somehow visible for the public, I assume it's in the day to day race changes (focused efforts)

• Options
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Are weekends counted as individual days or will it be on 72 hour day?
    Race 5 will be an extended race weekend, covering 72 hours. (Qualifiers will still be run halfway through the day, so at the 36-hour mark instead of the 12-hour mark.)
    Alegis wrote: »
    If the minority manages to set one of their member atop the podium at the end of the grand prix, then they will be declared the winner; otherwise the uninformed majority wins, with the circuit winner achieving an unofficial distinction on top.
    So podium place - one of top 3 after 6 races is sufficient for village to lose?
    No, the only place that matters for determining victory is the topmost spot, 1st place. It should probably say "at the top of the podium" to be clearer.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    oof ouch my bones.

...just kidding, i'm a space dracula! i vill live forever.*
    *please don't stake me, kthx

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    also, placeholder vote on ahava for being in first.

• Options
    Maybe this is a fool's errand, but here's the deltas between the races

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12d3bJiTlvXD-kYPwFz3SYotxYBuneZ-4iiF-2u3nwiM/edit?usp=sharing

• Options
    No clue yet what the best way is to interpret that delta, there probably is no good heuristic for mafia behavior in there at all. People at the top will be there because they won places after all.

Going to go with people who win places because people in front lost considerable places - being selected as rival by multiple persons?
    38thdoe for biggest consistent increases at the cost of Lucedes, although same might be said for Lonelyahava at cost of JfP.

• Options
    Full disclosure

I've taken no actions any night and only set myself to Balance.

Not my fault all y'all trying to kill each other instead of just driving and turning left

• Options
    Thinking about mafia endgame, they can plop someone off in the final race - likely whoever is in the lead if it's not one of them.
    They'll try to get as many of their players on top as they can, and then focus rival/attacks on whoever is not them, and hope they make it.

What's probably more in our favor:
    * Jojo behavior, players jumping up and down the rankings, like Locus. Hard to predict
    * Close race with few gaps
    making it more difficult to select the right targets. Randomness makes it more likely we win as we have more players

So that said I don't think lonelyahava is a bad vote (not a great either) unless we can get players in front, vet & protect them. If we can't, let chaos and randomness rule. Vote being our way of closing down the lead.

I assume this is what Blarney also predicted what would happen, village focusing on #1, and voting being less reliable overall.

• Options
    I'm glad I was I was in the top ten this time. Have to see how today plays out.