As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pardon my French [Canadian Politics Thread]

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I live in 1 of the 2 ridings in Calgary that have actually elected a not-conservative in the recent past so there's hope. I actually quite like my Liberal candidate. he was a fairly progressive on the city council and seems to be a pretty decent dude..... And Jag Sahota is my current MP who I abhor.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I am absolutely praying that the bad actions of the UCP provincially negatively affect support for CPC in Alberta. The Lethbridge MLA Jason Neudorf just came out saying exactly what everyone expected, but our Premier and Health Minister have been avoiding saying for all of August. Alberta's strategy is "hope and pray".

https://cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/nathan-neudorf-ucp-covid-1.6157132

The MP for his riding is Rachel Harder (notorious shit-heel) and was voted in with 67% of the vote in 2019. I have no doubt she'll get voted in, but if the margins could be thinner, it might make them think twice about how they operate in "safe" districts.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    The UCP is going to be strangely silent until after Sept 20.

Daimar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Kenney's already been MIA for three weeks.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    They may be anti-maskers, but they're very willing to slip on a muzzle the minute they're told to.

• Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Neat development ... Looking like my local CPC candidate is a sexual predator, because of course he is.

Think they'll replace him with another candidate? (I honestly don't know how the process works)

Another party would.

The CPC will probably use this as a "radical feminist trying to destroy honest god-fearing conservative sexual assaulter" angle to boost his campaign.

If he were important to the party? Maybe. But for a nobody candidate, it is easier for everybody to just replace him. The Cons aren't going to waste time on him.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So Radio-Canada (French CBC) had a special program a few days ago where they invited each party leader in turn and asked them a bunch of questions. I couldn't care less, but my parents watched Trudeau and O'Toole. They were bored to death by both. In their words, "Trudeau recited memorized canned answers, twisting the questions as needed to fit the scripted answers. O'Toole did the same but more poorly because of his bad French."

And so, the most bland and boring election in Canadian history drags on.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

So you've noticed that too, eh? I've never seen this thread (and many other places of political trumpeting or discussion) so quiet during election time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

So you've noticed that too, eh? I've never seen this thread (and many other places of political trumpeting or discussion) so quiet during election time.

regardless of what party you are voting for..... This is it? This is what we have to choose from?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Polling sucks up here and nothing of interest has come up so there's nothing to say for the most part.

• Options
    ShadowBladeShadowBlade Registered User regular
    So they're FINALLY going to implement a vax passport in ON, but are they?
    NO way to verify vax status, as businesses, until LATE OCT... The PDFs they expect us to use on/until Sept 22 are COMPLETELY FORGIBLE.
    Will this app also be super easy to circumvent? Will any of this remain if CPC wins on the 20th?
    How does this help us NOW?

This world is trying so damned hard to give me an aneurism right now! My kids are both under 12 and there will VERY LIKELY be willingly unvaccinated adults in their school. WE CANNOT keep them home this year. My business caters exclusively to children who cannot be vaccinated. To even attempt to reopen safely, I NEED to KNOW that my guest care about those who cannot take the shot.

How's all the rest of you Canuckleheads today? I'm trying to keep my spinning head from taking flight.

This world needs a new philosophy. No more, "Could be worse..." I say SHOULD BE BETTER!
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    So they're FINALLY going to implement a vax passport in ON, but are they?
    NO way to verify vax status, as businesses, until LATE OCT... The PDFs they expect us to use on/until Sept 22 are COMPLETELY FORGIBLE.
    Will this app also be super easy to circumvent? Will any of this remain if CPC wins on the 20th?
    How does this help us NOW?

This world is trying so damned hard to give me an aneurism right now! My kids are both under 12 and there will VERY LIKELY be willingly unvaccinated adults in their school. WE CANNOT keep them home this year. My business caters exclusively to children who cannot be vaccinated. To even attempt to reopen safely, I NEED to KNOW that my guest care about those who cannot take the shot.

How's all the rest of you Canuckleheads today? I'm trying to keep my spinning head from taking flight.

Oh I am very fuckin angry about this, yes

Everyone already has the papers and yet we can't implement the requirement to have the papers until 2 days after the election?? Was September 21 just a little too obvious? Why the fuck are we not doing this on Friday instead? (I know, I know, election, but there's no public health excuse)

Just, unbelievable

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    AutomautocratesAutomautocrates Registered User regular
    Say goodbye to the CEO of NSHA and the entire board of directors!

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/mobile/n-s-premier-new-health-system-leadership-team-to-tour-province-to-hear-from-frontline-workers-1.5569316

I can only assume this means that small, nigh imperceptible, improvements will result for our frontline workers. :D

As I've worked in healthcare for 15 years, I can feel my hopes rising to... hahaha, I cant even pretend.

The dictum that truth always triumphs over persecution is one of the pleasant falsehoods which men repeat after one another till they pass into commonplaces, but which all experience refutes.
    -John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    The one thing I can take solace in is that Doug Ford looked like absolute crap during that news conference. Completely stressed out.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    The one thing I can take solace in is that Doug Ford looked like absolute crap during that news conference. Completely stressed out.

Colin D'Mello opening with a "hope you feel safe with no journalists in the room" was ice cold

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Brian Lilley with absolutely nothing of use on his twitter feed, lots of ripping on Trudeau though. What a piece of shit working for a trash new source.

• Options
    AutomautocratesAutomautocrates Registered User regular
    Oh wonderful. There's an anti-vaxx/anti-mask/anti-braincell rally outside of the Halifax Infirmary. I wish I could sit out there and get a third shot while entirely wrapped in masks.

The dictum that truth always triumphs over persecution is one of the pleasant falsehoods which men repeat after one another till they pass into commonplaces, but which all experience refutes.
    -John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Hahaha, Covid passports in Ontario won't be used for places of worship. This province is so fucked and those in charge are so very stupid.

• Options
    In Alberta, they said we can just screenshot our vaccine status off the app or website.... you know, on the screen that has zero identifying information at all.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    In Alberta, they said we can just screenshot our vaccine status off the app or website.... you know, on the screen that has zero identifying information at all.

I’ve been trying to gain access to said website for a year now; but it requires a code they snail mail you; which never actually shows up. And the pharmacy where I got
    mine never gave me anything so wooo

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Sigh, why is Parler trending in Canada.

*click*

Oh, because Erin O'Toole apparently has an account. This is my surprised face.

Edit: Although this has apparently been known since January, so I'm guessing a stored-for-the-election media push.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Sigh, why is Parler trending in Canada.

*click*

Oh, because Erin O'Toole apparently has an account. This is my surprised face.

Edit: Although this has apparently been known since January, so I'm guessing a stored-for-the-election media push.

Whatever happened to Parler? Did they all just eat each other in the end, or what?

• Options
    Watching the TVA debate. It's a one-vs-one leaders debate. I'm watching Trudeau vs. O'Toole on healthcare.

If you just tuned in without any context, you'd bet your house O'Toole is a cool collected PM and Trudeau is an aggressive contender.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Blanchet trashing O'Toole on daycare. Thank god for the Bloc.

sig.gif
  • Options
    O'Toole: "Le panier d'épicerie coûte trop cher. On a un plan pour -"
    Blanchet: "Encore un plan! Il suffit pas de dire qu'on a un plan. C'est quoi le plan?"
    O'Toole: "Je vais vous envoyer mon plan."
    Blanchet: "On a deux heures. Expliquez-nous le plan."

sig.gif
  • Options
    Pierre Bruneau is a great moderator. He actually keeps them on topic, repeats questions they try to dodge, and cuts them off when they start bickering and talking over each other.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Blanchet is a boss, no doubt. But I'd like him, and the Bloc, a whole lot more if they weren't damn, dirty separatists at heart.

Sigh.

• Options
    Trudeau is playing the fear game. "Conservatives will privatize healthcare! Conservatives will turn back on climate change! Conservatives will bring back assault riffles!"

Here's a thought. If you don't want Canadians to elect Conservatives, how about you don't hold an unnecessary election two years ahead of schedule?

Trudeau should be focusing on what he did and what he plans to do. Trying to scare people away from the Cons is not a winning strategy for him.

sig.gif
  • Options
    O'Toole looks so fucking dishonest. He's actually smirking while listing bullet points of what Québec wants in his closing statement.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Richy wrote: »
    O'Toole: "Le panier d'épicerie coûte trop cher. On a un plan pour -"
    Blanchet: "Encore un plan! Il suffit pas de dire qu'on a un plan. C'est quoi le plan?"
    O'Toole: "Je vais vous envoyer mon plan."
    Blanchet: "On a deux heures. Expliquez-nous le plan."

While the biggest self improvement thing in my life during the pandemic was getting fit, the second biggest has probably been spending way more time in Duolingo trying to learn French. I know that that’s not particularly hard French there, but that the only thing that I didn’t recognize offhand was “panier d’épicerie” and I could guess at that (well, I was 60% sure based on “panier” and Google translate confirmed it) makes me pretty happy.

Je vais devenir bilingue!

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I feel fairly confidant I could order something from a French menu and have a good idea what I'm going to get, but that's just from sheer osmosis of having the French on every single food item I've ever seen since I was born.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    The biggest surprise of the night for me was Trudeau outirght admitting than we're going back to an election within 18 months if there is a minority.

I found O'Toole to be very lacking in substance. Very dissapointing. On childcare in particular, he looked like a fool..

Trudeau was very passionate and surpringsly honest.

But... the clear winner to me was YFB. He's one level above everyone else.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    That's not a surprising result. I remember the last federal debates, and frankly he just dominates them. I suspect it's a combination of "actually just more charismatic and clever" and "only has to appease Quebec and doesn't have to worry about his messaging nearly as much as the others."

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    I feel fairly confidant I could order something from a French menu and have a good idea what I'm going to get, but that's just from sheer osmosis of having the French on every single food item I've ever seen since I was born.

I'm reading Mike Myers' Canada* and he relates that he didn't realise until well into his twenties that "Old Fort" was not a type of cheese.

*Half memoir, half Canadiana, surprisingly enjoyable read. I think it's because, while I grew up twenty five years after him, I was raised on repeats of everything he was: The Friendly Giant, Mr. Dressup, SCTV, etc. And then stuff he was involved in: SNL, Wayne's World, Austin Powers. (Of course, his comedy for the last decade-or-more has just seemed like he was trying too hard.)

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Determined to distance themselves from the "Progressive" portion of the PC namesake, the talk of the week has been how our newly elected NS premier appointed a white guy to the minister of African Nova Scotia Affairs. The defense has been "we ran black candidates, but none of them were elected," but it's not really resonating with people. It also combines poorly with firing several high profile civil servants who are black, and replacing them with ... more white people.
    Also in case you missed the whole appointment process, a landlord was put in charge of Municipal Affairs & Housing, and "wasn't sure" if that represented a conflict of interest.

Ho hum ...

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Ugh... this election... I can't support O'Toole, but at least I'll take solace in the fact that, at least for now, he's not trying to do the Maxime Bernier/Doug Ford strategy of "Trump-lite" populist, so thank god for small graces I guess.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    ShadowBladeShadowBlade Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Ugh... this election... I can't support O'Toole, but at least I'll take solace in the fact that, at least for now, he's not trying to do the Maxime Bernier/Doug Ford strategy of "Trump-lite" populist, so thank god for small graces I guess.

He's not?
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ExA97LAWQAAkqnU.jpg
    ugqify3zbcul.jpg

Pretty sure that's some populist BS right there. In the main slogan. Not to mention telling us all directly they'd not have/will not continue to support those hardest hit by the pandemic. Not to mention the abortion issue they're chomping at the bit to end all rights to. Not to mention them stating explicitly the will end firearm bans and wish to enhance the police state.

Text is super impossible to imply tone with accurately and I am indeed salty as the ON CONS put my children's lives in danger, but, can you explain your stance a bit better here? In spite of my tone?

ShadowBlade on
    This world needs a new philosophy. No more, "Could be worse..." I say SHOULD BE BETTER!
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I'm reading Mike Myers' Canada* and he relates that he didn't realize until well into his twenties that "Old Fort" was not a type of cheese.

I just made the distinction now.... i'm almost 43

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021

He's not?
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ExA97LAWQAAkqnU.jpg
    ugqify3zbcul.jpg

Pretty sure that's some populist BS right there. In the main slogan. Not to mention telling us all directly they'd not have/will not continue to support those hardest hit by the pandemic. Not to mention the abortion issue they're chomping at the bit to end all rights to. Not to mention them stating explicitly the will end firearm bans and wish to enhance the police state.

Text is super impossible to imply tone with accurately and I am indeed salty as the ON CONS put my children's lives in danger, but, can you explain your stance a bit better here? In spite of my tone?

No, that's just a slogan. Populism is appealing to ordinary people and specifically being against the elite largely because they are the elite, or a group because they are given the appearance of being advantaged either by the elites, or because of who they are. It's also not necessarily bad, I'm sure occupy wall street was quite popular in here and that was explicitly a populist message of the 99% (everyone) vs the 1% (wall street / billionaires / "the rich"). Elections are themselves populist in a way, so you're going to get a minimal amount of pandering to everyone and the "hard working Canadians" from everyone

Trump's "drain the swamp" was populist, everyone vs the DC elites. His anti-immigration stance was populist, as it pitted Americans vs the much smaller set of immigrants and against the elites who were allowing immigration and giving them financial assistance and so on

The Liberal slogan is "Forward. For Everyone"
    NDP is "Fighting for You"

"Secure Canada's Future" is... well it might be vaguely nationalist I guess. If you click through "SECURE ACCOUNTABILITY by enacting a new Anti-Corruption law to clean up the mess in Ottawa." might be the closest thing to populism as it does set up an everybody vs corrupt politicians conflict, but it's really just a continuation of the usual "cons investigate the libs for minor scandals" that's been a thing forever

You don't have to agree with their policies but I don't think populist is really the best critique here. Regressive or reactionary probably

Also populist political movements tend to be based around a singular figure who inspires fervor. You see this with Trump, and some revolutionary movements who follow the person as much as the ideology and... come on... O'Toole?

Phyphor on
This discussion has been closed.