As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The most wonderful time for a [BEER]

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Since this is the first time I have ever had a local beer guy who will buy me things, I will challenge him to find me a good pumpkin beer. Love the idea, have never found a good execution.

Avery Brewery out of Colorado makes "Rumpkin".

It's in a foil top like all Avery beers.

It's fucking amazing. It's my go to "You don't like craft beer" brewery.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Minnesota Brewer Indeed makes Yamma Jamma which is a sweet potato beer and that shit rules

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Tell me sours to buy please and thank you frens. Stone's Mission Warehouse Sour has been my favorite so far.

Dogfish Head's SeaQuench Ale. An amazing brew.

I've had that! It's rather good!

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I do not like most pumpkin beers.

Give them all to meeeee

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Tell me sours to buy please and thank you frens. Stone's Mission Warehouse Sour has been my favorite so far.

My knowledge base is rather import centric, but if you have a place near you with a decent Euro selection my short list would be:

-Any of the traditional Belgian Lambics by Lindeman, I'm most partial to Frambois/raspberry though they do a mean Kriek/cherry as well)
    -Duchess du Bourgogne (the standard bearer of Flemish red malts)
    -Liefman Goudenband (flemish brown, maltier flavor and not barrel aged like the Duchess)
    -Giardin 1882 White label (a gueuze, which is a blend of lambics a kin to blended whiskeys)
    -Berliner Kindl Weisse (German cross between a sour and a hefeweizen, lemon notes with a touch of salt)

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Anderson Valley has a bunch of great sours. They can get a little too experimental with some flavors, but they know what they're doing. Blood Orange Gose and The Kimmie, The Yink, and The Holy Gose are both very good.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Magell wrote: »
    Blood Orange Gose

I suddenly find myself tumescent and needing to do some detective work before my next beer run.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Well I finally re-racked my beer and decided to give it a taste and it is disgusting. Just a flat, awful, watery shleem. Gonna drain it and I guess try again maybe. Kinda bummed I didn't get something at least resembling beer. Not really sure how I fucked it up this badly.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Well I finally re-racked my beer and decided to give it a taste and it is disgusting. Just a flat, awful, watery shleem. Gonna drain it and I guess try again maybe. Kinda bummed I didn't get something at least resembling beer. Not really sure how I fucked it up this badly.

I figure you know this because of the meadery work, but just in case... Beer needs time to bottle age and carbonate. Which means either kegging it and using c02 to carbonate or bottle carbonating with a bit of yeast and sugar. Beer coming right out of carboy is going to be very green still.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Yeah but it also just straight up had an awful flavor and aftertaste. I'm thinking I may not have been careful enough and got some cross contamination or something in there.

Next go round I'm gonna try and run it through a cold box to get the temperature exactly where I want it. I also think me and my meadery friend are gonna do a brew day on one of the days they're closed.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Shoot, I missed the new thread.

Anyway, I'm finding this rather tempting.
    https://www.southofshawbeer.com/mile-5-lifer-club

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    First fresh hop beer of the season has been consumed! It's go time!

Ex Novo has been pretty consistent about getting Eliot out the door first in town and 2021 is the same deal. If available, get some immediately. Gooooooooooooood to the last drop.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
    The Marzens approacheth.

Today I'm drinking a Lonerider Brewing Co Viggo Oktoberfest. It's pretty good. Not quite as malty as I'd like but decent enough.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    My beer guy sold me twelve bottles of Founders CBS at a 66% discount because they'd been cluttering up his shelf for too long.

$7.50 for a 4-pack is a much more reasonable price for what is a basically decent boozy stout.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Lindeman’s Framboise Lambic continues to be a great way to drink raspberries, and wild yeast fermentation continues to be proof that we are loved by a higher power.

Elvenshae on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Picked up some Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout after far too long since last having some Samuel Smith.

I really wish I could have gotten their Organic Lager or Nut Brown Ale, but it's nice to have even one of their variety again.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Picked up some Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout after far too long since last having some Samuel Smith.

I really wish I could have gotten their Organic Lager or Nut Brown Ale, but it's nice to have even one of their variety again.

Sam Smiths are really good.

Picked up a pack of PumpKing. I did not shout out "I am the Pumpkin King!" in the store, but it was a struggle.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    My beer guy sold me twelve bottles of Founders CBS at a 66% discount because they'd been cluttering up his shelf for too long.

$7.50 for a 4-pack is a much more reasonable price for what is a basically decent boozy stout.

Damn that is one helluva haul. They actually retired CBS. Enjoy!

Make sure you throw one somewhere dark and cold and open it after a year see what it does.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Damn that is one helluva haul. They actually retired CBS. Enjoy!

Make sure you throw one somewhere dark and cold and open it after a year see what it does.

I mean at this point they're probably at least an year aged anyway.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    lfl3fvfc0ib2.jpeg

Sour and cherry. Spectacular.

Good lookin' beer. Also, I'm all about your Kitchenaid, that is a fantastic color scheme.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Good lookin' beer. Also, I'm all about your Kitchenaid, that is a fantastic color scheme.

That’s…like twenty years old almost? I bought it for my wife when we got our first house. Still works like new. Because Kitchenaid stand mixers are literally tanks.

edited August 2021

jmcdonald on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    ldev0sbm7b2f.jpeg

These are like, REALLY GOOD

Tonight I am drinking a Scotch de Silly Chard which is an absolutely boss tier scotch ale aged in chardonnay barrels. Extremely deep amber, smooth, creamy and sweet. Its another Belgian style from Brasserie de Silly in well, Silly, Belgium.

• useruser Registered User regular
    That sounds delicious, I am really fond of just about any (non-Bourbon) barrel aged beer. But the unctuous vinous character of heavy gravity beers aged in red or wine barrels, is always something quite unique and exceptional.

A good bit of my favorite all-time beers have been big stouts that rested in some red-wine barrels for a while.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I've been getting in the mood for those nutty brown fall beers and I just hope the weather cooperates and gives us some actual fall weather the next time I go to stock up again

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Well I sprung for the 64oz growler of the blueberry basil mead

@Raijin Quickfoot Good tip on that Dominga. Finally made it out to Total Wine (which was the only local place I had been able to confirm carried it) today, and am enjoying my first can now.

Oddly enough it put me in the next door to my dad while he was about to have his birthday lunch alone (family dinner is tomorrow) and I ended up getting to grab a pint and hanging out with him. "Beer thread, bringing families together"

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    @Raijin Quickfoot Good tip on that Dominga. Finally made it out to Total Wine (which was the only local place I had been able to confirm carried it) today, and am enjoying my first can now.

Oddly enough it put me in the next door to my dad while he was about to have his birthday lunch alone (family dinner is tomorrow) and I ended up getting to grab a pint and hanging out with him. "Beer thread, bringing families together"

Alcohol, the solution to and the cause of all family problems.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Evenin'

rv3mq4lj8ey7.png

Fresh Hop WanderJack is so very, very good.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX

We respect your wallet's sacrifice and look forward to glamor shots and a completely potted screed of how it is.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

We respect your wallet's sacrifice and look forward to glamor shots and a completely potted screed of how it is.

It did in fact hit the wallet pretty hard at almost 50 bucks

But you'll have to settle for a somewhat hungover description of it because last night I was too busy remembering a friend that passed away and then shitting my guts out because my friends insisted on extra cheese pizza.

It's really good, you actually get a surprisingly strong amount of the basil right on the nose, and while it's sweet it's not overpoweringly fruity, the basil brings out a good amount of the tartness of the berries and the honey is just a background sweetness and kind of mouth coating but smooth feeling body, while also not being any less refreshing because again the basil lends a nice crispness to it.

Overall it's one of my favorite beverages. Any of you lunkheads ever make it to Toledo you gotta make sure to try it. 4 fires meadery, slappin da basil.

Labor Day weekend is craft beer festival so all the breweries are doing special stuff. The brewery with all the hazy IPAs wouldn't let me in with puppy so I'm at my go to that released a barrel aged porter that ruled

I’m drunk off of a variety of beers today

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Man oh man, I forgot how much I like Märzen!

I’ve been drinking water bottles of booze because they don’t let outside drinks into this water park.

I picked up the sweater weather Sam Adams sampler even though its still high 80s in Florida. Love a nice pumpkin beer.

I’m more drunk now than I when I said I eas drunk earlier

Ah, trying to preempt the hangover with the hair of the dog that's currently savaging you. Bold but unorthodox strategy, I wish you luck with it.

I've tried a couple of pumpkin ales so far this season in the hopes of coaxing fall out of hiding. Kentucky Pumpkin Barrel Ale is quite good, but the frontrunner is Schlafly Pumpkin Ale for just trying to bottle a slice of pumpkin pie and mostly succeeding.

Mostly I'm just killing time until Prairie re-releases Basic Becky, which is one of my favorite beers ever.

GDdCWMm.jpg