As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Where we don't click links we don't know even if our friends appear to send them!

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    With such a big price jump so late, I smell scam.

Normally I would agree, but in the collector's world that is normal for collectors using bots to snipe at the end. At least it was 10 years ago when I was buying animation artwork.

I feel like you could build the game with a RaspberryPi and some input devices. Unless you're going for the full-on retro experience.

Also if it's SW, it's going to have an instant premium, especially if it works. That still had the box, so I'm not surprised what happened

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    I'm linking this behind the scenes because more Ellen MClain is, as GLaDOS would say, always such a pleasure:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDB_MXm3cEA

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    So a guide for anyone wanting to play custom maps in the quake rerelease. I figured out a lot of this by just poking in the files but figured others may want to know.

In the quake folder (in the usual steam library) there is a folder named rerelease. This has the files for the remaster. Inside that folder is a folded called id1, which has the base quake stuff for the remaster. When you download a map, make a directory called maps inside that directory and drop the bsp inside (so quake/rerelease/id1/maps). Now you can run the map from the console, but it won’t show up anywhere.

Look in the id1 folder for a file called pak0.pak. Make a backup of this file. Open it up in a pak editor and look for a file called mapdb.json. You can use any pak editor like pakexplorer or pakscape. Extract this file to the id1 directory. Now delete it from pak0.pak. This is why I said to back up the pak file, this is a necessary step otherwise the mapdb.json in the pack will take precedence over the loose file in the id1 directory.

The mapdb file is self explanatory, I usually just copy one of the quake dm entries and replace the title and bsp of the default map with the title and bsp filename of the downloaded map. No directory or extension is needed for the filename, it will look in the maps directory for a bsp with that name (for example “aerowalk” not “id1/aerowalk.bsp”). For enabling bots on single player maps you will just want to add a line in the existing entry for that map that says “bots”:true, keeping the same formatting as the other lines.

This will get the map added to your start server menu (under episode:quake) and enable bots. However, bots won’t do anything.

To give them ai, go to https://github.com/jpiolho/Quake-Nav-Depot#readme. Obviously not all custom maps have nav files yet, so look for yours, if its not there it probably hasn’t been made yet. Click view code, click on the map you need a ai route for, right click on view raw and save the file. This will be a navjson file, you still need to compile it into a nav file, so go here
    https://github.com/jpiolho/nav2json and download the release. Make sure you have .net core 5.0. Drag the navjson file onto nav2json.exe and it should spit out a .nav file with the same name. Take this file, and go back to the rerelease/id1 directory. Make a folder called bots, make a folder called navigation, and drop the .nav file into that directory. You should now have a custom map with working bot ai. You can also throw nav files for single player levels here and enable bots:true in mapdb.json for that level to do bot deathmatch on supported single player maps.

Thanks to jpiolho for making the utility and setting ip the datablase for nav files.

Edit: As far as I know editing the pak0.pak file in this way hasn’t affected anything in my doing regular multiplayer but as always make a backup just in case.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    I guess me saying hi and just going about my day is reason to get thrown into crossfire. Thanks @Orivon I think @Isorn is the real monster, no?

79u8ficywaas.png

Ha at first glance I thought there was a new Humble Bundle!

I am quite humbled by @Orivon's awesomeness. You were mostly correct.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    I guess me saying hi and just going about my day is reason to get thrown into crossfire. Thanks @Orivon I think @Isorn is the real monster, no?

79u8ficywaas.png

Ha at first glance I thought there was a new Humble Bundle!

Damn, looking at the photo and the words "Humble Bundle" out of the corner of my eye made me think that's what this was, too.

Esp since these are 4 seemingly quality games that I would want and love to pay less money for, with portions going to charity (whatever Humble set the limit to these days, since you can't give 100% to charity anymore)

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    We're also days away from the next Choice reveal and I got all excited about that lineup.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Chicory and Unbeatable alone would be a BANGER bundle

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how this snuck past me but in case any other fans of the first one missed it, there's a King's Bounty II now! Neat!

(reviews are iffy, but I've given up on reviews ever being useful to me... I love games that get panned, and dislike games with 90+ metacritics)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how this snuck past me but in case any other fans of the first one missed it, there's a King's Bounty II now! Neat!

(reviews are iffy, but I've given up on reviews ever being useful to me... I love games that get panned, and dislike games with 90+ metacritics)

Yeah, I learned from a young age that you need to play things you think look interesting, instead of what the magazines and critics tell you to play. I mean, everybody panned Earthbound when it originally came out, and now it's one of the games people are screaming for to show up on the Super Nintendo Online service.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Professional reviews are major pay to play these days, AAA studios get the reviews they pay for and rarely a point better. Indie reviews are a little more useful, but then there's the difficulty getting noticed so stuff doesn't reliably get reviewed... Unless they spam out tons of free codes and then you're back to getting the reviews you paid for, even when devs are honest enough play the implicit threat to withhold codes from bad reviews that it taints the process.

User reviews are useful, IF you plumb the depths and actually read ones that go into detail, because the scores are shit to start with and usually watered down shit as an irrelevant battle is waged between the 0/10 posters and 10/10 posters.

Hevach on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    King's Bounty was a game originally sold to me entirely by one write-up.. So sometimes they're useful.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Only reviews I really care about nowadays are when I ask a friend what they think of a game

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    One more thing I noticed poking around the quake rerelease files was that there are bot navigation files included in the game for base32b, death32c, and hipdm1 but those maps aren’t bot enabled in mapdb.json. I added the bots:true parameter to those maps in my modified mapdb.json and they seem to work just fine. I am not a huge fan of base32b but the other two are very nice maps.

• Options
    55be0n88uieb.png

Pink haired succubus? Well okay then.

Thanks @JaysonFour <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular

I read this earlier, and I think it's true
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/does-anyone-actually-know-whats-100643660.html

Fun fact I did not know before:
    Rating inflation has gotten so ridiculous in video game journalism that Metacritic uses an entirely different scoring system. While a grade of 60 is a favorable green Metascore for movies, a video game on the same website would need to get a 75 or above to likewise be considered a positive review.

it's all dumb.
    Speaking of dumb things, I tried that Watch Dogs Legion free weekend, and bounced off it super, super quickly. The only thing I liked were the podcast bits you can find, and most of them are from actual podcast people, so, uh...

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    So i was wondering if anyone can help with some game suggestions.
    I recently started watching Danmachi (An anime pretty much about dungeon crawling) and it made me really want to play some Dungeon crawling games, so i started looking for some, used the 'dungeon crawler' tag on steam but most of those don't seem to be *actual* dungeon crawlers...

Basically story isn't really important at all, pretty much just looking for a dungeon crawl/diving experience, with leveling up, skill tree, magic ect. also loot! lots and lots of loot... also nice if it has armour/weapons that you can actually *see* on your character, always nice to see your character changing.

Less into 'hardcore' roguelikes, with perma-death but loss of exp/equipment is fine... also don't mind combat style, turn based, action, whatever...

I Guess as an example... well, i haven't really played many like this but the closest i can really think of is Diablo 1... you pretty much have one town to resupply and you just go down into the depths.

So any games that anyone knows of would be mucho aprectiated!

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Grim Dawn or Path of Exile?

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Heroth wrote: »
    I recently started watching Danmachi (An anime pretty much about dungeon crawling) and it made me really want to play some Dungeon crawling games, so i started looking for some, used the 'dungeon crawler' tag on steam but most of those don't seem to be *actual* dungeon crawlers...

Basically story isn't really important at all, pretty much just looking for a dungeon crawl/diving experience, with leveling up, skill tree, magic ect. also loot! lots and lots of loot... also nice if it has armour/weapons that you can actually *see* on your character, always nice to see your character changing.

Less into 'hardcore' roguelikes, with perma-death but loss of exp/equipment is fine... also don't mind combat style, turn based, action, whatever...

I Guess as an example... well, i haven't really played many like this but the closest i can really think of is Diablo 1... you pretty much have one town to resupply and you just go down into the depths.

Din's Curse may scratch the itch. Dungeons, dungeons, more dungeons! Dynamic and fun. Here's what our own @Drake had to say:
    biy07lrkfw05.png

edit: Here's a post where he said more good things.

edit edit; and now I'm reinstalling Din's Curse. /shakefist/

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @Heroth Moonlighter may scratch your itch. You get to sell your loot too!

Diablo 3 is there, and honestly the core game is quite good.

Finally, I think Neverwinter Nights is open-world enough that you can get a DnD experience with running bunches of dungeons. Not sure on loot

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Heroth Moonlighter may scratch your itch. You get to sell your loot too!

Diablo 3 is there, and honestly the core game is quite good.

Finally, I think Neverwinter Nights is open-world enough that you can get a DnD experience with running bunches of dungeons. Not sure on loot

Diablo 3 may not be an attractive option, what with the Blizzard shitfest still festering. When nearly every executive of a company is being outed as a long-standing sexual abuser, kinda puts a damper on the desire to play their work or give them money.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

To be honest, what I've always understood for "dungeon crawler" is absolutely not Diablo, and much more, like, Legend of Grimrock and Etrian Odyssey and so on. You know, exploring a dungeon and stuff. Basically, the "lots of loot" thing kind of shortcircuited me because I don't think I've ever known a dungeon crawler with a loot focus.

If what you want is more diablolikes, though, Grim Dawn is pretty good, though not very dungeony.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    There had better be loot in a dungeon, otherwise what the hell am I doing there?

• Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Drascin wrote: »

To be honest, what I've always understood for "dungeon crawler" is absolutely not Diablo, and much more, like, Legend of Grimrock and Etrian Odyssey and so on. You know, exploring a dungeon and stuff. Basically, the "lots of loot" thing kind of shortcircuited me because I don't think I've ever known a dungeon crawler with a loot focus.

If what you want is more diablolikes, though, Grim Dawn is pretty good, though not very dungeony.

You're absolutely right, i wasn't very clear at all! i'm terrible with the words. I more meant Diablo 1 as in the... 'style'? i guess, one small town with a little bit of outskirts and then the dungeon. simple but elegant. no huge, open, sprawling world, just the dungeon. Not so much the rest of Diablo. Same for the 'loot' i guess i more meant a wider selection *of* loot, less so bunches of loot dropping, diablo 2/3 style... just more than 'one sword, one staff a shield and a bow' kind of game.

Also already own Diablo 3, absolutely terrible the shit thats been (and still is) going on at Blizzard, makes me personally sad on a gaming level but can't even begin to imagine how terrible it was and still is for the people going through it.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! although grim dawn is (i think from what i've seen) a little more open/diablo 2/3 style than I'm currently after, def going to look into it more though.

'Din's Curse' looks very interesting and very much what i'm looking at! Moonlighter also looks super interesting! sort of like 'recettear' which reminds me that i brought it but never really got into it, i'll have to give it another look as well.

'Legend of Grimrock 2' Also looks great.

Awesome suggestions so far, plenty for me to dive into, thanks everyone!

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    There had better be loot in a dungeon, otherwise what the hell am I doing there?

16k7illg5gaw.png

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    That certainly explains the "Hi Ho!" song they're always singing.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

The real treasure was the mobs you turned to red mist along the way.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

You're absolutely right, i wasn't very clear at all! i'm terrible with the words. I more meant Diablo 1 as in the... 'style'? i guess, one small town with a little bit of outskirts and then the dungeon. simple but elegant. no huge, open, sprawling world, just the dungeon. Not so much the rest of Diablo. Same for the 'loot' i guess i more meant a wider selection *of* loot, less so bunches of loot dropping, diablo 2/3 style... just more than 'one sword, one staff a shield and a bow' kind of game.

Have you looked into various roguelikes, especially of the Japanese variety? The whole "a town and a dungeon/tower/cave" thing was practically invented by the Mystery Dungeon series, and it has a LOT of imitators in that space.

I seem to remember the latest Mystery dungeon remake, one of the Shiren the Wanderer ones, is in fact on Steam. Checking, it is: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1178790/Shiren_the_Wanderer_The_Tower_of_Fortune_and_the_Dice_of_Fate/ . I haven't played it, but if it's anything like, you know, the entire rest of its series, it would be an option

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

i-B2C3Rr8-L.jpg

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    ybI1Wso.png

I have been fingered by chat.

Thanks @Pixelated Pixie

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So, a game came out a week or so ago called Tormented Souls.

I played the free demo a bit.

To say this is an homage to old school Resident Evil and similar games is an understatement. But it does it well. It is *super* atmospheric... creepy... similar puzzles and "you need to find item A to open door B" kind of stuff. Heck, you even need to find tapes to record your progress on the recording machine.

Premise is: you're playing a young lady named Caroline Walker, who receives a strange photo in the mail of two twin girls with an even stranger message on the back. She investigates the old hospital from which came the photo... and suddenly she wakes up in a bathtub, with a breathing tube and one eye removed. Go forth and explore this creepy-ass place now...

Here's some pics I took. Look! Look how Resident Evil-ish it is!

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1701786492091241517/56C0EF8A09B8E27ADFB897688D5A148A1973337C/?
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1701786492091241678/81F2598ED025419B34D39D621290854AAB6BA345/?
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1701786492091241816/0D03A9AD215E7CF1E35E31FE6B3B7FD53671AF3C/?
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1701786492091241940/AEEA0432E24156178F5E245E85307DDEF55E73BC/?
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1701786492091242199/427A1048E71FE108FB7B2B2289CDDDE3649F6ADF/?

Beautiful!

Anyway, based on my time in the demo (go try it!), I recommend it. It's $20, which seems fair enough. I'm going to buy it next payday I think. I absolutely adored RE1 so this is a great find. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Gonna have to put that on my wishlist, thanks for the heads up Pixie!

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    So, a game came out a week or so ago called Tormented Souls.

I played the free demo a bit.

To say this is an homage to old school Resident Evil and similar games is an understatement. But it does it well. It is *super* atmospheric... creepy... similar puzzles and "you need to find item A to open door B" kind of stuff. Heck, you even need to find tapes to record your progress on the recording machine.

Premise is: you're playing a young lady named Caroline Walker, who receives a strange photo in the mail of two twin girls with an even stranger message on the back. She investigates the old hospital from which came the photo... and suddenly she wakes up in a bathtub, with a breathing tube and one eye removed. Go forth and explore this creepy-ass place now...

Here's some pics I took. Look! Look how Resident Evil-ish it is!

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1701786492091241517/56C0EF8A09B8E27ADFB897688D5A148A1973337C/?
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1701786492091241678/81F2598ED025419B34D39D621290854AAB6BA345/?
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1701786492091241816/0D03A9AD215E7CF1E35E31FE6B3B7FD53671AF3C/?
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1701786492091241940/AEEA0432E24156178F5E245E85307DDEF55E73BC/?
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1701786492091242199/427A1048E71FE108FB7B2B2289CDDDE3649F6ADF/?

Beautiful!

Anyway, based on my time in the demo (go try it!), I recommend it. It's $20, which seems fair enough. I'm going to buy it next payday I think. I absolutely adored RE1 so this is a great find. :D

Looks way too creepy for me to play, but I look forward to watching PatStaresAt and The Sphere Hunter do LPs of it.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I saw a streamer playing it earlier this week and the voice acting is... uh, next level.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I saw a streamer playing it earlier this week and the voice acting is... uh, next level.

It's uh... yeah, it's not great.

The rest is, though.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited September 2021

Star Crawlers

Battle Chasers: Nightwar

And of course the grandfather of dungeon crawlers, The original Bard's Tale trilogy.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    That new Pathfinder game really has the shittiest stupidest ad ever keep popping up on my social media feeds. Just a bunch of naked women and female demons dancing on tables. That's the best they could come up with? Kind of makes me figure the game must really suck...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Civilization VI is 85% off this weekend, just $8.99.

I'm almost tempted. But... will I ever play it? Have I played any of the recent Civs?
    [No]
    :(

EDIT: OH SONUVA *headdesk*
    This is why I almost didn't post.

Sorry, Pixie, but I really think I need to do the responsible thing and decline. Thanks, though.

For the record, the gift line was: "Buy it now, play it in 2027."
    I wouldn't, though. I know that. :bigfrown:

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Target Acquired

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    That new Pathfinder game really has the shittiest stupidest ad ever keep popping up on my social media feeds. Just a bunch of naked women and female demons dancing on tables. That's the best they could come up with? Kind of makes me figure the game must really suck...

Pathfinder is shit in general, but I have been tempted to try Kingmaker. I got the same ad and just decided to move on.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    sounds like your average mobile game ad. which is not a good look, yeah.

M A G I K A Z A M
This discussion has been closed.