As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    So thread what are the thoughts on Pullman loaf pans?

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So thread what are the thoughts on Pullman loaf pans?

I've seen some very nice sandwich bread made in Pullman loaf pans. If that's what you're going for then they work very well for the task.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Yes. I would be seeking it for sandwich breads for the size consistency.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I have one. Makes pleasingly square bread with a bit thicker crust than my regular loaf pan.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I have one. Makes pleasingly square bread with a bit thicker crust than my regular loaf pan.

Any recommendations on a pan? I got a chunk of credit on Amazon.

• Options
    I went with USA Pan, because I really like their bakeware in general. Very smooth and heavy enough to bake evenly, and my regular loaf pans still wipe clean after years of regular use.

It's a little weird that the big pan is currently cheaper than the small pan, but really take out a tape measure and consider your bread needs. A 14-inch loaf is a comically long bread cube.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I just went out and picked a few cups of blackberries for blackberry cobbler tonight. While I hate the plants themselves I do love blackberry season in general.

I do love our state fruit. Not the brambles, just the fruit.

When I was a boy, we lived at the end of a country lane that was lined on one side with (never-sprayed) bushes. My brothers and I would go out and fill a big metal mixing bowl, and that was on a "one for me, one for the bowl" basis.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Hey @ Xaquin i just bought a little under a pound of maitake mushrooms from the farmers market, and I’ve never cooked them before - any recommendations?

My first instinct is pizza but I’m open to other ideas

5gjo5kodcb9k.jpeg

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    that looks amazing!

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Oops forgot to untag in the quote, sorry!

It was, and I did not go light on the shrooms - this was split between 2 pizzas:
    n4w2hp0yyosq.jpeg

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    Mushroom pizza is amazing. There's a place near me that does a 5 mushroom pie with a mushroom sauce.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I love the mushroom special pizza from Mellow Mushroom!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    mushrooms are so good

I have a very uh, witch-y friend who lives further out in the boonies, and sometimes she'll text us like "I've been foraging and I'm gonna make some food out of things I found in the woods, hmu"

she has yet to poison/kill us

• Options
    I was out collecting rocks and came across a nice chicken of the woods

ikbbvlqvfb2q.jpg

I might go back and harvest it tomorrow

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Does it taste like chicken?

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    mushrooms are so good

I have a very uh, witch-y friend who lives further out in the boonies, and sometimes she'll text us like "I've been foraging and I'm gonna make some food out of things I found in the woods, hmu"

I've always wanted to forage for mushrooms but also i'm not confident enough to not kill me.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Man, having just rewatched Fury Road a couple days ago, that mushroom looks like one of their tumor masses.

I'm guessing this was an intentional stylistic choice, tbh.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021

It's just very cautious.

Prolegomena on
  • Options

a bit! it also has a hint of lemon and roughly the same texture

• Options
    notya wrote: »
    mushrooms are so good

I've always wanted to forage for mushrooms but also i'm not confident enough to not kill me.

start with the ones that are easy to identify and you're good

chicken of the woods, maitake, and most chanterelles are pretty easy to ID correctly

• Options
    What to do with these bl/sl chicken breasts that I haven't done recently. I've sone curry, Stir fry, roast. I am not sure what I am in the mood for, but I got these staring me in the face.

Been veering more into good healthy options, and I love me my veg. I just don't have inspiration right now.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    What to do with these bl/sl chicken breasts that I haven't done recently. I've sone curry, Stir fry, roast. I am not sure what I am in the mood for, but I got these staring me in the face.

Been veering more into good healthy options, and I love me my veg. I just don't have inspiration right now.

https://www.seriouseats.com/chicken-tinga-spicy-mexican-shredded-chicken-recipe

I know the recipe calls for bone in, etc...but I've done it with bl/sl so the same success.

• Options
    I once recommended the chicken tinga to my mom at a restaurant we were at, and when the waitress showed up she ordered "chicken chinga". The waitress almost managed to keep her shit together enough not to laugh, and my mom had absolutely no idea she just told our waitress to fuck a chicken.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Challah is rising.

Apples and raisins and cinnamon.

Happy new year, folks

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Cooking thread, I have recently come into ownership of a few Carolina Reaper and Super Chili peppers. Would it be better for me to try to cut and dehydrate these and turn them into a fine spice powder, or to just freeze em and chop em up/use em when I need them (most likely for chili)

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I'd freeze em.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Cut into bite pieces and marinade in some lime juice and tandoori masaala

Broil, grill, or flash-fry in a pan with a very little oil

Combine into a wholemeal wrap with some salad and a squeeze of fresh lime juice, or eat with brown rice and vegetables. Goes really nicely with some garlicky yoghurt as a sauce. Low fat yoghurt is fine! Either way, the whole combo is high in flavour, fibre, vitamins and low in fat and high GI carbs.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Cooking thread, I have recently come into ownership of a few Carolina Reaper and Super Chili peppers. Would it be better for me to try to cut and dehydrate these and turn them into a fine spice powder, or to just freeze em and chop em up/use em when I need them (most likely for chili)

Given how hot they are if you do decide to dehydrate and blend them you would have to be super super careful to make sure you don't accidentally mace yourself with airborne chilli particles in the process.

• Options
    Yeah like, I like hot sauce, but I have no need for anything hotter than a medium habanero or scotch bonnet. After handling something like that you have to be extremely diligent in washing your hands (or just wear gloves) or you end up giving yourself a bad case of hot cock.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    The one time I managed to grow a bumper crop of super-hot jalapenos, I spent about an hour dicing and freezing them and the rest of the day soaking my hands in milk and cursing god.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Every time I cook with chillies I end up rubbing it in my eye. Every single time.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Every time I cook with chillies I end up rubbing it in my eye. Every single time.

Have you considered swim goggles?

(I'm only half joking. Proper safety goggles might be better.)

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    goggles actually work for cutting onions

• Options
    edited September 2021

Have you considered swim goggles?

(I'm only half joking. Proper safety goggles might be better.)

It usually happens after I'm done with the chillies and have washed my hands, I'm really careful while in the actual process. Just washing them doesn't ever seem to make my hands no longer dangerous.

I do need some goggles for onions though. I hate chopping onions, my eyes always react so badly.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    For peppers and such, I wear nitrile gloves any time I have to use my hands to directly handle them. With onions you can either wet your cutting surface, or fill a shallow bowl or a plate with water next to where you're cutting them. The spores that get all up in your tears ducts and make you go abloo bloo bloo are "attracted" to moisture, so giving them an alternative target closet the the release of the spores usually helps.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    According to J Kenji Lopez-Alt, the trick to not tearing up when you cut onions is to have a knife so sharp it makes a Hanzo sword look like a stick.

• Options
    Yeah actually when I first got the knife Brolo sent me for Satan's onions weren't so bad but they've got worse recently, I guess that means I need to sharpen it.

And gloves are a great idea for chillies, we've probably got loads around as well that we bought at the start of covid. I'm so dumb I never think of these things.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    According to J Kenji Lopez-Alt, the trick to not tearing up when you cut onions is to have a knife so sharp it makes a Hanzo sword look like a stick.

Oh yeah a sharp knife helps a ton too, so you don't use more force and crush the onion, which makes them "bleed" more. That reminds me I need to buy a good steel for my chef's knife, it's getting a little dull.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    For peppers and such, I wear nitrile gloves any time I have to use my hands to directly handle them. With onions you can either wet your cutting surface, or fill a shallow bowl or a plate with water next to where you're cutting them. The spores that get all up in your tears ducts and make you go abloo bloo bloo are "attracted" to moisture, so giving them an alternative target closet the the release of the spores usually helps.

The other option for onions is to cool them down a bit in the fridge as well.

I very rarely bother with that unless I am cutting a few kilos.

Often though I’ll place my cutting board on the stove and turn on the extractor.

• Options
    I've found the water thing does work. I often wet down my arms and it seems to help. But I never think to do it until I'm already blind and crying.

This discussion has been closed.