As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I would hope the last page concerns a book that published itself, detailing classified information.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    this one is also good

https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-177

just wizard chess, nothing sinister or anything, just automatic magic chess

edit: but if you cheat it throws itself at you at an indeterminate, but probably fatal speed.

Depressperado on
    I don’t have the patience to do a proper SCP, but I like the idea of a fairly mundane anomalous object, but outside that report is the narrative that the report just appeared one day on someone’s desk, and the object itself does not exist, nor do any of the staff who appear in the report. Is the report itself an mimic? Did any of it ever exist? Why does one of the alleged agents share a surname with the one who found the report?

Really layer it House of Leaves style.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I don’t have the patience to do a proper SCP, but I like the idea of a fairly mundane anomalous object, but outside that report is the narrative that the report just appeared one day on someone’s desk, and the object itself does not exist, nor do any of the staff who appear in the report. Is the report itself an mimic? Did any of it ever exist? Why does one of the alleged agents share a surname with the one who found the report?

There are SCPs like that AFAIK

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Naphtali wrote: »

There are SCPs like that AFAIK

Yeah, seems like I thing you’d do

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    there's one that's some kinda anti-memetic object and the only reason they know it exists is because there's paperwork on it and a room to store it in, otherwise you just forget about it.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

This is a sad story but also a bit spooky, a family of 3 and their dog were found dead on a hiking trail in NorCal with no obvious signs of trauma, no suicide note, nothing to indicate that they didn’t just drop dead right there on the trail. The police and other investigators are treating the area as a hazmat site, speculating that it could have been anything from toxic gasses being released from nearby mines to some kind of microorganism that killed them.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    there's one that's some kinda anti-memetic object and the only reason they know it exists is because there's paperwork on it and a room to store it in, otherwise you just forget about it.

There isn't paperwork on what 055 is, there is paperwork on what 055 is not.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    The dead on the trail is super mega extra spooky when you learn about how there are certain gases you can keep happily breathing with no idea until whoops no oxygen and *thunk*

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    That's nowhere near as spooky as some of the shit we've come up with under the express pretense of harming humans, though. Nature has no ethics or morals to break.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    https://old.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/piatiw/welcome_to_philly/

WTF America. WTF. This is haunting imagery. One of your cities is straight-up frickin' broken. Opioid crisis, damn. :bigfrown:

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Weaver wrote: »
    The dead on the trail is super mega extra spooky when you learn about how there are certain gases you can keep happily breathing with no idea until whoops no oxygen and *thunk*

Theres an entire arc in Dr. Stone about this and fuck nature man

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Zilla360 wrote: »

WTF America. WTF. This is haunting imagery. One of your cities is straight-up frickin' broken. Opioid crisis, damn. :bigfrown:

"One" of our cities, you say. If only things were that optimistic!

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I've seen that recently in Baltimore and DC.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    I love Philly, it's like, my only blind [location/sports entity] loyalty, but it is a real bummer a lot.

oh I've been having dreams that are just a regular events occurring normal day and suddenly get stuck in an infinite hallway or series of like, motel rooms and shit.

sometimes I pick the infinite hallways because I am presented with a choice and the other option is all Silent Hill crusty.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    oh I've been having dreams that are just a regular events occurring normal day and suddenly get stuck in an infinite hallway or series of like, motel rooms and shit.

sometimes I pick the infinite hallways because I am presented with a choice and the other option is all Silent Hill crusty.
    That just sounds like 'Control', the video game.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

Dog there is a street here in Vancouver, BC that looks exactly like this. A single street where there are something like 30 overdose deaths per day.

And the Sacklers just won immunity from being sued forever ha ha

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    And the Sacklers just won immunity from being sued forever ha ha

More rage-inducing than horrifying, but I'll allow it for here.

They should've been fined for infinity plus 1 dollars. ugh.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Cambiata wrote: »

"One" of our cities, you say. If only things were that optimistic!

The tent communities in LA are sprawling these days

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

I get why you posted this video but I kind of hate the idea of this being in the spooky thread. I'm sure it's not your intention here but I feel like the inclusion of that video here contributes to how people "other" the homeless population. It also serves to throw the thread pretty significantly off-topic.

It's absolutely horrific stuff but I'm not sure it belongs in the "spooky" thread.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    That's grotesque. I can't believe someone would make a pumpkin out of spider bones like that.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I love impossible skeletons

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

UeQZpFXu5isXcxqB5IHI2Q_kovg-NFnpkxyDdjCkrb0.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=f7938bcc38500a5706997e832b2658e729152f94

Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

UeQZpFXu5isXcxqB5IHI2Q_kovg-NFnpkxyDdjCkrb0.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=f7938bcc38500a5706997e832b2658e729152f94
    Jeebus, it’s bad enough out skeletons are wet all the time, imagine if they were wet and hairy

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Spiders have hairy exoskeletons. This is a hairy endoskeleton.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Spiders have hairy exoskeletons. This is a hairy endoskeleton.

Honestly I'm that case like it's unsettling, but a good blow with a baseball bat is going to see that thing in goey leaking pieces.

Now when it turns out that this doesn't work and it's exoskeleton defies the strength and toughness of any material we know of, that's when we get spooked!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    That's grotesque. I can't believe someone would make a pumpkin out of spider bones like that.

I clocked it as a dead facehugger

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    It's just a lamp with its skin off.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Somehow this is the first I ever heard of the musician who called himself The Caretaker. The guy, Leyland James Kirby, is done with projects under the name The Caretaker, but his aesthetic while doing those albums was electronic distortions of 30's ballroom music, with an emphasis on human memory.

This piece is called Everywhere At The End of Time, and it's a six and a half hour journey meant to musically describe what it's like to die of Alzheimer's in six stages. It works well for the kind of horror I like, in that it's a long road into increasing dread about something that could happen to anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJWksPWDKOc

If you watch the video on Youtube, you can go to the video's description to see the short paragraphs that explain each stage. Or you can go on Bandcamp to read the descriptions there: https://thecaretaker.bandcamp.com/album/everywhere-at-the-end-of-time

It's an incredibly haunting piece. To get the full effect, however, your best bet would be to listen to it all in one sitting. Having said that, I absolutely broke it up into sections because I got stuff to do. I just think I lost something with that mode of listening.

The Caretaker also made music videos for the first two stages, though I haven't watched them myself:

Stage 1:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlCKYeQFw3U

Stage 2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is8FSKprMPI

And finally if all that is too much, this guy did a review of the project that made me listen to it in the first place, and I think he's good at describing what the music does, so if you'd rather a synopsis here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV_1fnktD8w

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »

The guy who does Lorenzo Music is really good.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork