As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[No Man's Sky] coming to Nintendo Switch

SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentitytrying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
edited February 2022 in Games and Technology
w8zo5byoja8g.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udDXRQMPyKQ

https://www.nomanssky.com/frontiers-update/

Sean Murray is a threat to us all and must be stopped

Old stuff:
2021 updates (old)
Limited time events have been a thing now apparently. You start a fresh save, do some things, then unlock stuff that you can use in any of your saves. Here's the official page for the current Expedition:
https://www.nomanssky.com/2021/05/no-mans-sky-expedition-2/
IceBurner wrote:
WARNING: Once on Nessie Q8 in the Doppen VII system, do not quit to main menu, quit the game, leave the planet, or even wander too far away until you have cleared Echo Through the Ages and Historical Paragon.
You do not want to come this far just to glitch the milestones and have to start over.

Here is a walkthrough, spoilers etc.:
https://www.fanbyte.com/guides/no-mans-sky-beachhead-expedition-guide-all-steps-rewards-tips/

And here's a speedrun video that I haven't watched and which probably contains spoilers.
IceBurner wrote: »
I wrote a bit of a guide to quickly/efficiently clearing Expedition #2: Beachhead. I wish I had more time to polish this, especially adding pictures. By the time I did that, it would be over, so it is what it is. I hope it's of some use.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vR9Hl5MVgYJL-l1W4ku-TP-h0wg7ZDGxIo5By649UGloTNrapmP7Gzsxeu2WxCrcrGkTWUWXdiRZLn-/pub

I have no idea what else has been going on with this game, Sean Murray is a crazy person.

Massive 2020 update like whoa
I'll be honest, I haven't been keeping up with this game but it's constantly been updated; there are, like, mech suits now? And you can farm animals somehow? Hello Games please stop, you can't keep adding this much stuff, it's too much!

Massive August 2019 update like whoa
- bases can be bigger and can have logic and electricity in them
- revamped multiplayer with some kind of social hub that will have bases highlighted
- multiplayer missions that announce you're embarking on them and invite other players
- you'll be able to ride animals, and also farm them or something?
- the intro stuff has been sped up or streamlined or something
- when did submarines get added to this?
- they're STILL working on this???

- oh yeah you can play in VR now I guess

I haven't been keeping up to date on this so there are probably a bunch of features that have been added between the big updates but anyway here is what I've heard about this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM7ArMxUFR0

Massive July 2018 update like whoa
- bases can be built anywhere now
- freighters are more customizable
- tech and upgrades are now procedurally generated
- some kind of interactive map?
- ringed planets, continents, more detailed graphics
- so many minor changes, I don't even know what they all are
- character editor
- third person camera
- actual multiplayer where you can group up or encounter random people
- they're still working on this???

So because this game now has multiplayer (what?!) here is a Google Sheet for usernames, if people want that, and a link to the G&T Discord server.

Also, because some of the above changes are substantial, it is recommended that you start a new game (the planets and tech and resources are all changed now). But supposedly you can pack up your base and restore it in new spot if you do wish to continue an old save.

https://youtu.be/h3HphgSn0o4

Massive August 2017 update like whoa
- permadeath mode
- interplanetary portals
- basic mission system
- lots of tweaks
- you can crash your ship now
- some kind of almost multiplayer where you can see other people as glowing orbs??
- they're still working on this???

https://youtu.be/5328iuzHw-w

Massive November 2016 update like whoa
- normal, survival, creative modes
- base building
- a freighter???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI9PvjJJijY
Rave reviews:
Disco11 wrote: »
Game keeps finding new ways to disappoint me.
Tube wrote: »
Nah it's a pile of horseshit. It's not even "it's not what they promised!", that isn't the issue. It's just not good. The fundamental design of the game doesn't work well.
Houn wrote: »
OK, this is getting really, really boring.
Echo wrote: »
Procedurally generated crap.

But what is it?
No Man's Sky is a procedurally generated disappointment engine, featuring a very large number of stars to visit, each with some number of planets to explore, all populated by technically unique but suspiciously similar disappointments.

It was developed by Hello Games, a tiny indie studio co-founded by Sean Murray, aka Satan, the Devil, who sold everything you would have liked about it to Sony, also the Devil, for 60USD.

But for real:
There are a lot of people legitimately disappointed with the game and/or Hello Games' communication. The game definitely doesn't "feel" like a "full price AAA" game, and a lot of promised features are very cut down or removed entirely.

For a thorough catalogue I recommend One Man's Lie, which lists everything ever said about the game. Some of it is reasonable, some of it is... less so.

Perhaps it is better to start with what No Man's Sky is not:
- it is not Star Citizen With Colors: this ain't a space sim; the flight mechanics are extremely simplistic, the combat is light, you aren't even allowed to crash into things without mods. Oh and no, there is no multiplayer. UPDATE: you can crash your ship and you can see traces of other players now supposedly. ANOTHER UPDATE: there is now multiplayer.
- it is not Minecraft In Space: while the (natural) environments are fully destructible down to a base layer, you won't be building anything or making permanent changes. There's no ecology or farming or stuff like that. UPDATE: the Foundation patch has added a base building blocks thing and some farming type stuff. ANOTHER UPDATE: the Atlas Rises patch has added a terrain editing tool. ANOTHER ANOTHER UPDATE: bases can now be built anywhere.
- it is not Ark Except Bigger: the survival aspect is not very challenging (nearly nonexistent, really), you will almost never be in a truly dangerous situation, your upgrades will make you more resilient but it's more of a convenience thing. UPDATE: the Foundation patch has added a Survival mode that is quite hard for the first couple of hours. ANOTHER UPDATE: the Atlas Rises patch has added a permadeath mode.
- it is not Skyrim But Also Spaceships: it is like Skyrim if you took out the quests, the equipment, most NPCs, much of the combat, the cities, and the story. You basically get to keep the plant collection. UPDATE: there are now missions; simple ones, but they exist.

What the game actually is:
Here's what I put in my Steam review, which was rated highly unhelpful within minutes.
This game is a space walking simulator. It's a galactic berry picker. It is boring.

It's also amazing. If it happens to be the sort of thing you like.

If you like survival sims, or space sims, or building things, or complex combat, or varied NPC interactions, or sick loot... this doesn't have those things.

The game elements serve only as the lightest incentives to wander around collecting stuff, with the reward being the wandering, not the stuff. If you like cresting a ridge and seeing a valley spread out below you, the sunset tinting it vibrant colors; if your heart beats as you see a faint fluorescent glow emanating from a cave entrance that you almost missed; if you have to dive into a lake to see what's beneath its surface; if you long to point your ship at a distant star to see what worlds you find there: you might like this game.

I've put 36 72 hours into it and I've not even maybe gotten halfway through the things I want to do, and seen only a fraction of the things I hope to see.

More specific stuff:
The gameplay elements are extremely repetitive; you'll come across almost identical buildings, harvest the same minerals, see the same freighters, have the same conversations, do the same puzzles, etc. It is 100% about the journey from one place to the next, seeing the sights along the way. Your most important tool is the screenshot button.

There are no items to collect besides minerals and the occasional upgraded multitool, so there are no treasures the bottom of a lake or in the deepest recesses of a cave or on some distant moon. I cannot stress enough that this game is barely a game; there are things you do, yes, but really they're only there to get you to wander around a planet and see the sights. And they are some great sights.

The space controls are extremely arcadey; think Star Fox or Rogue Squadron. The combat is generally very simple, aside from recharging your shields mid fight, which is garbage. Combat is much like a minigame: enemy ships show up, and you can engage or try to run. But it's always just gonna be you versus a pack of 4 to 8 (maybe more) ships. UPDATE: other ships can help you out nowadays.

On foot (which is probably how you'll be spending most of your time), there's practically no combat. Sometimes you shoot things attacking you, but mostly you shoot rocks. The wildlife just wanders around, and there's very little interaction with anything. You can scan stuff and store it in a journal type thing, kind of like Metroid Prime.

The crafting is very limited: you have to find random blueprints, and cannot build anything otherwise. The fun comes from managing the layout of the upgrades you craft to link matching types, which makes them better.

Ship types may not affect much, if anything, so the only reasons to get different ships are 1) more cargo space, 2) looks, and 3) ship health can also vary, it turns out. UPDATE: ships have classes and ratings and presumably are better or worse at certain things now.

There are no maps or anything, so there's functionally no turning back. There's no storing things in a base or anything. You have your ship and your suit. Toss your junk, rip out the guts of your new stuff, always be crafting. UPDATE: bases have been in for a while now. You can always get back to your base and the last few stations you've visited once you unlock the teleporter.

One of cooler gameplay things are the words: you collect words from the three alien languages, and they translate your interactions with NPCs. So you slowly understand more and more of each conversation, letting you choose your responses better. This also helps freshen up the interactions, because they are very repetitive.

In short, the game stuff is definitely lacking. But the environments and the sense of discovery are great. It's a game made for screenshots rather than streaming, I think.

Some info for when you're starting out (just one big spoiler (don't worry, it's marked) I think, but in case you want to figure stuff out on your own):
BIG BOLD NOTE: it is highly recommended that you do the base building questline early on, since it unlocks a bunch of stuff. Don't worry about finding the perfect spot for a base, you can pack it all up and move it to a better spot later.

"Story" paths:
There are three "paths" you can choose to take: you can follow the call of the Atlas, you can help Nada and Polo in their research, or you can head towards the center. You can switch between the paths, and there's no urgent reason to do any of them. UPDATE: there is an additional storyline now, the Artemis questline.

Atlas path (very useful):
Worth following at least until you get the Atlas v1 pass, which lets you unlock the doors on one side of the space stations, which always have a suit inventory slot for sale.

You should hang on to the stones if you plan to complete this path (but it is possible to reacquire them if needed). UPDATE:
this now works differently I guess?

Nada/Polo path:
This will help you find black holes, which move you closer to the center.

Center path (spoiler for what is at the center):
If you're having a good time and don't really care about what is at the center, I recommend skipping this. This actual for real spoiler is included because many find it disappointing, so if you're interested in getting the game to find the big secret... maybe think twice about it?
You either get sent back to the edges or to a "new" galaxy that is pretty much the same.

Items/resources:
When you break an upgrade down it'll sometimes create a stackable version of an item used to create it, which lets you store them way more conveniently. Keep these stacks in your suit, because they will explode into individual items if your ship blows up. UPDATE: I believe this has been "fixed."

You'll find there are some elements that you always want to have on you, and some rarer ones that are often used in crafting. The rare single items are not worth saving unless you are going to use one soon. Nothing is so rare that you won't find more of it.

Buildings and stuff on planets:
- drop pods contain suit inventory slots
- ruins/plaques/monoliths give you words
- transmission signals will sometimes lead you to crashed ships
- UPDATE: you can now build things! Press up on the D-pad or Z to open the build menu

New ships:
The ships may not have any differences besides looks health; some combat looking ones may have a lead indicator but maybe that's an upgrade. UPDATE: ships are different now like whoa. They have shield/damage/warp stats along with different classes and handling.

Moving inventories around is a pain, but planning ahead helps.

Upgrades:
- link them (by putting ones that are for the same thing next to each other)

- try the plasma launcher

Scanning animals:
- birds are assholes, but if you just track them long enough while zoomed in they'll usually scan now they scan fine!
- animals out of sight will show up as grey dots while scanning; might be limited to land/water/caves, depending on which you're in
- scanner upgrades on your multitool let you "see" farther away dots
- the dots will turn red or green as you approach to indicate if the critter is something you've already scanned or not; there's a mod that adds colorblind-friendly indicators
- sometimes you'll get a floating gray dot that never materializes; this is just a bug

But enough of all that, on to the screenshots!

Experience:

- Far off worlds!
BladeX wrote: »
op1.jpg
Kalnaur wrote: »
op2.jpg
- Exciting* combat!
275850_20170820155927_1.jpg
* combat may or may not be exciting (bring iron sodium)
- The wonders of nature!
agoaj wrote: »
Look at this cutie
op3.jpg
MichaelLC wrote: »
JESUS! I mean..wow, nice to...meet you? Fuc...er, yes, lovely day we're having. Oh, yes, that's my Geiger counter.. I should, uh, be going now...Damn!
op4.jpg
- The convenience of automatic ship parking!
Dirtyboy wrote: »
op5.jpg
BladeX wrote: »
op6.jpg
- Regrettable purchasing decisions!
MichaelLC wrote: »
Alas, my heart was quickly tempted by another ship! A red ship! She was a real fixer-upper, but we made it:
op7.jpg

Maybe I shouldn't have been so hasty:
op8.jpg
- And more!

The galaxy awaits!

Oh and there are mods (no idea if these still work or exist)
http://nomansskymods.com/

Official news: (sporadically updated):
(If anyone would like to be removed from this frankenpost, or has corrections/additions/suggestions, just shoot me a PM.)

old thread here, for historical purposes:
https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/206925/no-mans-sky-this-is-now-the-old-thread

Surfpossum on

• JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Time for the Big Update Reinstall Ritual I guess

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Yesterday I was hoping that the expedition would start Friday; but having played some last night and this morning, I honestly hope it isn't.

Things are way too buggy right now. Regular lock ups when exiting my ship, lots of hangs when transitioning between areas that always had a minor hitch (like exiting the atmosphere), but now drag so long that it feels like it could crash (and judging from comments from other players online, particularly on consoles, they are getting a lot of crashes in those spots). Lots of situations where the game opens a menu to have you accept/select something (npc giving you a multitool, freighter customization, etc) straight up don't work. People are reporting that virtually every aspect of the settlement stuff is buggy as hell and liable to break at any point in the questline, and even if they can get through stuff, there's bugs with debt going to basically infinity or buildings resetting, etc. Then a lot of people are saying that using augments to expand their ships or multi-tools is causing their multitools to bug out, removing and resetting modules, setting the stats of multitools to zero, deleting multitools, and so on.

Massive, gamebreaking bugs that I'm not sure Hello Games can guarantee they can undo when they get it fixed.

I'd really just recommend, generally, avoiding loading up your saves at all right now, just to be safe. :( I'm sure there's plenty of people who aren't having problems, but for those of us who are, it's really frustrating! I expect HG will resolve all of it, they've been good about quashing bugs in the past, but this feels far and away more buggy than previous patches, and I think they definitely should have held back on releasing it another few weeks.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I'd really just recommend, generally, avoiding loading up your saves at all right now, just to be safe. :( I'm sure there's plenty of people who aren't having problems, but for those of us who are, it's really frustrating! I expect HG will resolve all of it, they've been good about quashing bugs in the past, but this feels far and away more buggy than previous patches, and I think they definitely should have held back on releasing it another few weeks.
    I agree on waiting.

That said, each player's latest Prisms saves should have been automatically backed up upon starting Frontiers. Players should be able to manually restore all progress from before Frontiers.

I'm not sure how it might have been done on console. On PC the backups are in .../AppData/HelloGames/NMS/(your NMS profile ID here)/strbackup/

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    edited September 2021
    The patch on experimental looks like it has fixes for a lot of the major bugs (at least the ones I've experienced, it seems like maybe consoles are in a worse place), so that's encouraging.

Still, another week of tuning can't hurt for the expedition, but I imagine they were hoping to start this weekend for the holiday in the US, and I guess the game is on sale too.

We will see. I don't really feel like dorking with the experimental branch, I'll just wait till the patch goes live.

The Dude With Herpes on

• McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    2nd patch since Frontiers launch hit today, probably close to getting there on stability

Side note: I did not find the idea of pet companions compelling until I was able to adopt a french diplo and a glowing electric soccer ball

McRhyno on
    PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
    Todays patch fixed all the problems I was encountering.

Still haven't really done the settlement stuff, so I can't say what of that was resolved.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Well that's just too fuckin cool. I'm really liking these new parts, I'm actually wanting to try and build a nice cozy home with em near my settlement.

JtgVX0H.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I haven't played NMS since that first mega upgrade several years ago when they "fixed the game." I've just been a casual observer since then, noting as new patches come by. At some point I really should get back into it and give all the new content a try.

Most notably, I thought their derelicts feature looked super neat. I'm actually hopeful that they will revisit those in the future, maybe add some more iterations and new possibilities to the random generator.

I'd also like to see combat given a bit of an overhaul. I'm not asking for the game to become some sort of ultimate space shooter. But combat is definitely clunky and there's definite room for improvement. Maybe a few more weapons, shields, armor thrown in. They could devote an entire major content patch to combat overhaul.

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Going through a derelict freighter on my old permadeath save (the only one I have an old preorder ship on; the Nojose's Crystal Folly, sadly, not the original) was so incredibly tense, it was great.

It would probably get old eventually but as it was only my second time it was an excellent experience.

Extremely not worth it financially but I assume at some point you want the junk it gives you.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Going through a derelict freighter on my old permadeath save (the only one I have an old preorder ship on; the Nojose's Crystal Folly, sadly, not the original) was so incredibly tense, it was great.

It would probably get old eventually but as it was only my second time it was an excellent experience.

Extremely not worth it financially but I assume at some point you want the junk it gives you.

It starts to be worth it if you've maxed other things and need more storage space in your freighter, as you can gain one slot of freighter storage space for each derelict you raid (at the end computer). I've done, like, 6-10 of them? And while they can get slightly "old" (in that after the first few seeing a wrecked freighter isn't as impactful) the fact that you're almost always in danger of constantly freezing and the space being procedurally generated means I haven't hit an exact duplicate layout yet, so the tenseness of not knowing what's around the corner is there too still. So it can still hold some of the dread, even if after the first few you know to bring enough stuff to keep you warm and bring ammo in case monsters or auto-defenses are up.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    edited September 2021
    I'd like the derelicts more if it didn't seem like I got the swarm ones 99% of the time. They're just so tedious.

Or maybe I just do them wrong.

EDIT: They need to fix the weird rending problems inside freighters. I have wall curves jutting out into passage ways, and it's really obnoxious.

The Dude With Herpes on

• akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I've got a good derelict I farm when I feel like it. Small number of rooms, only like 3-4 of those floating jellyfish things, and something like 50 (!) chests/lockers/crates to open. It's a nice relaxing and lucrative derelict heh.

My settlement finally started offering me buildings to build (I'd abandoned the first settlement cuz hell planet), but still no other events like visitors or disputes. And none of the buildings it's asked me to build have done squat. I fought off another sentinel wave, but... Why? They weren't actually damaging anything.

I'm struggling to even bother logging in to put another x widgets on another useless building. Can't build anything of my own in there to decorate, can't teleport to it even. It's ok to look at, but seems completely worthless, and the timers really grind my gears.

I didn't need to be all "I'm end-game, I'll max it out in a day!" but having something to do there might be nice.

Oh, and the game performance has gone to shit since the update. Just laggy as hell, even when I'm nowhere near my base or settlement. Ugh.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I've gone back to the game for the first time in a while and it's not exactly stable on the old XBone. Very prone to hanging and then crashing out to the desktop/dashboard (whatever it's called). I'm a fan of Bethesda's games, so I'd be able to live with that except the save functionality isn't exactly super flexible.
    It'd crash previously, but generally only if I spent a lot of time flying around a planet in the upper atmosphere. Now it's conking out when I'm just hoofing it around on a planetary surface. Not even doing anything goofy with terrain or base building, it just conks. Very annoying.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    What does Bethesda have to do with it?

akjak wrote: »

Probably that their games are notoriously buggy.

edited September 2021
    Yeah, I think the idea was that if you're really into Bethesda developed games you have a much higher tolerance for jank.

The Dude With Herpes on

patchy patch patch
    • Fixed an issue that caused debug-only base parts to appear in the Catalogue.
    • Fixed a number of snapping issues when placing fireplaces or NPC terminals to large rooms.
    • While base building, the rotation option now has acceleration to allow faster turning while still retaining detailed control.
    • Fixed a number of issues that could cause power lines to fail to appear.
    • Fixed an issue that allowed players to place an unlimited number of special parts (such as Exocraft geobays) within close proximity of each other.
    • Fixed a rare issue that could cause severe visual glitches when pushing the building and photo mode cameras into very specific situations.
    • Fixed an issue that could cause players to be backed out of base building mode accidentally.
    • Improved the use of the D-pad in base building controls, in order to minimise accidental presses.
    • Snapping is now enabled by default when entering wiring modes.
    • Fixed an issue that caused T-shaped corridors to become blocked when snapped to other structures.
    • Fixed an issue that could prevent some pre-built large rooms from receiving power correctly.
    • Fixed a number of snapping and collision issues with power doors.
    • Fixed an issue that caused short-range teleporters to function correctly without power.
    • Fixed a number of snapping and collision issues with freighter rooms.
    • Fixed a number of UI issues with base building in VR.
    • Fixed a number of glitches with settlement NPC navigation.
    • Fixed an issue that could cause settlement NPCs to go outside during danger scenarios, such as during storms or Sentinel raids.
    • Fixed an issue that caused patches of foliage to be cleared in settlements before any buildings had been placed.
    • Improved the loading speed of settlements.
    • Introduced a significant number of optimisations for settlements.
    • Fixed an issue that could cause some settlements to fail to generate any decisions for their Overseer. Decisions are now expected at intervals of 15 minutes to 2 hours.
    • Fixed an issue that could cause long grass to spawn within settlements on scorched planets.
    • Added a recovery for players who lost their primary Multi-Tool after accepting a blank tool from an upgrade/purchase UI. Note: the appearance of this erroneous UI screen was fixed in Patch 3.62.
    • Fixed an issue that caused the Electrical Cloaking Unit to work incorrectly.
    • Fixed a physics issue that could cause players to get snagged while moving around the Space Anomaly.
    • Fixed a PlayStation 5 specific issue that could cause some trophies to fail to unlock.
    • Fixed a crash related to settlement NPC navigation.
    • Fixed a crash related to base building.
    • Fixed a crash related to noise generation.
    • Fixed a crash related to base editing.
    • Fixed a crash related to terrain generation.

I hope one of those made the wall hanging plant thingy snap again. I like having free carbon to grab when I go into my freighter, but I also like things aligned and they stopped snapping with Frontiers.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
      akjak wrote: »

Probably that their games are notoriously buggy.

Unstable and prone to crashes that can cause you to lose all sorts of progress, which is why they have a quicksave that's easy to do and they also autosave like freaking crazy.
      Fixed a crash related to settlement NPC navigation.
      Fixed a crash related to base building.
      Fixed a crash related to noise generation.
      Fixed a crash related to base editing.
      Fixed a crash related to terrain generation.

These seem promising.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
      edited September 2021
      FYI: Twitch drop campaign for NMS starts tomorrow at 0700 MDT

Each day has different drops, mostly cosmetics, with some A class ships (that are not really of any particular note, just aimed at new players I imagine) and a handful of companions. 3 hours, each day, for every item; all cosmetics can be gotten with 1hr; the 2 and 3 hour rewards are the companions and ships. As far as I can tell there are no specifically unique companions or ships, they all look pretty run of the mill generic you can find in virtually any system.

The cosmetics are the real prize, IMO, as they're all stuff otherwise gotten from Quicksilver, with some of them, particularly the heads, being quite expensive in the Quicksilver shop (expensive because you're limited per day how much Quicksilver you can farm, so it can take forever to get some things).

I'm not sure if this means the expedition is coming? Would be cool.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited September 2021
      Nice. I'll try to set it up to let a Twitch stream run while I'm working from home. I can set it up on my ipad.

Got any suggestions for good NMS streamers to watch?

Lucascraft on
      Expedition is live, apparently?

No, I don't have any idea who streams NMS, but if you go to your drop inventory on Twitch here: https://www.twitch.tv/drops/campaigns when the campaign starts there'll be links there to streamers with drops enabled.

PC players with no patience for Twitch nonsense: the PC save editor has been updated and can grant all the Twitch stuff (and other account unlocks) if you so desire.

• MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
      IceBurner wrote: »
      PC players with no patience for Twitch nonsense: the PC save editor has been updated and can grant all the Twitch stuff (and other account unlocks) if you so desire.

I might look into that since I'm running the GOG version, which apparently isn't included in this sort of thing.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
      Been messing with settlements some, and just farting around in general. I'm really liking this update, even though a lot of the settlement stuff right now seems pretty shallow. I figure Hello Games will expand upon it later, and for now it's a neat toy to occupy my time with. Plus with all the extra base parts I'm having fun building a cozy little home nearby the shelter (still gotta unlock more parts so I can really clutter the place up)

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

JtgVX0H.png
      edited September 2021
      I started playing again today, since Expedition 3 started and will only be running for 6 weeks.

I've submitted five bug reports to Hello Games. Frontiers is really dang buggy. :(
      1. Every freighter corridor, ramp, and intersection now has two archways wherever it meets another base piece. For curved corridors joining a room, the extra archway sticks out enough to be visibly freestanding in the room. Prior to Frontiers there was always a single archway where the narrow freighter base pieces met any other piece.
      2. The amount of bases with a working Teleport Terminus that now disembark somewhere other than the Terminus has dramatically increased. For my low-orbit base, this usually puts me on the roof, but it tried to outright kill my Traveller once, by spawning some distance away from the base... which itself is hundreds of units above ground.
      3. One some planets with luminous grass, the grass is missing in uniform-size, randomly distributed square chunks. The luminous grass animation makes this all the more obvious.
      4. I can no longer pick up wild Hexplate Bushes. This is the most rare of all Extractable Reality Glitch decorations. I can still pick up the ones I already placed, but I can't gather new wild ones.
      5. Snapping base technology (refiner, teleport, etc.) to the floor of a glass cube stacked 2 or more floors high will create a stray glass panel between the 1st and 2nd floors. This was never the behavior before Frontiers and doesn't happen now if you toggle Free Placement then place the base tech in exactly the same spot.

While this isn't new, my Expedition 1 save still tries to add a new Instability Drive in first free slot in my first ship's General Inventory, every single time I load the game.
      I also sometimes get extra Temporal Warp Computers in my freighter.

Here's Frontiers trying to kill my Traveller:
      https://youtu.be/sPrkrRS2yg0

IceBurner on
      I'm still waiting for them to fix all the shit they broke. It's not yet been a week, right?

I usually wait two before I hop in to check out the new stuff.

edited September 2021
      The glitch that can return former-Expedition saves back to active Expedition mode is alive and well. It just happened to me again, and this time I noticed a pattern.

- After Expedition 1 ended, my save converted to Normal as expedted.
      - During Expedition 2, my Expy 1 save suddenly completed The Aviator, a milestone for flying 500,000u. Main menu then showed it was back in Expedition mode.
      - After Expedition 2 ended, my Expy 1 save converted to Normal, again.
      - During Expedition 3, my Expy 1 save suddenly completed The Pilgrim, a milestone for walking 5,000u. Main menu shows it's back in Expedition mode for the 3rd time.

It seems distance-measuring milestones may be the culprit.

Like before, the milestones are broken for a reactivated former-expedition save. Most are marked complete, with rewards claimed. A handful are complete with rewards to claim. The rest are incomplete with no tasks so they can't be completed. Trying to look at phase 5 crashes NMS.

That's now my sixth bug report to Hello Games today.

IceBurner on
      I sure am glad this Expedition is two months long . . .

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
      What's the goal as it were for this Expedition? I heard you might be stuck on the starter planet for a while.

edited September 2021
      I think the whole thing is on the planet? Fixing your ship or something. I haven't done it yet, been playing FFIV too much.

I get the impression it's pretty short. Given the main reward is a companion, and I don't really care about the companions (I actually find them to be a major hassle, they're always running directly in front of you) , I'm not in a massive hurry to get it done I guess. I was looking forward to it, but then they said it would be primarily on a single planet, which meant to me (based on the previous expeditions) I'd have to play with multiplayer off to have any stability and it feels kinda counterproductive to the idea of the game itself to force you to stick to one world so much. I mean, hey, it's a change of pace, sure; just not feeing the drive to rush in immediately.

Bummer for people having bugged saves. I think I tried playing my save after the first expedition, and the milestones were all dicked up and quests weren't working right, so after that I just made a mental note to not invest anymore than the bare minimum required time to complete the expedition, then go back to my "main" save.

Anyway, I refuse to install java on my PC so I'm having to earn the twitch rewards the hard way. Just a heads up, if you're opening up a stream and leaving it in a different tab, just check it now and then because some streamers just up and start playing different games and the drops get turned off.

The Dude With Herpes on

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
      I tried to play this to experience the new content and everytime I tried to save it crashed and I lost everything I'd been doing. This was in expeditions on the xbox series X. But god damn I lost like an hour+ of play time twice and then uninstalled.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
      edited September 2021
      Yeah, there was a bug last week that would crash damn near every time you saved, and it was fixed, but seems like it was put back in with the expedition patch, at least on consoles. I haven't had any crashing, and I'm almost done with the expedition.

Sorry you had that experience. :(

FYI to anyone doing the expedition though, and hopefully this will be patched, but when you first access the blueprint terminal you can learn anything you could normally learn on the Nexus; but at some point in the expedition (it might be when you leave the planet or system, I'm not totally sure), the blueprint terminal defaults to its normal state, and you lose access to all the stuff you normally can't access in a normal save. Make sure you get a hefty amount of Salvaged Data to learn all the things you want.

At the very least get the storage depot, whatever you want to power your base(s), minotaur (I think there's an expedition goal that gives you this, but I bought it earlier since there is a goal that requires building it), and any base stuff you want.

There is a goal that is to extract 1000 minerals; this is only done via the Mineral Extractor, the Autonomous Mining Unit doesn't count. :rotate: I believe you start with the Mineral Extractor recipe, or you get it early, but you don't get the storage depot; so you can either just build a bunch of extractors, or get the depot and let one or two do their thing while you're doing all the other goals (because they're slow as shit). The planet is hella crowded, but try your best to find an area that has both a power and a mining hotspot; but if you have to choose, go with the mining and just build a ton of solar panels and batteries. EDIT: Copper if you can swing it, you're going to need a ton of Chromatic Metal, and you won't really have any ready access to it, so the more copper the better.

Also, there's a lot of wonkyness on where you can build exocraft bases. It has to do with planetary limitations and multiplayer dicks with that, try moving far away from where you are, if it won't let you, and give it a shot again. I had to move pretty far away from my base to build the Minotaur, but later when I returned it let me build the Roamer without issue. I have no idea.

There are a few goals that are worded in a way that can be a bit confusing; Planetary Building can be pretty much any preset structure, like an observatory, etc. Waypoints are the save things at those structures (and at trade terminals, etc, you'll probably start next to one so you only need to find 3). The Teleport Network is referring to the base teleporter, not the short range teleporter. You just need a teleporter in two different bases to get both goals. Lost objects aren't salvage data, they're buried caches or buried flora (if you select the goal, and bring up your scanner, it should point you to them). Not all of the peaks on the starting planet count toward climbing a mountain. Some are taller than others. You're looking for the ones that are really tall with a pointy tip. Rocketman is a pain in the ass, since you can't cheese it on the nexus. Fortunately, you can probably cheese it while climbing a spire; when you're going up if you're holding your jetpack it won't drain, as you get pretty high, the terrain on those spires can get buggy, what you want to do is select the goal so you can see if the timer is going up or resetting (using the rocket for some reason actually resets the time, you need to not be draining your pack for 30s, I think it's bugged, but whatever), if you can find some terrain that is clipping to get "stuck" on, you'll still be able to have free jetpack because you're on a high slope, but you'll still count as "flying", so just hang out there till it triggers. Finally, Planetary Outpost is a trade outpost with the 7 landing pads (not the single one); when you build your Minotaur, install the scanner upgrade on it, then use the Minotaur's scanner to search for the outpost. It might be a long trek, but you've got plenty of stuff to do on the way to meet other goals.

I think everything else is self explanatory. Finding all the minerals seems to be giving people a headache, but I found one more than was required for the goal. Make sure to get everything underwater and underground (check the ceiling too), and look under some of the plants on the ground for small rocks, and also find the areas where no plants are growing at all, and there are usually 1 or 2 minerals strewn about those areas.

EDIT: Oh, and you can't buy or find any other ship before you repair yours; maybe even not until after you complete the expedition, but definitely not prior to fixing your ship, so you can't just get lucky with a crash site and get everything done super easy. :(

Just waiting for these stupid Extractors to tick over, and I should be done with the Expedition on PC.

I think I'm going to cheese it on PS4, just do it multiplayer and give myself everything I need to quickly repair the ship and build the things necessary.

EDIT: Donions; turns out after the expedition is complete, you can access the Nexus. I don't know why it would matter unless you want to keep playing the file (the second rendivious point planet has some pretty neat flying creatures you can tame, and make eggs for, trade em, or have friends get them to your main file I guess.

The Dude With Herpes on

Yeah, there was a bug last week that would crash damn near every time you saved, and it was fixed, but seems like it was put back in with the expedition patch, at least on consoles. I haven't had any crashing, and I'm almost done with the expedition.

Sorry you had that experience. :(

FYI to anyone doing the expedition though, and hopefully this will be patched, but when you first access the blueprint terminal you can learn anything you could normally learn on the Nexus; but at some point in the expedition (it might be when you leave the planet or system, I'm not totally sure), the blueprint terminal defaults to its normal state, and you lose access to all the stuff you normally can't access in a normal save. Make sure you get a hefty amount of Salvaged Data to learn all the things you want.

At the very least get the storage depot, whatever you want to power your base(s), minotaur (I think there's an expedition goal that gives you this, but I bought it earlier since there is a goal that requires building it), and any base stuff you want.

There is a goal that is to extract 1000 minerals; this is only done via the Mineral Extractor, the Autonomous Mining Unit doesn't count. :rotate: I believe you start with the Mineral Extractor recipe, or you get it early, but you don't get the storage depot; so you can either just build a bunch of extractors, or get the depot and let one or two do their thing while you're doing all the other goals (because they're slow as shit). The planet is hella crowded, but try your best to find an area that has both a power and a mining hotspot; but if you have to choose, go with the mining and just build a ton of solar panels and batteries.

Also, there's a lot of wonkyness on where you can build exocraft bases. It has to do with planetary limitations and multiplayer dicks with that, try moving far away from where you are, if it won't let you, and give it a shot again. I had to move pretty far away from my base to build the Minotaur, but later when I returned it let me build the Roamer without issue. I have no idea.

There are a few goals that are worded in a way that can be a bit confusing; Planetary Building can be pretty much any preset structure, like an observatory, etc. Waypoints are the save things at those structures (and at trade terminals, etc, you'll probably start next to one so you only need to find 3). The Teleport Network is referring to the base teleporter, not the short range teleporter. You just need a teleporter in two different bases to get both goals. Lost objects aren't salvage data, they're buried caches or buried flora (if you select the goal, and bring up your scanner, it should point you to them). Not all of the peaks on the starting planet count toward climbing a mountain. Some are taller than others. You're looking for the ones that are really tall with a pointy tip. Rocketman is a pain in the ass, since you can't cheese it on the nexus. Fortunately, you can probably cheese it while climbing a spire; when you're going up if you're holding your jetpack it won't drain, as you get pretty high, the terrain on those spires can get buggy, what you want to do is select the goal so you can see if the timer is going up or resetting (using the rocket for some reason actually resets the time, you need to not be draining your pack for 30s, I think it's bugged, but whatever), if you can find some terrain that is clipping to get "stuck" on, you'll still be able to have free jetpack because you're on a high slope, but you'll still count as "flying", so just hang out there till it triggers. Finally, Planetary Outpost is a trade outpost with the 7 landing pads (not the single one); when you build your Minotaur, install the scanner upgrade on it, then use the Minotaur's scanner to search for the outpost. It might be a long trek, but you've got plenty of stuff to do on the way to meet other goals.

I think everything else is self explanatory. Finding all the minerals seems to be giving people a headache, but I found one more than was required for the goal. Make sure to get everything underwater and underground (check the ceiling too), and look under some of the plants on the ground for small rocks, and also find the areas where no plants are growing at all, and there are usually 1 or 2 minerals strewn about those areas.

Just waiting for these stupid Extractors to tick over, and I should be done with the Expedition on PC.

I think I'm going to cheese it on PS4, just do it multiplayer and give myself everything I need to quickly repair the ship and build the things necessary.

At least you acknowledge it! I tried deleting my save (it was only 45 minutes of game time but god damn it) seems like I can save right when I get in for like 2 minutes and then crash city. Its frustrating because I want to play and have some fun, but if I can't save I can't progress and so here I sit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
      So, do I have to have multiplayer on to do the expedition? Because people aren't fun.

So, do I have to have multiplayer on to do the expedition? Because people aren't fun.

No, you can turn it off, but it'll only stop you from seeing other people, their bases and other stuff will still be around. Well, sometimes their bases won't load, but the area will still be claimed, it's kind of irritating.

You might be able to turn off your internet after you create the expedition, but I didn't try, and I'm not sure if it'd mess with the milestones or not.

Fortunately, if you're just aiming for the milestones, it's a fairly quick expedition. I think I did it in like 5 hours, and I could easily shave an hour or two off that by better organizing tasks (i.e. get the minotaur early, search for a trade outpost, and do all the collection/scanning/digging stuff on the way; build extractors immediately, etc). So you can just knock it out and be back to a lone universe; unless I'm playing with my kids, it's my preference too.

I've finished the part about 1000 minerals. If I delete the base I have built to do it, will that site become available to others? It's a good one... A-rank Copper, A-rank power within 300u of each other.

I saw there was a patch for NMS hopefully fixes my issue, hilariously been too wrapped up in baseball to try it out.

pleasepaypreacher.net
      Has anyone done the Twitch drops for this? Do they go into some sort of mailbox system for retrieval? Or do they instantly go to your character?

The reason I ask is because I kinda need / want to delete and restart, because it has been 2+ years since the last time I played, and I don't really remember how to play or anything. So I just want to start over. But I don't want to delete all these drops if they go straight to your character.

Also, what happens if you own the game on multiple systems? I have my Steam account linked, and my PSN account linked, and I own the game on both systems.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
      edited September 2021
      Lucascraft wrote: »
      Has anyone done the Twitch drops for this? Do they go into some sort of mailbox system for retrieval? Or do they instantly go to your character?

The reason I ask is because I kinda need / want to delete and restart, because it has been 2+ years since the last time I played, and I don't really remember how to play or anything. So I just want to start over. But I don't want to delete all these drops if they go straight to your character.

Also, what happens if you own the game on multiple systems? I have my Steam account linked, and my PSN account linked, and I own the game on both systems.

Link your your Twitch account to your Steam/PSN/XBL accounts and once claimed they will be redeemable at the quicksilver vendor in the nexus. Whichever accounts you have linked will get credit, but I don't whether adding an account after the fact would get you retroactive credit(e.g. you unlocked with just Steam, then linked PSN to Twitch later)

Edit: actually looks like you can. https://twitch.nomanssky.com/

Donnicton on