As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] Where we don't click links we don't know even if our friends appear to send them!

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    kc5xs2q3dtlp.jpg

Got some American Truck Simulator convoying going on earlier with @SmokeStacks and @Viking . More pics in the screenshots thread here: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/44009392/#Comment_44009392

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Nah, I prefer these people show their whole ass so I can ignore them forever

Your favorite musician is a pedophile and the politician you voted for beats her kids. If you ignore everyone who you disagree with you're gonna end up living in a cave completely naked smashing two rocks together for entertainment.

It's almost impressive, watching you weave this strawman in real-time. What I can't figure out is why you're so incandescent about this.

Incandescent is a pretty big stretch, it's more just being tired of idiots saying dumb stuff on twitter and people immediately frothing at the mouth over it. You're like kindergarteners gleefully running to tell the teacher on someone. I don't understand why you people are so desperate to be mad at someone who doesn't agree with you, but lucky for you there is a neverending parade of idiots on twitter who will happily feed your desire.

Some random game developer's opinion on [anything] literally does not matter, but people like you just had to streisand it and now the entire "gaming community" has seen it. Good job.

The only one "frothing at the mouth" over this is you, trying to dismiss what was said as merely "someone who doesn't agree" with us, as though he was expressing his feelings about pineapple on pizza, and not applauding the policing of bodily autonomy. Would you be as up in arms if he had expressed revulsion about interracial relationships, or his opposition to same-sex marriage, and we had posted about it, saying "hey, this dude has shit beliefs, be aware before you give him money?"

DarkPrimus on
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Everybody makes decisions by considering information, and sometimes a single point of information is enough to be decisive. Whether to consume bleach is simple - "it's poison, dummy, don't do it" typically overrides all other concerns. Whether to consume pizza rolls is complicated - "yes, they're bad for you, but they won't literally kill you even though your stomach will want to" means the decision hinges on multiple factors.

Similarly, there's not a lot I, the lone consumer, can do about broad industry problems or general suspicion of things like crunch, bigotry, parts made with sweatshop labor, AAA excess, small-r rockstar behavior with all that implies, and so on. But information about a specific developer can change how badly I want something. It's not always stop-the-presses bad, but sometimes the thing I learned is big enough that it swamps everything else. There's a difference between "famous developers are probably doing dumb or awful shit behind closed doors" and "this one person in particular fucked a shoe and posted the results on Twitter."

Now I've no love for Twitter; it has its uses but I unironically believe it's made us all dumber and made it harder to focus as a species. But ultimately nobody's owed your gaming dollar, and you're free to withhold it for whatever reason you like. A developer posting their hot take on politics probably isn't assembling pipe bombs in their garage, but it's generally not unreasonable for someone else to take offense and decide they've got better places to spend the money.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Not only that, but CEOs and bigwigs are like, the exact people who donate to causes and politicians that further the causes they like; and this exact scenario this dude is basically saying "hey I'm gonna take your gamer dollars and spend it on fucking over women every chance I get"

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Would you be as up in arms if he had expressed revulsion about interracial relationships, or his opposition to same-sex marriage, and we had posted about it, saying "hey, this dude has shit beliefs, be aware before you give him money?"

Not in the Steam thread, no. If I really felt strongly enough I might make a gst with a list of game developers that I thought were "shitlords" not worthy of my dollar or whatever, but the only developer I refuse to give money to is Randy Pitchford and we all already know why.
    Stolls wrote: »
    this one person in particular fucked a shoe and posted the results on Twitter

I have that DVD...

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I remember Encased catching some interest when it was first revealed but seems to have completely fallen off everybody's radar.

Seems to be a pretty neat Fallout inspired scifi CRPG. Comes out on the 7th so bad timing with the new Pathfinder game that just came out but I'm looking forward to diving in tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/thvJ3SEffv8

https://youtu.be/keYTKLhhL4s

I really enjoyed playing Encased when it first came out, and was just the starting area. It was bare bones, and mechanically rough, but it was definitely nteresting. It has the same jank feel as Atom RPG, building an iteration on the old isometric Fallouts. I keep forgetting it's out tomorrow, but must go give it a look!

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I think it's worth noting that the developers of Chivalry 2 have come out and said "We do not agree with the CEO of Tripwire or his silly opinions". Tripwire are the publishers of Chivalry 2, but they did not actually make the game and so it will be interesting to see if they maintain that relationship or not.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited September 2021
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Ayy, Tripwire is no longer on the shitlist. That was quick, too. I imagine about as fast as it could take to unseat a CEO.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Woo I don't have to feel bad about playing Maneater now.

There had to be metrics from steam showing how bad that situation was getting.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I know there's a legal/semantical reason for it, but I wish it wasn't being called "stepping down." Like no we fired their ass for being a twit.

steam_sig.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    And a good outcome was had.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    There had to be metrics from steam showing how bad that situation was getting.

Yeah, I imagine the blowback had to be pretty enormous to have the president step down on a holiday while at PAX.

Pretty stupid grenade to have jumped on in the first place.

s7Imn5J.png
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    If you needed an emergency appendectomy today it would have taken longer to get you in an ER than this took. I just assumed we'd get the boilerplate not-apology tomorrow at the earliest, maybe if it didn't go away a mandatory sensitivity seminar around Thursday afternoon, actual heads rolling usually takes a few weeks of solid unbroken high trending controversy.

Hevach on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    I know there's a legal/semantical reason for it, but I wish it wasn't being called "stepping down." Like no we fired their ass for being a twit.

"Spending more time with his opinions."

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    This is all just proving his apparent reason for speaking out in the first place. Hope he found it worth it.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Wish steam would stop showing me ads for cantana when the demo isnt even out

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    This is all just proving his apparent reason for speaking out in the first place. Hope he found it worth it.

No reason to shed any tears for someone who decided to build a cross and nail themselves to it.

Xeddicus wrote: »

No reason to shed any tears for someone who decided to build a cross and nail themselves to it.

49% of the United States refers to themselves as "pro life", compared to 46% that refers to themselves as "pro choice". Regardless of anyone's personal views on the matter I don't think getting someone fired over their opinions (a majority opinion, even) is a moral victory.

I know that the PA forums can lean pretty hard left and have a tendency to echo, but its important to remember that they do not always represent a real world distribution of opinion.

Opinions are things like "I like pizza" or "I don't like movies."

Saying "good, fuck the women and teenage girls of Texas, they can stay pregnant even if they don't want to" is way beyond just an opinion... Especially coming from a rich guy who likely won't ever endure the pain of that situation.

It's not a simple thing, and if you're gonna comment on something having to do with women's bodies and the fucked legislation around the issue, you better be ready for the blowback. I don't give a flying fuck is half of Americans are shitbirds, if I find out someone feels that way I'm done with them. I used to live in Texas and knew women who had to get abortions, it was miserable before they got to this point. You're taking a painful situation and making it even more fucked for them. This isn't opinions, this a war on women's autonomy over themselves. He and everyone else can take a fucking hike.

edited September 2021
    The vast majority of the world is not the US and acceptance of abortion is over 50% in many other countries. Game development often has to deal with international relationships, which aren’t often in line with what America thinks are issues (EG Gun ownership). Also I think a lot of the world looks at a gestapo like law like this and thinks “this sure is a dumb idea”, which it is.

Also I feel he has probably been forced into this decision by other development houses refusing to work with them than public pressure.

Not being able to make games or support those you’ve published is a big problem.

Aegeri on

Saying "good, fuck the women and teenage girls of Texas, they can stay pregnant even if they don't want to" is way beyond just an opinion...

Unless he is responsible for writing legislation on the matter it is just an opinion.

Forced pregnancies often result in suicide so not only the baby dies, the mother too. Prolifers won't acknowledge that though, they only care about their agenda. Oh, boo hoo some asshole lost his job because he said dumb shit on twitter. Meanwhile people's actual lives are being destroyed by this legislation, I'm sure a single mother is gonna have a way harder time with employment than Richie McTrustfund. Classic people crying about "cancel culture" when they're the ones waging a culture war and crying that they experience any consequences for their extremist views.

Saying "good, fuck the women and teenage girls of Texas, they can stay pregnant even if they don't want to" is way beyond just an opinion...

Unless he is responsible for writing legislation on the matter it is just an opinion.

That's blatantly not true. He can donate to politicians that further that agenda! He's literally using his platform on Twitter to further the ideas! Stop acting like he exists in a void?

Classic people crying about "cancel culture" when they're the ones waging a culture war and crying that they experience any consequences for their extremist views.

Half the country has the same view. Regardless of how morally just his views are (or aren't!), they are not extremist.

Classic people crying about "cancel culture" when they're the ones waging a culture war and crying that they experience any consequences for their extremist views.

Half the country has the same view. Regardless of how morally just his views are (or aren't!), they are not extremist.
    Definition of extremist-
    a person who holds extreme or fanatical political or religious views, especially one who resorts to or advocates extreme action.

They literally have a hotline to report people getting abortions. That's about an extreme measure as I can imagine. They deputized the entire state to sue private individuals for a medical procedure.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

"I think abortion is bad" is not necessarily extremist.
    "I think it's okay to force rape/incest victims to carry to term with zero exceptions and to put out bounties on women and girls" is pretty fucking extremist.

There is zero chance that half the country is on board with the latter statement.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    edited September 2021

Definition of extremist-
    a person who holds extreme or fanatical political or religious views, especially one who resorts to or advocates extreme action.

They literally have a hotline to report people getting abortions. That's about an extreme measure as I can imagine. They deputized the entire state to sue private individuals for a medical procedure.

When the (slim) majority of the country has the same view, that view is not "extremist", it is mainstream. Just because something is mainstream, or even popular, doesn't automatically make it morally just, but just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's an "extremist view". I understand that it is a remarkably polarizing topic and that is why you are having difficulty with it, but if you want to continue to argue semantics make a different thread and we can do it there.

SmokeStacks on
    And then they made it so whoever is accused has to pay the costs in court. It’s beyond dumb legislation and is rife for abuse - such as adding additional pain to those who had a miscarriage but are maliciously accused of aborting it.

10k is 10k after all and you don’t pay the costs or emotional damage in court.

Definition of extremist-

When the (slim) majority of the country has the same view, that view is not "extremist", it is mainstream. Just because something is mainstream, or even popular, doesn't automatically make it morally just, but just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's an "extremist view". I understand that it is a remarkably polarizing topic and that is why you are having difficulty with it, but if you want to continue to argue semantics make a different thread and we can do it there.

It doesn't matter how many extremists there are, they're just extremists in larger numbers. Again it's a nuanced problem and not everyone who is pro-life thinks abortions should be unavailable. Many people hate abortions but see them as something society needs because the alternative is beyond cruel.

You're under the impression I don't get how bad the US is, I'm under the impression you think those statistics mean we shouldn't hold anyone accountable for their actions because it's somehow a waste of time.

I'm under the impression you think those statistics mean we shouldn't hold anyone accountable for their actions because it's somehow a waste of time.

I was under the impression that this was a thread about Steam and the games it sells and not a dumping ground for stupid political tweets from game developers.

I'm under the impression you think those statistics mean we shouldn't hold anyone accountable for their actions because it's somehow a waste of time.

I was under the impression that this was a thread about Steam and the games it sells and not a dumping ground for stupid political tweets from game developers.

*Checks* huh... they sell games on steam right? Turns out customers like to be informed on where their money goes.

If Gabe Newell came out tomorrow and said the same thing, I'd uninstall steam so fast my computer catches fire

And then come here to post angrily about it

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

You are under no obligation to continue the conversation.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Why this hill? Why now? Why die here? For this?

Weird.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    *Checks* huh... they sell games on steam right? Turns out customers like to be informed on where their money goes.

I must have missed where you made a point to inform everyone in the gog/Xbox/Playstation threads.

I must have missed where you made a point to inform everyone in the gog/Xbox/Playstation threads.

Ah good point, be right back

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Weird.

It's kinda Stacks's thing, to object to any conversation along these lines.

Elvenshae wrote: »

Weird.

It's kinda Stacks's thing, to object to any conversation along these lines.

I have this wild desire to see a thread where people can talk about videogames not get sucked into dumb politics and people circlejerking because we good, they bad, hurf durf.

As an aside, describing a conversation as a "hill to die on" is a bit overdramatic, don't you think?

This discussion has been closed.