As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Nips wrote: »
    This is why battleforce needs a new rule printing. Making combined arms RCTs is a super fun process mapping out different commands, logistics and support units... The whole kit and kabang. Mechs are fun and all, but it's even more fun making them be used more as detachments to augment strength for other companies, battalions or command structures.

Almost want to get the new ilClan book or the sole purpose of pouring over the combat operation overview. This delicious NATO style units, maps and arrows all over the map. Yum!

Funny you mention Battleforce, they're literally in the process of updating and revising it for a new release of Interstellar Operations.

"Soon"

ive heard slight rustlings, but im not holding my breath.

They've been redoing all the Core Rule books in order. They just, just released the redone Campaign Operations so Interstellar would be the next and final.

edit- Correction, I guess they're not doing it in order, but still!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »
    Hearing rumors that Catalyst had an Annihilator mini at PAX.

I'm also hearing rumours over at the official forums that a Wolf's Dragoon pack might be in the works.

Which...crazy coincidence there.

Wolf's Dragoons brought the following to the IS (sometimes back to it)

If I were a betting man, I'd say a pack of Firefly/Hoplite/Gallowglas/Annihilator would make for a good set. I'd easily see the Flea in the Light slot instead though, just out of popularity.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Kinda feeling the Imp over the Gallowglas but I’m thinking it’ll be close to to that

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Potentially, we get two WD lance packs, and only two mechs get left out (since the Marauder II's in one of the kickstarter IS packs, and the Highlander IIC will almost certainly be in a future Clan pack, if anything). But yeah, they usually try to spread out the weight classes in each pack, so I'd be surprised if we got both the Annie and the Imp in one box.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited September 2021

I'm also hearing rumours over at the official forums that a Wolf's Dragoon pack might be in the works.

If I were a betting man, I'd say a pack of Firefly/Hoplite/Gallowglas/Annihilator would make for a good set. I'd easily see the Flea in the Light slot instead though, just out of popularity.

Flea would be my guess since it is so popular.

Not just popular, but so ubiquitous to the Capellan Confederation that I legit forgot it was a Mech the Wolf's Dragoons (re)introduced.

Axen on
    edited September 2021
    Axen wrote: »

Flea would be my guess since it is so popular.

Not just popular, but so ubiquitous to the Capellan Confederation that I legit forgot it was a Mech the Wolf's Dragoons (re)introduced.

There's the rub, eh? In the wild world where we end up getting a cycle of faction packs, where else but the CapCon pack would you put a Flea? Or, contrariwise, what Light would you put in a CapCon lance otherwise?

Another reason for a Firefly: the current sculpt is bad. The Flea has a newer sculpt that is good!

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    edited September 2021
    I was about to say Raven, but that is a part of the starter box. I don't know if they'd be willing to double up like that. I could see people being maybe a bit annoyed. Though it honestly wouldn't bother me at all.

Though I think a better idea might be to sell the two Starter Box lances as their own separate Force Packs. For people who want more of the plastic minis, but don't want to have to rebuy the starter set.

edit- DAMMIT ALL! I am always getting the Raven and Locust confused!

Okay, Raven for Capellan force pack!

Axen on
    edited September 2021
    Ok, probably the last round of Operation Frantically Build All The Things before a white, purple, and orange dropship launches reinforcements to my location (Tomorrow! Supposedly!). Knocking onsie-twosie things off my list!

86FC7p8h.jpg

Fire Moth (Alt. B?), Fire Falcon (Prime), Ice Ferret (Alt. F). All older sculpts, all bought on a crazy knee-jerk whim when they showed up in a discount eBay listing and I desperately needed a F.Falcon for my collection all of a sudden. This was probably retail therapy as I was waiting for Wave 2. It was late at night, who knows.

Seriously though, what variant does that old Moth sculpt represent? I honestly don't think it represents any canon variant. It has paired barrels on the top of each forearm, so...what?

Nips on
    edited September 2021
    As far as I know (and have been able to discover), the only version of the Fire Moth officially produced was labeled as being the Prime.

ref: https://www.ironwindmetals.com/index.php/product-listing/product/battletech-ar20-612/category_pathway-2

Which you can probably blame the mismatched weapon barrels on the drawing of the original Fire Moth:

4t6ijq1ooxp1.png

Nobody on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Seriously though, what variant does that old Moth sculpt represent? I honestly don't think it represents any canon variant. It has paired barrels on the top of each forearm, so...what?

I think you're right about it being a B, if you assume that two of the barrels are lasers and two are machine guns.
    A close combat configuration, the Fire Moth B replaces the ER Medium Lasers with Medium Pulse Lasers. Dual Machine Guns easily dispose of any infantry the 'Mech may encounter, and an A-Pod secures the 'Mech's legs against any that manage to close in. BV (1.0) = 840[2], BV (2.0) = 922[3], 639[9]

But then, how often does classic Battletech art match the actual tech specs 100%?
    I remember reading in some old tech manual or something that some of the things that look like guns may actually be ports for coolant or something.

edited September 2021
    So IWM has the original Ral Partha sculpt, AR20-612, with the arms like in the original TRO 3050 art above. They also have a resculpt based on TRO 3050 Upgrades, catalog number 20-373, which more accurately reflects the Prime loadout.

So it's weird to me that the original 612 sculpt didn't get a canon variant down the line anywhere, to make sense of the sculpt that's still kept available.

I might have to sit down and figure out what paired guns might work on the arms once you strip the Prime armaments off, if it's not supposed to be the B, just to let my brain rest from this niggling detail.

God, that swirly bit with the circle on the right torso in the TRO art you posted is probably supposed to be a launcher of some kind; a lot of the old RO sculpts had that motif for launchers. Gah.

Nips on
    You could probably run it as a B, D (just gotta figure out how you want to represent the 5th ERML), or a G (virtually no work needed, but it's a Dark Age variant so...)

Oooh, G is niiice, but the 'Mech's slated for a Fire Mandrill star, so that's....not strictly gonna be right with the timeline. Maybe if I move some units around...

I've been taking stock of my new Clan mechs and trying to figure out what Clan I want to run them under. After doing a bit of surface research, it looks like the most common Clan is a tie between Diamond Shark/Sea Fox and Smoke Jaguars.

Mechs in question:
    Adder
    Crossbow
    Dire Wolf
    Ebon Jaguar
    Executioner
    Grendel
    Hunchback IIC
    Huntsman
    Ice Ferret
    Kingfisher
    Marauder IIC
    Mist Lynx
    Nova
    Stone Rhino
    Supernova
    2xTimber Wolf
    Turkina
    Viper
    Warhammer IIC

Smoke Jaguars is very tempting because my IS mechs are going to be painted in Kurita colors, so it works in a "most likely opponent" sense, however a few mechs (mainly the Timber Wolves and Turkina) make this exceptionally unlikely, so I'm probably going to be researching Diamond Shark colors (especially color schemes that'd work with reconstituted Sea Fox) as they'd be the most likely to travel between the other Clans and picking up the rare mech in trade (and occasionally as isorla).

Secondary choice would probably be Goliath Scorpion since they seem to have picked up more than a few manufacturing lines, but they aren't in a good position to really get any of the rarer mechs.

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I've been taking stock of my new Clan mechs and trying to figure out what Clan I want to run them under. After doing a bit of surface research, it looks like the most common Clan is a tie between Diamond Shark/Sea Fox and Smoke Jaguars.

Mechs in question:
    Adder
    Crossbow
    Dire Wolf
    Ebon Jaguar
    Executioner
    Grendel
    Hunchback IIC
    Huntsman
    Ice Ferret
    Kingfisher
    Marauder IIC
    Mist Lynx
    Nova
    Stone Rhino
    Supernova
    2xTimber Wolf
    Turkina
    Viper
    Warhammer IIC

Smoke Jaguars is very tempting because my IS mechs are going to be painted in Kurita colors, so it works in a "most likely opponent" sense, however a few mechs (mainly the Timber Wolves and Turkina) make this exceptionally unlikely, so I'm probably going to be researching Diamond Shark colors (especially color schemes that'd work with reconstituted Sea Fox) as they'd be the most likely to travel between the other Clans and picking up the rare mech in trade (and occasionally as isorla).

Secondary choice would probably be Goliath Scorpion since they seem to have picked up more than a few manufacturing lines, but they aren't in a good position to really get any of the rarer mechs.

Neither of those would make me raise an eyebrow for the Jags. The Timber Wolf is mostly associated with the Wolves, sure, but it's also over a century old at the time of the invasion, and every Clan had a few. The Turkina was a lot newer, but the Master Unit List explicitly says it was available to the Smoke Jaguars. Maybe a bit of Crusader Clan solidarity? Plus the Falcons had some territory on the main Jaguar world, Huntress.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Last night I fell down a massive hole looking at Z scale terrain stuff. I really need a friend with a 3D printer.

What is this I don't even.

Mechs in question:
    Adder
    Crossbow
    Dire Wolf
    Ebon Jaguar
    Executioner
    Grendel
    Hunchback IIC
    Huntsman
    Ice Ferret
    Kingfisher
    Marauder IIC
    Mist Lynx
    Nova
    Stone Rhino
    Supernova
    2xTimber Wolf
    Turkina
    Viper
    Warhammer IIC

Neither of those would make me raise an eyebrow for the Jags. The Timber Wolf is mostly associated with the Wolves, sure, but it's also over a century old at the time of the invasion, and every Clan had a few. The Turkina was a lot newer, but the Master Unit List explicitly says it was available to the Smoke Jaguars. Maybe a bit of Crusader Clan solidarity? Plus the Falcons had some territory on the main Jaguar world, Huntress.

Hmm, lemme look at color schemes for Jaguars, I have a feeling they’d be pretty similar to the Ryuken though (shades of gray with some color highlights)

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Last night I fell down a massive hole looking at Z scale terrain stuff. I really need a friend with a 3D printer.

Train stuff is legit the best terrain making stuff for hobbies out there.

kx3klFE.png
    edited September 2021
    While the scale is technically not correct I am of the opinion that Mechs alongside Z-scale buildings looks “right”.

Z-scale is 1:220
    Old IWM minis are 1:285
    New IWM and Plastic minis are 1:265

Outlands Models is a 3D printed brand (can get off Amazon) that has a nice selection for a decent price. They even have a fair number of destroyed buildings to. I haven’t bought any yet but I am interested.

Axen on
    edited September 2021
    I need to find the pictures again, but my FIL has a Z scale train board that I took some pictures of with the AGOAC mechs on it.

May need to update with a running IS vs Clan battle….

Nobody on
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    While the scale is technically not correct I am of the opinion that Mechs alongside Z-scale buildings looks “right”.

Z-scale is 1:220
    Old IWM minis are 1:285
    New IWM and Plastic minis are 1:265

Outlands Models is a 3D printed brand (can get off Amazon) that has a nice selection for a decent price. They even have a fair number of destroyed buildings to. I haven’t bought any yet but I am interested.

Z scale looks right because it works out to be like 6.5mm. BattleTech is 6mm. So thats 1:220 vs 1:285. Which seems large, but when things are tiny, its kinda hard to tell.

kx3klFE.png

Train stuff is legit the best terrain making stuff for hobbies out there.

The problem is that Z scale is just so rare. But I really don't want to use any of the others and downplay the size of mechs. The mech minis are already scaled oddly enough to each other, I like seeing them as gigantic, stompy robots.

edited September 2021
    My FIL had to deal with a lot of smaller resellers to build his table.

I do know that Amazon carries quite a few buildings at this point (“Z scale buildings” should get you there), but shipping will be a good chunk of what you’ll pay.

Edit: looks like a good amount of them are 3D print on demand, hrm

Nobody on
    Yeah I surfed all of Amazon. At the prices you might pay for Amazon z scale 3D printers you might honestly think about picking up your own 3D printer. Spent a good bit of time also looking into competitive railroad design in Z scale which also confirmed that basic idea: Z scale is largely about building your own custom stuff.

If you do 3D print stuff a handy metric to keep in mind is that an Atlas is roughly 3 stories tall. So you can use that as kind of a yardstick of sorts.

I think the assaults might be the worst to plan around tbh. Or maybe they're the only ones at the right scale and the lights are the most wrong? Planning to just standardize terrain to Z scale so that the terrain scales to itself, and then the mechs just kinda do what they're going to do.

Also, does anyone have any sort of unit planner tool? I want to organize my stars to finalize a trade/buy list.

It's here! It's here!

OMFG those sculpts are sooo good!

*feints*

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    It's here! It's here!

*feints*

Nips, you need to retire to have enough time between your backlog for painting and the VR MW5.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    edited September 2021
    Betsuni wrote: »
    It's here! It's here!

*feints*

Nips, you need to retire to have enough time between your backlog for painting and the VR MW5.

The box arrived just in time for my daughter to start preschool this week.

That's an extra 2-4 hours of hobby time a week! Maybe! 🤣

[Edit] God, looking through these sculpts, I just want to side-by-side all of them with their original sculpts.

Nips on
    I hope they don't realize that the salvage box system would basically connect a hose from my wallet to their account.

What did you get, Nips? I wanna know dem blind boxes.

edited September 2021
    Ah, my salvage came in Wave 1.

It was like...Ice Ferret, Stormcrow, Timber Wolf, Mist Lynx I believe.

Almost landed a whole Light Scout Star, which put some wrenches in my unit planning.

[Edit] OMFG THE AMS ON THE HUNTSMAN IS LIKE THE CUTEST EFFING THING!

Nips on
    Ahhh, ok. I got one with each, so the Legendary Archer and then the Shilone fighter this time which really surprised me.

edited September 2021
    Maaaan, the missile bays and doors on the Linebacker came out so fucking clean. Goddamn.

And the Black Lanner is hyper cute! Bit of mis-molding on the LT launcher though, which'll be tricky to clean up.

Yes, this has now become a Nips Reacts To Plastic Robots Thread. Sorry Not Sorry!

[Edit] Wow, the Warhawk got proper swole, so damn chunky. It reminds me a lot of the new Tomahawk II sculpt with its legs and the bulk of its torso.

Nips on
    edited September 2021
    Linebacker was my first "properly" painted mech, and I was so damn proud of it. I love the new model so much.

My first ever was a Locust and I need to actually pick one up in plastic just for memories.

Darkewolfe on
    The one thing that kills me most on these solid sculpts is the fixed nature of them. If I want to have a full star of a single mech, I'm probably going to be chopping some up and trying to get more diverse poses.

I think the assaults might be the worst to plan around tbh. Or maybe they're the only ones at the right scale and the lights are the most wrong? Planning to just standardize terrain to Z scale so that the terrain scales to itself, and then the mechs just kinda do what they're going to do.

Also, does anyone have any sort of unit planner tool? I want to organize my stars to finalize a trade/buy list.

The Atlas is the only Mech (AFAIK) that we have a reasonable idea on the exact-ish height.

But only because the fluff says something about how BattleMechs are war machines ranging in height from 12 to 16 meters tall. Followed by the fluff that says the Atlas was the tallest Mech (at the time anyway).

So it’s the closest we got to a point of reference.

But yeah all the mechs are all over the place for scale.

edited September 2021
    The one thing that kills me most on these solid sculpts is the fixed nature of them. If I want to have a full star of a single mech, I'm probably going to be chopping some up and trying to get more diverse poses.

I'm super excited to take my few dupes, chop 'em up, CAD sculpt and print some parts, and go ham making some alt versions. I've been having a lot of fun doing this on the old plastics.

Nips on
    edited September 2021
    So, Pack Hunter. I think we were all mostly agreed that the new art was at least a little out there. So I'm looking at the one from my pack, and I'm like Woof, You Ugly.

Then I stared at it some more.

Something's off, the stance isn't right, it's got a weird lean...

...the whole top half of the 'mech is on backwards. LOL. No wonder my fig looks weird!

So since I'm gonna have to fix that, I think this one will be Patient #1 for a repose.

Nips on
    edited September 2021
    I missed the ad hoc clan star and therefore missed the Pack Hunter. I deeply regret not getting that, plus I'd have gotten a Kodiak. I don't love the model but you can't have a wolf in exile touman without it.

Darkewolfe on
    edited September 2021
    I mean, look at this beauty:

FQa9bLAh.jpg

So damn good!

[Edit] Now I've got the F.Falcon next to an AGoAC Locust, and I'm thinking the F.Falcon could've been a smidge bigger. Still, gorgeous.

[Edit 2] OMFG, the new Howler model is impeccable. So. Fucking. Good.

And the Kodiak is like, so much Peak Assault Mech I just can't even. All the new Assaults are **chef's kiss**. I mean, all of the sculpts are amazing, but holding any of the Assaults in hand they're just on another level.

Nips on