As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] F-Zero PX II - Race Finale: The New Champion of F-Zero PX is...

• Options
    MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    Welp. I don't regret voting to 38th. I gave my reasoning. Anyone who thought ahava could be Crimson is a silly goose. Sucks that 38th couldn’t be convinced to lay off, as I would have switched to someone else if they had, but they were insistent so I had to believe they were working against the village.

Can’t say I’m really surprised ahava got ‘merced. By they way she was talking though, I think she’s actually relieved, lol.

Current list of personal suspects in order of overall Standings (I am not a seer or otherwise an authority):

SLyM[/color] should be dead, or at least way lower in the rankings by now, yet they're not. Has avoided multiple bandwagons. I really think we need to vote them off.

3cl1ps3 – mainly posting RP silliness, but not otherwise meaningfully contributing to village discussions. Clearly paying attention to the race, but doesn’t seem to care enough about the rest of the players to contribute. Also, their name is Eclipse! I mean come on, if MrBlarney was feeling cheeky and wanted to fudge the die rolls for the sake of his theme, 3cl1ps3 would be who he would do it for :D

Lucedes – similar to 3cl1ps3, very low-profile in the thread, not contributing to the discussion a whole lot, but obviously doing well in the race, so they’re clearly paying attention.

Endless_Serpents – a lot of people I’ve been talking to are suspicious of them, but it’s generally a gut feeling and overall nervousness about not being able to get a read on them, but they’re doing well in the race so could be a threat. Also, I attacked them three times last night, and I know I wasn’t alone, yet they’re still sitting pretty

Cythraul was third on 38th vote which would be a good move by a Mafia to get a bandwagon started on someone they know is not them. Plus, Ahava suspected them as well

Mamawolf for this quote, immediately after I cast the tie-breaking vote for discrider:
    MamaWolf wrote: »
    Not trying to defend, but doesn't Disc always post random stuff/vote that doesn't make sense until later in game when we look back and go "oh yeah"

Strikes me as a Mafia trying to steer people away from her teammate before a bandwagon starts.

The following players I still suspect to a degree, but they’re lower in the rankings and are unlikely to win:

JaysonFour – Really under the radar. Sneaky sneaky

JusticeforPluto – still suspicious for the last minute simulvote with Locus, even though Locus ended up village – also worth noting that I’m pretty sure they have now crashed twice and are still alive somehow

Auralynx – Gizzy tried to vote them off the day she died, but no one listened; also was the 4th to vote on 38th

Virgil_Leads_You – feels personal. Has done nothing but vote for me. Doesn’t participate in village discussion. If they’re a villager, they’re not a helpful one, seems to be playing the game for themselves.

Players that I haven’t included here are either cool, or not really worth worrying about :-p

I agree with your reasoning for SLyM

As for my post, I wasn't trying to steer people away really as to point out an observation. I am not Crimson because if I was I would have not agreed with you and pushed harder to defend Disc other than just what I posted. Also would have been happy to vote for 38th or you last night. I stayed on my vote for Pluto and I have not voted for a confirmed villager.

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    romantic undead, I think your opinion on how dead I should be is clouded by the fact that you attacked me for one race.

you're literally the only one who ever has.

I have been racing very inconsistently, bouncing between very low (particularly in qualifying) and very high, which is basically exactly what we need to win. Will I do well or will I do badly? I don't know, and critically the mafia doesn't either. If we force them to murder me or waste attacks when I was gonna have a bad race anyway, great. If they don't murder me, I might crash and burn as well. Or maybe I do well and win it for the village? We've had multiple discussions about how it's important to keep things unpredictable over the course of the game, and the last day is where that's most important.

SLyM, it's not a secret why I think you're suspicious, your score is the highest overall, you've placed first for three races now, I believe, which is the opposite of inconsistent, yet the Mafia doesn't seem to think you're a threat to their win condition. It would be great if you're village, of course, but the fact that the Mafia took out Ahava yesterday, who was in first place, but hasn't seen fit to see you as a threat, is weird to me. Also weird is that a lot of people besides me have tried to vote you out, but I'm the only person who has attacked you? What the what? I simply assumed that you being overall consistently high would make you a prime target; I'm very surprised to learn that apparently no one else agrees with me on that.

It feels to me like a lot of people are opting not to engage with the Rival mechanics, which I don't really understand. Is everyone just hoping to win this thing by placing high and not worrying about who is or isn't Crimson? I suspect that MrBlarney gave us the Rival mechanic to make up for the fact that the village doesn't appear to have a vig, but I guess a bunch of folks are too scared to lose standing by attacking a rival to engage with that mechanic, and are more interested in just racing to win, and have really just checked out of paying attention to voting and working to eliminate suspicious players, so maybe I'm being wrongheaded about this. Basically it feels like everyone is just out for themselves and the whole village v Crimson stuff is being treated as more of a secondary win condition. Guess we'll find out in a couple of days.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    To be clear, ahava wasn't killed just because she was in first

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

Fair, she was also basically a confirmed villager that a bunch of us tried to organize and rally around, while SLyM, if he is village, continues to serve as a useful smokescreen for any other Crimsons that hope to win.

Basically it's like this: If SLyM is Crimson and we don't vote him out, we may just be handing Crimson the victory. However, if SLyM is village, then Crimson will almost certainly kill him today as he would be the biggest threat to a Crimson win.

Another thing I'll say is, since this is the last day, killing SLyM would also potentially make for a much close race, which could be fun to do just for the chaos of it all.

As for advice to anyone who can't win today - you might as well set a rival; you might not be able to win, but you can at least try to keep someone else from winning!

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Fair, she was also basically a confirmed villager that a bunch of us tried to organize and rally around, while SLyM, if he is village, continues to serve as a useful smokescreen for any other Crimsons that hope to win.

Basically it's like this: If SLyM is Crimson and we don't vote him out, we may just be handing Crimson the victory. However, if SLyM is village, then Crimson will almost certainly kill him today as he would be the biggest threat to a Crimson win.

Another thing I'll say is, since this is the last day, killing SLyM would also potentially make for a much close race, which could be fun to do just for the chaos of it all.

As for advice to anyone who can't win today - you might as well set a rival; you might not be able to win, but you can at least try to keep someone else from winning!

Your second paragraph applies to literally everyone at the top though right?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options

Your second paragraph applies to literally everyone at the top though right?

You're not wrong, but since we can't kill everyone, we're gonna have to make a choice. If you think SLyM is more likely to lean village and want to leave him alive in the hopes that the mafia leaves him alone and SLyM wins this for us, then ok, who else should we vote for? As far as I'm concerned, the village is in pretty bad shape here, I almost feel like the only shot we have is in causing some chaos and seeing where the dice lay. If you've got a better idea let's hear it!

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Race 6 Qualifying

Electricity is in the air, and qualifying is in the books for the final race of the F-Zero PX season. With most of the championship leaders starting towards the back of the pack, it's anyone's guess as to how the final results will shake out. Richard Hotroddington IV has had a quiet presence through the entire championship, but they've taken pole position, posting a dangerous time through the final high-speed section of the course. They have an outside chance of taking home the championship, but it'll take a lot of luck on top of skill. Second following qualifying is Dick Dastardly, in the Mean Machine. They'll also be hoping for some luck in order to pull through their hopes for taking home the championship. Rounding out the top three is Dr. K, who put in another solid qualifying performance. While they can't win the overall PX league, a victory will still help them get more future racing opportunities. The stage is set for an exciting final race!

Race 6 Qualifying Grid:
    1st - Machine: Steel Spear / Pilot: Richard 'Hotrod' Hotroddington IV (premium)
    2nd - Machine: The Mean Machine / Pilot: Dick Dastardly (Cythraul)
    3rd - Machine: Big K / Pilot: Dr. K (Virgil_Leads_You)
    4th - Machine: Now This is Podracing / Pilot: Anakin Skywalker (TehSpectre)
    5th - Machine: Metal Tick 9001 / Pilot: Sparky Dave (3cl1ps3)
    6th - Machine: The Undying Machine / Pilot: Dr. Charles Acula (Lucedes)
    7th - Machine: Shadow Pouncer / Pilot: Lula Luna (MamaWolf)
    8th - Machine: Blue Streak / Pilot: Toto (kime)
    9th - Machine: Deadman Switch / Pilot: Bomb Zimmerman (Auralynx)
    10th - Machine: Double Indemnity / Pilot: Lancaster Honshu (Endless_Serpents)
    11th - Machine: Like They Used To / Pilot: Skullo-X (Romantic Undead)
    12th - Machine: The Green Ghost / Pilot: Frederick Clemenceau (JusticeForPluto)
    13th - Machine: The Tequila Sunset / Pilot: Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau (SLyM)
    14th - Machine: White Breeze / Pilot: Gust Greenver (JaysonFour)

Race 6 will be run in 12 hours time, so make sure you have your tuning (and optionally, a rival) in by then!

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    premium, Cythraul, Virgil and Spectre at the head of the pack, truly, there has never been a more trustworthy squad.

SPARKY DAVE could go either way. A lack of contribution to the ongoing debates could mean something, or not.

I think people are lying if they have any real opinions about anyone below them.

This is an ideal group to vote for, because at least one of them is Crimson.

• Options
    Well, lying is a bit strong, but there’s no tells I can see for the rest of the pack.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I will fully own and apologize for my inactivity. In retrospect, I frankly shouldn't have signed up for this game with the timing overlapping with my sister's wedding (which my wife and I were helping to plan and run on the day). The time commitment of that + the exhaustion that followed basically made me useless this game and that sucks.

Here are the scenarios as I see them right now:

-SLyM and I are both village and in contention to win; one of us needs to survive. If we vote one of us out, the mafia kill the other one and we're in trouble since now two leading villagers are dead.

-SLyM is mafia and in contention to win and the mafia will just kill me tonight regardless of if we vote SLyM out since I'm in 2nd. If we don't vote SLyM out, good chance the mafia win unless someone pulls off an upset.

In any case I don't see myself surviving to the actual race unfortunately unless SLyM is village and doesn't eat the vote. I don't have a better target to offer, though.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Hmm, should have refreshed first. SLyM is very far back, we could keep them from winning by just having folks set them as a rival and find another vote target.

• Options
    premium, Cythraul, Virgil and Spectre at the head of the pack, truly, there has never been a more trustworthy squad.

SPARKY DAVE could go either way. A lack of contribution to the ongoing debates could mean something, or not.

I think people are lying if they have any real opinions about anyone below them.

This is an ideal group to vote for, because at least one of them is Crimson.

premium, Virgil and Spectre have no chance of winning. Even if they are Crimson, they are not a threat. Cythraul, on the other hand, I could be convinced to switch my vote to if everyone else disagrees with me on SLyM

• Options
    Scratch that, Spectre could potentially win, but I don't currently suspect him

• Options

Any reason?

• Options

Any reason?

Mainly because he, Ahava and I were instrumental in getting discrider voted out

• Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Do people..... do people not trust me???
    8u7nzf2svxjq.gif

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options

Any reason?

Mainly because he, Ahava and I were instrumental in getting discrider voted out

But what if they did the classic bus throw manoeuvre?

• Options
    edited September 2021

Don’t trust anyone!

I’m not going to look for that post but you get the idea.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    JPants absolutely ruined the village last game by being instrumental in voting out two mafia with very early votes. JUST SAYIN'

i'm not traumatized by it or anything

• Options
    Allright then, don't trust anyone, leave it all up to chance. Vote records are pointless, nothing matters, we're all going to die, let's go watch the race.

• Options
    Please don’t be sad @Romantic Undead

• Options
    In a game where voting is optional, there's a hard time limit, and the mafia don't have to outnumber the village to win then unfortunately yeah voting analysis becomes ten times harder than it usually is.

• Options
    Geth roll 1d14

1d14 14 [1d14=14]

• Options
    JaysonFour

• Options
    I just spent the entire weekend arguing with 38th who was trying to convince us that Ahava was a mastermind who threw discrider under the bus in order to win. Guess what, he was wrong, but he was also a villager, so the weekend was wasted over our back and forth. Now we're going to have the same argument about Spectre? I feel like I've been taking all the oxygen out of the game. I pose theories and hypotheses and then the entire thread spends their time telling my why I'm wrong but not offering alternative solutions. Multiple people have now said that we can't trust the voting record. Ok, fine, what is the strategy then? You don't think that Spectre can be trusted, but you're not willing to vote for SLyM who looks like he's about to win. Do you trust SLyM over Spectre? Why? Am I missing something here?

• Options
    That’s a good question I will formulate an answer for after work!

• Options
    Right now I largely think SLyM is a weak vote target because he's so far back in the qualifying grid he can be kept to bottom 3 by folks setting him as a rival, which will make it likely someone else wins.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Let's look at the voting record then.

like this one on day 3
    discrider wrote: »
    Yeah, SLyM also broke the tie away from Green.

And I'm just going to go put another layer of bricks on this thing.

good thing the mafia keeps pushing the bandwagons off me!

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Right now I largely think SLyM is a weak vote target because he's so far back in the qualifying grid he can be kept to bottom 3 by folks setting him as a rival, which will make it likely someone else wins.

Except that he still has the highest total points by a fair margin, meaning he doesn't have to win this race to win overall. Plus, you're trusting the rest of the pack to pile onto him, when he literally just told us that no one has been attacking him all game besides me, so why do you think we can trust anyone to gang up on him now? And, not to repeat myself, but if the vote is unreliable, then what tools does the village have? I've asked this question several times now and no one's come up with an answer.

If you don't want to trust me, and you assume everyone who voted for discrider is secretly mafia who sacrificed their own to look good, where does that leave us? Every man/woman for themselves?

• Options
    MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    I put why I don't trust Spectre a while back. I didn't trust them based on the hard push for Green.

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I'll be honest, I haven't used the rival mechanic. The one race I won/did well in I basically seemed to pulled a Bradbury. Not ramming seems to have been the best option.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Yeah let’s go for it. I’ll explain when I can, I do an intensive job.

TehSpectre is who I will vote for in the following post.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    TehSpectre

• Options
    I also just realized that there are descriptions of the race track that would of helped my tuning.

• Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    *snip* Every man/woman for themselves?

Pretty sure there's only one trophy, bub.

The fact that there's a hilariously slim chance that I can get it pleases me greatly! Nyahahahaaaaa!!!

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    I'll be honest, I haven't used the rival mechanic. The one race I won/did well in I basically seemed to pulled a Bradbury. Not ramming seems to have been the best option.

My point exactly. I've picked a rival every day, and I've basically stayed super low in the qualifiers and barely made up past midway in the races. It seems that if you want to win, setting a rival is counter-intuitive. Not to mention that there have been at least a couple of players so far that have been attacked multiples times, yourself included it seems, and they're still alive, so it seems like setting a rival is really only useful to folks who don't really feel they have a chance to win and just want to act as a spoiler for someone else.

• Options
    Man, it’s gonna be so funny when we reveal only Romantic Undead is village.

• Options
    Cythraul wrote: »
    *snip* Every man/woman for themselves?

Pretty sure there's only one trophy, bub.

The fact that there's a hilariously slim chance that I can get it pleases me greatly! Nyahahahaaaaa!!!

Right, like I said earlier, it seems that for a lot of people, the village/mafia dynamic isn't really important to them.

• Options

My point exactly. I've picked a rival every day, and I've basically stayed super low in the qualifiers and barely made up past midway in the races. It seems that if you want to win, setting a rival is counter-intuitive. Not to mention that there have been at least a couple of players so far that have been attacked multiples times, yourself included it seems, and they're still alive, so it seems like setting a rival is really only useful to folks who don't really feel they have a chance to win and just want to act as a spoiler for someone else.

I mean I took the bottomless pockets perk, so I have unlimited cars. Seeing as I figured lots of people would be ram happy I assume lots of people took that.

• Options
    I mean in this kind of game the vote is pretty much only good for the mafia to remove competition, yes. It's vanishingly unlikely we'd hit all the mafia in a 6 day game so the actual wincon for the village is to keep the mafia from winning the race.