As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] F-Zero PX II - Race Finale: The New Champion of F-Zero PX is...

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    SLyM wrote: »
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    I am truly not mafia, fwiw, so I guess now we see what happens.

If SLyM was village I wish he had spoken up more since he was the village's best hope if so.

What did you want me to say here? That the mafia voted me multiple times? That I would be the village's best hope and the mafia was gonna kill me if I didn't get voted out? That the entire reasoning for my vote was that I simply hadn't died yet?

I said every one of those things!

Photo of SLyM after results:

8iuhjjambk91.png

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Race Finale: The New Champion of F-Zero PX is...

u03opj9lplgy.png

Mr. Zero here, live with F-Zero TV at Lightning's Electric Edge! The final race of the F-Zero PX league is in the books, and we have a new champion to crown. Let's go over the highlights of today's race. First, there was a last-minute withdrawal from the race, when Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau (SLyM) did not show up to take to the track. Even now, after the race, the Tequila Sunset sits in the garage, without a pilot. What could have happened to this title protagonist to have them be absent from the race?

The start of the race saw one final malfunction, from the Metal Tick 9001. Some kind of electrical overload disabled the machine as the lights went green, and it never got off the starting blocks. The machine's pilot, Sparky Dave (3cl1ps3) was rendered unconscious from the shock. That marked the top two point leaders coming into the race out already, and the championship up for grabs.

The action was intense straight from the start. Lula Luna appeared to attempt a pounce onto Dr. Acula's Undying Machine straight out of the gate, but the Shadow Pouncer only found the wall of the track, and an early exit. Anakin Skywalker was hounded by a number of other machines throughout the first lap, and almost got sent off the track himself. While he was able to force his way to the end of the race, that constant attention from the other pilots meant that he was unable to recover that lost ground and finished in seventh.

The top two qualifiers were able to hold positions near the front of the field through the first two laps. But the always tricky Dick Dastardly seemed to get a little too fancy in the latter half of the course, and crashed his Mean Machine at the start of the third lap. Even without other pilots' rivalries, the track itself is still a worthy foe not to be taken lightly. The Steel Spear was able to maintain a strong position through the remainder of the race, and led the entirety of the final lap to take home the race victory. Dr. K finally got the strong finish they were looking for, and took their Big K to second place overall, even after dropping back in the pack in the mid-race.

But third place went to Dr. Charles Acula and his Undying Machine. After his first-lap close call, the doctor was able to focus in, and steadily climb up race positions. On the back of three strong finishes in the latter half of the season, Dr. Acula has done all the work he needed, and will be taking the title of F-Zero PX champion!

And so we're here with the 2578 winner of the F-Zero PX championship! Dr. Acula, would you be able to give us a few thoughts about what racing in F-Zero means to you?
    Ah, the revving of engines, such beautiful music. The symphony of the night.

Such poetic and mysterious words. F-Zero truly is an orchestra of machines, peak racing action across so many of the galaxy's sights. With that, we come to the end of yet another PX season. It's been a competition full of action-packed racing, with many unexpected and amazing performances. What comes next is the long wait and preparation for the next season of F-Zero PX. See you next time!

Race 6 Outcomes:
    1st - Machine: Steel Spear / Pilot: Richard 'Hotrod' Hotroddington IV (premium) - 100 points
    2nd - Machine: Big K / Pilot: Dr. K (Virgil_Leads_You) - 88 points
    3rd - Machine: The Undying Machine / Pilot: Dr. Charles Acula (Lucedes) - 78 points
    4th - Machine: The Green Ghost / Pilot: Frederick Clemenceau (JusticeForPluto) - 68 points
    5th - Machine: Deadman Switch / Pilot: Bomb Zimmerman (Auralynx) - 60 points
    6th - Machine: Blue Streak / Pilot: Toto (kime) - 53 points
    7th - Machine: Now This is Podracing / Pilot: Anakin Skywalker (TehSpectre) - 47 points
    8th - Machine: Double Indemnity / Pilot: Lancaster Honshu (Endless_Serpents) - 42 points
    9th - Machine: White Breeze / Pilot: Gust Greenver (JaysonFour) - 37 points
    10th - Machine: Like They Used To / Pilot: Skullo-X (Romantic Undead) - 32 points

Did not Finish:
    Machine: The Tequila Sunset / Pilot: Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau (SLyM) - 0 points
    Machine: Metal Tick 9001 / Pilot: Sparky Dave (3cl1ps3) - 0 points
    Machine: Shadow Pouncer / Pilot: Lula Luna (MamaWolf) - 0 points
    Machine: The Mean Machine / Pilot: Dick Dastardly (Cythraul) - 0 points

Eliminated Players:
    Machine: The Tequila Sunset / Pilot: Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau (SLyM)

Final Standings after Race 6:
    1st - Machine: The Undying Machine / Pilot: Dr. Charles Acula (Lucedes) - 365 points
    2nd - Machine: Steel Spear / Pilot: Richard 'Hotrod' Hotroddington IV (premium) - 326 points
    3rd - Machine: Now This is Podracing / Pilot: Anakin Skywalker (TehSpectre) - 315 points
    4th - Machine: Double Indemnity / Pilot: Lancaster Honshu (Endless_Serpents) - 307 points
    5th - Metal Tick 9001 / Pilot: Sparky Dave (3cl1ps3) - 305 points
    6th - Machine: The Green Ghost / Pilot: Frederick Clemenceau (JusticeForPluto) - 279 points
    7th - Machine: Like They Used To / Pilot: Skullo-X (Romantic Undead) - 271 points
    8th - Machine: Big K / Pilot: Dr. K (Virgil_Leads_You) - 266 points
    9th - Machine: Deadman Switch / Pilot: Bomb Zimmerman (Auralynx) - 253 points
    10th - Machine: White Breeze / Pilot: Gust Greenver (JaysonFour) - 251 points
    11th - Machine: The Mean Machine / Pilot: Dick Dastardly (Cythraul) - 250 points
    12th - Machine: Shadow Pouncer / Pilot: Lula Luna (MamaWolf) - 224 points
    13th - Machine: Blue Streak / Pilot: Toto (kime) - 214 points

With the Undying Machine / Dr. Charles Acula victory, the Crimson Eclipse has claimed the F-Zero preliminary league championship and game victory!

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Host Spreadsheet

Role PMs
    You are an aspiring F-Zero Pilot!

Like many in the galaxy, you have a dream to be a headliner pilot in the F-Zero Grand Prix, driving for fame and fortune, and the chance to be celebrated as champion all around the galaxy. You've been training long for your opportunity to step up to the main stage, and this year's preliminary-league F-Zero PX tournament is the ultimate chance for you to show you belong among the other pilots in the top league.

Of course, tensions are running high this season, with rumors that the criminal organization Crimson Eclipse won last year's championship, funneling the winnings into their nefarious plans. The Galactic Space Police have once again requested that all be on the look out for suspicious activity, and to make sure that they're well-deterred from their continued scheming. It would not do for the preliminary league to be seen as a funnel for criminals to exploit, after all. If you're not able to take away the trophy at the end of the tournament, then perhaps it's still in your best interest to prevent the Crimson Eclipse from taking it home, if only to preserve the hope for future seasons to go on, and continue your dream of being a future champion.

Win Conditions: Win the Grand Prix by accumulating the highest point total after six races, or barring that, prevent any member of the Crimson Eclipse from achieving the same.

You are also a member of the Crimson Eclipse!

Following Joker's victory in the first F-Zero PX championship, the Crimson Eclipse found themselves rich with prize winnings and the opportunity to expand their reach even further. With an entry into the main F-Zero Grand Prix, there's the opportunity for even more income to fuel the organization's plans. But the galaxy is a large place, and influence doesn't come cheap. Fortunate for the organization, the PX championship has been scheduled for one more year. That's one more chance to get a pilot into the main league for even more race winnings.

Unfortunately, the Galactic Space Police are on even higher alert this time around, not only relying on the pilots to keep tabs on one another, but also inserting their own agents into the mix. However, you've got your own tricks up your sleeves. Do whatever it takes to win without standing out too much, and replicate the success you had last season. Racing is back in session, it's time to get down to business.

Win Conditions: Win the Grand Prix by accumulating the highest point total after six races, or barring that, have one of your teammates achieve the winner's trophy.

The members of the Crimson Eclipse are as follows: Cythraul, discrider, Endless_Serpents, Lucedes, SLyM

As a group, each race you may sabotage one other players' machines, eliminating them from the race. The crash will also take that player out of the championship, regardless of the number of crashes they've previously experienced. You may also specify when this failure will occur, as long as it's before the start of the final lap.

As individuals, each member of the team may take one of the following bonus abilities, in addition to your standard choice of ability.
    • Boosted Start - The pilot has Advantage in the first sector of the race.
    • Heavy Frame - Whenever the pilot is attacked, they lose one fewer place as a result. (Stacks with Reactionary, if taken.)
    • Extra Machine - The pilot has one extra machine for the entire championship.
    • Lateral Booster - The pilot's attacks have a slightly higher (x1.1) chance of causing a crash.
    • G-Flywheel - Whenever the pilot attacks, they ignore any places lost.
    • Enhanced Machine - The pilot may allocate one additional level to any of their machine's stats (May not exceed A-rank).
    Each ability can only be taken once, and is locked to the pilot and machine it is assigned to at the end of the Preseason period. There will be one ability left unassigned.

You are also an agent of the Galactic Space Police!

Last year's F-Zero PX was a disaster for the Galactic Space Police. The Crimson Eclipse took the championship, and there was talk of cancelling the preliminary tournament to prevent that from happening again. But racing fever has prevailed, and demand has required that the PX tournament come back for a second season of racing.

However, the Galactic Space Police is being more proactive about making sure that the Crimson Eclipse do not win, and have hired a couple of pilots to participate in the competition directly, on their behalf -- and you're one of them. While you've been given some additional equipment to try and give you an edge, there is reluctance to give you too much of an edge, so as to maintain the sanctity of the competition. It's important that the rest of the racing field be given a fair chance in winning the championship. If word ever got out that the Galactic Space Police tried to win the competition for themselves, that might be even more of a scandal than the Crimson Eclipse winning! Keep your wits about you, and do your part to protect the galaxy!

Win Conditions: After six races, the winning pilot of the Grand Prix is not a member of the Crimson Eclipse, AND is not yourself or your partner. If you or your partner win, then you will be considered to have lost, but other non-Crimson Eclipse members will still be considered victorious

You are partners with Gizzy / Brody.

As individuals, each of you can take one of the following bonus abilities, in addition to your standard ability.
    • Slipstream Interception - If you are passed by your partner on track, you will gain one place. (If you are the last pilot to be passed, this has no effect on the order.)
    • Scanning Beacon - If you pass your rival, instead of making an attack, you will attach a beacon to them. At the end of the race, you will also receive their action report, not just your own. (This ability cannot be taken with Bloodthirsty, Vindictive, or Brutal.)
    • Momentum Stabilizer - The pilot's attacks have a slightly higher (x1.1) chance of causing a crash. Attacks cost no places to make.
    Each ability can only be taken once, and is locked to the pilot and machine it is assigned to at the end of the Preseason period. There will be one ability left unassigned.

Host Notes
    Well, that certainly was an experimental game. After helping out 38thDoe in the game design for his Mega Man Phalla, and knowing I had some free time lined up towards the end of summer, I had the urge to brush off my Phalla hosting skills and put something together. I wanted to do something that would be quick to put together, so I opted to go for a rerun of a previous game, and F-Zero PX stood out to me when I looked over all of my old designs. The race resolution system I did there was fairly abstract, and I wanted to challenge myself to write something a bit more like an actual simulation of races.

Having gotten more into actual motorsports since the original F-Zero PX, I decided to model each circuit as a series of sectors, run over multiple laps. I used place swapping to simplify the mathematics of player positioning and to make sure that the field didn't get too spread out over the entire race. The more detailed simulation of races made it a lot easier for me to write narrations since I had an actual log to write off of. I think the split between qualifying and race also helped to increase the energy and engagement with the game.

Unfortunately, my commitment to the timeline I set for myself meant that the design got a little bit rushed, and I didn't put nearly as much time into testing the code and game balance as much as I really should have. So yeah, full disclosure, there was a bug in the first three days of race resolution where no Advantages or Disadvantages in race were being resolved as such: both of those updated movement statuses to Median. So that meant that attacks were not nearly as severe and punishing as they should have been for those first three races. But I think that didn't affect things too much, overall. Most of the attention to standings came in the final three races anyways, as the picture for who could be eligible to become champion became clearer.

A bigger issue with the race resolution was probably just how random the rolls were. I wanted to make sure that, after qualifying, that there was still a good amount of variation in possible outcomes, so that those who got unlucky rolls during qualifying could still have a chance to move up the rankings, and that those who got high qualifying positions couldn't just rest on their laurels. I feel like the overall numbers were in the right place in terms of the number of sectors per lap and per race, but I probably could have reduced the base speed parameter to make outcomes a little more predictable. Outcomes should have been more in the players' hands, and less on the whimsy of the random number gods.

That player influence, of course, comes from tuning and rival selections. On the topic of tuning, I set the base speed values such that each level corresponded with about a one place increase in expected value over the course of an entire race. But despite the increased crash multipliers for higher speed, most orders were on High or Max Speed, and anyone balancing Acceleration tended to lose out quite a bit over the race. In retrospect, I probably could have added some additional defensive capabilities to Acceleration tunings. Leaning towards acceleration would help against crashes, but it also wouldn't be much comfort if you ended up towards the back half of the field anyways. Having that multiplier also apply to the places lost in an attack would be one step to make it a more viable option.

As for attacks, I gave them some pretty large buffs over how they were set up in the first F-Zero PX game. Despite the strong cost:benefit ratio for making attacks, I didn't see as much engagement with picking rivals as I expected. This is somewhat ironic, given that Deep Pockets was the most popular player ability taken. I wonder if players were just too uncertain about helping one another out that they just focused on themselves and put it up to luck to set themselves up for victory. Even a small team of two could have a severe effect on another player's standing. This lack of coordinated action from village players let the mafia exert more influence on the game flow than their numbers would normally allow.

Next, I guess I should discuss the mafia faction abilities? Instead of giving each mafia member just an additional machine stat point, I decided to lean into the player ability system and give the group a set of minor abilities to stack on top of their standard player abilities. I briefly toyed with the idea of changing their group ability from the standard unconditional player elimination to two regular knockouts. But I went with the standard kill since I didn't really know how I wanted to report those eliminations in narration or to players, and didn't want to just give too much value to the villagers for free.

Going with the theme of the game as a sequel, and to try and balance out the mafia's power from the first F-Zero PX game, I also added a couple of village-aligned specials with a masoned pair of players, each with a minor bonus power similar to what the mafia players got. The restriction on one of them winning the championship overall was a minor balance to put them into more supportive roles. Making one of the bonus abilities an action seer might have been a mistake, when there really wasn't anything about the mafia ability set that would let action seering give any hard impressions of alignment. It might have given Brody and Gizzy the wrong idea of how to use their roles. I also probably should have come up with a shielding or guarding ability for their bonus ability options, and made their damage bonus ability stronger. That would have made the seer-village-guard core set of village specials a bit more flavorful.

So on the general balance front, the game was probably still mafia-favored, as the first F-Zero PX game was. But I think there wasn't really enough coordination or discussion on the village players' ends either. A lot of the soft networking discussion I saw included mafia members. So the mafia did get a bit more influence on the flow of the game than I originally anticipated, and that effort helped them take a strong control over the game in the last couple of races. It was probably a bit frustrating for the village to not really have good levers to pull to find the mafia in the limited time frame available, but it wasn't meant to be a game to solve completely. The village needed to use what they had available to impede the mafia just enough that their opening for victory in the final race was as small as possible.

But as far as my current philosophy goes, what's important in the end isn't necessarily the balance, but the enjoyment of engaging with the game as an experience. Perhaps the idea of having a game come down to chance, albeit one influenced heavily by player decisions, is a negative one. But I hope that it was still fun for folks to enjoy. It may not have been the smoothest game, but I'm happy I got myself back into game creation and hosting, even temporarily. There are a few other grand ideas for games that I never finished up in my hiatus, and even though the player base isn't quite the same as those older days, it might be worth the effort to try and clean them up for actual play. Hopefully it won't take me another four years to be a primary host on a game, and I hope that you'll be there to participate when that time comes again. Thanks for playing, and see you next time!

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    1d435qb5r4ev.gif

oh no

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    RIP

yeah this was always gonna be dang hard for the village to win unless the mafia all performed terribly in every race. They just needed to pick off the top performer each day to get a couple of their folks into high positions and bingo bango that's the bongo baby. Meanwhile the village can't risk doing the same because if they start murdering high placing villagers, the only chance for the village to win is gone; the vote was basically just a tool for collateral damage in this game because eliminating the mafia wasn't a realistic win condition. c'est la vie, phalla balance (phallance? is that anything?) is fuckin' hard.

Thanks for running @MrBlarney !

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    discrider on
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    If you attacked me tonight this was yooour faaault

jerks

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    JPants wrote: »
    Since game is over and ghosts are talking, I've got a question:

What's the etiquette on ghosts reacting to posts? I felt like I shouldn't do that (despite doing it on a couple posts right after my death that were about my death) but man that was the hardest part of getting voted out early on this one, wanting to react to certain posts.

For the record I came down on "don't agree to substantive posts but awesoming the fluffier posts was probably ok" but wasn't sure so avoided it pretty much entirely.

That's my personal opinion as well

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I had a lot of fun, and not only because I kept winning (somehow).

I definitely felt like people weren't attacking as often as they should have been, the one and only time someone bumped me I tumbled all the way down the rankings, and I assume I only didn't crash because I took the survivor perk.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    All according to keikaku.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I definitely felt like people weren't attacking as often as they should have been, the one and only time someone bumped me I tumbled all the way down the rankings, and I assume I only didn't crash because I took the survivor perk.

The problem with attacking is that it lost you places, and as a vanillager you were heavily incentivized to place as highly as possible to fill the top of the leaderboard with village.

• Options
    Blarney, how lucky was I with survivor

also who attacked me!

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options

The problem with attacking is that it lost you places, and as a vanillager you were heavily incentivized to place as highly as possible to fill the top of the leaderboard with village.

Best build was still B/E/B Body/Boost/Grip Burning Rivalry
    Ignore Boost, get speed through spite.

Also people were disincentivised from attacking by the bug.
    Without people getting disadvantage from being attacked, it was that much easier to recover after being attacked.

Really I think the ideal village strategy was to keep the leaderboard as flat as possible.
    Leaders are either mafia or dead to mafia, so have to keep everyone at roughly the same points, by attacking anyone who is in front.

And then hopefully have enough contenders to the crown that the village can wrap up the series by stifling the mafia's forerunners, and letting someone, anyone, else through.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I gotta be honest, was not a fan of the racing mechanic. To much felt out of my control, especially having to build a car from scratch.

I went with a B body but still managed to crash twice. I guess going for body was pointless? The only races I won/did good in were the ones I was untouched.

I also feel like the maps probably favored one or the other in turning versus speed, or what ever. So there was probably an optimal build from the get go.

Honestly I felt the attack seemed to be good for screwing over people, but the loss of a position made it seem negative. But I never really understood the rules.

Which goes into a minor tangent on the nature of Phalla: I personally prefer KISS games. The wall of text was a lot to take in. The more info you give the players, the higher the chances of suboptimal play. The mafia has the advantage of having a team to work it out and discuss strategywith. Due to the added bonus of the village competing, I feel players may of been reluctant to talk.

It also hurts that most times you run a phalla game, that's it. So the more untested mechanics you have, the more it can go off the rails. Another reason I like more vanilla phalla: it's well tested and prevents blowouts that leave one side feeling sore.

I also don't have a lot of time to sink into these games. Lately I feel I sign up cause I love the idea of these games and want to keep them going, but it also means I usually blunder into my own death like I almost did here.

Overall, a very interesting concept but clearly wasn't for me. And as always thanks to the hosts for hosting.

For the Curious:
    Body: B
    Boost: C
    Speed: D

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Thanks for hosting! GG mafia!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    I went Body D/Boost C/Grip B with Technical Expert and tuned Max Speed each time and outside of the race where two people beat the shit out of me, it seemed to work very well. I was extremely well positioned to win the final race until I got MURDERED

• Options
    Body: D
    Boost: D
    Speed: A

Max Speed in all but 1 race, baby!

Survivor procced in every race saving me from crashes.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    That said, with the action seer, I think Gizzy needed to pull together a kill squad, and then scan to look for people avoiding the nominated targets without informing them.
    Rather than scanning me, checking that I did indeed attack Ani, and thus allowing me to freely attack Austin the day he dies midway through a race to the mafia kill (getting me the sweet advantage (supposedly) for the first lap before he died).

Thanks for hosting MrB!

discrider on
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I assumed with an action seer ability I would be able to see things like “sabotage” or hit a player 6 times when there’s only 3 laps. Easy to sit back and say what I should have done when you had all of the up front info.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    JPants wrote: »
    Since game is over and ghosts are talking, I've got a question:

What's the etiquette on ghosts reacting to posts? I felt like I shouldn't do that (despite doing it on a couple posts right after my death that were about my death) but man that was the hardest part of getting voted out early on this one, wanting to react to certain posts.

For the record I came down on "don't agree to substantive posts but awesoming the fluffier posts was probably ok" but wasn't sure so avoided it pretty much entirely.

That's pretty much what I understood it to be. If it was a comment about the gameplay, I didn't react. If it was just roleplay or someone having a funny response then I felt safe to.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Gizzy wrote: »
    I assumed with an action seer ability I would be able to see things like “sabotage” or hit a player 6 times when there’s only 3 laps. Easy to sit back and say what I should have done when you had all of the up front info.

Well like I said, telling me I was action seen allowed me to go ahead and do mafia badness.

I also think the village specials had a hard time because, the way the race mechanics work, it would be too easy for more powerful specials to just see the leader of the race each day to root out mafia.

discrider on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The race got in the way, but I suppose that was the point. Separating the village from the collectivist mindset made it too hard on them.

Pretty good though! Thank you for setting it up B!

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I went Body D/Boost C/Grip B with Technical Expert and tuned Max Speed each time and outside of the race where two people beat the shit out of me, it seemed to work very well. I was extremely well positioned to win the final race until I got MURDERED

I was also D/C/B, but with Reactionary. I also tuned Max Speed both nights and avoided rivalries.

Then I got voted out.

Thanks for hosting @MrBlarney I'd definitely be willing to try my luck at this again sometime.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Premium, Romantic Undead and I were extremely soft networking, so it's nice to see a pair of us take 2nd and 3rd.

Going A on speed with D on the other stats and just max speeding it each race was meant as a joke build but it ended up working alright.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Not gonna lie, I had 4 rounds of max acceleration, and was only like round 3 of that, which I realized I wasn't going max speed. Probably a better term for that.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Not gonna lie, I had 4 rounds of max acceleration, and was only like round 3 of that, which I realized I wasn't going max speed. Probably a better term for that.

Max Tokyo Drift

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    My take fwiw: Ghosts should not react to posts. Can't contribute once you're dead, sorry. And as a host, I realllllly don't want to have to police that so would hope people would cooperate and not make it a headache.

Seers: alignment seers can confirm a villager/mafia, action seers can generally only confirm bad actions and not innocence. They aren't network builders.

Never got to hit the track! :rotate:

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    i think if we'd had one less driver it would have been way, way harder for us.

as it was, we felt pretty in control, but i was genuinely worried at the end because a lot of it came down to just the racing.

• Options
    Oh I won’t be doing art for everyone this time as I’m working a lot, but I think I’ll do Infidel’s some time.

• Options
    Please note that the post right after the final narration has links to the spreadsheet with votes and broad actions, and an extended spoiler box with notes from yours truly on the development of the game mechanics.
    RIP

yeah this was always gonna be dang hard for the village to win unless the mafia all performed terribly in every race. They just needed to pick off the top performer each day to get a couple of their folks into high positions and bingo bango that's the bongo baby. Meanwhile the village can't risk doing the same because if they start murdering high placing villagers, the only chance for the village to win is gone; the vote was basically just a tool for collateral damage in this game because eliminating the mafia wasn't a realistic win condition. c'est la vie, phalla balance (phallance? is that anything?) is fuckin' hard.

Thanks for running MrBlarney!

Note that you only lost a place when you made an attack, and unless you were already at the very back of the field, your target would be getting quite a bit worse off than you would be. (For the record, the fixed Advantage and Disadvantage statuses were worth about +/- 1.25 points of speed at a base speed of 5, with a higher effect for higher speeds (e.g. +/- 1.37 at speed 6) and lower effect at lower speeds (e.g. +/- 1.11 at speed 4). It was best to work in a team with attacks. By partnering with just one other player, you could get a lot of coverage on a single target. One player in the team could continue ahead unhampered, while the other could hold up the shared target. And if a target got crashed out? Well, no more attack penalties for the rest of the race! All it takes is a little bit of teamwork, and you get much better results than you can alone.

I gotta be honest, was not a fan of the racing mechanic. To much felt out of my control, especially having to build a car from scratch.

I went with a B body but still managed to crash twice. I guess going for body was pointless? The only races I won/did good in were the ones I was untouched.

I also feel like the maps probably favored one or the other in turning versus speed, or what ever. So there was probably an optimal build from the get go.

Honestly I felt the attack seemed to be good for screwing over people, but the loss of a position made it seem negative. But I never really understood the rules.

Which goes into a minor tangent on the nature of Phalla: I personally prefer KISS games. The wall of text was a lot to take in. The more info you give the players, the higher the chances of suboptimal play. The mafia has the advantage of having a team to work it out and discuss strategywith. Due to the added bonus of the village competing, I feel players may of been reluctant to talk.

It also hurts that most times you run a phalla game, that's it. So the more untested mechanics you have, the more it can go off the rails. Another reason I like more vanilla phalla: it's well tested and prevents blowouts that leave one side feeling sore.

I also don't have a lot of time to sink into these games. Lately I feel I sign up cause I love the idea of these games and want to keep them going, but it also means I usually blunder into my own death like I almost did here.

Overall, a very interesting concept but clearly wasn't for me. And as always thanks to the hosts for hosting.

Sorry that the game wasn't to your taste, but the bells and whistles are kind of the trademark of many of my games, and very much a thing with this forum's mafia community in general. It's the kind of thing that sprung out to provide additional spice, and to accomodate for the fact that we have twenty or more players in each game. Completely vanilla rules are fine in traditional settings where you have maybe fifteen players at the most. But get beyond that and you probably need to introduce some less common roles to maintain good engagement. The wackiness won't always be this severe, and there will hopefully be more traditional games run by other people. To address a couple of your other points:
    • Body was still useful, I think, but it depended on how much you were going to be on the offense and attack others. Sometimes, crashing out is just the luck of the draw, even with a high body stat, especially if you also tune yourself towards high speed.
    • I tried to design the maps so that there would be about the same number of Technical sectors as High Speed sectors, and then about half again as many Balanced sectors. I have no idea what the overall optimal build is, but I don't think that matters all that much once you account for the social aspect of the game. A lot of your positioning could depend on if you were an attack target or not.

If you got saved by your Survivor ability, I told you in your race log. For the final race, TehSpectre was saved from a crash after being attacked by the rest of the mafia, on the first lap.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    It should have been kime. Their earnest and honest approach to F-ZERO has taught me to true meaning of racing. I will renounce my criminal ways from now on.

*a sad, slow version of Africa by Toto plays as I drive off into the sunset*

• Options
    Infidel wrote: »
    My take fwiw: Ghosts should not react to posts. Can't contribute once you're dead, sorry. And as a host, I realllllly don't want to have to police that so would hope people would cooperate and not make it a headache.

Seers: alignment seers can confirm a villager/mafia, action seers can generally only confirm bad actions and not innocence. They aren't network builders.

we live in fear of villager Infidel, apologies.

also fun fact, endless_serpents has a 100% mafia rate and a 100% win rate.

• Options
    Lucedes wrote: »

No apologies, Inf.
    Always kill the host as much as possible.

• Options
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Blarney, how lucky was I with survivor

also who attacked me!

the entire mafia lmao

• Options
    Lucedes wrote: »

I’m bound to be village next time, I’m very trustworthy now, did you not see my post just now?

• Options
    I’d like to be village next time so I can form debates and think about stuff, as opposed to my current practise of vaguely gesturing towards the horizon.

• Options
    kime wrote: »
    I'll have to say I'm feeling particularly village vibes from TehSpectre .. but it's for reasons people will prob yell at me for so I won't say until after the game.

Now I want to know more

In hindsight I prob shouldn’t have said even this much.

I happened to be refreshing the thread after narration and saw spectre actively posting. Then virgil posted his attack results. About ten min later spectre posted his results. Then 2 min later I got my PM. So I deduced spectre was not part of a mass mafia PM. And learned in real time why in some games there’s a rule about no talking until Host confirms PMs are out.

• Options
    kime wrote: »
    I'll have to say I'm feeling particularly village vibes from TehSpectre .. but it's for reasons people will prob yell at me for so I won't say until after the game.

Now I want to know more

In hindsight I prob shouldn’t have said even this much.

I happened to be refreshing the thread after narration and saw spectre actively posting. Then virgil posted his attack results. About ten min later spectre posted his results. Then 2 min later I got my PM. So I deduced spectre was not part of a mass mafia PM. And learned in real time why in some games there’s a rule about no talking until Host confirms PMs are out.

We got the same PMs as everyone else :P

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Body: D
    Boost: D
    Speed: A

Max Speed in all but 1 race, baby!

Survivor procced in every race saving me from crashes.

Yeah that's the perk I would have gone for as well, survivability. Inherited Invictus' Vengeful trait which was a dud. Didn't help already crashing out at the start!

Fun theme, definitely feels heavily mafia-favored when you just need to finish with 1 at the top so might do better as a tweaked competitive forum game of its own?
    Do enough coordinated attacks to drop places & eliminate villagers, doing the latter don't finish first as 1st place finishers are prime vote targets, throw a mafia under the bus midway for your top performer (this is why I wanted to vote out ahava if she was still alive on the final day) and Crimson's Cruisin'.

Thanks for hosting!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I feel pretty good about myself for finding Disc and Cythraul.

I feel not so good about myself for the mental and emotional breakdown I had midgame due to *everything* else in the world.

that really effected my play and my thinking. Sorry y'all.

I dunno that i'm cut out for phalla any more. maybe try again with something with less moving parts.