As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX South 22?!

SirUberNoobPwnrSirUberNoobPwnr Registered User regular
Hi PAX South Friends, I feel like July/August is the typical time for South to be announced and tickets to go on sale. If there's going to be a South 22, will you be going? I will for sure!

cqcb3p99yvzy.png

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I hope so!

• basotlbasotl San Antonio, TXRegistered User regular
    Plan to go and just waiting for when they announce it.

• SirUberNoobPwnrSirUberNoobPwnr Registered User regular
    It typically announced in July/August, right? So it should be any day now.

cqcb3p99yvzy.png
  • The Pizza KingThe Pizza King MissouriRegistered User new member
    Yes will go

• mnemonictutormnemonictutor A Mnemonic Tutor in Silicon Valley DominariaRegistered User regular
    I have not missed a south yet, and I don't intend to. I will definitely be going in January.

qbqtLfO.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I'll be going... if there is one. Texas has, unfortunately, not stepped up in vaccination efforts.

If they mandate proof of vaccination for attendees, I'm completely on board.

joshofalltrades on
  • mnemonictutormnemonictutor A Mnemonic Tutor in Silicon Valley DominariaRegistered User regular
    I'll be going... if there is one. Texas has, unfortunately, not stepped up in vaccination efforts.

If they mandate proof of vaccination for attendees, I'm completely on board.

That's where I'm at. It has been long enough. We're at the point now where those that wish to be part of society have done so. The rest can cry from the outside.

qbqtLfO.png
    I event went to south this year (Jan 21) without the convention there. I just love the city of SA. But I kept walking by the convention center dreaming and wishing we were all there again. I just love this convention so much. When I went in Jan I thought TX was doing great. Riverwalk was completely open, so were the bars/clubs/etc. 6 more months! Watching google daily to see if its announced. Come on PAX, we're waiting!

cqcb3p99yvzy.png
  • The PopeThe Pope Registered User regular
    I'm 100% in for PAX 2022 if it happens, I just hope we don't have a mask requirement. Walking around for 10+ hours a day with a mask on isn't my idea of fun.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
    -- Vroomfondel
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    If we're lucky and Delta burns through the US in about 45 days similarly to the UK, I'd be up for PAX 2022.

If they require proof of vaccination in order to enter that is. If things don't drastically improve before then than a mask requirement would be best too.

• shimwoodshimwood Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I'm unfortunately on the fence for next year. I'm already thinking about doing C2E2 and PAX is so soon afterwards that I may not be able to afford both.

Edit: Unless PA moves the convention somewhere outside the state of Texas, I don't think I'd be willing to attend. It was nice knowing y'all.

shimwood on
    khd33hubozxv.png
  • jlewis30jlewis30 Registered User new member
    I cannot, in good conscience, spend the kind of money I spend to go to PAX (myself and 3 family members, plus 3 to 6 addon children) in the state of Texas. It is also a bit of an annoying location. Denver is a bigger hub with nice venue's close to the airport. Las Vegas has cheap flights from *everywhere*. There are better options. Any word on this from PAX organizers?

I completely understand the personal reservations over spending money in Texas, but Denver would be an absolute no-go at that time of year. People don't generally want to go to a convention in what is guaranteed to be cold weather with a high likelihood of snow. Vegas is way too far west - they'd be abandoning the idea of a more centrally located site entirely. Unless they want to move the convention to a completely different time of year, or give up on being centrally located, Texas is pretty much it. I'd love to have a PAX in Chicago, but not in January.

San Antonio is one of the best convention cities in the country. The convention center is big and well laid out and there are a ton of hotels and restaurants and bars at various price points right nearby. In the middle of winter it's frequently warm enough to be out in shorts all day long. There are good reasons why so many conventions and professional conferences are held there.

The state of Texas isn't going to be benefiting all that much from your participation in a con there. The county and city and local business owners and employees benefit far more, and Bexar County is a blue county that trends against what you don't like about Texas.

• shimwoodshimwood Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    C2E2 takes place in December and from what I hear, it draws a pretty decent crowd. It probably helps that there is a hotel connected directly to McCormick Place. Also, given the time of year that PAX South takes place, Chicago doesn't usually see a lot of snow that weekend compared to the end of the month/early February. The biggest obstacle with Chicago is that it wouldn't be PAX South anymore.

Maybe they can move it to Shreveport. I don't know how big their convention center is, but at least it's still in the South and would be a good change of scenery.

shimwood on
    khd33hubozxv.png
    I've lived in the Chicagoland area for all but 1 year of my life, I know the weather. I don't even want to do a con in Chicago in January, and I already live here. If you moved it to sometime in May or June to put in between East and West, then sure.

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    I doubt PAX/ReedPop would be willing to put on a show in a place where they legally would not be allowed to require masks or vaccines.

row1.pngrow2.png
    Someone has to know if a South is happening! Come on Pax, make the announcement.

I will for sure be going if there is one. I disagree with a lot that is happening in the state but I'm not the kind of person to boycott a state due to their policies. Those businesses survive on conventions and high foot traffic. Locals don't want to go to the Riverwalk. I love that area, I love spending money in that area, and I love being with my gamer friends. The locals will vote on the policies/politician the rest of the county seems to be hating on when the time comes.

cqcb3p99yvzy.png
    I'm crossing my fingers that everything settles down by January, though I know that is unlikely. If the right measures are in place, I would love to attend, but not if it is going to be a free-for-all like nothing is happening. I have tentatively planned to travel home to TX the week before and leave the week after MLK weekend, so I am prepared either way. We will see what happens. PAX is a private event held on private property, so they have the ability to set whatever rules they want. I will be interested to see what happens.

qbqtLfO.png
  • VooDrewDollVooDrewDoll Registered User new member
    I don’t think it’s happening. :/ . It’s practically October and there’s ZERO news !!

On another note ; these cons are about people coming together for our shared love of gaming . Leave the politics out of it.

• The PopeThe Pope Registered User regular
    Yeah this is nuts. If they're having a PAX South again they need to tell everyone so people can make plans, reservations, etc. If they're not having it because they're afraid of low attendance, or just want to punish Texas, they need to let everyone know so we can make other plans. Either way, I think they owe the community some kind of announcement, double quick. Even if it's just "PAX is happening we just don't know when" that's better than nothing.

I'm looking at Dreamhack as a possible alternate, anyone else making backup plans?

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
    -- Vroomfondel
  • HyperSplattHyperSplatt Registered User regular
    Now that the governor has banned PAX from being able to require attendees to be vaccinated, I'm guessing the chances of an in-person South have gone way down.

• FUNCHOMCLALAFUNCHOMCLALA Registered User regular
    Now that the governor has banned PAX from being able to require attendees to be vaccinated, I'm guessing the chances of an in-person South have gone way down.

We were poised and ready to go back in 2022, but I agree, this is going to kill it.

If we don't hear anything by the end of the month my guess is it's not going to happen. Still holding out hope since 21 stuff is still going on and tickets have been going on sale uber last minute for other PAX events. Either way, if there isn't a South in 22 I will be going back to SA just to have fun in the city. I did that this year without PAX and had a blast. Just chilling on the river, trying new food/drinks. Getting to know the city for more than just the Riverwalk and PAX.

cqcb3p99yvzy.png
  • TelanisWSUTelanisWSU Registered User regular
    Well, email announcement just went out. There won't be any more PAX South period apparently. Sad, it was much more enjoyable to me than West/Prime, as it was so overcrowded (and Texas/San Antonio is a cool place).

• Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I just saw the Twitter post. It has been years since I went (2017 was my last) but I loved my time there. It is unfortunate but I will always have the memories of 2015 and 2017

This space for rent
This discussion has been closed.